Facebook paid message service

bree

Link: http://www.nbcnews.c...inbox-1C7660211

Just wondering what your thoughts on this are, as I know a lot of you use Facebook to keep in touch with family and friends.

(I closed my personal account a while ago - for various reasons - but I do have a developer account which I use for testing my software.)

I find it weird that Facebook first offers the "Inbox" and the "Others" to distinguish between messages from those in your friends list, and the rest.

And now, for a fee, they'll push a stranger's mail into your Inbox!

(It's not really "weird" as at the end of the Facebook is a business)

Here's the actual post from Facebook : http://newsroom.fb.com/News/558/Update-to-Messaging-and-a-Test

They do however claim that they'll limit the mails to one per week, and that keeping a price tag on it will deter spammers.

Thoughts?

Edited by bree

Like you bree I don't do facebook. But this sounds like taking a liberty. But there is a precedent in physical delivered mail. Royal Mail does exactly the same thing. They are paid by companies to push unwanted junk mail through everybodies letterboxes. Royal Mail has no choice , it is only junk mail and Amazon which is keeping us going as a business.

I deleted my FB account earlier this week because I found myself bored of it and feeling uncomfortable by the ToS. It is a shame because i did find it a very convenient way of keeping in contact with people who I know who work and live abroad. Fortunately most of them now use WhatsApp messenger which makes keeping in contact very simple.

I think the fundamental mistake a lot of Facebook users make is they believe the site is there for their convenience and they just don't realise that it is a business that is trying to make money by exploiting them. Facebook ideally want to use any and all information a user enters to make money and if they can sell a marketing path to you to another company they will do so. Facebook has always had a bad track record of putting their own interests ahead of their users and that is only getting worse now that the company is accountable to shareholders.

I deleted my Facebook account a year or so ago because of this inherent conflict of interest between their desire to make money out of the information I gave them and my desire that I should have full control over what they do with my personal data.