Little Women - Louisa May Alcott

Janet

009-2007-01-June-LittleWomen.jpg

This book takes its inspiration from The Pilgrim's Progress and the preachy tone irritated me beyond belief throughout the whole book, I'm afraid. I know it's 'of it's time' and if I'd read it in the 1800s then I would have just accepted it, but to me, this book doesn't work that well in the 21st century like some older novels do!

I wonder if there was a factual mistake? Amy's will is dated 20 November 1861, yet at the start of the book - Christmas - their father is already away fighting. I thought the Civil War didn't start until April of that year!

I thought it was well written - it was easy to picture the characters and the prose was good, but had it not been for Laurie, and to a lesser extent Jo, I would have given up with this book long ago. I only made it to the end of 'Little Women'.

Part 2, which was never called Good Wives in the USA is in my book too, so I might go back to it, but I feel the need for something more contemporary in between.

I couldn't believe that their mother would allow the canary to starve to death, just to teach the girls a lesson. laugh.gif I know Christians don't believe animals have a soul (although I don't know why they shouldn't) but surely they wouldn't allow an animal to suffer in that way just to prove a point? That really doesn't seem very Christian to me!

5/10, but only because of Laurie!

Now I read this as child, and loved it. Like most girls my age I wanted to be Jo, and was cross with the way she treated Laurie. I don't remember a dead canary though! If it irritated you though, Good Wives will probably do the same. I didn't like the sequel as much, or the following two books, Jo's boys and Little men.

• 1 year later...

I read it as a child (think I was about 9 when I first read it) and I thought it was a great book, though my sister couldn't get into it. I definitely think it makes a difference what age you read it at. I wasn't concerned with period accuracy, or letting the canary starve - I liked the characters (they were all girls! yay for female protagonists even if most of them were a big wet flannelly). I adored Laurie.

I've read it a couple more times since then, but not for several years now. Perhaps I should take a reread....

• 2 months later...

Oh! My older sister and I just watched the 1994 movie with Winona Ryder a couple of days ago. I think the only time I have read it is when our oldest sister gave it to me when I was eight (they were nineteen and twenty). I was so proud to read a book that was so thick, even though it was only that thick because it was kind of a stout square size.

The part about the dead canary escapes me, too... Not all people, though, would be pragmatic to the point of sacrificing a person's honor or life for the sake of imposing their rules! When you're a mom, don't you have to show your children that when they break the rules or are irresponsible, consequences are going to come up, even naturally as well as what your authority does?

My favorite part that has stayed with me those eleven years was

seeing Jo's desperate "how COULD you?!" anger at Amy, and then seeing them come back together as sisters.

The only sequel I read was Eight Cousins. The other ones will certainly be on the To Be Read list, a little farther down.

• 3 months later...

I think I should read this book because it's on many of my reading challenges, but I've always been put off by the movie - because I cannot stand Winona Ryder. Therefore I've never been keen on the book either. I've been trying to rationalise things and make myself understand that I don't have to see Winona Ryder in my head as Jo when I'm reading the book. Then I came here to read this thread and was expecting people to praise the book. And the first thing I read is Janet's post :haha: Don't worry Janet, I'm still gonna give it a try sometime, I guess.

And by the way, OMG I just realised that in the movie Laurie is played by Christian Bale, whom I will always remember solely as Patrick Bateman, the American Psycho :D This just keeps getting better.

• 2 years later...

I think it does depend on how old you are when you first read certain books. I was probably 9 or 10 when I read Little Women and I really loved it. I thought Jo was ace, although she was mean to Laurie and I remember just thinking it seemed so innocent compared to the modern world (which of couse, is even more modern now!). I would like to re-read it with adult eyes, but I'm not sure whether it would spoil my memories of it. I might give it a go again soon!

I first came across it as a film, the 1949 version was one of my favourites as a child, and I didn't read the book until I was in my early twenties, but I don't remember being disappointed by the book, so I'd give it another go if I were you Em! In fact, you've prompted me to have a look to see if it's available on the Kindle, and there is a 86p version with the four Little Women books in it, which I think I'll invest in as I've only read Little Women and Good Wives in the past.

I loved the book as a child and as an adult. The mother didnt allow the canary to die, she was a working mother and out most of the time. The pet belonged to Beth. Lets not forget that Beth dies, which was even more heart breaking.

It was preachy because thats what books were written for during the Victorian era. Everything was about moralizing. I found it to be a "comfort" read and I have to say I loved all the movie versions.

I read this just recently, and I loved the story, although the preachy bits did get on my nerves - they did annoy me less as the book went on, I'm not sure whether that was because there were less of them as the book went on, or just that I got used to them!

I vaguely remember the canary dying, but that bit obviously didn't make too much impression on me.

Overall, I did enjoy the book. My favourite film version is the one with Elizabeth Taylor in it. :)

I first came across it as a film, the 1949 version was one of my favourites as a child, and I didn't read the book until I was in my early twenties, but I don't remember being disappointed by the book, so I'd give it another go if I were you Em! In fact, you've prompted me to have a look to see if it's available on the Kindle, and there is a 86p version with the four Little Women books in it, which I think I'll invest in as I've only read Little Women and Good Wives in the past.

Ooh, I think I might actually have another read of it! I've definitely still got it somewhere and it deserves being dusted off and read again. :)

I read this last year, and enjoyed it, except that the 'preachiness' of it irritated me. I suppose it is a book of its time.

Definitely loved the character of Jo - by far she was the most likeable character (for me anyway). I might read the later books in the series at some point, but I'm not bothered if I never get around to them.

My favourite thing about Little Women is that episode of Friends where Joey reads it and puts it in the freezer because Beth is really, really sick :D

I'd forgotten that! And then when they're having an argument and Rachel shouts out a spoiler for this one (I won't say what it is so I don't spoil it for anyone else here).

• 5 months later...

I hope it's okay to add on to an older post!

Little Women is book I've re-read many times from when I was fifteen - and is one of my favourites.

A couple of years ago I got hold of Little Men and Jo's Boys - which were wonderful in their own right.

I wasn't aware of Good Wives - should look out for that.

• 1 month later...