Brian's 2013 Book Log

Brian.

When my reading mojo is struggling I find that reading non-fiction helps to kick start it again, I guess I'm just a little odd in that way. I keep a log on Goodreads but I didn't realise that I don't have a list on the first page of my thread. I'll add one at some point in the near future, so far it stands at 33 so far this year.

Ah, that would make sense, with the non-fiction books. I'm sorry to hear your mojo was being all whack :( 33 books read, and I think I spotted a lot fewer books bought, so at least so far you're on track in terms of buying and reading :D

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When my reading mojo is struggling I find that reading non-fiction helps to kick start it again, I guess I'm just a little odd in that way. I keep a log on Goodreads but I didn't realise that I don't have a list on the first page of my thread. I'll add one at some point in the near future, so far it stands at 33 so far this year.

Doesn't strike me as odd at all: you get a wee bit fed up / sated with fiction, so you go and read something completely different.  I do the same: there's some fabulous non-fiction around, as good as (or better) than almost any fiction.  There's some dross too.......

I find it quite interesting that sites like this focus almost exclusively on fiction (just take a look at how many topic areas are reserved for the myriad of non-fiction books....1).  but when one comes to the review pages in magazines, newspapers etc, the balance is very different.  Indeed, I subscribe to The Literary Review, and the vast majority of reviews are on non-fiction.

Mind you, given that men represent only around 20% of the fiction market (which is probably the same proportion as contribute to this forum), maybe we're both a bit odd in reading this fiction stuff at all!

(BTW, I'm currently reading non-fiction: Dominic Sandbrook's Seasons in the Sun, an immensely readable narrative history of the period 1974-79. Gripping - as good as any fiction, with the added interest that it actually happened).

Edited by willoyd

I'm currently on a non fiction kick too - I didn't think it's odd at all, although I would say that ;)

I like to learn about things, and I often find non fiction just as entertaining as fiction. I'm currently reading about the history of the IRA, and that's just as dramatic/horrifying in places as any fiction could be.

I also just finished Breaking Vegas, which I know you recommended, which I'm assuming is a dramatised account but is certainly edge of your seat stuff.

Ah, that would make sense, with the non-fiction books. I'm sorry to hear your mojo was being all whack :( 33 books read, and I think I spotted a lot fewer books bought, so at least so far you're on track in terms of buying and reading :D

I have bought fewer but I still buy books even though my TBR is huge I just don't think I've added many of them to my goodreads account. I only add my non-fiction stuff on there as I read it for some unknown reason.

Shock Doctrine sounds brilliant. I had already heard of disaster capitalism from Big Son who comes across it in his line of work. Must read this thanks. 

You should definitely check it out when you get a chance.

Doesn't strike me as odd at all: you get a wee bit fed up / sated with fiction, so you go and read something completely different.  I do the same: there's some fabulous non-fiction around, as good as (or better) than almost any fiction.  There's some dross too.......

I find it quite interesting that sites like this focus almost exclusively on fiction (just take a look at how many topic areas are reserved for the myriad of non-fiction books....1).  but when one comes to the review pages in magazines, newspapers etc, the balance is very different.  Indeed, I subscribe to The Literary Review, and the vast majority of reviews are on non-fiction.

Mind you, given that men represent only around 20% of the fiction market (which is probably the same proportion as contribute to this forum), maybe we're both a bit odd in reading this fiction stuff at all!

(BTW, I'm currently reading non-fiction: Dominic Sandbrook's Seasons in the Sun, an immensely readable narrative history of the period 1974-79. Gripping - as good as any fiction, with the added interest that it actually happened).

As I've mentioned before a few times on this forum I only started to read fiction a few years ago, up to that point I read non-ficiton exclusively.

I'm currently on a non fiction kick too - I didn't think it's odd at all, although I would say that ;)

I like to learn about things, and I often find non fiction just as entertaining as fiction. I'm currently reading about the history of the IRA, and that's just as dramatic/horrifying in places as any fiction could be.

