julie

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Athena

It's a very short book, but a nice change of pace. I'm new to the YA section of books. When I was growing up, there really wasn't a huge group of YA books. You just "shopped" in the kid's section of the library and got the thickest books they had.  Of course back then, we didn't have a lot of books on the subjects they do now , like teen issues ( pregnancy, suicide, school shootings ,kids abducted by strangers).

Anyhow, I chose a stack of YA books at the library yesterday so will give more of them a try and see how I like them .

Liar, Liar -- Gary Paulsen 4/5

Another YA book .

I  enjoyed this book a lot ,told from the viewpoint of a 14 year old boy who seems to think lying is the best way to handle life. He doesn't lie maliciously , he just lies to people sometimes to make his life and theirs better ( he thinks) .

Anyhow, he starts out by getting assigned a huge report in school that has to be done with a partner. The teacher assigns his partner as the smartest girl in class, so he immediately makes up a huge lie to her about why he can't help her with it ,but he is convincing  enough to get her to agree to do most of the work . Then he notices a cute girl in school . He wants her to notice him .. kinda like a first crush-type thing . It's interesting to see how boys think about this time in their lives when they first start liking girls and how they try to get the girl to like them and pay attention to them.

Anyhow, the Wannabe Girlfriend unknowingly sets off a chain reaction of lies the boy tells to many friends ,teachers and even family members ,so he can give himself more time in the areas of school that this girl is in ..

It seems at first like it will all work out ,no one being the wiser . But in the long run, a really small event triggers the boy to realize that all his lies are making a mess out of his and everyone else's lives .At the end, he realizes what a mess he has caused and learns a valuable lesson .

This was a terrific little story . I enjoy this type of book , as it teaches a life lesson . I like those the best ..

Good writing , enjoyed reading about being in school again ,etc ...

• 2 weeks later...

It's the time of year

For spooks and fear

Goblins and ghosts

Which scares you most ?

I think it's time to read

Of scary deads

Of creeps and ghouls

A haunted school ?

:eek:  :bat2:  :catpump:

Edited by julie

Julie, that poem is really nice! Did you write it yourself?

It's true, it'll be Halloween in a while. In the Netherlands we don't really celebrate this holiday (though there probably are some events). It's an idea to read some horror or a ghost story or something else related (halloween-y?). I might do that, maybe :).

Athena

Yea, just throwing together a few words to get myself in the Halloween frame of mind.  So your country doesn't have anything like that, when people dress up ? How about costume parties and such ?

We have a neighbor guy on our street who really LOVES Halloween . Our town has one night when people dress up and go door to door for candy .It's mainly kids who dress up, but we do get some adults & teens .

The guy down the street decorates every year ,by making his front yard into a cemetery. Looks like real tombstones. then he puts up a Haunted Tent in his driveway .Him and his friends all dress in scary outfits . One guy is dressed all in a black robe type thing and he drags a metal chain up and down the road. Another friend dresses like a scary clown and he chases the kids . Those brave enough to go in the tent come out screaming and running ,even the teens. It's actually funny to watch the big kids get so scared .

We have about the most busy street in town, mainly because of that guy and all his decorations ,so we get huge crowds. Everyone on the street usually comes out to sit in their yards to watch all the people get scared . Quite entertaining  . We like to see all the wee little kids in their outfits too .

Anyhow, I'm not a big horror fan .Don't like scary movies or books, but I thought maybe I could try to center my reading around the Halloween type theme for this month . I need to someday re-read Dracula and Frankenstein .

We have a costume party but it's in February and it has a completely different origin. It's called carnaval and has a Christian origin if I'm not mistaken. I've never liked carnaval, it's lots of people drinking, being noisy, dressed up. I have trouble navigating the world as me and sometimes trying to pretend I'm "normal", why would I want to dress up as someone or something else and complicate things even more? But mainly the noise, the smoke, the drinking. Those are the things that always bothered me.

