What's Up In October?

Kell

Yes, it's October already! How on earth did we get to be in the last quarter? Crisp weather, brisk walks, cozying up with hot chocolate and hot water bottles, and of course, Halloween soon!

What's everyone up to?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A photo for Bree. My Granddaughter studied abroad in Ghana last semester. While there she organized a small safari for her and 5 classmates. This is a photo of a couple elephants. Are they pretty similar to your elephants?

Edited by muggle not

This month has started out on a awful note. The daughter of a friend of ours committed suicide on the 1st. The parents were out of town, received the news from an older sibling. We are all reeling.

This month has started out on a awful note. The daughter of a friend of ours committed suicide on the 1st. The parents were out of town, received the news from an older sibling. We are all reeling.

That's so tragic, so sorry to hear about that! :( *Hugs*

Thanks emelee. Everyone is still in shock.

I must add that we didn't really know the daughter, except from what her mother and another friend told us. (she lived across the lake, down in N.O.)

Our mutual friend found the note, and called emergency services (911 here) and called us. We stayed with her throughout the evening and night. Fortunately the note she found said what happened, and she didn't have to actually see what happened. /shiver/

Edited by pontalba

It is so heartbreaking when young people commit suicide. My graduation from 9th grade turned into a somber get-together because a boy in another class committed suicide the evening before.

I've also talked to a patient when I was a nurse assistant who was suicidal. It was horrible. One one hand you don't want them to suffer, but on the other hand you are hopeful that things will turn around for them.

Heard today of a man who jumped infront of a subway train. Those kinds of suicide are so selfish IMO. Not only do you cause such pain for your family & friends --- but for total strangers who happens to be there. The driver, the passengers, the people waiting for their train......

And yet another perspective, I am pro-euthanasia under certain circumstances. Like if you are totally paralyzed, laying like a vegetable, depressed like crazy in a hospital bed and have absolutely no chance of getting better. Or if you have an incurable illness that will first be very painful until you finally die. In those two examples, I would want to kill myself. But that is another question completely.

It's such a shame that people fall between the cracks in society. Help should be easier to get. Just the thought of wanting to end you life should be enough to qualify to get professional help. As much as family means, as much as you love and adore your family, they may not always be what you need in every situation. Sometimes you do need more.

I had suicidal thoughts when I was a teenager. I had a dark period when I was very depressed. But I never made any active plans of how and when (thank god!!!) My love for my family prevented it. Just thinking of my parents made me continue fighting my depression. I did get professional help years later, but not for depression, rather panic anxiety. Helped so much!!!!!! The depression I was able to fight myself. Haven't slipped back since and I am feeling lightyears better.

I think society spends way too little money, effort and time on the psychologically hurting. So much more could be done. But it's never been any priority. Shame.

That is very saddening pontabla. My thoughts are with that poor girl who passed on, and her family.

Heard today of a man who jumped infront of a subway train. Those kinds of suicide are so selfish IMO. Not only do you cause such pain for your family & friends --- but for total strangers who happens to be there. The driver, the passengers, the people waiting for their train......

I understand why you'd feel that way. But its really not so simple is it? Who knows what devils he was fighting in his mind that blinded him everything else, and he chose death over life.

A photo for Bree. My Granddaughter studied abroad in Ghana last semester. While there she organized a small safari for her and 5 classmates. This is a photo of a couple elephants. Are they pretty similar to your elephants?

They are beautiful muggle-not!

These are African elephants - the Indian ones have smaller ears, and are much smaller in stature too.

How did your granddaughter like Ghana? (I keep dreaming of visiting Africa some day)

I'm so sorry Pont, a parent's worst nightmare.

How sad Pontalba. A young death leaves such devastation in it's wake.

Today my brother leaves to head home to Australia. He has been in the UK for 3 weeks, spending the first weekend and this last 5 days with us. It has flown by! We are meeting some friends at the airport who want to see him off. I have already decided to leave before he heads through. I can't face seeing him go through, so we plan n joining the friends for a coffee then leaving them chatting round a table - much better for my fragile emotions to cope with! :blush2:

Yay it's October! The first of my three favourite months of the year. :) I'm really looking forward to Halloween, and then there's my birthday and Christmas to look forward too. I'm also very glad that today is Friday, I'm tired and need a break from work!

Not started brilliantly here, found out this week that a good friend is quite ill and also that another friends dog has today started a course of chemo but the prognosis is poor, not an old dog either :(.

Also my old girl (15 in January) is showing serious signs of age now, whilst still pretty happy and mobile her back legs are weakening at a fair pace and I can see that we now may now have months rather than years with her :( she has been such a big part of our lives, was there before the kids and other dogs, plus though a fair few house moves and it will be so hard when she is not there anymore...

It's such a shame that people fall between the cracks in society. Help should be easier to get. Just the thought of wanting to end you life should be enough to qualify to get professional help. As much as family means, as much as you love and adore your family, they may not always be what you need in every situation. Sometimes you do need more.

I think society spends way too little money, effort and time on the psychologically hurting. So much more could be done. But it's never been any priority. Shame.

I agree, society does not give the attention that should be given to help prople in these situations. Shame on us.

They are beautiful muggle-not!

These are African elephants - the Indian ones have smaller ears, and are much smaller in stature too.

How did your granddaughter like Ghana? (I keep dreaming of visiting Africa some day)

My GD enjoyed her stay in Ghana. It was not her favorite Country that she has visited but she said she learned a lot about the culture and is glad she studied there . The previous summer she spent a month in Morocco as a volunteer in a children's hospital. She really enjoyed Morocco and learned much about the people and their culture. She has also visited europe 3 different times and while between grades 11 and 12 (during High School in the U.S.) studied at Oxford Universityin the UK for a whole summer (straight A's :)). She gave a speech at her High school graduation at age 17.......(I know I am bragging on her but it can't be helped :) )

Part of her speech...................... we must be conscious of the decisions we make because our family and friends will not always be there to clean up our mess. That is not to say that we should not make any decisions for fear of messing up, because sometimes inaction is worse than action and we should never allow the fear of failure to stop us from chasing our dreams. But as you ponder the many decisions that lay before you, remember these words from Frank Sinatra in an interview with a world famous magazine: “If you don’t know the guy on the other side of the world, love him anyway because he’s just like you. He has the same dreams, the same hopes and fears. It’s one world, pal. We’re all neighbors.” Now it is up to us to go out into the world, find our inspiration, and write the future.

Edited by muggle not

Not started brilliantly here, found out this week that a good friend is quite ill and also that another friends dog has today started a course of chemo but the prognosis is poor, not an old dog either :(.

Also my old girl (15 in January) is showing serious signs of age now, whilst still pretty happy and mobile her back legs are weakening at a fair pace and I can see that we now may now have months rather than years with her :( she has been such a big part of our lives, was there before the kids and other dogs, plus though a fair few house moves and it will be so hard when she is not there anymore...

So sorry chalie ... sending hugs xx

.......(I know I am bragging on her but it can't be helped :) )

Part of her speech......................

Your granddaughter sounds an interesting young lady, muggle-not.

And going by that speech, you have every reason to be proud of her, and show her off :)

(I didn't leave my home-town till I was 25, but having travelled a bit now (all within the country) - I see how educating it can be - and it's one of the things I'd like my little girl to experience as she grows.)