I also just finished Breaking Vegas, which I know you recommended, which I'm assuming is a dramatised account but is certainly edge of your seat stuff.

Although they don't say it is a dramatised account I do think some of it is overstated. That said, it is a true story and quite a remarkable one.

The Dogs of Riga by Henning Mankell

book-en-vintage-1860469590-large.jpg

Synopsis

Sweden, winter, 1991. Inspector Kurt Wallander and his team receive an anonymous tip-off. A few days later a life raft is washed up on a beach. In it are two men, dressed in expensive suits, shot dead.

The dead men were criminals, victims of what seems to have been a gangland hit. But what appears to be an open-and-shut case soon takes on a far more sinister aspect. Wallander travels across the Baltic Sea, to Riga in Latvia, where he is plunged into a frozen, alien world of police surveillance, scarcely veiled threats, and lies.

Doomed always to be one step behind the shadowy figures he pursues, only Wallander's obstinate desire to see that justice is done brings the truth to light.

My Thoughts

After enjoying Faceless Killers so much I decided that I couldn't wait too long before I read my next Wallander book. Fortunately my local Waterstones had a copy of it, as is usual though, I came out with more than one book, such is life :D

Initially I thought I knew what to expect as it seemed the story would be one about foreign gangs importing drugs into Sweden. I was in for a very pleasant surprise as the story is a mix of detective fiction, post cold war history and a thriller all rolled into one. Clearly Mankell has done his research into Latvia during this period in it's history without bogging down the reader with facts. It would be far too easy to show how much effort went into this with too much data but you get just what you need and no more. This allows the story to progress at a decent pace which makes his a very readable book.

I really like Wallander as a character even if he does poses some of the usual detective cliches. You really get to feel his level of isolation throughout the book brought about by events in the previous book. The atmosphere created by using Latvia plays off very well with his character. The Latvian people don't feel as though they can trust each other and at many points Wallander doesn't feel as if he can trust his own judgement. When he does sometimes it works out ok and other times it ends very badly just as it did for many normal people during the cold war. Another thing I really like about Wallander is that he isn't a superman policeman. When he punches someone, he gets hurts quite badly, when he gets out of sticky situations its usual down to a combination of experience and luck.

I really enjoyed this book and I am looking forward to getting a copy of the next book in the series.

4/5 (I really liked it).

The Great Tax Robbery by Richard Brooks

cover_great-tax-robbery-9781851689354.jp

Synopsis

Investigative journalist and former tax-inspector Richard Brooks charts how the UK has become a global tax haven that serves the super wealthy, all with the Government's help. Discover: Why thousands of British state schools and NHS hospitals are owned by shell companies based in offshore tax havens. How British companies like Vodafone strongly influence tax laws Why multinationals like Google and Starbucks can operate almost tax-free in the UK. How the taxman turns a blind eye to billions in illegally evaded tax in secret Swiss bank accounts. How footballers like Wayne Rooney use image rights companies to reduce their tax liability.

(Taken from Amazon)

My Thoughts
I picked this book up recently at Waterstones because recently I have developed an interest in economics and especially how money and politics mix around the world. Tax avoidance in the UK has become a really hot topic in recent years. With companies such as Amazon, Vodafone, Starbucks and Boots all being involved. I wanted to learn how these companies got away with avoiding truly massive sums of tax when the average person on the street is paying more tax than ever before.

The first chapter of the book gives a short history of taxation in the UK, how it came about and the attempts to end it. This is a very interesting subject and I learned a few things along the way. I had a general idea about how it came about but I didn't realise there had been several times when it had been suspended.

The rest of the book deals with different way that major multinational companies avoid paying tax. Tax avoidance is different from tax evasion, the latter being completely illegal, the former sitting in a kind of grey area. Some of these companies have effectively paid zero tax on profits, often in collusion with the HMRC (the tax office). It is hard not to feel extremely angry when reading about this as it is another case of the rich getting richer whilst everyone else suffers.

