What's up in September?

Maureen

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is back to normal for husband and myself after we spent Friday and Saturday night away. Midway through last week we decided to visit The Deep Aquarium in Hull on Friday morning, followed by a trip to the RSPB's Bempton Cliffs site. The weather was perfect, and we had a wonderful visit to both places.

On Saturday we headed off to the wonderful outdoor museum, The Beamish and spent about 4 hours there. Despite being pretty tired from all our walking we took a trip to the National Railway Museum site at Shildon, called Locomotion, It was interesting to see some of the trains there, including some very old royal trains and continental travel trains with all their ornate decor. Another overnight at the local motel and we got home mid morning yesterday. :D

The monsoons are about to end here, and the rain-gods have decided to give us one last heavy downpour, before they leave us for a year.

Our neighbourhood is filled with solemn caterpillars and yellow butterflies - a sure sign of the changing season.

I love this part of the year, and find myself smiling for no reason

:)

Chrissy, what a lovely last few days of vacation you've had! That aquarium looks amazing - I will most definitely have to visit it one day.

How sad that it's September already. The summer went by in record speed and even though autumn is my favorite season, it never seems to last long either and I dread which season comes next...

I'm off work today since it's Labor Day (a national holiday here in the US) so it's certainly nice to have the extra-long weekend. It's seen as more of a BBQ, final hurrah holiday since school officially starts here for many tomorrow.

I leave for So. Cal. one week from Wednesday already! Can't wait :D. I hope everyone has a great week ahead of them!

It has been a busy start to September for me, with lots of overtime at work. Not much else to report, except that Coran and I are looking forward to going to the Paralympics again this weekend.

Holidy weekend cookout and visit at my niece's house in Pennsylvania. The first photo shows the chicken cooking at the firepit on Saturday. The chicken just finished cooking and then....."The Rain Came Down". we moved everything to the covered porch at the house.

The second photo is Sunday evening when we had the fire blazing for a get-together around the fire for 8 of us. We spent the whole evening talking (and staring at the fire :)). And drinking a little wine. :)

Edited by muggle not

Holidy weekend cookout and visit at my niece's house in Pennsylvania. The first photo shows the chicken cooking at the firepit on Saturday. The chicken just finished cooking and then....."The Rain Came Down". we moved everything to the covered porch at the house.

The second photo is Sunday evening when we had the fire blazing for a get-together around the fire for 8 of us. We spent the whole evening talking (and staring at the fire :)). And drinking a little wine. :)

Looks lovely Muggles. By my calculation that's at least one chicken each! :D And a 'little' wine???? :giggle2:

That looks like a lovely piece of property, Muggle :). I've only been to PA once, and that was an overnight lay-over in Philly, but I loved it.

I received some sad news from my mom - she's a couple of states away at a reunion and her husband (my step-father) had a heart attack. He's 81 and had to have a breathing tube put in. They plan on taking it out this morning to see how he does so it's very touch and go right now. If he doesn't do well when they take it out, my mom said they don't plan on putting it back in :(. His daughters are there too and they are all on the same page. Please keep him and my mom in your thoughts everyone. Mom's supposed to call me later today with an update.

It is back to normal for husband and myself after we spent Friday and Saturday night away. Midway through last week we decided to visit The Deep Aquariumin Hull on Friday morning, followed by a trip to the RSPB's Bempton Cliffssite. The weather was perfect, and we had a wonderful visit to both places.

On Saturday we headed off to the wonderful outdoor museum, The Beamishand spent about 4 hours there. Despite being pretty tired from all our walking we took a trip to the National Railway Museum site at Shildon, called Locomotion, It was interesting to see some of the trains there, including some very old royal trains and continental travel trains with all their ornate decor. Another overnight at the local motel and we got home mid morning yesterday. :D

It all looks absolutely wonderful Chrissy. Thanks for the great links. :D

That looks like a lovely piece of property, Muggle :). I've only been to PA once, and that was an overnight lay-over in Philly, but I loved it.

I received some sad news from my mom - she's a couple of states away at a reunion and her husband (my step-father) had a heart attack. He's 81 and had to have a breathing tube put in. They plan on taking it out this morning to see how he does so it's very touch and go right now. If he doesn't do well when they take it out, my mom said they don't plan on putting it back in :(. His daughters are there too and they are all on the same page. Please keep him and my mom in your thoughts everyone. Mom's supposed to call me later today with an update.

I'm so sorry to hear about your step-father. Very frightening for all concerned. :console:

Sending thoughts and prayers.

