Strictly Come Dancing 2012

Raven

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so excited about Strictly! (I know, I always am :roll:)

Johnny Ball is my childhood hero - the man is a legend in our house. I absolutely adored him as a child, because I was fascinated by numbers and maths, and Think Of A Number was my favourite programme. I'm so delighted he's taking part, and hope he stays in for a few weeks at least. Will be lovely to see Zoe interview her Dad on It Takes Two although, they're both as sentimental as me, and I can foresee tears already!

An interesting mix of contestants this year and only 2 of them I've never heard of! I think Denise Van Outen is going to be good at dancing and having already seen Dann Harmer dance on 'Let's Dance for Sport Relief', I think this year will be a great competition.

Well I'll be brave and state that I'll be rootin' for Richard Arnold - one way or another he's sure to keep us entertained :D

Good Luck to Anton and Brendan my own favourites among the professionals, Mr. Smooth and Mr. Volcano.

Actually, I'd love Anton (and his partner of course) to win ... he's the oldest "pro" among the group, and has earned it.

Yes - the season is definitely "on the turn" for Winter, folks, the decent weekend telly is back with loads of music, glamour and sparkle.

Edited by Booknutt

Jerry Hall is partnered with Anton, not Brendan, Booknutt - Brendan will dance Victoria Pendleton, so he's a very lucky boy!

I actually love the partnerships, in fact, I'm finding it hard to find anyone I don't like. My heart says Johnny Ball is my favourite, and he's one of the reasons I'm so interested in numbers, which led me to set up a reference site for Strictly including statistics for celebs, professionals and dances, but I also would love to see some of the dancers who've never won the series to come through, as well as wanting to see the Olympians do well to add to the fantastic year they've had.

Strictly has taken over my weekend completely - I've only managed to read one chapter of a book today, I've spent so much time on my website and twitter, as well as watching the launch show again today, so I could actually enjoy it properly rather than trying to do website updates with the partnerships as soon as they were announced!

Thanks Chelsi - that great razzle-dazzle overexcited me :smile:

By the way ... isn't it great to have "our" Sir Bruce back again? It wouldn't be the same without him. May he be with "Strictly" for years to come, yet.

Hmm, we might have to agree to disagree there! I'm getting a teeny bit tired off his poor reading of the cue cards, not remembering who anyone is and getting things wrong (he called Erin an Aussie on Saturday - she's a Kiwi. Little thing perhaps, but she's been on the show since the very beginning, so no excuse really).

Having said that I'm not sure who could replace him. Bruce is taking a week off part way through the series this year, but they haven't said who will present in his place yet as far as I know, so we'll get a chance to see someone else take his place for at least a week anyway, although they may just do what they do for the results show now, and have Tess and Claudia host together.

I always think that but then they replace him every so often and it's worse .. poor Ronnie Corbett .. I love him but he was terrible.

I haven't caught the launch yet .. but everyone is buzzing about it :) Some people look like stand outs straight away (simply on paper :D) Denise, Louis, Kimberley, Victoria, Nicky etc but then much depends on personality when it comes to the public vote.

I see Erin is still being punished :D ... a breakfast TV presenter (it's always car crash) .. they haven't forgiven her for puppetgate yet. But then I haven't seen Richard .. I may be maligning him.

My vote for a new presenter (nobody would really "replace" Sir Bruce, it isn't possible!) would be Anton Du Beke.

He's already shown he's got the talent of quick repartee and adaptability through his work on other shows, and he certainly knows the business of dancing.

Also - he could still dance occasionally in the professional slots of the show - and let the gals take the strain with the presenting at those times. It'd be a shame to lose Anton completely, but in the cut-and-thrust of the professional dancing world - his days have to be numbered. Dancing has become an interesting option for loads of young blokes nowadays, and Anton is "senior" dancer (in experience and age) among the Strictly gang. But for this year again ... I'll keep enjoying his talents.

My vote for a new presenter (nobody would really "replace" Sir Bruce, it isn't possible!) would be Anton Du Beke.

He's already shown he's got the talent of quick repartee and adaptability through his work on other shows, and he certainly knows the business of dancing.

I think Anton Du Beke would be the obvious choice for replacement presenter, but I do find him a little smug sometimes and he could get annoying.

There's also the issue over whether the BBC felt it was appropriate to use Anton as a presenter on a live broadcast after the incident with Laila a few years ago where he made a very inappropriate comment. Plus, I think they'd want someone with more experience as this is one of their flagship, prime time Saturday evening shows - I don't think he's a big enough name for that.

• 3 weeks later...

I vote we forgive Anton for his gaff - he's not the first presenter to do so on telly, and won't be the last. :empathy:

Didn't my Richard (Arnold) do well on the weekend show? I was quite amazed, myself. :D Also Lisa Reilly really gave it her All, and Johnny Ball (the oldest novice there?) did well, too.

It's fascinating to see people who are familiar faces for other reasons show a different side to themselves - and do so well.

I wish them all luck.

Someone please tell Brassy Dussell to stop saying 'yeah' at the end of every sentence! :banghead:

It was irritating, wasn't it?! I thought there were slightly fewer on Saturday, so perhaps someone mentioned it to her after the Friday night show - I know it was widespread on twitter, and I think some newspaper reviews picked up on it as well.

Perhaps she was nervous bless her but it was annoying. Would Saturday's show have actually taken place on Saturday Claire .. was it live I mean? (I'm thinking of the Sunday results show that wasn't although Tess used to change her outfit in order to convince us). I guess it was (I think I remember someone tweeting before they went on so it must have been). Darcy must have seen the remarks then .. must be difficult to stop yourself from doing it ... yah? :D

Everyone did quite well didn't they? .. or most anyway. I was surprised by Lisa .. I don't know why. I guess I thought she'd be terrible and lacking in energy which she wasn't at all. I'm not sure she quite deserved to be top but that's a technicality .. she deserved to be near it and that's all that matters at this stage.

Who are your rooting for? I'm still not sure. I like the thought of Louis and Flavia and I thought he danced well but was lacking in emotion .. perhaps he'll learn to relax into it. They look amazing together.

Yes, Saturday's show was live on Saturday, so it may have been that she was trying hard not to do it so much then. To be fair, I did like her approach to the judging and attempting to give constructive criticism, and overall I thought the judging was pretty fair. I think the reason Lisa probably deserved to be top was the combination of good technique (although probably not the best) added to a lively performance which made for an entertaining routine.

I was most surprised by Sid - I thought Ola did a great job with him, and I was also quite surprised by Richard & Erin, but then Erin knows how to get a good waltz out of her celebs, no matter how unpromising they might look at first glance!

I don't know who to root for at the moment, as I don't have a stand out favourite among the celebrities, so I might have to look to my favourite dancers ... Flavia, Brendan, maybe Vincent? Still think Victoria could completely turn it around, particularly with a ballroom this week (although we don't know what it'll be yet), so maybe this could still be Brendan's year to be the first professional to with the glitterball for a second time?