I found following the ways which companies do this a little bit tricky at times. I am sure the author has simplified things as much as possible but a few times I had to read and re-read sections a few times over. Despite this it is a book which flows well and remains interesting throughout.

3/5 (I liked it).

• 3 weeks later...

Three Dog Night by Elsebeth Egholm

cover.jpg

Synopsis

Ex-convict Peter Boutrup has moved to remote, rural eastern Denmark to start a new life and leave his past behind. But when a young woman goes missing on New Year's Eve and he then discovers the body of Ramses, an old acquaintance
from prison, things start to unravel. Two days after the disappearance they find the body of a young girl in the harbour - she is naked, attached to an anchor and her face has been torn off. Is this the body of the missing woman and is it connected with Ramses' murder? Peter Boutrup must accept that the answer lies hidden in the past that he is trying to forget.
(Taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

In the ever growing world of Scandinavian crime fiction another author has been given the chance at having their work translated into English for the first time. I am in the fortunate position to be given this book to review prior to it's publication. I'll admit that I was a bit concerned that I was starting to become Scandi-Crime fatigued but I really enjoyed this great book.

This isn’t the first book written by Elsebeth Egholm, in fact it is her 10th if my maths is correct and it shows her craft as a writer. It would be easy to fall back on comparisons to other Scandinavian crime writers that I like such as Asa Larsson, Jo Nesbo or Henning Mankell but Egholm has a distinct style all of her own and it stands out.

This book has a cornucopia of characters all with a story of his or her own from the underbelly of Danish society. These characters mesh really well with the harsh Baltic winter in the book. This creates an atmosphere which on the surface is pure as the winter snow but when you scratch the surface there is a more sinister edge to things. Interestingly, I found the main character of Peter Boutrup a little weak at first but as the story goes on there is more flesh added to him and I started to really like him.

Peter has recently been released from prison and wants to make a clean start on life and leave his past behind him. His neighbour Felix has given up on life and is literally a shell of what she was previously. Mark Bille Hanson is a policeman who has returned to his local town with the intention for him to recuperate from an illness. Finally, Kirsten Rojel is a diver who is caught in between her passion for diving and the expectations of her father as to what is a suitable job for a woman. All these characters have secrets and their lives collide during the story. Kirsten was a character I particularly liked and is the one character which really stood out for me. I think this was a combination of her being a strong female while at the same time being distinctly human. None of the character stories require a large leap of faith something which I can find a little annoying at times.

The book really flows well and I found myself reading 50-60 pages at a time, something which I rarely do. I had thought that at 462 pages it would take me a while to get through but it was a real ‘page turner’. I ended up reading it in just over a day due to the way that it really sucked me in. At several times I thought I knew who the killer was only to be thrown off the scent again. The plot is fairly involved but not to the point where I struggled to suss out who was doing what.

I think fans of thrillers and crime novels will love this book and I really hope the next one gets published in English before too long.

4/5 (I really liked it).

The Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima

tumblr_mifimrSPWb1qael6oo1_400.jpg

Synopsis

Because of the boyhood trauma of seeing his mother make love to another man in the presence of his dying father, Mizoguchi becomes a hopeless stutterer. Taunted by his schoolmates, he feels utterly alone untill he becomes an acolyte at a famous temple in Kyoto, where he develops an all-consuming obsession with the temple's beauty. This powerful story of dedication and sacrifice brings together Mishima's preoccupations with violence, desire, religion and national history to dazzling effect.(Taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

I'm not too sure when or where this book came into my awareness but I have had it sitting on my bookcase for a few months now. I had initially planned to read Confessions of a Mask first because that was the first Mishima book which caught my attention but I felt drawn to this as my next read. I wasn't too sure whether the synopsis was something that would appeal to me but I was intrigued as to why Haruki Murakami dislikes the work on Mishima so much.

