Brian's 2013 Book Log

Brian.

Ahh this sounds like a good tip, I want to read the books but haven't heard much about the ones before The Redbreast so I was hoping it would be okay to just dive straight into book three. I guess he gives you background info anyway does he? Great review of The Snowman Brian :)

Yeah, there's enough background info in The Redbreast. Plus it's got one of the best suspense sequences I've yet read :hide::smile:

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee

Disgrace_by_J.M._Coetzee+2.jpg

Synopsis

A divorced, middle-aged English professor finds himself increasingly unable to resist affairs with his female students. When discovered by the college authorities, he is expected to apologise and repent in an effort to save his job, but he refuses to become a scapegoat in what he see as as a show trial designed to reinforce a stringent political correctness.

He preempts the authorities and leaves his job, and the city, to spend time with his grown-up lesbian daughter on her remote farm. Things between them are strained - there is much from the past they need to reconcile - and the situation becomes critical when they are the victims of a brutal and horrifying attack.

In spectacularly powerful and lucid prose, J.M. Coetzee uses all his formidable skills to engage with a post-apartheid culture in unexpected and revealing ways. This examination into the sexual and politcal lawlines of modern South Africa as it tries desperately to start a fresh page in its history is chilling, uncompromising and unforgettable.

(Taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

I've had this sitting on my bookcase for a while now, in fact, it was one of the first books from the '1001' list that I coveted. Coetzee is an author that I had heard mentioned in literary broadcasts and, being a Booker winning writer instantly made me want to see what he was all about. South Africa is a country I know little about and I am always looking to read more books from different countries. This week after finishing my previous book, Disgrace stuck out from my bookcase like a beacon and demanded that it's time had come.

I had tried to avoid reading too much into what the book was about prior to reading it as I wanted it to be as fresh an experience as possible. Due to this I had no idea about what was about to happen and for me this was a wise decision to take. The book is relatively short and I have to admit that I thought it would be too short to have the kind of effect on me that it clearly has had in literary circles. Also as a byproduct of not knowing what was coming I found the first 80 or so pages a bit meandering in nature.

From the outset David Lurie is someone who is difficult to like. He is very stuck in his ways and is a misogynistic pig with little in the way of morals when it come to women. To show how contemptible he is, his use of prostitutes is one of the least distasteful things about him. His seduction of a young female student is done without any remorse and there lingers a question that their first sexual encounter could have been rape.

In no small part this is down to the sparse way in which Coetzee uses this words throughout the book. He feeds you just enough to get the point across and leaves small areas for the reader to draw their own conclusions from. At points I found myself questioning my feelings towards certain decisions David takes through the course of the book. He does make changes to his thoughts as the book goes along but at no point would I say he has an epiphany and reaches redemption of any sort.

David is not the only character in the book who had me questioning their decisions. His daughter Lucy also makes some very troubling choices after the attack. She is harder to judge however, due to the nature of her part of the attack. I began to side with David in what he was saying to Lucy but at the same time feeling that he had no right in judging her choices. Their relationship becomes a strained one and lack of communication between many parties is a common theme throughout the book.

Petrus starts out being quite a likeable character who is trying to find his way in post Apartheid South Africa. Over time his part in the story changes and he becomes very unlikeable. Also striking is the lack of justice of any kind during everything that occurs. Petrus is again, another person who had a dim opinion of women, he has 2 wives and uses his political situation to put pressure on Lucy.

The politics and racial relations of South Africa is probably the biggest theme in the book and neither side comes out of it well. I feel that this is the right decision by the author as it doesn't excuse the actions of one side at the expense of the other. It leaves many questions as to the long term solutions to the problems that South Africa face. I would say that Coetzee gives each side a rough ride and just presents the case and leave the decisions upto the reader.

I did find the repeated use of Byron & Teresa in the book to be a little tiresome. This became more of an issue later in the book where almost entire chapters are turned over to them. I'm fairly sure there is a point to this but it is lost on me.

I have tentatively given this book 3/5 but I do think that like Orhan Pamuk's Snow and Dostoyevsky's Crime & Punishment it is a book that I will be thinking about for a long time to come. In retrospect I would have awarded those books a higher ranking after months of them going round in my mind and I expect this to be the same. Unlike those books however, the prose is easy to read due to the sparse nature employed and I think it would benefit from a re-read at some point in the future.

