When do you read?

You lot seem to read so much! I've only read a handful of books this year, so what's the secret? Do you read superfast or do you spend every spare minute reading?

I tend to read in bed and not necessarily every night. Occasionally I will read in the evenings or (rarely) in the garden if its sunny and I have some free time.

How about you?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read when I have time, which unfortunately is not very often at the moment. :D

I read every afternoon in the car outside the school for half an hour, and then any more than that is a bonus!

In the summer I tend to read more as I will sit in the garden reading, however when I am indoors I find too many other things to distract me.

I never used to be like this, it's only been the past 6 months or so that I have been struggling to read... :D

I also grab 10 minutes in the bath, and another 10 before I fall asleep!

I often struggle to even have a bath quickly enough sometimes. Katie often wakes up as I go back to the bedroom.

I usually read when I am feeding bubbly, but it depends if she is being fussy or not. At the moment, as she is going to bed a bit earlier I am reading in the evenings between her and my bedtime. Next week that will change.

Nici, I also read outside the school. Although, that's not so easy now, as my 3 year old doesn't always nap, and wants my attention!

I won't be able to do my reading outside the school for much longer as come September Robbie will be walking to and from school (yay - no more school run!) and i will be increasing my work hours, so I will have to try and sqeeze in half an hour somewhere else in my day.....

I don't watch much TV, so reading is my main source of entertainment. I read during my tea breaks and lunch hour every day at work, and every night while I'm soaking in the bath for between 30 mins and an hour. I also occasionally read in bed for about half an hour before sleeping (I have a dandy little book light so I won't disturb Dale, who falls asleep within 5 minutes of his head hitting the pillow most nights). Occasionally, if Dale's watching something I'm not bothered about, i'll sit on the sofa next to him and read a book.

I also listen to audio books every day whilst walking to and from work (about 1/2 an hour each way) and when i'm walking about town at the weekends.

So that's how you get through so many books! Ok I dont feel so bad now. I was beginning to think I was the worlds slowest reader.

I've never been able to read in the bath. Don't the pages go all wiggly at the edges from the moisture?

ETA actually audio books sound like a good idea, I could listen to them in the car.

I've never been able to read in the bath. Don't the pages go all wiggly at the edges from the moisture?
Because of my passing out at inopportune moments, I'm not supposed to lock the bathroom door when I'm in there, in case I pass out in the bath and go under and drown, so I leave the door open too (well, there's only me and Dale there anyway), which means the room doesn't steam up at all, hence no rippled pages. :D

I don't tend to read so much on weekends, as that's when I get out and about and catch up with dull houseworky-type things, but that's where the audio books come in handy. I can't imagine not having books handy on my iPod now that I've started!

Also, I was on holiday for a week in April and I did pretty much nothing but read the entire time - that notched up quite a few books. I have a long weekend next week, so I'll probably do a lot of reading then too. I have 2 weeks in August, and we'll be going away to stay with friends for a week, so there'll be a train journey each way and reading at night in bed, then a week of reading in the sun when we get home too - LOADS of reading time.

Another week in November will get me through another 4 or 5 books straight (but this time curled up under a duvet!).

A lot of my reading seems to get done in bursts like that - LOL!

I just grab moments in which I can read - if I'm ready for work early I'll read for half an hour, I read during the day if I'm not too busy, early evening and on weekends in the morning.

Usually whenever I can find some spare time!

If the weather's good I'll read outside in the garden. If I'm on nightshift I'll take my book with me & if its quiet I'll be able to get loads read.

Occasionally in the evenings I'll curl up on the sofa with a book but I rarely read in bed these days.

I'm heading off on holiday tomorrow - have rented a cottage on a little island so loads of books are coming with me. I'm staying almost a fortnight so I'm hoping to get loads read. A totally relaxing break - just me, my dog, long walks & my books. :D

Like most people here in bed usually at night and when I wake up. Go into the small hours of the morning most times (actually gets easier to read as it gets later, I think), especially when I'm having bouts.

Also I can never put aside proper time with it like you can other things which annoys me. I have to go from chapter to chapter or I completely lose my thread, and I think you get a better idea of what the author is going for...maybe...

I do very little reading at home - I get easily distracted by what's on TV or I decide to watch a DVD. On weekends I usually have grand ambitions to read about 100 pages but end up going to work on Monday having read nothing :D I've been getting a bit better lately and turning off the telly so I can concentrate on reading.

Luckily I have a long commute to work so I read while waiting for the train, then while on the train (until I fall asleep), then while going up/down escalators and lifts. Then I read at morning tea and lunch (an hour and a half all up), although sometimes I bring my laptop to work and watch DVDs at my desk instead. I keep thinking I should get away from my desk and go for a nice walk, but then I think of all the reading time I'll miss out on and I give up on the idea :D

Ooooh reading in public? Could never do that, people would distract me far more than electrical appliances.

I'd be fine until some guy with a weird haircut comes along. ":readingtwo:, Oh wait no that's wrong, why??!? What is...just a bird nested and...what was this book about again? :doh:"

I read on the bus (I mentioned that before) but it is proving difficult, I was (trying) to read 'Lady Oracle' today on the bus and this man (who was drunk) kept shouting, so I read the same line about four times x

Before bed and when I get home from work - to relax - and probably fall asleep for a while. I was sick a while back and read and slept and read and slept. I don't read a lot - I'm guessing about two books a month - looking back at the purchase dates of books.