Although it is not a big book I found it slow going especially in the early chapters. I really didn't like the character of Mizoguchi and in truth I found him quite annoying. I felt similar about him as I did with Holden Caulfield when I read Catcher in the Rye, perhaps he is a character that suits younger readers more? I did find that Kashiwaga grew on me a bit despite the fact that he was portrayed as an unlikeable person, I think I felt that he was truer to life that Mizoguchi.

Another bugbear I had with the book is that it seemed to take forever to get to the conclusion of the story. I wasn't aware that the book was based on true events and so I found the build up to the climax pretty laborious. However, as the conclusion got close I started to like the book a bit more.

At the end of the day I think that this might be a bit of a love it or hate it book for a lot of people. I wouldn't go so far as to say I hated it but it didn't move me either. It was an ok read but for me nothing more than that. I am hoping that Confessions of a Mask is a bit more my kind of thing, the synopsis seems to fit me better.

2/5 (It was ok).

Can't Swim, Can't Ride, Can't Run by Andy Holgate

bookcovernew.jpg

Synopsis

This book is both a lesson in true grit and determination, but its goal is one that is attainable. Andy isn't a sporting superstar, he holds down a 9-5 job and all the pressures that go with it; he isn't blessed with speed and talent; there are no multi-million pound sponsorship deals; yet this remarkable "common man" is inspiring in a way that some of today's sporting superstars have forgotten how to be. You wouldn't recognize Andy in the street, yet his story provides valuable lessons to us all: "Never give up" and "Anything is possible." Can't Swim, Can't Ride, Can't Run follows Andy Holgate's epic journey from being an overweight librarian to an Ironman triathlete. Before he could even begin the rollercoaster ride which amassed more punctures than Andy cares to remember, this would-be Superman had first to buy a second-hand bike and take swimming
lessons. Along the way, he ended up in hospital, dealt with family crises, encountered crocodiles and deadly amoebas, and persuaded his friends that doing an Ironman event is what normal people do on their stag weekend. This is the inspirational, amusing and moving story of how one normal bloke learnt how to fall off a bike and not injure himself, to run a marathon despite two dodgy knees, and most importantly how not to drown.
(Taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

I picked this book up at a local book store recently to fill the 3rd slot in a 3 for 2 purchase. I am a sucker for these kinds of deals even though I am aware of the marketing behind it. What can I say, I like buying books too much to not get sucked in. In recent years I have read a few books which have been nominated for 'sports book of the year' and they have been fantastic reads so I had high hopes for this book. The blurb on the front cover mentions that this was shortlisted for the 'best new writer' award so I decided to give it a shot.

I have had a passing interest in triathlons and specifically Ironman triathlons for a few years. There is something about the mindset required to do an ultramarathon or an Ironman which really intrigues me. Physically, doing a 2.4 mile swim, a 112 mile bike ride and a 26.2 mile run is a huge task but the mental fortitude required is even more impressive to me. So, I understood the basics and a few of the technical aspects of triathlons but read this book as a relative stranger to the sport.

Andy has a 9-to-5 job, he is overweight and he feels like his life is slipping out of his fingers. In short he feels crap about life and is wallowing in self pity when a chance meeting/conversation happens. As a result of this conversation he finds himself agreeing to take part in a sprint triathlon. He trains with friends and despite having little experience with swimming and having to buy a second hand bike off of eBay he finishes and finds himself hooked.

The rest of the book details the trials and tribulations he encounters along the way as he takes part in a variety of events including marathons, Olympic distance triathlons, half Ironman triathlon and finally full Ironman events. Andy reveals that the book came about as a result of the fact that he had kept a blog and at times the book feels like a blog which has been edited into being a book. Despite this the writing is pretty good and even though it gets a little repetitive in places it is an engaging read.

