Favourite meal out / take away

ian

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like chinese food if I'm eating out. For some reason I crave the crispy fried seaweed (yes I know its finely chopped fried greens/cabbage). I can't stand sweet and sour stuff though. I also like Caribbean Indian food, rotis (flat bread wraps) filled with spicey curried lamb/chicken/chickpeas & potatoes. I also like Southern fried chicken or I'd go for chips, the fat ones with just salt and vinegar or I'd get it and bring it home to add some homemade curry sauce. If I do get kebabs I go for those shish kebabs with recognisable diced chuncks of chicken or lamb and it must have loads of salad with it. Kebab wraps are neater to eat than the stuffed pittas so that's what I choose.

• 1 month later...

If we get the rare chance of a night out that doesn't involve a cheap coffee somewhere, then Mexican always. There is an exquisite Mexican restaurant near us that is to die for. It's delicious, everything they do.

Takeaway would either be Indian or our local kebab place.

Favorite, favorite pick up meal out has to be a roast beef debris po'boy. Here is a pic. Lots of places down here have them though. http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/10/25/roast-beef-po-boy-debris-gravy/

Directly after that would be an fried oyster po'boy.....do I detect a trend here?? lol

Favorite, favorite pick up meal out has to be a roast beef debris po'boy. Here is a pic. Lots of places down here have them though. http://www.nolacuisi...y-debris-gravy/

Directly after that would be an fried oyster po'boy.....do I detect a trend here?? lol

^ Oooh, that looks like something I'd enjoy, but I'd probably prefer it with raw onion rather than cooked. I love raw onion. :D

And Bell Pepper would be good too. I usually have some sort of cheese added too. Swiss, Moz, or chedder usually.

Indian vegetarian cuisine is my best meal, at an exclusively vegetarian restaurant.

Definitely Indian - in fact my mouth is watering thinking about it after reading this thread. Had a veggie sausage sandwich for tea - not quite the same thing!

Indian food, rotis (flat bread wraps) filled with spicey curried lamb/chicken/chickpeas & potatoes.

Takeaway would either be Indian or our local kebab place.

All of you are most welcome home, if you're ever in the vicinity, that is :D

(Though I dare say, Indian food is India is very different from the Indian food outside.)

My current favourite cuisine is Tibetan. There is a quite a few Tibetans near our new home, and I can't get enough of their momos and thukpas.

Edited by bree

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hmm.. dinner wise, I think it'd have to be pizza (chicken pizza or meat pizza more specifically). Second would have to be a meat dish (ie. shoarma, pita bread, garlic sauce, chips and salad). I also like some Chinese food (which here is also somewhat Indonesian food sometimes) and chips and burger (kroket is nice too but for dinner I prefer a burger). I haven't had that many different kinds of takeaway dinner tbh, here you only have a few different options. They seem to have more different things in ie. the UK, or perhaps in larger cities here. We don't do takeaway that often normally, it costs quite a bit of money and is usually not that healthy (also, in the case of Chinese or chips you have to drive there yourself, in the case of pizza or meat dish they deliver it). I do like it, though XD.

Mexican is my favourite especially burritos and chilli.  I love chinese food also particularly noodle dishes.

Sometimes thought there is nothing better than a gravy chip with tonnes of vinegar :-)

Has anyone tried recipes from The Takeaway Secret?  I've had the book sat on my shelf for about a year but shamefully haven't tried anything from it. This week I'm going to try the doner kebabs as they have received really positive comments online.

I made the doner kebabs and they were delicious. They tasted exactly like what you get from a takeaway. I'll be making them at home from now on!

When I was in McLeod Ganj, momos with chilli sauce were on the agenda every day, from Tibetan street vendors. ;):P

Missed this post!

Sean, there is a lovely little Tibetan eat-out there - on the main street - opposite to the Tibetan Handlooms shop (It's easy to miss if you don't know about it though)

There have a wonderful range of Tibetan food - which I can't remember the names of!

There was a particular rice-noodle-soupy  dish with bamboo shoots which was my favourite.

Any plans of another trip to McLeod? :)

Has anyone tried recipes from The Takeaway Secret?  I've had the book sat on my shelf for about a year but shamefully haven't tried anything from it. This week I'm going to try the doner kebabs as they have received really positive comments online.

I made the doner kebabs and they were delicious. They tasted exactly like what you get from a takeaway. I'll be making them at home from now on!

What a great idea for a book! I think you ought to go Julie & Julia on the whole thing and start a thread on here to record your thoughts :D

:giggle:  The problem is that most of the new meals I try to make often turn out to be not as nice as I'd hoped. :giggle2:

I'm trying a sponge cake recipe today that everyone at work raves about, and I'm a bit nervous about it as my last attempt at cooking a cake was a disaster. It was raw dough on the inside - I didn't know what to look for to check it was fully cooked.

This was the latest tip I saw for checking if a sponge cake is cooked - if you press it lightly with your finger at the edge of the cake it should bounce back up quickly, and if you do the same in the middle, it should bounce back as quickly as the edge of the cake did. Now, you probably know I've started baking a lot more recently, so I've read all sorts of tips and I'm always on the look out for more. I've just found Delia's online school, and her first demonstration is a sponge cake, so I'm going to look at that later on, but here's the link if you want to have a look yourself bobblybear: http://www.deliaonline.com

I always stick a fork in in the middle of the cake and check if it comes out clean.

Same. If it's clean it's fully baked. I use this tip everytime and never had any issues. Or you can use a knife :D

I use a skewer for firmer cakes, but for sponges, they're more delicate which is why you only need to press them with a finger, especially if you're not 100% confident as a baker, your sponges could end up with load of holes in them if you keep testing too often! It also depends on whether you're going to do any decoration on top, as then it won't matter as you'll cover up the holes, but if you're leaving it plain, it'll look like it's got woodworm.

The other crucial thing with sponges is not to open the door of the oven for the first three quarters of the baking time, as this could cause the sponge to sink in the middle.

Thanks guys - Chesil, I did the 'press test' and it came out ok (at least it looks ok). Last time I used a raw spaghetti stick (didn't have a skewer, and thought a knife might muck it up) and it came out moist but clean. I thought that would mean it's cooked, but I was told later on that it should come out dry.

Co-workers warned me not to open the oven as it would sink, so I was quite careful with that.

This is the finished result. I haven't tasted it yet though. :giggle:

post-7534-0-24755900-1362238134_thumb.jpgpost-7534-0-14820600-1362238144_thumb.jpg