3/5 (I liked it).

Great review of Disgrace Brian. I've only read Elizabeth Costello of his so far but have Disgrace on the shelf. I think. Have to check. I've been on the fence about it till now. Thanks.

Great review of Disgrace Brian. I've only read Elizabeth Costello of his so far but have Disgrace on the shelf. I think. Have to check. I've been on the fence about it till now. Thanks.

Thanks, its only 220 page long so even if you don't get along with it you are unlikely to get bogged down with it. The writing makes it a very quick read, I could have done it in an afternoon had I been so inclined.

Finally got round to sticking my wishlist on the front page of this thread. I'll be looking at expanding it in the coming weeks so I will be scrutinizing a lot of blogs on here. I have also decided to give an author who burnt me in the past another go, Bret Easton Ellis. I really didn't like American Psycho but I have a copy of Less Than Zero which is going to be my next read.

Edited by Brian.

The Hot Zone looks pretty good Brian but I don't think I would enjoy reading Disgrace. Good review though.

Why do you say that you don't think you would enjoy reading Disgrace? Let me know if you want The Hot Zone and I'll send it to you.

Thanks for the review of Disgrace, Brian. It has definitely made me more determined to get to it soon! :)

Hopefully you enjoy it.

Interesting review Brian. And another captivating cover :)

The cover is a real eye catcher, too many modern book covers are rubbish in my opinion.

Thanks for the review of Disgrace, it's one that I had been considering reading - I may do this year now.

I'll keep and eye out for your thoughts when/if you get round to it.

I have tentatively given this book 3/5 but I do think that like Orhan Pamuk's Snow and Dostoyevsky's Crime & Punishment it is a book that I will be thinking about for a long time to come. In retrospect I would have awarded those books a higher ranking after months of them going round in my mind and I expect this to be the same. 3/5 (I liked it).

I find this quite often: a book rises in my estimation some time after having finished it. I also find the opposite: a book that I really rated at the time is actually not that memorable, and months later I can barely remember a thing about it. I have been known to change my rating as a result. I'm loath to - memories can play tricks - but every now and again a book's demands to be rerated are just irresistible!

Edited by willoyd

Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis

less_than_zero.large.jpg

Synopsis

Set in Los Angeles in the early 1980's, this coolly mesmerizing novel is a raw, powerful portrait of a lost generation who have experienced sex, drugs, and disaffection at too early an age, in a world shaped by casual nihilism, passivity, and too much money a place devoid of feeling or hope.

Clay comes home for Christmas vacation from his Eastern college and re-enters a landscape of limitless privilege and absolute moral entropy, where everyone drives Porches, dines at Spago, and snorts mountains of cocaine. He tries to renew feelings for his girlfriend, Blair, and for his best friend from high school, Julian, who is careering into hustling and heroin. Clay's holiday turns into a dizzying spiral of desperation that takes him through the relentless parties in glitzy mansions, seedy bars, and underground rock clubs and also into the seamy world of L.A. after dark.

(Taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

I got this book at an Oxfam shop and the only reason I picked it up was that it was going for less than £1. I had previously read American Psycho and pretty much hated it. I thought it was a nasty book that was trying too hard to be shocking and had nothing that I could latch on to as interesting. I decided that I would give Ellis another shot and this book seems to get positive reviews so what could I lose?

In short, I want my time back. I found this book to be utterly tedious to the point of hating the book, the author and every single one of the characters. There is only so many times that you can get away with writing 'I went a party, it was rubbish, I left and went to another, it was rubbish'. I know that the vapid nature of the characters is kind of the point but I just found it to be annoying beyond belief.

I some ways I only have myself to blame. Celebrity culture and the likes of Paris Hilton & the Kardashians have passed me by. I don't understand the attraction and in some ways I guess this book is about them. My problem with that, is that I don't need to told how annoying they are, I already know.

I can see some parallels between this book and Money by Martin Amis, albeit with bankers instead of rich college kids. The big difference however is that Amis has a story to fall back to keep the reader entertained. There are details, scenes and characters which come alive, this has none of those.

I think it's obvious I didn't enjoy this book, I guess Ellis just isn't for me. The only bonus is that it's another book from the '1001' list to tick off.

1/5 (I didn't like it).

