UK - New Kindle's Ready for Pre-Order

Michelle

Yes, it does mean that, one book a month. With no due dates, you are basically getting a free book, although I would be surprised if they would let you keep the book forever - there must be a cut off date somewhere. On the surface at least, it looks great for readers, but not so good of course for the author. Amazon do have a royalty programme for authors whose books are enrolled in this programme, but you have to agree to sell your books exclusively through them, which most authors are understandably loathe (I personally wouldn't do this), hence the fact that not many authors have bothered to enrol. For £49 a year, as others have said, you might as well just buy the books anyway.

Edited by Talisman

Wow, that is expensive.

No, actually, it's a really good deal, depending on your needs. The library option is simply an add on. I've had Amazon Prime for a few years now - £49 pa covering all Amazon originated deliveries, for next day delivery. The library comes in as an extra.

If you only access one small part of the offer, then, yes it is expensive, but as a package, I think it's anything but.

No, actually, it's a really good deal, depending on your needs. The library option is simply an add on. I've had Amazon Prime for a few years now - £49 pa covering all Amazon originated deliveries, for next day delivery. The library comes in as an extra.

If you only access one small part of the offer, then, yes it is expensive, but as a package, I think it's anything but.

If a person uses everything that comes with prime, it is an excellent deal.

I have a Kindle Fire and love it..It is great to have almost instantaneous delivery. the biggest benefit for me is the ability to download books from the library at no cost. I have probably downloaded over 30 books from the library since Jan.1.

here is some news on the kindle, it appears like we will get a refund in the near future on kindle books that have been purchased for the kindle............from Amazon:

Dear Kindle Customer,

We have good news. You are entitled to a credit for some of your past e-book purchases as a result of legal settlements between several major e-book publishers and the Attorneys General of most U.S. states and territories, including yours. You do not need to do anything to receive this credit. We will contact you when the credit is applied to your Amazon.com account if the Court approves the settlements in February 2013.

Hachette, Harper Collins, and Simon & Schuster have settled an antitrust lawsuit about e-book prices. Under the proposed settlements, the publishers will provide funds for a credit that will be applied directly to your Amazon.com account. If the Court approves the settlements, the account credit will appear automatically and can be used to purchase Kindle books or print books. While we will not know the amount of your credit until the Court approves the settlements, the Attorneys General estimate that it will range from $0.30 to $1.32 for every eligible Kindle book that you purchased between April 2010 and May 2012. Alternatively, you may request a check in the amount of your credit by following the instructions included in the formal notice of the settlements, set forth below. You can learn more about the settlements here:

www.amazon.com/help/agencyebooksettlements

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a Paperwhite in Waterstone's today, and was tempted to ask for one for Christmas... My only concern is the reviews on Amazon that say there is uneven lighting/smudgy screens.. Think I will wait a while to see what the next band of reviews are like.. Yours for example! :)

My only concern is the reviews on Amazon that say there is uneven lighting/smudgy screens

Yes, I'd seen that, too. I'll keep waiting, as my existing Kindle's still working fine (touch wood!), and maybe they'll sort this issue out in future generations of the Paperwhite :shrug:

I've also seen the reviews, but I've had a good look at the ones in Waterstones, and the light looks fine. It's the one thing I feel is missing from my original one - I find it too dull if I don't have a bright light behind me. Also, I love the fact you can just tap the page to turn the page, rather than pressing the button the side. Simple things! lol

I'm after the Fire too. But mostly for reading as it's backlit, unlike the present Kindle where I need to have a small torch perched over it for reading in bed/low lighting etc. It doesn't have as many apps as say the iPad but then there are only so many you would want anyway in my opinion.

I had thought about the Paperwhite but feel there are too many mixed reviews.

Edited by SueK

Sue, my advice would honestly be to find a shop with a paperwhite and try it for yourself. :)

The Fire is basically an android app, so try http://play.google.com/ to see which apps are available. Alternatively, there's the Nexus 7, which is a similar android tablet - Amy has that with the kindle app, and it's really nice. :)

I thought I should come and update this thread, as I chose to cancel my order for the paperwhite. I suddenly realised that the 2 important aspects were the smaller size and the fact it was lit, and I also realised that for a little more I could have a tablet, with the kindle app. I therefore decided on the 7 inch Samsung Galaxy Tab, which I now love. :wub: The kindle app works well on it, and the brightness can be turned very low, so it suits me fine.

For those of you considering a Kindle Fire, I discovered during my research that you're limited to the Amazon app store, and can't use the full Play app store, which I think is a shame. (Plus, if anyone is comparing tablets, and is put off by the lower storage in the Galaxy, it has a slot for a Micro SD storage card. :))