We do have St. Maarten which happens at the end of October too, where kids make lampoons and go past the doors. It's again based on christianity and I don't know much about it. It's not much celebrated either, where I live. At least, I don't remember it being discussed at school much etc.

Halloween is something I see in American TV shows and films, or that I read about in American books. We don't have such a thing, though with the US gaining more influence over us, there are cities and towns that do a Halloween event. So in that way I guess it is celebrated.

It's nice to hear how it works for you :). I love hearing how things are different in different places for different people.

I'm not a big horror fan either. I don't really enjoy scary movies much. When I was a child I read quite a few children's horror books though (and Stephen King books), such as the Goosebumps series and Fear Street series by R. L. Stine. I don't know why, at the time I liked them a lot. Nowadays I'm a real scaredy-cat and when there's anything scary on TV I'm not watching it. I plan to maybe sometime get out some of my children's books that I liked and re-read them. I think they are less scary than an adult movie (I also plan on reading Stephen King's books, but then I've always found books are easier to handle than audiovisuals such as a film, with its tense music and visuals).

Both Dracula and Frankenstein are on my TBR, did you enjoy the books?

EDIT: Here's a funny story about Dracula. When I was a child I really wanted to read this book, because I liked all the Dracula type films I'd seen. Our librarian said they had a copy, but it was nowhere to be found on the shelves. I kept asking and asking, they eventually thought somebody must've stolen it. I never got to read it in the end. A while ago though I bought an English copy and so look forward to finally reading it sometime.

Edited by Athena

Neat poem Julie! :D

Yup, Halloween is a big deal over here, the stores start selling all the paraphernalia early on, then it's the Thanksgiving paraphernalia, then the Christmas paraphernalia.......then New Year's hats and champagne, one holiday after the other, the stores love 'em!!

Athena, Carnival, or Mardi Gras is a HUGE deal in New Orleans.  Here is a link to a parade schedule for 2014.  http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/schedule.html

And, no, I don't bother with it. lol

Neat poem Julie! :D

Yup, Halloween is a big deal over here, the stores start selling all the paraphernalia early on, then it's the Thanksgiving paraphernalia, then the Christmas paraphernalia.......then New Year's hats and champagne, one holiday after the other, the stores love 'em!!

Athena, Carnival, or Mardi Gras is a HUGE deal in New Orleans.  Here is a link to a parade schedule for 2014.  http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/schedule.html

And, no, I don't bother with it. lol

You're not one of the ones who wins all the beads by showing a little extra skin ???  :blush2:

( *  JOKING * ) 

You're not one of the ones who wins all the beads by showing a little extra skin ???  :blush2:

( *  JOKING * ) 

Gawd!  lol 

What a bunch of loonys are down there!!  Believe me, I avoid New Orleans like the plague during Mardi Gras.

We have a costume party but it's in February and it has a completely different origin. It's called carnaval and has a Christian origin if I'm not mistaken. I've never liked carnaval, it's lots of people drinking, being noisy, dressed up. I have trouble navigating the world as me and sometimes trying to pretend I'm "normal", why would I want to dress up as someone or something else and complicate things even more? But mainly the noise, the smoke, the drinking. Those are the things that always bothered me.

We do have St. Maarten which happens at the end of October too, where kids make lampoons and go past the doors. It's again based on christianity and I don't know much about it. It's not much celebrated either, where I live. At least, I don't remember it being discussed at school much etc.

Halloween is something I see in American TV shows and films, or that I read about in American books. We don't have such a thing, though with the US gaining more influence over us, there are cities and towns that do a Halloween event. So in that way I guess it is celebrated.

It's nice to hear how it works for you :). I love hearing how things are different in different places for different people.

I'm not a big horror fan either. I don't really enjoy scary movies much. When I was a child I read quite a few children's horror books though (and Stephen King books), such as the Goosebumps series and Fear Street series by R. L. Stine. I don't know why, at the time I liked them a lot. Nowadays I'm a real scaredy-cat and when there's anything scary on TV I'm not watching it. I plan to maybe sometime get out some of my children's books that I liked and re-read them. I think they are less scary than an adult movie (I also plan on reading Stephen King's books, but then I've always found books are easier to handle than audiovisuals such as a film, with its tense music and visuals).