There are a few negative about the book for me though. At no point is nutrition really mentioned. This a huge part of training and it seems that despite the super human distances he doesn't lose that much weight. Perhaps this is just something that would really interest me an not many other people so that is why it was omitted. The other negative for me is the fact that the blurb and title are misleading. Andy can run, and in fact, despite the fact that he has a history of knee problems as a child I think he would be best described as being a lapsed athlete/runner. As a frequent runner I can say without a shadow of doubt that a person cannot go from being a sedentary man in their 30's to doing a sprint triathlon in less than a month and then onto an Ironman in 10 months. Where running is involved mileage has to be added gradually, especially in the beginning, otherwise an injury will be suffered. He can also swim albeit not very well, this seems to be a common complaint about the book.

This does not and should not detract from his achievements though, it is a remarkable feat for anyone to achieve. Something which really stands out is the support, dedication and sacrifice needed to train for these events. This doesn't just apply to the athlete but also their respective family and friends. Andy has some great people as friends to train with and a very understanding wife. These things are clearly critical to his success and it is very nice that he is at such pains to point this out.

This book is a pretty motivational read and I couldn't help but feel like I fancied giving a triathlon a crack.

3/5 (I liked it).

The Laundry Man by Ken Rijock

9780241954171.jpg

Synopsis

Meet Ken Rijock. Decorated Vietnam veteran. High flying lawyer. And one of the world's biggest money launderers.

In 1980s Miami, Ken Rijock was the middle man between the Colombians and the domestic cartels flooding America's streets with cocaine. Every Friday, carrying hundreds of thousands of dollars in a tattered suitcase, he would fly by private jet to a tax haven in the Caribbean. Rijock's operation was responsible for 'cleaning' over $200 million of dirty cash. And all the time he was in love with a cop.

It finally came crashing down when a client testified against him. He agreed go undercover for the DEA, and he now works with banks and governments to track the new generation of money launderers.

Like Frank Abagnale's Catch Me If You Can and Howard Marks' Mr Nice, The Laundry Man is the remarkable story of an ordinary man caught up in an extraordinary life.

(Taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

I picked this book up recently from a local charity shop where it had been filed with the fiction books. I have read several books on how drug dealing empires were built and inevitably fell but none which detailed how the vast sums of money was laundered.

The books starts about halfway through the story of Rijock's laundering career and then jumps back to the beginning. Rijock wasn't a career criminal at the start, he was unhappy with life and drifted into the business. He was a lawyer and it all started by offering a few bits of advice to people he socialised with in the growing Miami drug scene. Cocaine was the drug of choice and like many people at the time he was enjoying the party lifestyle.

Slowly, offering legal advice turned into starting up shell companies in tax havens and smuggling millions of dollars out of Miami to clean it up for the drug cartels and the mafia. Rijock is pretty up front when he talks about how in the early days he convinced himself that he wasn't actually breaking the law. At the time he was living and in a relationship with a police officer so he was in a tricky spot. I think its obvious that she knew what was going on but they had an understanding that she wouldn't ask and he wouldn't tell.

Far from just involving the cartels and mafia the scheme involved many banks and high level officials in the Caribbean. This allowed him to act without fear of the US having any legal power in these countries. What he didn't account for what a joint task force between US and UK agencies.

This book was an ok read. The writing wasn't great but it's not terrible so it look me a little longer to read than I had anticipated. Rijock comes across as a likeable man and there are some great insights into the world of money laundering.

3/5 (It was ok).

Who Runs Britain by Robert Peston

peston.jpg

Synopsis

On 13 September 2007, Robert Peston broke the news that Northern Rock had become a victim of the global credit crunch and was seeking an emergency loan from the Bank of England. It was the latest in a long line of scoops by this award-winning journalist. Over the weeks that followed, the Government found itself exposed to the Rock to the tune of 57 billion, or almost £2000 for every taxpayer. As Robert Peston shows in his fascinating new book, the seeds for the collapse of Northern Rock
and the upheavals in the financial markets were sown years before.

