Who Would You Dress Up As?

Kylie

If you do, can we see a pic? Don't forget your cravat either! mocking.gif

I have seen Darcy costumes advertised online but not had an excuse to do it yet. Absolutely wordsgood, I would certainly take some pics.

I'll go with Lucy Honeychurch from EM Forster's A Room With A View (mainly because I'm such a fan of Helena Bonham Carter)

Hey poppy that would look great. Any particular outfit you like of those pictured?

Mods, just realised I"m double posting and should have combined this with my first. Sorry. Begs forgiveness... :thud:

I don't know what who I'd want to dress up from the literary world. The characters I really like in any genre always have something on that sounds very cool and sexy too, but darned uncomfortable, and sometimes downright painful. Victorian classics...what with the whale bone :blink: stays cinched so tight your organs get shifted around, then petticoat after petticoat, then the dress...no thanks.

As for those from the fantasy genre, they sound gorgeous, but then when you stop to think about what they are describing, I tend to shudder in fear at the thought of attempting to put on something like similar. It's either skin tight, one piece leather outfits - can you even imagine trying to pour yourself into something like that? Oouch(!) is what comes to mind for me.

Or its layers of flowing, beaded and/or delicately embroidered, sheer materials that flows when they move. I'd probably ended up tripping all over myself just trying to get something like that on...and tearing several pieces in process! Or, if managed to get into one with both me and the dress in one piece, it would be just my luck to go outside and have a big wind come up before I had time to react. :o

However, I will tell you a story of something I did for Halloween many moons ago when I was much younger, braver and gravity hadn't yet decided to haunt me. If this doesn't give you a giggle, then nothing will!

I was seeing this guy and finally got him to agree to going out as cats. (Not to a party even, to go bar hopping of all things.) What I didn't tell him is just how far I was going to take it, especially for him. I wore a one piece body suit (no legs or arms and quite popular in the late 1980's to with jeans, or a mini-skirt). I spent days putting sequins on it to resemble stripes that seemed "cat-like" (at least to me). The I made use these little furry ears in the proper cat shape with curve and all that showed the "inside" of our ears in the front, attached them to plastic hair bands, which I covered in matching fur. Then to the pièce de résistance... He liked to wear really tight speedo type undies, so unbeknown to him, I took one, and with my Mom's help, chopped it up for sizing and used it to create pattern from which we made a matching fur pair. Then, with a lot more fake fur, some stuffing, some coat hanger wire, and a lot of reinforcing on both my body suit and the his new furry bottom, we managed to make, and attach 3 foot long (or .914 meters if you prefer) tails to both of them. The came straight out at the base a few inches (but were flexible enough to sit), then arced out and downward, before arcing back in near the base, then curled back up at the based like a real cats tail sometimes. When we walked, they swayed quite naturally. Oh, also made him a matching fur vest.

Of course I knew I was going to have a fight on my hands so made sure he saw me in mine before revealing his costume. I also made sure it was just before we were supposed to head out the door Halloween night. He was, of course, most impressed with my costume....and was good natured when I showed him the vest, then the ears...but then I took out his bottom piece with attached tail. For some reason his mood changed!

Half because he just wanted to get to a bar where the liquor was, and half I think because he was afraid of my mother (with good reason), he grumbled, put the whole outfit on and off we went. Even though we didn't win any costume contests at the bars we went to - which by the way, I think we should have given the ones that did win - we did get lots and lots of compliments.

Okay, I'm big enough to admit now that most of the compliments were from men, and thinking back, it was a pretty sl**ty costume. :blush: The angle of my sequins didn't really help all being pointed in a V-shaped heading downwards, with every stripe getting progressively smaller and more pointed. But I swear, I was trying for tiger stripes to match the striped tiger fake fur I used for the rest of our costumes! And I was very young, only 19 at the time. :giggle:

Having been only one of two times, aside from my drivers license and passport, that I voluntarily had pictures taking of myself, I found it highly suspicious when our camera went missing.......... :o

Now, I dare you tell me you didn't get a good laugh out this embarrassing story? And no, I don't know how it was my mother never picked up on the sequined stripes either. :giggle2:

Edited by wordsgood

I have seen Darcy costumes advertised online but not had an excuse to do it yet. Absolutely wordsgood, I would certainly take some pics.

Yaayy, now please go find a reason 'cause I really wanna see those pics!

Poppy, I haven't read the book you're referring to, so what would this costume look like? If you can describe it, that is.

Kylie, you started this thread, so who would you dress as? Enquiring minds want to know!

Edited by wordsgood

Wordsgood, your tiger costumes sounds fabulous, I love the swingy tail touch. If anyone was thinking suggestive things, it would purely be their dirty minds :giggle2:

Hey poppy that would look great. Any particular outfit you like of those pictured?

Poppy, I haven't read the book you're referring to, so what would this costume look like? If you can describe it, that is.

Wordsgood, A Room With a View was set in the Edwardian period. The attached thumbnail shows her clothes (just click on it and it gets bigger) I'm afraid I can't decide which one I like best, I'll just have to go with the whole wardrobe. :cool:

post-3715-0-46474700-1351501647_thumb.jpg

Edited by poppy

I guess it's a bit of a cliche to say one of the Bennet girls but wouldn't it be lovely to don a full length empire line dress and petticoats and go gallivanting about the countryside? .. I'd look hideous in a bonnet though.

I'd quite like to dress as Anne Shirley because I love the thought of having red hair and freckles if only for a day. If I could be her being the Lady of Shalott .. that would be perfect. So .. although I don't think Anne went to the bother of dressing up for the role .. I'd have a long green velvet pre-raphaelite dress on .. and red hair and freckles :D

Lisbeth Salander from The Girl With Dragon Tattoo books - the outfit I would choose would be the one she wears in the court scene during the Swedish version of the final film from the trilogy (The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest). I am not sure if I could walk in those boots mind you, but it would raise a few eyebrows !

Thanks Poppy! That picture I would have shared :giggle2: The best part of that night was when we ran into some of his friends. Was very proud of the tails at that point. :devcat::giggle:

Edwardian costume, I should have clued without the pics. Those are pretty clothes, but again, too elaborate for me to imaging putting on, but pretty!

Talisman, that's another picture I would really like to see.... :giggle2:

I rather like the idea of dressing up in one of those massive hoop skirts, a la Scarlett O'Hara in Gone with the WInd:

post-3835-0-40605700-1351684046_thumb.jpg

I would also like to go as Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice, Poppyshake. :) I couldn't find a good pic to post of her dress, so I'll just post this instead:

post-3835-0-55165900-1351684551_thumb.jpg

Or I'd go as Daisy from The Great Gatsby:

post-3835-0-32433900-1351684783_thumb.jpg

I was watching the news tonight and one of the reporters was reporting from a suburb full of kids dressed up for Halloween. The reporter himself was dressed as Dexter!

My wedding dress needed to have a crinoline hoop under it to make the skirt expand properly. Very awkward and it was only a small, flexible one compared to Scarlet O'Hara pic you provided, Kylie. I shudder to even think about all the extra supports needed hold such a rig in place. Imagine if you fell backwards, you'd get turtled! Flailing your arms helplessly while trying, but failing, to right yourself without help. :giggle2:

Come to think of it though, this occassionally happens to my fat, er, muscular, cat! Does eventually manage to get himself right side up, but still fun for us to watch. He doesn't thinks so, but we do! :giggle2: