Your Book Activity ~ October 2012

Kylie

370 pages into Fingersmith :smile:

I currently have a 20% off card-type-thing from Smiths which is valid for the next two weeks, and it's burning a hole in my pocket. Might have to buy books.

I love Sarah Waters :) Fingersmith was a brilliant book!

I finished Me Before You last night. So brilliant. It's amazing how a book can be so light-hearted in some parts and then so depressingly serious in others. One of the best books of this year I think.

It was wonderful how she did that - some scenes were hilarious, and then a few pages later, I'd be in tears. Definitely a brilliant read, which I have been recommending all over the place!

Finished Bring Up the Bodies .. brilliant and I can't wait for the final one. Hilary Mantel is a genius. Started The Paris Wife :smile:

I bought The Paris Wife fairly recently - I am fascinated by books about authors, whether they are biographies or dramatisations. I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts on it :)

Oooo, must look that one up, I really enjoyed Dorothy Sayers books. I'm reading one I'm pretty sure you recommended .......Mr Chartwell by Rebecca Hunt.

'Mr Chartwell' is wonderful, and all these months later it still resonates with me. Such an unusual way to tell a story. It is so incredibly captivating and at the point of reading the central premise makes exquisiite sense. How the heck she 'sold' the story to a publisher is beyond me - I wouldn't have known where to begin! ;)

I second these recommendations. Mr Chartwell is a terrific, unusual book.

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

Haven't read any of the others you mentioned, but you are in for a treat with The Art of Racing in the Rain. :)

Yeah, the series. I've never read the book, and from Sofia's comments I'm guessing it's not worth it at all.

It isn't!! And this is coming from someone who loved the tv show. I read the Sex and the City book, and then, just to give the author another chance, I read 4 Blondes, also by Candace Bushnell. My advice is, if you're thinking about reading these books, stop thinking! I don't know how they managed to get such a terrific tv show out of the book.

Well I'm really happy we happened upon Ruth's reading log at the same time and had the same concerns about the book, now I feel all the more confident it's not what I fear it might be, but rather the book I'm hoping it will be. Thanks! :D

Ah, thank you for your lovely comments. I'm always happy to spread the word about good books :) Thanks also to Star - I'm not sure if she posts on this thread, but she wrote a review of it which is on this site, and that also prompted me to read Me Before You :)

As for own current reading....I finished reading Dead Man Walking, by Sister Helen Prejean last night - quite possibly the best book I have read this year. Hugely emotive and a heavy subjct (the death penalty in the USA). Utterly compelling true account of Sister Helen's friendship with two death row inmates. I am filled with admiration for this lady, and highly, highly, highly recommend this book.

This morning, I started Under the Dragon's Tail, by Maureen Jennings - the second book in the Murdoch Mysteries series. I loved the first one, and so far this one is shaping up to be just as good :)

Edited by Ruth

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh, that would definitely be annoying. Thanks for warning me about it! Wolf Hall is one of those books that intimidates me for some reason. Should I be intimidated? Is it a difficult read?

I heard the audio so obviously that helped but I don't think it's intimidating at all or difficult. Willoyd read it and didn't have problems with the punctuation or whatnot so fingers crossed that side of things won't frustrate you. It's a great read .. truly memorable.

I bought The Paris Wife fairly recently - I am fascinated by books about authors, whether they are biographies or dramatisations. I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts on it :)

It's going well so far Ruth .. great subject :)

Now there's several hours of wasted reading I"ll never get back :roll:

Agreed 100%!!

Yeah, the series. I've never read the book, and from Sofia's comments I'm guessing it's not worth it at all.

Oh good. I was worried you meant the book :giggle: It was a whole lot of crap in my opinion, a book that didn't deserved to be written/published. All hats off to the writers who created such an excellent TV series from such a bad book!

Edit: I see Ruth has already said all this... But I want to second her opinion just in case there were any doubts :giggle2:

I'll steer clear of the book then, though I have to say it's never tempted me. The TV series on the other hand......I've seen it through 5 or 6 times, and I never get sick of it. It's just brilliant!! :boogie:

Same here! I own most of the series on dvd. It's a hidden secret of mine that I watch the show - this is probably the first time I have admitted to anyone other than my bf that I watch it. :giggle:

If my friends knew I watched it (being a tom boy and all), they would always be teasing me about it! Giving me grief and what not, friendly of course.

I did buy the book at one stage, but I didn't read it for two years so ended up giving it to the op shop.

Edited by Devi

Same here! I own most of the series on dvd. It's a hidden secret of mine that I watch the show - this is probably the first time I have admitted to anyone other than my bf that I watch it. :giggle:

:D Well your secret's quite safe with us, I believe us fans are numerous on here :friends3:

I did buy the book at one stage, but I didn't read it for two years so ended up giving it to the op shop.