Both Dracula and Frankenstein are on my TBR, did you enjoy the books?

EDIT: Here's a funny story about Dracula. When I was a child I really wanted to read this book, because I liked all the Dracula type films I'd seen. Our librarian said they had a copy, but it was nowhere to be found on the shelves. I kept asking and asking, they eventually thought somebody must've stolen it. I never got to read it in the end. A while ago though I bought an English copy and so look forward to finally reading it sometime.

Athena

so is the Carnival type party where the ladies dress in the pretty dresses and just use the mask-type things with the feathers ? I' m a Hillbilly, so I don't know much about those things .We don't have anything FANCY in our town, just a bunch of funny hillbilly type entertainments ..

I wouldn't like all the drinking and carrying on like that either. Never  did get into those type things even as a teen . I was 28 before I TASTED alcohol ,and haven't had it since . Both of my Grandfathers were alcoholics so I think it'd be a bad idea for me to get used to using alcohol ,or I'd more than likely end up the same . I think it tends to run in families ,and I'd tend to lean too heavily on it to dull some of our "challenging" situations in our lives . I'd be pretty pickled all the time if I did that .

As for Dracula and Frankenstein --embarrassing to say how LONG AGO I read them. Probably Middle School ,which would have been about 1970 .....

Gawd!  lol 

What a bunch of loonys are down there!!  Believe me, I avoid New Orleans like the plague during Mardi Gras.

We usually see little snips of it on the news up here . It looks fun from the TV screen ,but I don't think I'd like to be there in person. Looks like way too many people doing things they will be embarrassed about when they wake up the next day .

I'd love to visit your state any other time of the year ... lots of the historical areas,etc.

The Hubster would love trying some of the spicey foods you guys have down that way .

This Book Will Change Your Life , Again  --Benrik

This book is a continuation of sorts from a previous book with the same titlle ( minus the AGAIN ) ..

It's an unusual book ,as it gives you a 365 day list of different things to do with your life to change it in some way .There is one page for every day of the year , and some of the ideas would be worthwhile , while others are just plain stupid .

I'll point out a few that would be good ideas ,or things we should all try to do more frequently :

Today, buy flowers for a stranger

Take care of your mom, like she took care of you

Find your first best friend and reconnect with them

Write a letter to your most influential teacher to thank them

Here are some that would be quite challenging or impossible :

Today,eat only one color of food all day

Today ,get insurance on your best feature ( Like some famous people do )

Act like a teenager all day today

Pour flour on your face,and walk around a cemetery all day ,like a zombie

Anyhow, the book is very colorful ,each page is color coded with diagrams , charts, and lots of little extras to help you succeed at today's chore . It's kind of a silly book, but something easy to read and some of it makes you chuckle. Some of it is downright weird ,too, but at least it makes you think a little about doing some GOOD deeds once in awhile, or maybe doing something totally out of character just to make your life a bit more interesting .

I'd give this book a 5/5 for imagination purposes, but for actual reading pleasure, I'd give it a 3 .

I like the idea! And I like it that by doing something nice, you might not only change your own attitude towards a more spontaneous, not so life-must-always-be-taking-seriously way, but you might actually change someone else's views on things :shrug:

25-The Glass Café --by Gary Paulsen 4/5

This was my first YA book I've ever read. Back when I would have been the YSA age, they didn't really have a separate category of books specified for YA. You kinda went from kid's books to adult books . My YA books would have been Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys and some of the Classics like Treasure Island ,etc .

This book is about a 12 year old boy named Tony who lives with his mom who is a stripper in the Kit Kat Klub .Tony has no father and doesn't even know who he is, so he and his mom are on their own .
Anyhow, he seems to be a really well adjusted boy who finds out one day that he has a real talent in art class ,so he begins drawing . When the objects of his artwork start leaking out, their whole world falls apart .
It's a very short book but touches on so many areas of life today. The plight of the single parent, her ability to do whatever she has to ,to raise her son the best way she knows how .
A very enjoyable read .

