Book News!

Raven

I received a notification from Amazon today informing me that publication for the new book by Diana Gabaldon, Written In My Own Heart's Blood would again be delayed.  I'd put the order in last June (2013) for the hardback, and :blush2:  the kindle copy.  It was first due, I think to come out in Fall of this year.  Maybe December.....it's been so long I've forgotten.  :roll:

So.  Then it was put off till March of 2014.  Now it's been put off until June(ish) of 2014.  And, according to some of the comments, it may be put off again.....it seems to depend on the mini series being put out.  I'm really confused.  On her blog, DG said she had to make the book better.  Well, earlier this year, it was put off, supposedly, on account of the mini series on Starz network. 

Yes, my half-sister is a fan of DG, and she is very annoyed with the state of when the next book will come out. What ridiculous excuses too! Bah humbug.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazon U.S. has some excellent kindle specials on today.  The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt being one, The Son by Philipp Meyer another.  Some good SF as well,

The Wasteland Saga: Three Novels: Old Man and the Wasteland, The Savage Boy, The Road is a River by Nick Cole.  Hope it's good anyhow! :)

I suppose this qualifies, in a way, for book news. :)

I received my Powell's Books "review of the day".  It was for a photography book called Humans of New York.  It's based on a blog of the same name, 400 pictures in it, beautiful, glossy book.

So, I had to investigate the blog, of course! :D  Here is the link.  Ya gotta see it, to believe it.  You'll laugh out loud, cry, smile, and sigh!

http://www.humansofnewyork.com/

I just spent a lot of time reading through this blog. It's so interesting! It shows that absolutely everyone has a story to tell. Thank for the link, Pontalba. :)

Oh, you're quite welcome. :D  I've gone back and viewed some more tonight as well.  Fascinating stuff.   My husband is from New York, and gets quite a kick out of it.  Says it's right on target! :)

• 4 weeks later...

A while back I posted a link to Diana Gabaldon's blog.  The one that again postponed the publishing date for the latest book of hers, Number 8,  Written In My Own Heart's Blood.  I decided to check the blog again to see if there had been any changes.  Well, ladies and gents, there has been a change. 

The new publish date is.....drumroll....June 10th.  /sigh/  Delayed again, if I'm not mistaken, the last time it was sometime in March.  Anyhow, I was skimming through the posts by her readers after the announcement, and one Judith on November 23rd of last year, at 1:45 a.m.,  posted.  Please scroll down to see that post, and please, please then take note of DG's cold blooded response.  I was shocked. 

http://www.dianagabaldon.com/2013/11/well-alrighty-then-we-have-a-new-pub-date/#comment-20956  DG's response of which I speak is just below Judith's, posted at 1:55 p.m. November 23rd, 2013.

^ I bet she was only sick and tired of hearing the same thing. She's an author, writing is hard, and then you get people moaning about the books in a series. Don't start reading a series if you know you aren't able to wait patiently!

Edit: Ha, for some reason thought I was in the Book Activity thread and almost recorded my BA :D

Edited by frankie

Wow, she sounds like a Smartmouth, doesn't she ?  She does seem to have a large following of fans ,and I'm sure they are discouraged , waiting for her hew book. She should be glad she has so many who are excited for her newest book . 

Crikey!!! That was a bit harsh  :o

That was my reaction.  She has made a choice to deal with the public, and that comes with a few responsibilities.  Common courtesy being one of them. 

^ I bet she was only sick and tired of hearing the same thing. She's an author, writing is hard, and then you get people moaning about the books in a series. Don't start reading a series if you know you aren't able to wait patiently!

Edit: Ha, for some reason thought I was in the Book Activity thread and almost recorded my BA :D

I agree, but as I mentioned, there is Common Courtesy.  She is not writing for free, by a long shot.  Her remuneration is pretty darned good for what, 15 books or so?  Not to mention the Television mini series coming up.  She invests herself in all kinds of "events" to do with the Scottish community, really extending herself.  But I think it's pretty certain, she doesn't do them all for free.  And, in any case, there is the publicity factor, even if not monetary remuneration.

Wow, she sounds like a Smartmouth, doesn't she ?  She does seem to have a large following of fans ,and I'm sure they are discouraged , waiting for her hew book. She should be glad she has so many who are excited for her newest book . 

Yeah, rather flip on a serious question, I thought.

I can't see what the fuss is about myself - I agree with Frankie - she is fed up with people moaning at her for something which is clearly out of her control.

I've become so irritated with all the announcements, and backtracking that I don't even care about reading the rest of the series.  I suppose I will.  Eventually.  When I can get the book for a dollar at the Library Sale. :)

I suppose  she is fed up at people "moaning" at her,  (my heart bleeds) if asking why the continual backtracking on announcements can be called such.  However she is a person that has chosen to be in the public eye, and as I posted above, puts herself out to go to many, many events to advertise her books/series, so a cold hearted, and downright rude and abrupt answer such as she made there is just not done.  Not by anyone that cares about people.  It's just Common Courtesy that's required, IMO. 

BTW, the publishers are not the only ones to blame for the delays, she announced herself as short a time ago as November that she was doing some rewrites to improve......improve the novel??  I believe it was a little late for that! 

Only my opinion.

I agree, but as I mentioned, there is Common Courtesy.  She is not writing for free, by a long shot.  Her remuneration is pretty darned good for what, 15 books or so?  Not to mention the Television mini series coming up.  She invests herself in all kinds of "events" to do with the Scottish community, really extending herself.  But I think it's pretty certain, she doesn't do them all for free.  And, in any case, there is the publicity factor, even if not monetary remuneration.

Of course she doesn't write for free. I never said that. She is doing her job and she should get paid for it. But she's also a human being and not some book churning machine.

I don't think it's common courtesy to try and guilt trip an author to write faster because a person just wants to get on with the story, and to tell the author that one is dying and that because of that, please hurry up! :shrug:

Edit: I do understand why some people would be upset by her response, but personally I don't think it's such a big deal.

Edit2: And I applaud an author who will want to improve their novel if they see any need for it. I think she has a backbone to do that. Some authors would settle for less... And that might show in their books, and that in turn shows in the sales. The reason Gabaldon's books are so popular and widely read is probably due to her perfectionism. I don't think her fans would be delighted if she succumbed and released an inferior novel just because they couldn't wait patiently!

Edited by frankie

I thought it might be of interest to Mary Doria Russell fans...she of Doc fame. :)  That's Doc Holliday to y'all. :) She has a new book just going to the publisher, Epitaph, a sequel to Doc.  I'm very happy about this, as the only bit of a gripe I had with the wonderful Doc, was that the ending was a bit abrupt.  So, that is being remedied. :)

Also, if you read the link, you could scroll down for some information of her next book.  It's only in the thinking stages now, but she has the first line, and it's a corker.....  The book is Poe, as in Edgar Allen. 

http://www.marydoriarussell.net/2014/01/05/how-can-the-rolling-stones-play-jumpin-jack-flash-again/

Of course she doesn't write for free. I never said that. She is doing her job and she should get paid for it. But she's also a human being and not some book churning machine.

I don't think it's common courtesy to try and guilt trip an author to write faster because a person just wants to get on with the story, and to tell the author that one is dying and that because of that, please hurry up! :shrug:

Edit: I do understand why some people would be upset by her response, but personally I don't think it's such a big deal.

Edit2: And I applaud an author who will want to improve their novel if they see any need for it. I think she has a backbone to do that. Some authors would settle for less... And that might show in their books, and that in turn shows in the sales. The reason Gabaldon's books are so popular and widely read is probably due to her perfectionism. I don't think her fans would be delighted if she succumbed and released an inferior novel just because they couldn't wait patiently!

Honestly, I think the whole thing is stupid.  That people get so passionately upset over a series of books is unnecessary, IMO.  It reflects the same state of mind that hangs on every word a  "Movie Star" says, or the soap operas on TV.  Some people really fasten onto that stuff, it's their life.  Sad, really.  I think what really gets my nanny is the callousness of her reply. 

Oh well. A tempest in a teapot. :)

Honestly, I think the whole thing is stupid.  That people get so passionately upset over a series of books is unnecessary, IMO.  It reflects the same state of mind that hangs on every word a  "Movie Star" says, or the soap operas on TV.  Some people really fasten onto that stuff, it's their life.  Sad, really.  I think what really gets my nanny is the callousness of her reply. 

Oh well. A tempest in a teapot. :)

Yes, I agree with that :) I mean, we need to have passions in our lives, and I can't say it's wrong to be so caught up in these things, we each have our different things, but in the end, it's only a book :)

I felt as though I, as a reader, was being manipulated.  Whether that is right or wrong, that was the feeling.  I didn't like it.  I suppose that is what it all boils down to.

On another topic.........did you see the link I put for the Poe book in an above post?   Sounds like good stuff!

Edited by pontalba

Kate

Thanks for the update on the new part 2 of Doc -- I started but never finished it last year  . not sure why, as it was really good. Just one of those days I guess ,but it'll be neat to have a part 2 . Maybe that will get my rear in gear to read Doc now.

Also , the Poe book sounds cool .. Waddya think about the one recently released called Mrs. Poe by Lynn Cullen ? Heard of it or read it ? He had quite an unusual life and his cause of death has been speculated on by different people ,so that should be an interesting story .

I'm looking forward to it too, Julie.  The way she ends Doc was just too cut and dried for me. 

I saw Mrs. Poe, but haven't investigated it too much.  I'm trying to reform....... :blush2:   Besides, I really liked the sound of the one that Russell is brewing. 

I thought this was interesting:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jan/06/nathan-filer-costa-award-first-novel

The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer wins the Costa Award. There was also a 11-publishing bid war over the book. It's now my next book to read. The story sounds very interesting, about a boy with schizophrenia. Especially since the author is a mental health nurse.

Edited by Angury

I got one of the Children's shortlisted books for Christmas - Alex, the Dog and the Unopenable Door by Ross Montgomery and thought it was brilliant.  Little bit gutted it didn't win the category despite the fact I haven't read of any of the others! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...