A very wise choice :cool: I remember buying the book at the turn of the millennium, and I tried giving it a go pretty soon after buying but found it horrible. It was full of characters I'd never heard of, the book doesn't concentrate on Carrie, Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte like the series does. They are only few of the many minor characters in the book :rolleyes: I did end up reading the book years later, but I really had to force it on myself. If I had to read it now, for the first time, I wouldn't suffer through it, I'd chuck it in the bin.

Managed another 70 pages or so of The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides. All the characters, except for the main one, have such unusual names. I think it would quite annoy me if I didn't like Eugenides so much.

I've just about finished "We are all made of glue" by Marina Lewycka. I've really enjoyed it, quite funny, sad and insightful all at once. I think I've read "A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian" but I'm not sure, so I'll have to look for it next time I'm at the library.

Have just looked on my library catalogue and they've got a few others by her as well that I'll have to read.

*whispers back so my book doesn't hear* 'The Attenbury Emerlads' by Jill Paton Walsh (based on the characters of Dorothy L Sayers).

Well done on the reading! :D I read a children's book by Jill Paton Walsh last year - A Parcel of Patterns - which was based on the plague village of Eyam in Derbyshire. :) I hope you continue to enjoy your read!

I need to start The Art of Racing in the Rain for the RC. I've been so busy and taken so long with my last book that I've only got 3 days until the thread opens - whoops!

I need to start The Art of Racing in the Rain for the RC. I've been so busy and taken so long with my last book that I've only got 3 days until the thread opens - whoops!

Ditto! Even though I've already read it this year, I'm still looking forward to revisiting Enzo and his wisdom. :boogie:

I finished The Little Stranger Sarah Waters a few days ago a really good read & am currently reading Ethan Frome Edith Wharton , it's only 132 pages long so should finish it today in time to start on The Art Of Racing In The Rain :smile:

Forgot to say that I finished The Declaration by Gemma Malley. It was ok - very much young-adult and I probably would have preferred it if it were written in a more heavy-handed serious way. I could have done without Anna blushing every time Peter looked at her, but what's young-adult without a little budding romance?

I finished Ethan Frome this afternoon my first Edith Wharton but definitely want to read more of her books. I've made a start on The Art Of Racing..... & i'm liking it already it's very easy to get into.

I've gotten about a hundred pages further along in my Salman Rushdie memoir, and must say, it's really picking up for me! Other than that, I'm still feeling really scatterbrained at the moment so am more or less reading a page or two here and there out of several books, remembering almost none of it.

Reading mojo was pretty bad before getting the big "D" (diagnosis) and while I am feeling more positive, still scared, but definitely more positive, it has squashed my mojo down to nearly zilch since then. I just can't seem to stay focused on any one book for any real length of time.

Now if only it work on my book buying mojo. If anything, it's only kicked that into even higher gear. And that is certainly not what our back account needs. :giggle2:

I finished reading Darkly Dreaming Dexter which was an amazing book. Definitely one of my favourites of 2012.

Whilst i was waiting for the second book in the series, i read 'The Devil's Garden' by Richard Montanari, it was quite a good book however did take some time to get into it.

I have just started reading 'Dearly Devoted Dexter' again a fantastic read, I am loving the Dexter series! :)

Ah, thank you for your lovely comments. I'm always happy to spread the word about good books :) Thanks also to Star - I'm not sure if she posts on this thread, but she wrote a review of it which is on this site, and that also prompted me to read Me Before You

I missed this before! I'm always happy to listen to people spreading the word about good books :D Keep up with the good work :)

I finished reading Darkly Dreaming Dexter which was an amazing book. Definitely one of my favourites of 2012.

Good stuff! :D

I have just started reading 'Dearly Devoted Dexter' again a fantastic read, I am loving the Dexter series! :)

I'm very happy to hear this! Oh you are in for such treats with the series, I can't wait til you get to the fifth novel in the series, it's in my opinion by far the best!

I'm still reading The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides. I think I'm more than halfway through. I'm very much enjoying it.

I started The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy last night, love it! I can't believe I put it off for so long.

I still need to finish The Children's Book, I'm not very certain why it's taking me so long to get through it, despite the fact that it's enjoyable. Might be the way too long at times descriptions.

I have started The Art of Racing in the Rain. With my reading rate, I'll be lucky to finish it by the end of the reading circle month, but at least I'll finish it! I seem to be starting an awful lot of books lately and not finishing them (which is a shame, because they've all been great). I think I'm in the middle of about 5 books now.

I also received a book in the mail today: I'm with the Band by Pamela Des Barres

This book started off so well, but by about a quarter of the way through it was starting to get quite tedious. Oh to rectify what I said about reading 'The Stand' by Stephen King, I decided to read 'Eclipse' by Stephenie Meyer. I friend has lent me all of the 'Twilight' books (have already read the first two) and thought that I should read these, so I can return them quickly. So far, it's ok, just an escapist read really.

I've finished 'Eclipse' by Stephenie Meyer and I was quite disappointed. Meyer's is not as good as Suzanne Collins who writes 'The Hunger Games' trilogy. However, I have to finish 'The Twilight Saga', so I'm about to start reading 'Breaking Dawn'.