So is this the first book you read for your YA 'reading challenge'? Thanks for the review, it sounds like an interesting read, I might have to check if they have a copy at the library :)

Thanks Athena

It's a very short book, but a nice change of pace. I'm new to the YA section of books. When I was growing up, there really wasn't a huge group of YA books. You just "shopped" in the kid's section of the library and got the thickest books they had.  Of course back then, we didn't have a lot of books on the subjects they do now , like teen issues ( pregnancy, suicide, school shootings ,kids abducted by strangers).

It's changed so much since the 'old days'... When I was a kid, there were 3+3 bookcases at the local library, the others were for children and other were for a bit older children + young adults, but they weren't called 'young adults' back then. More like teenagers, but not using that word. But when I go to the Joensuu library these days, there are children's books, YA, and then they have different sections for animal books, sci-fi/fantasy, detective + horror, and all that. :shrug:

I'm happy to hear you're enjoying your YA series, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about the books you read on the genre in the future! :readingtwo:

PS: Keeping my fingers crossed for your hubster!! :friends3:

Yea, Frankie

It's surprising how the YA books have become so popular . Amazing the number of adults that enjoy them too . I' m finding some of them interesting ,mainly because they remind me of things that happened when I was that age ,so it brings back fond memories of good times . It's a little shocking to me about some of the subjects discussed in the YA's .. I guess because I'm a Grandma of YA Aged kids .. it seems strange to me that they would have all that reading material available to them ,compared to when I was that age, those subjects weren't discussed , let alone written about so openly . I'm trying to decide if it was better then or now ????

Yea, Frankie

It's surprising how the YA books have become so popular . Amazing the number of adults that enjoy them too .

I know! And I for one am loving it how adults are reading these books, too, and enjoying them :) It's always particularly great if a parent enjoys the same books as their kids do, they can talk about it and get to know each other's opinions that way :)

It'll be interesting to see what October brings with it, what with the YA month! :) I have to say, being a Finn, I didn't know many of the authors, if any, I wonder how well known they are to my English speaking native friends on here (I certainly didn't want to say I don't know any of the authors in the appropriate thread, how would that sound to them :D Very, very rude!)

I' m finding some of them interesting ,mainly because they remind me of things that happened when I was that age ,so it brings back fond memories of good times .

I know... I know you and I are of different age and time, but we are both from the time when all this Internet business was still yet to be discovered and had. Life was simpler back then. Internet has its amazing qualities (we wouldn't be here on the forum if it wasn't for the Internet, for one (important!) thing, but somehow it can also make things more complicated...

I love reading YA books that are from the times before cell phones and the Internet. And eventhough some of them might be before my time, they somehow feel very comforting and homey and cosy to me, too :)

It's a little shocking to me about some of the subjects discussed in the YA's .. I guess because I'm a Grandma of YA Aged kids .. it seems strange to me that they would have all that reading material available to them ,compared to when I was that age, those subjects weren't discussed , let alone written about so openly . I'm trying to decide if it was better then or now ????

Yep, the YA books cover more stuff than they did back in the day.. But then again, if a kid is desperate to read about some of the aspects of adult life, they could always read the adult books... But then again, having all those things discussed in YA books might make kids think they aren't as normal as others if they haven't done some of the things in the books... If you get my drift which I'm sure you do.

We usually see little snips of it on the news up here . It looks fun from the TV screen ,but I don't think I'd like to be there in person. Looks like way too many people doing things they will be embarrassed about when they wake up the next day .

I'd love to visit your state any other time of the year ... lots of the historical areas,etc.

The Hubster would love trying some of the spicey foods you guys have down that way .

Oh, I've been sick of it for decades now.  There is a lot of Mardi Gras celebration out in the suburbs that is more kid friendly than down in the Quarter.  I don't care about any of it. 

You know, we've been exploring a bit, Charles is from New York, so doesn't know this area.  I'm learning more myself! 