WHO RUNS BRITAIN? is the first time anyone has drawn all the threads together to weave a story that's rich in extraordinary characters and outrageous feats of economic bravado. This book is about the widening gap between the super-rich and the rest of us. It explores and explodes the myth that the financial creativity of those who are amassing these vast fortunes is good for the wider economy and for all of us. (Taken from Amazon)

My Thoughts

Having shown a recent interest in economics and politics a work mate of mine recommended this book to me. He had already read it so loaned me his copy and I felt obliged to finish it sooner rather than later. For those who don't know, Robert Peston is a financial journalist who is employed by the BBC. During the 'financial crisis' that hit Europe in 2007/2008 he rose to prominence as the 'go-to' man to explain what was going on and how it may be solved.

Having finished the book, a few things really stood out to me. Peston is unsurprisingly a fairly staunch capitalist, he LOVES Phillip Green and he has a tendency to go into detail about things which don't really go along with the title of the book. All that said, the book is a pretty good read and there are some really interesting things which he has clearly done a lot of research into.

Some of the chapters go into detail about the very basics of what caused the meltdown. Although I am well versed in these it proves that Peston has written this book with the average person on the street in mind. The first chapter talks about how too much credit was available far too easily. Although there isn't one thing that caused the crash this is perhaps the main reason behind it. Sadly, few people were saying this prior to the crash and it fairly obvious that this was driven by greed.

Peston covers how private equity firms work, how hedge funds make their money and how the pensions system in the UK was mismanaged. He also explains how short selling works and how derivatives work. Personally I think that Michael Lewis does this much better in his book Boomerang. Lewis also covers how the financial markets around the world met in a perfect storm which is something that Peston barely touches upon.

There is a lot of information about how the government are basically in bed with big business and how many questionable things have been done, especially where cash for peerages are involved. He pulls few punches when dealing the Labour who were in power at the time. There is an element of the benefit of hindsight here but what he says is correct and defending certain decisions taken is impossible. Sadly this is something which has got worse, there seems to be a move to privatize the NHS with the people taking the decisions standing to gain financially if it does happen. This is something which really angers me but I digress.

The parts where the book falls down are strange meandering chapters which seem fairly unrelated to the topic in hand. There is a whole chapter dedicated to Phillip Green, someone who is clearly a huge idol to Peston and frankly I found it a bit sickening. There are reasons to like and admire Green and there reasons to dislike him, Peston only covers the former. He also goes into great depth about the trials and tribulations of Marks & Spencer which again seems out of place.

All things considered this was a decent enough read even if it doesn't always stick to the topic in hand.

3/5 (I liked it).

I decided to replace my old keyboard Kindle yesterday as it's looking pretty battered and a lot of the keys are fairly unreadable. I opted for a Wifi Paperwhite and it occurred to me that I still buy paper books new. I had a quick look at my most recent 10 purchases of new paper books and found that I would have saved a lot of money if I had bought the Kindle versions where available. So from now on I will not buy a new book in paper form unless it is unavailable as an e-book or from my library. I've pretty much ran out of space again for books so buying them electronically makes even more sense. I won't be giving up hunting around second hand book shops though, they are such good value for money and great fun.

I pretty much do the same Brian.  Only very special books or authors automatically get paperbacks, everything else is Kindle first, paperback second.  I do still buy books, mostly when I manage to get to a bookshop, but there aren't any decent ones close to me any more (which was one of the reasons ebooks became a much more viable option, even before I realised how much I enjoyed using an ereader).  The good thing about being selective about the paperbacks I buy, is that they do tend to be more expensive, and I'm much more selective about what I will buy, but the indie bookshops I like best often have a much more wide ranging selection including a lot of books that aren't available in ebook format and I'm doing my best to support them when I can, as none of them are particularly close, so the cost of petrol or train fares have to be taken into account as well. 