Edited by Brian.

Poor Leo :giggle2:

Oh I'm sure he'll get over it :D

Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee

A really great review on Disgraze! Like I've probably mentioned before, Coetzee's name comes up here and there but I know nothing about him or his books so I was really looking forward to your review on the novel. The premise sounds like it's something I would enjoy reading, but then I read your thoughts on it and I don't know, I guess I'm on the fence. To read or not to read, that is the question. But like you said, it's only 220 pages so it wouldn't be a huge effort to read it, escecially after the rather many long novels I've read recently...

I find this quite often: a book rises in my estimation some time after having finished it. I also find the opposite: a book that I really rated at the time is actually not that memorable, and months later I can barely remember a thing about it. I have been known to change my rating as a result. I'm loath to - memories can play tricks - but every now and again a book's demands to be rerated are just irresistible!

I agree. I think more of Wasp Factory by Iain Banks now than I did when I was reading it. That's the case with A Confederacy of Dunces as well. But I never re-rate. Unless I actually re-read the book in question.

Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis

I pretty much have to agree with you on Ellis. I didn't like American Psycho, I found it boring, tedious, repetitive, hedonistic, and it was meant to shock just for the fun of shocking. I've also read Lunar Park which I liked more, but I had problems with that, too. I've thought about reading yet another book by him but I feel that it's going to be yet another disappointment. :shrug: Having read your review on Less Than Zero only confirms this feeling.

I some ways I only have myself to blame. Celebrity culture and the likes of Paris Hilton & the Kardashians have passed me by. I don't understand the attraction and in some ways I guess this book is about them. My problem with that, is that I don't need to told how annoying they are, I already know.

I agree. However: with the Hiltons and Kardashians I don't really expect anything else, because they are born to it and it's what their life is like from early on. Ellis is an author and because I happen to love books and reading and I want to think authors have at least generally some sense in their heads, it's all the more disappointing that they are like the Hiltons etc.

Oh I'm sure he'll get over it :D

In time he will :D

A really great review on Disgraze! Like I've probably mentioned before, Coetzee's name comes up here and there but I know nothing about him or his books so I was really looking forward to your review on the novel. The premise sounds like it's something I would enjoy reading, but then I read your thoughts on it and I don't know, I guess I'm on the fence. To read or not to read, that is the question. But like you said, it's only 220 pages so it wouldn't be a huge effort to read it, escecially after the rather many long novels I've read recently...

I'd definitely recommend it. The fact that it flows off the page nicely means that it's quite a quick read.

I made a start on The Blood Spilt by Asa Larsson on the train the other day. I haven't had time to read anything at work though so I'm only about 60 or so pages into it. Bits of the previous book is coming back to me which is helping.

A work mate lent me a book written by a deep sea diver about all the things he has experienced in his line of work. It sounds like a really interesting book.

I popped into the town centre today with the intention of buying 2 books, American Gods by Neil Gaiman and HHhH by Laurent Binet. I knew I had some points to use up on my loyalty card so figured I could get away with not spending much, if any of my money. HHhH was buy one, get one half price so that meant that I had to take up that offer so I also picked up London Under by Peter Ackroyd. Then, on the way to the checkout I spotted a copy of The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood and I couldn't resist :giggle2:

Things started to go further awry when I dropped some books off at my local Oxfam book shop. I guess that since I took in 8 books but came away with 5 from there that I didn't actually gain any books :D

I came away with:

Two Caravans by Marina Lewycka

We Are All Made of Glue by Marina Lewycka

The Journey to the East by Hermann Hesse

Nostromo by Joseph Conrad

The Book of Laughter & Forgetting by Milan Kundera

I may well finish The Blood Spilt by Asa Larsson tonight, it started fairly slowly for me but now I've picked up the pace and I'm racing through it.

The Blood Spilt by Asa Larsson

TBSpiltpb.jpg

Synopsis

It is midsummer in Sweden - when the light lingers through dawn and the long winter comes to an end. Now, in this magical time, a brutal killer has chosen to strike, and the murder of a female priest sends shockwaves through the community. It has been almost two years since attorney Rebecka Martinsson returned to her birthplace, Kiruna, in order to stop an eerily similar murder spree. Now she is back in Kiruna, where a determined policewoman works on the case and the people who loved or loathed the victim mourn or revel in her demise. As Rebecka is drawn into a mystery that soon will claim another victim, the dead woman's world consumes her: a world of hurt and healing, sin and sexuality, and above all, of lethal sacrifice.

(Taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

This is the second book in the Rebecka Martinsson series and in retrospect I perhaps shouldn't have left so long between reading the first one and this one. It took a little while for some details of the first book to come back to me and a little while for a few of the characters to re-emerge in my mind.

I think that this is probably the main reason that the first half of the book was a little slow for me to get through. It wasn't until I finished the book that I realised that the first half wasn't just 'OK' it was just that I was struggling to pick up on some of the little things that were happening. If I had been forced to rate the book after the first 200 pages I probably would have given it 2/5.

Once I got into the second half of the book and I had settled into it things got much better. The story moves along at a good pace without hitting a fast speed. There is also a nice story that runs alongside about a she-wolf and her battle for survival. At first I thought this was a bit pointless but it is a nice touch and ties in with the main story quite well.

The characters are what really stands out in this book. There obviously is a plot but this is more character based than plot based and that gives it a different feel to most 'crime' books. I put crime in quotation marks because I think labeling this a crime novel does it a dis-service. There is far more going on that just being a standard crime novel.

Larsson clearly decided to take a bit of a risk in a few areas. The book starts in a very similar way to the first, there is the murder of a priest and the setting is the same as the first book. It doesn't feel repetitive however so I guess the risk worked out. There are also some interesting character choices, sexuality is explored and there is a mentally retarded character.

Martinsson isn't your normal heroine, she is suffering from what I would assume is PTSD from the first book and seems on the edge of a complete breakdown. This makes her fairly anti-social towards most of the others in the book but it also makes her a bit difficult to identify with. I imagine that Larsson has used some of her own emotions when dealing with the 'city girl' returning to the countryside where she grew up and feeling like an outsider aspect.

There were a few things in the book that really had a emotional impact on me.

Lisa putting down her dogs was heart wrenching and Nalle getting shot by his father was pretty devastating. I imagine that the third book is going to be really dark after what has happened to Martinsson in this one.

I don't think the book is quite a 4/5 for me but it is a bit more than 3/5, however I decided that 3/5 is probably about right. It was a decent read and I finished the last 350 pages in one afternoon/evening. I look forward to reading the third book in the series.

Oh, everyone seems to have a cat or dog.

3/5 (I liked it).

Diver by Tony Groom

Diver-9781574092691.jpg

Synopsis

In this book Tony Groom provides a fascinating, no-holds-barred account of his remarkable life and of the world of professional naval and civilian divers. His story is gripping, humbling and highly amusing in equal measure- all the more for the matter-of-fact manner in which he tells it. From clearing unexploded bombs lodged in ships during the Falklands War, to hair-raising exploits in the oil fields of the North Sea, he shines a light on a calling that demands the coolest of heads and extreme courage.

(Taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

Two work mates of mine were having a conversation about this book and I thought it sounded interesting so I asked if I could borrow it. Fortunately the owner had it with him so there was no delay in me getting my hands on it. I don't know anything about diving except for what I have seen in movies so I knew I was in for some education along the way.

The layout of the book is a little unconventional in that the time line jumps about a bit. There are also quite a few photographs, drawings and diary entries throughout. All of the technical aspects are well explained and well written with the exception of the introduction to saturation diving. I think Groom got a bit too tied up in trying to make it simple and inadvertently made if sound far more complicated than needed.

There is little in the way of repetition throughout the book and there are plenty of anecdotes and funny tales along the way. There were a few occasions where I actually fell about laughing after reading some of the tales, the humour is very military if you get what I mean.

The Falkland's conflict features quite heavily and covers aspects of the conflict that most people know little if anything about. The divers were tasked with clearing mines and removing unexploded bombs that hit ships. They had had no training in how to deal with removing an unexploded bomb from a boat so worked it out as they went along. They saw a lot of death and destruction up close and Groom tells how this had a lasting effect on him and others.

My favourite section was about the saturation diving that Groom did once he had left the navy and was working as a civilian. Having to stay locked into a tiny pressurised living area with other divers for 28 days at a time doesn't sound like fun but that is what they have to do. I also had a chuckle at the amount of courses they have to do to keep current and the ridiculous amount they cost. This is very similar to aviation industry and there are a lot of cross overs with regards to the regulation that people must go through.

