Do you have a non-kindle e-reader?

~Andrea~

I'm thinking of getting an e-reader for Christmas, but I don't want a kindle as I don't want to be so tied to amazon.

Does anyone have a non-kindle e-reader? How do you find it? How easy is it to get e-books onto it? Would you recommend it?

I had a Sony E-Reader prior to the launch of the Kindle but I found it to be not very user friendly. One thing you may want to check out before you buy is what format most of the books you propose to buy are in. Certain E-Readers will only read certain formats which can make the decision making process a minefield. You can probably convert the formats in a program like Calibre but I couldn't tell you if that involves stripping the DRM which has legal ramifications.

I use Calibre to change ePub (which I believe works in most readers except kindle) to Mobi (which is the kindle format) - so if you're happy to use that, you can change most to a kindle format, without being stuck to amazon.

As Brian has said, I think most of the readers limit you to a certain format, whereas with a kindle and Calibre, you should be able to read most formats.

Thanks for your replies. I am only really bothered about being able to read in epub. I want to be able to download a book straight to my device without having to bother converting it. I know if I had a kindle i would end up buying all my books from amazon as it would be easier, and that's what I'm trying to avoid. As far as i know the Kobo, Nook, and Sony all read epub which is an industry standard rather than a proprietry format like Amazon's mobi.

I had a Sony E-Reader prior to the launch of the Kindle but I found it to be not very user friendly.

I found that as well. Just getting the books onto the damn thing was a trial in itself. Wouldn't recommend a Sony at all.

Thanks for your replies. I am only really bothered about being able to read in epub. I want to be able to download a book straight to my device without having to bother converting it. I know if I had a kindle i would end up buying all my books from amazon as it would be easier, and that's what I'm trying to avoid. As far as i know the Kobo, Nook, and Sony all read epub which is an industry standard rather than a proprietry format like Amazon's mobi.

What does your library use.

I bought a non-kindle e-reader for the same reason, I have a Kobo it's very user friendly and uses e-pub format it's really easy to download books onto them, I personally think they look better than most e-readers too, asthetics are important afterall.

WHS have the Kobo Mini on offer for around £50. I am considering buying one as I want to be able to download library books, but it seems very extravagant, especially as I'm not totally in love with my Kindle. It is useful for trips away - but I would much prefer to be able to download books free of charge. Our library has very limited ebooks at the moment as a trial, but I'm fairly confident the service will be extended.

Also, I believe some counties allow people who don't live there to join to take out ebooks - I seem to remember being told that Essex have no restrictions (although I haven't looked into this).

Have you heard of the Beagle Janet? Not sure it that's something that could work for you?

Thanks BIGhay. How do you get your ebooks? Does your kobo have wifi so you can get them directly from an online bookstore? If so which ones do you use?

This is a very interesting article about the Beagle - http://www.guardian....e-reader-review

Added:

The beagle itself won't be sold individually; you'll only be able to get one is by purchasing it when you sign up for a mobile phone contract on specific carriers. The beagle will be offered as an extra incentive for signing with the carrier (so when you go into, say, an EE or Vodafone store, you'll be offered a txtr beagle as a one-off £8 add-on to your contract), rather like offering a protective case or docking speaker system as an incentive.

I have a Kobo Touch so it has Wi-fi which makes it easy to download, I work for an online bookstore so that's where I get all my ebooks. I would give you the name but I don't think I'm allowed to here as it may be considered spam or advertising. All online bookstores are relitively easy to download from though.

Thanks everyone - I'm going to go for the Kobo. Just need to pick a colour now :) and I'm getting it for my birthday instead of Chrimbo so should have it in a couple of weeks :boogie:

You'll have to do a little review on it for us once you have had time to get used to it.

• 2 weeks later...