Edited by chesilbeach

I won't be giving up hunting around second hand book shops though, they are such good value for money and great fun.

I`ve found quite a few favourite authors that way - Deborah Harkness, Kathy Reichs, Nelson De Mille - when I`ve come across their used books  and thought ` I`ll just give that a go`. :smile:

I pretty much do the same Brian.  Only very special books or authors automatically get paperbacks, everything else is Kindle first, paperback second.  I do still buy books, mostly when I manage to get to a bookshop, but there aren't any decent ones close to me any more (which was one of the reasons ebooks became a much more viable option, even before I realised how much I enjoyed using an ereader).  The good thing about being selective about the paperbacks I buy, is that they do tend to be more expensive, and I'm much more selective about what I will buy, but the indie bookshops I like best often have a much more wide ranging selection including a lot of books that aren't available in ebook format and I'm doing my best to support them when I can, as none of them are particularly close, so the cost of petrol or train fares have to be taken into account as well. 

That sounds like the best approach. We don't have an independent bookshops in my town anymore but we do have a very good Waterstones. The shop itself isn't particularly large but they stock loads of good books and the staff are extremely helpful.

I`ve found quite a few favourite authors that way - Deborah Harkness, Kathy Reichs, Nelson De Mille - when I`ve come across their used books  and thought ` I`ll just give that a go`. :smile:

I have to admit, I am a sucker for a decent book cover, I've discovered a fair few authors that way.

The New Moscow Philosophy by Vyacheslav Pyetsukh

the-new-moscow-philosphy.jpg

Synopsis

A communal apartment in late Soviet-era Moscow. An elderly tenant — the daughter of the apartment's original owner — has disappeared after seeing a ghost. Over the course of a weekend the other occupants meet in the kitchen to argue over who is more deserving of the room she has apparently vacated. If the old woman was murdered, each tenant is a suspect since each would have a motive: the "augmentation of living space." As two of the tenants engage in an extended debate over the nature of evil, they take it upon themselves to solve the mystery and nail the culprit, and it becomes clear that the entire tableau is a reprise of Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment. (Taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

I will put my hand up and admit that I bought this book last year on the strength of 2 things. Firstly, I love the cover, it instantly caught my attention amongst the uninspired covers which surrounded it. Secondly, the author is Russian and I have been slowly easing myself into Russian literature and decided that something a little more modern would be a good idea.

There are loads of references to Crime & Punishment in this book and even though I have read it, I don't think someone who hadn't read it would suffer. There were also a few nods to Russian culture in the book but the translator has very kindly added a collection of references in the back which explains what they mean.

Overall I found the book enjoyable but it did tend to become annoying in places. Where the actual story is involved, the writing is fine, the plot interesting and the characters fairly engaging. However, I found the extended discourses between the 2 main characters on the nature of evil and the connection between literature and life very turgid. They really seemed to slow the book to a crawl in places where I would have preferred it to carry on as normal.

There are a lot of characters, some borrowed from Crime & Punishment directly, and it can get a bit confusing as to who is who in the early stages. This is further compounded by the way that Russian names have a formal and an informal form which means every character has 2 names. I expected this so I knew it was coming but someone new to Russian literature may be caught out by this for a while.

This was an ok read but I don't get all the critical acclaim behind it. I guess that it would probably be better appreciated by literature buffs instead of your average reader.

2/5 (It was OK).

I have added Who Runs Britain? and Boomerang to my wishlist.

On the book-buying topic, I too don't buy paper books anymore. If I'm looking for a book, first place I look now is Amazon for the Kindle version. If it's not available on Kindle, then I try my library. If I still can't get my hands on it, I generally tend to push it further down my TBR pile. I think I would only buy a paper book again if I had no chance of getting the e-book version or the library copy.