Well, we are past the hurricane after effects, electricity is restored, Saturday actually. There was a scare about 20 miles to our east of a lock failing, but it seems to be almost past that danger. It wouldn't have affected us, but there were about 5,000 homes at risk. They were all evacuated Saturday.

We're having beautiful weather now, hot as a firecracker, but gorgeous. :D

Thank you all for your thoughts and kind words. You always come through!

They finally took the ventilator off this afternoon and mom called to say he was breathing on his own! He was foggy and his throat hurt, but otherwise he smiled and asked if he could come back to MN tomorrow :) Mom said the next 24 hrs are critical so he'll stay in the CCU until he's stable and able to move. They need to drive home from Michigan which will take quite a long time so they need to make sure he's well enough.

Thank you again, so much. We appreciate it and I'll keep you posted on how things progress.

Looks lovely Muggles. By my calculation that's at least one chicken each! :D And a 'little' wine???? :giggle2:

It is so much fun sitting around a fire and talking with everyone. Especially when you haven't seen them for a year. And, the wine helps to keep the talk going. :) I treated everyone to an early dinner at an Italian restaurant Sunday before we went to their home and started the firepit.

Did you notice the small christmas tree in the background with the lights. They had a dog that died a number of years back and they planted the tree over where they buried him. They turn on the lights when they have a gathering at the firepit. :)

What a gorgeous setting, Muggles. I especially love the flames at the bottom of the stairs. Are they like mini fire pits?

I'm glad to hear your step-father is doing better, Peacefield. *hugs*

What a gorgeous setting, Muggles. I especially love the flames at the bottom of the stairs. Are they like mini fire pits?

I'm glad to hear your step-father is doing better, Peacefield. *hugs*

Yes, they are a mini fire pit for 'looking at" & they burn propane and have a surface filled with lava rock. Of course the real fire pit that you see where we were cooking chicken are huge rock and is used for burning wood logs. It took a bulldozer to move the rock to get them in the initial position for the fire pit as they were so heavy.

It is back to normal for husband and myself after we spent Friday and Saturday night away. Midway through last week we decided to visit The Deep Aquariumin Hull on Friday morning, followed by a trip to the RSPB's Bempton Cliffssite. The weather was perfect, and we had a wonderful visit to both places.

On Saturday we headed off to the wonderful outdoor museum, The Beamishand spent about 4 hours there. Despite being pretty tired from all our walking we took a trip to the National Railway Museum site at Shildon, called Locomotion, It was interesting to see some of the trains there, including some very old royal trains and continental travel trains with all their ornate decor. Another overnight at the local motel and we got home mid morning yesterday. :D

What wonderful places to visit, Chrissy. They are EXACTLY the sort of places we love visiting when on holiday. Those cliffs are gorgeous and The Beamish looks like the setting for a Mumford and Sons song :D

The monsoons are about to end here, and the rain-gods have decided to give us one last heavy downpour, before they leave us for a year.

Our neighbourhood is filled with solemn caterpillars and yellow butterflies - a sure sign of the changing season.

I love this part of the year, and find myself smiling for no reason

:)

I love the description of 'solemn caterpillars'. Maybe they don't realise they will soon be beautiful butterflies, no longer earthbound and cumbersome. :)

They finally took the ventilator off this afternoon and mom called to say he was breathing on his own! He was foggy and his throat hurt, but otherwise he smiled and asked if he could come back to MN tomorrow :) Mom said the next 24 hrs are critical so he'll stay in the CCU until he's stable and able to move. They need to drive home from Michigan which will take quite a long time so they need to make sure he's well enough.

So glad the news about your stepfather is so much better Peacefield.

Did you notice the small christmas tree in the background with the lights. They had a dog that died a number of years back and they planted the tree over where they buried him. They turn on the lights when they have a gathering at the firepit. :)

No, didn't notice that on first looking, but see it now. What a lovely idea for a much loved pet.

Hot and tired after a stressful day at work - everything was going so well until about 11.45am when I was in the kitchen and I am not sure how it happened, but the Activities Organiser was there and somehow we bumped into each other and the tea trolley tipped over smashing the entire load of cups and saucers all over the floor ! From there it was steadily downhill - the carers were totally disorganised and lunch was late, which meant that I was late with the clearing up and only just managed to finish by 2pm. The carers were moaning about me putting the trolley with the trays for supper in their way, but I couldn't put it in the dining room where it was supposed to go as the residents were all still in there in their wheelchairs !

Then when I finally did finish and went upstairs for lunch, I put the TV on to watch the Paralympics and two carers came in and started an argument. I gave up and just switched it off and went outside to get some peace - I should have turned the volume up though ot make a point. I am bloody glad then to be home.