This was an interesting read with a lot of good humour along the way.

3/5 (I liked it).

I've still not decided what I'm going to read next, I will make that choice when I get up in the morning before I head off to work. I have decided to start 2666 by Roberto Bolano again though. I had a crack at it last year but gave up after about 200 pages. I can't keep letting myself get intimidated by the size of it so if I just keep at it a little at a time I'm sure I will get through it in no time at all.

I like the sound of Diver. I remember going to a navel base for a school excursion and watching some divers in training! I said then and there I would love to be in the navy. :)

I like the sound of Diver. I remember going to a navel base for a school excursion and watching some divers in training! I said then and there I would love to be in the navy. :)

It does sound like a fascinating career if a bit dangerous at times.

I made a start on Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad today, I only managed a handful of pages before I had to do something else. If the Goodreads reviews are anything to go by it would seem that its a book people either love or hate.

I made a start on Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad today, I only managed a handful of pages before I had to do something else. If the Goodreads reviews are anything to go by it would seem that its a book people either love or hate.

I've had this one for a while, and I too have heard many opposing views of it. Some people really hate it, which is what has put me off reading it even if it is only just over 100 pages.

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

348_1.jpg

Synopsis

Exploring the workings of consciousness as well as the grim realities of imperialism, Heart of Darkness tells of Marlow, a seaman and wanderer, who journeys into the heart of the African continent to discover how the enigmatic Kurtz has gained power over the local people.

(Taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

This is one of the books that has sat on my TBR for the longest time which is surprising because I often pick up a novella when I want a quick read. I haven't read any Conrad before and I also tend to go for an author's shorter book when trying an author out for the first time. I had no idea what the book was about before reading it but I was aware that it seems to be loved or loathed by anyone who reads it.

There won't be much for me to add to this review as I didn't get on with this book at all. I had good hopes after the opening pages as the descriptions of the boat on the Thames is great. However, I just couldn't get past the writing style of Conrad and I found it hard to take in what he had written. I found myself having to re-read parts over and over again which I found frustrating.

The plot is an interesting one but I don't think it was handled particularly well and if I am entirely honest I don't see what all the fuss is about. I guess this book is one that will pass me by as one that I didn't get on with.

1/5 (I didn't like it).

Oh it sounds far too much like hard work Brian, thanks for the warning. Sometimes it's good to challenge yourself when reading but not to the point where it becomes an absolute trial. It's quite short obviously but did you get to the end or abandon?

In time he will :D

:D Yes, give him time... a nanosecond... :D

I'd definitely recommend it. The fact that it flows off the page nicely means that it's quite a quick read.

When I was reading your review I had a feeling I'd seen a copy at the library and I've just checked: they do have an edition in English, so I'm good to go :)

I popped into the town centre today with the intention of buying 2 books, American Gods by Neil Gaiman and HHhH by Laurent Binet.

What made you want to buy HHhH? It rang a bell with me and I realised that the Australian literary show covered the book some time ago and therefore I've added it to my reading challenge (I want to read the books read and discussed in the show).

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

How did it make its way on your TBR list in the first place?

Oh it sounds far too much like hard work Brian, thanks for the warning. Sometimes it's good to challenge yourself when reading but not to the point where it becomes an absolute trial. It's quite short obviously but did you get to the end or abandon?

I agree with Brian, I didn't like the book and I wouldn't recommend it. :shrug:

I got to the end, it's very short, only 100 pages long. Had it been any longer it probably would have gone out the window.

What made you want to buy HHhH? It rang a bell with me and I realised that the Australian literary show covered the book some time ago and therefore I've added it to my reading challenge (I want to read the books read and discussed in the show).

Waterstones (a book store chain in the UK) has been pushing it. I first saw it on a poster and they have been tweeting about it quite a lot. I'm a sucker for a nice cover and the synopsis looked like it was my sort of thing. It would make a difference for me to read something recently published as well.

How did it make its way on your TBR list in the first place?

It's on the 1001 books list and I think it was on another 'must read' list that I had when I first started reading fiction seriously.

I just got an email from my local library telling me that 2 Haruki Murakami books I reserved have arrived :D