Do you have a non-kindle e-reader?

~Andrea~

Woot - got my Kobo today :doowapstart: Looking forward to trying it out, though I don't suppose it will be very soon as a) I have a busy week and b) I still have some paper books to get though. Excited though!

Ooh, let me know how you get on, can't wait for Xmas to get mine! :)

I had my iriver story HD last month. It support most of the format except mobi. But I don't like pdf format because the font size is too small when view in a 6 inch e-reader.

You can make the font size bigger for pdf by clicking the menu button whilst reading a book, and choosing 'reflow on' :) It then allows you to make the text bigger without cutting words off.

Well so far so good. It was easy to setup and it's been easy to get books on there (all using my birthday kobo vouchers :D) but I haven't done any real reading yet, except for a few samples. It's been easy to use for what I've done with it so far, things like changing the font size and line spacing. I even get the little line drawings from Madeleine L'Engle's "A Wrinkle In Time", they are rendered quite well. So far happy happy happy. The glo light is good too, a very smooth light all over the page which you can adjust.

Well so far so good. It was easy to setup and it's been easy to get books on there (all using my birthday kobo vouchers :D) but I haven't done any real reading yet, except for a few samples. It's been easy to use for what I've done with it so far, things like changing the font size and line spacing. I even get the little line drawings from Madeleine L'Engle's "A Wrinkle In Time", they are rendered quite well. So far happy happy happy. The glo light is good too, a very smooth light all over the page which you can adjust.

Sounds great, I can't wait to try mine out!! :)

I have a Kobo Touch reader, and I like it a lot. I like how they give you those virtual rewards for reading a lot or for searching a lot of words in the dictionary... Their online store, though not as big as Amazon and Barnes&Noble, has an impressive selection of books.

They're just virtual awards for fun. For example the witching hour award (Read 5 times between 12am-1am), or the page turner award for reading a book two hours straight. It's a bit like Xbox awards that get released when you play games (although I think you can actually spend those as gamer points or something?)

I have a Sony e-reader and have so far been able to use it to download everything I want to.I buy books from Waterstones or the Kobo websites. I've also downloaded from Google books and more. I got it because I don't like the way Amazon monopolize everything bookish be it physical books or e-books and deliberately didn't want to buy a Kindle. Interestingly my local library 'lends' out e-books but you can't 'borrow' them on Kindles!!!

My parents bought me the Kobo Glo for Christmas. It's white on the front and hot pink on the back... not too sure about that but I'll be buying a cover for it anyway! Has anyone here with a Kobo Glo bought a cover for it online, and can you give me any tips?

I've asked for this from my brother for Christmas but I don't know what he's actually got me yet as I'm not seeing him until tomorrow.

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/Products/Kobo-Glo-Book-Style-Case-Purple+General-Electronics+36127825

If he doesn't get it for me I suspect I'll buy it anyway. I'll let you know what it's like.

I have a Sony e-reader and have so far been able to use it to download everything I want to.I buy books from Waterstones or the Kobo websites. I've also downloaded from Google books and more. I got it because I don't like the way Amazon monopolize everything bookish be it physical books or e-books and deliberately didn't want to buy a Kindle. Interestingly my local library 'lends' out e-books but you can't 'borrow' them on Kindles!!!

I have a Kindle, and download from all those sites too (well, certainly Waterstones and Google) - having a Kindle does not limit you to Amazon! (Equally, I've converted Amazon books for a Kobo). The issue of converting is trivial - downloaded the relevant plug-ins for Calibre, so now all I do is download files to Calibre, and then send them to the e-book from there - and was not an issue when deciding which e-reader to buy.

Edited by willoyd

I've asked for this from my brother for Christmas but I don't know what he's actually got me yet as I'm not seeing him until tomorrow.

http://www.whsmith.c...ronics 36127825

If he doesn't get it for me I suspect I'll buy it anyway. I'll let you know what it's like.

I ended up buying this, click onto the picture of the purple one:

http://www.ebay.ie/i...=item5899a9cd95

Yay purple! I have no idea if it will be any good, but it's gorgeous and it was only a tenner!