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

709905.jpg

Synopsis

The compelling story of two outsiders striving to find their place in an unforgiving world.

Drifters in search of work, George and his simple minded friend Lennie have nothing in the world except each other and a dream--a dream that one day they will have some land of their own. Eventually they find work on a ranch in California's Salinas Valley, but their hopes are doomed as
Lennie, struggling against extreme cruelty, misunderstanding and feelings of jealousy becomes a victim of his own strength.

Tackling universal themes and giving a voice to America's lonmely and dispossed, Of Mice and Men has proved one of Steinbeck's most popular works, achieving success as a novel, a Broadway play and three acclaimed films.
(Taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

I have managed to get to the age of 32 in my life without having read this book whereas a lot of my friends have despite not being readers. The simple reason for this is the fact that I was not offered the chance (or forced) to read it as part of my English literature studies. I decided to start the recent read-a-thon with a novella and this seemed to fit the bill perfectly.

This is a beautifully written book about the relationship between 2 friends and farm hands, George and Lennie. Their dream is to save enough money to be able to afford a small area of land to call their own. Lennie, who is mentally handicapped, has an even simpler dream, to live with George on the land with some rabbits to look after.

If obvious from the outset that they are forced to move about mainly due to things Lennie does wrong in previous jobs. Lennie clearly doesn't understand human interaction very well and isn't aware of his own strength. Despite this George and Lennie care greatly for each other and their friendship is one of the strongest I have come across in fiction.

I really liked this book and I found that by the end I really cared for the characters. I saw the final act of the book as an ultimate act of friendship and compassion. I can see this being a book which I re-read.

4/5 (I really liked it).

Like you Brian I haven't yet managed to read this in my 25 years (plus a few ;) ) on earth. I keep meaning to read it and then never get hold of a copy. I must get one from the library!

Your review has made it a more urgent acquisition - thanks :)

Like you Brian I haven't yet managed to read this in my 25 years (plus a few ;) ) on earth. I keep meaning to read it and then never get hold of a copy. I must get one from the library!

Your review has made it a more urgent acquisition - thanks :)

I'm sure you will enjoy it but even if you don't think it's great its so short that it takes no time at all to read.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

HandmaidsTale1.jpg

Synopsis

The Republic of Gilead offers Offred only one function: to breed. If she deviates, she will, like dissenters, be hanged at the wall or sent out to die slowly of radiation sickness. But even a repressive state cannot obliterate desire – neither Offred's nor that of the two men on which her future hangs.

Brilliantly conceived and executed, this powerful evocation of twenty-first-century America gives full rein to Margaret Atwood's devastating irony, wit and astute perception.
(Taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

The other book I managed to read during the read-a-thon was The Handmaid's Tale. I bought this book a few months back as it always seems to get pretty good reviews. I purposefully stay away from reading details of a book prior to reading it so I had no idea what the book was about or even what genre (if any) it fitted into.

In the first few chapters I wasn't sure what exactly was going on as the book starts without any back story. I'm not sure how I would best describe Atwood's style of writing, its unlike any I've come across before. The book is very readable but I still had to read the pages slowly enough to take in what was going on. The descriptions of the dystopian world of Gilead are fantastic and I could really visualise it.

I really liked the way that back story was dripped in a bit at a time while the main plot was developing. I can't say that I engaged with any of the characters but to me that made the book even better as t felt like a warning of what could happen in our future. Although I don't subscribe to that way of thinking it is an interesting idea to think about. Towards the end of the book I really had no idea how it would end and I made quite a few wrong guesses. The final chapter is a great literary device and really ties everything together while still leaving plenty of room for thinking.

The only downside for me is that I felt as though there was more out there which was left unsaid. It feels as if Atwood has more of the story somewhere at home and has only given us an insight into this world. I guess a sign of a good book is one that leaves the reader wanting more  but I think I needed a little more.

This is a good book and a very thought provoking read.

4/5 (I really liked it).