There is all kinds of food, not all spicy, that's Cajun cooking you are thinking of, and  believe me, there is a lot more to it in New Orleans! Ya oughta come on down! :)

That's a good idea, maybe someday we'll get to come down for a vacation. I  have loved all the southern states we've been to . People are so much friendlier down south and all the states are pretty . Maybe someday   :)

No, we didn't see the fireball . Hubster would have loved to see it . He's a space Fan , loves everything about it .

Columbus would be a couple hours south of us. We 're up near the Akron area .

Athena

so is the Carnival type party where the ladies dress in the pretty dresses and just use the mask-type things with the feathers ? I' m a Hillbilly, so I don't know much about those things .We don't have anything FANCY in our town, just a bunch of funny hillbilly type entertainments ..

I wouldn't like all the drinking and carrying on like that either. Never  did get into those type things even as a teen . I was 28 before I TASTED alcohol ,and haven't had it since . Both of my Grandfathers were alcoholics so I think it'd be a bad idea for me to get used to using alcohol ,or I'd more than likely end up the same . I think it tends to run in families ,and I'd tend to lean too heavily on it to dull some of our "challenging" situations in our lives . I'd be pretty pickled all the time if I did that .

As for Dracula and Frankenstein --embarrassing to say how LONG AGO I read them. Probably Middle School ,which would have been about 1970 .....

x

No, people in the south (the north doesn't celebrate this), below the rivers, they and their children dress up in carnaval costumes, either home made or bought from a shop. Here's an example of what children might wear (from an online shop I found through Googling):

carnavalskleding-kinderen1.jpg

They dress up as for example an animal. When I was a child, being a devil was my favourite costume. I've also been a clown, and other things I don't quite remember. My sister has been a dinosaur, a princess, and many other things. My brother a pirate and a monk. Those are the ones on top off my head that I can remember. Carnaval costumes usually involve a lot of bright colours. Carnaval music is played in the cafés, it's quite "happy" music (though I'm not very fond of it). I don't blame you for not knowing, this kind of thing is differently celebrated in different parts of the world. I'm not sure what exactly the Christian origin is, though I can look it up if you want me to. 

Yea, Frankie

It's surprising how the YA books have become so popular . Amazing the number of adults that enjoy them too . I' m finding some of them interesting ,mainly because they remind me of things that happened when I was that age ,so it brings back fond memories of good times . It's a little shocking to me about some of the subjects discussed in the YA's .. I guess because I'm a Grandma of YA Aged kids .. it seems strange to me that they would have all that reading material available to them ,compared to when I was that age, those subjects weren't discussed , let alone written about so openly . I'm trying to decide if it was better then or now ????

x

I understand what you mean. When I was a child or teenager, these kinds of things weren't in children's or YA books. Some things were talked about, for example at primary school we were given a bit of sexual education after one of the children's mums got pregnant at a later age (she was 11 or 12 at the time, this was in the last or second to last year of primary school). At secondary school at biology class we had one chapter on sexual education. I already knew a lot of this stuff from my parents, who had always been open to us and explained things to us. At that time there wasn't much talk of these things in books or films meant for our age, though I think the teenagers did talk about it (keep in mind that my school was a high level education one, at low levels they tend to talk about it more). Personally I wasn't interested in any of it so I hardly ever talked or thought about it. While some of my friends talked about guys they liked, I didn't really care or like anyone. All I wanted was a friend who'd understand me and like me for who I was. (it's different now of course, and I'm really glad I have my boyfriend. But I don't think I could date someone before being friends first).

x

It'll be interesting to see what October brings with it, what with the YA month! :) I have to say, being a Finn, I didn't know many of the authors, if any, I wonder how well known they are to my English speaking native friends on here (I certainly didn't want to say I don't know any of the authors in the appropriate thread, how would that sound to them :D Very, very rude!)

x

Their names didn't ring a bell with me (from the Netherlands). Still, I'm interested to hear what they have to say about certain things.

I know... I know you and I are of different age and time, but we are both from the time when all this Internet business was still yet to be discovered and had. Life was simpler back then. Internet has its amazing qualities (we wouldn't be here on the forum if it wasn't for the Internet, for one (important!) thing, but somehow it can also make things more complicated...

I love reading YA books that are from the times before cell phones and the Internet. And eventhough some of them might be before my time, they somehow feel very comforting and homey and cosy to me, too :)

x

I agree! Though I enjoy reading a mixture of both books taking place in slightly older times and slightly newer.

Athena

Thank you for the pictures of the type costumes worn over there . Those types would also be used here for Halloween , but lots of the kids (especially the bigger ones) tend to like the more scary things such as  zombies or some type of monster . The younger kids wear the cute costumes like you showed .  It sounds like a fun type tradition .

As for the content in YA books, it really shouldn't surprise me I guess. Kids grow up so much quicker now. I see little kids walking home from school that aren't older than 10 ,with their arms around each other ( boyfriend, girlfriend) .. I'm thinking GEEZ, at that age, we thought boys were YUKKY . We still played with Barbie dolls .

It's not only in that area in YA books. It seems that so many of them, the theme is a kid who is from a single parent family , or their parents both work full time ,so the kid is on his own for most of his life growing up .That seems strange too, but I have to look at how things are today ,and that would be the majority of kids around here. Very few have a mom who stays home ,while the dad works . When I grew up, divorce wasn't as common as today so all my friends had both parents, all their moms were home all day and the dads all worked .

There is also a theme of kids who are abused. That probably went on during the time I grew up, but no one spoke of it ,so I didn't personally know of anyone who was in that situation ..

Also, kids on drugs or drinking underage. That also wasn't a big problem . We did have a handful of kids in our high school who would probably have been into drugs ,etc ,so it didn't seem so common as today and not at such an early age .

I guess I just liked how it was when I grew up. Kids were carefree and happy and took their time growing up.. I don't know, things have just advanced so much in so many ways . I liked it when we grew up. More innocence, being a kid for longer ,and no major problems to face .We just got to have fun and take our time growing up ..

Cute pictures of costumes Athena. :) 

Mardi Gras is mostly celebrated in New Orleans.  A few other cities have what they call a Mardi Gras...I think they have a few parades on the day itself.  Shrove Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday actually.  But the celebrations in other cities isn't much as far as I can tell.  A shadow.  Ours is more like the Rio de Janeiro Carnival.  A regular 4 day blow out, with parades for about a month preceding, every weekend. 

Blocks and blocks are shut off from vehicular traffic, and the crowds are huge and thick.  Oh, and at least 75% are either drunk, or well on the way to same.  :roll:

Burial Rites by Hannah Kent

"They said I must die ."

This book is based on the true story of  Agnes Magnusdottir  , who was found guilty ,along with 2 others, for supposedly taking part in a murder back in 1820 in Iceland. The atmosphere matches the story, which is just told in small pieces at a time. You really don't get the complete story until the last few pages . The author has done a wonderful job, of allowing the reader to get to know Agnes a little at a time ,as does the family she is assigned to live with until her sentence is carried out . She is given the right to have council with a minister, so he plays a big role in her story, by helping her to trust him enough to begin telling the true story of what actually happened . One of the other participants is given a reprieve and sentenced to life in prison rather than death .

Without giving the story away, you find yourself holding your breath towards the end, waiting to find out if Agnes will also have her life spared .

This book deserves 5 stars ,for the atmosphere, the way the story is told, the descriptions of all the people who were a part of the story . It is an absolute gem of a book . 

Next book on the list is The Rosie Project  by Graeme Simsion ( Love the spelling of his name ).Another Australian Author hits it big ! They have some great talent over that way . Getting great reviews and praise online, so I'll see if it lives up to the hoopla ..

I like the first sentence :

I may have found a solution to the Wife Problem .

Immediately I'm wondering what the problem is ? Does he have one who is giving him trouble ? Is HE in trouble with the Wife ? 

We shall see .......   :)