Books representing contemporary British culture

Hi everyone.

I have a work colleague from India who is looking for some contemporary British fiction. English is his second language (although pretty good) and being a bookish type I was asked for recommendations, however I've realised I don't really read a lot of contemporary British fiction. He's enjoyed stuff like Dan Brown and John Grisham (though he's not looking specifically for thrillers) but wanted something particularly British that would reflect British culture.

I suggested Harry Potter and a Casual Vacancy and he says he has read a couple of them and does intend to read her new book. The first thing that popped to mind was Irving Welsh (not that I've read any) but I did think the regional dialect might be a bit tricky.

I also suggested Minette Walters, and have just thought that maybe Nick Hornby would be a good choice. What about Sue Townsend? Is she still contemporary? I haven't read anything of hers since the first two Adrian Moles!

Any ideas? Help, I'm a bit out of touch!

The 44 Scotland Street series by Alexander McCall Smith follow the lives of the people who live in and around Edinburgh, and are just about the dramas of peoples real lives. Quite gentle reads, but reflect the ordinary people in the city.

Also, I recently read Ordinary Thunderstorms by William Boyd, which is sort of thriller set in London, so if he likes the Dan Brown and John Grisham books, this might suit him as well.

Hope that helps!

The 44 Scotland Street series by Alexander McCall Smith follow the lives of the people who live in and around Edinburgh, and are just about the dramas of peoples real lives. Quite gentle reads, but reflect the ordinary people in the city.

Definitely. I've only read the first one and it's so... pleasant. I will second this recommendation!

If crime is in the mix, be sure to mention Stuart MacBride. And if dark humour of the absurd in everyday life is something that appeals, Christopher Brokmyre is great. For satire, try Ben Elton. Fantasy? Try Tery Pratchett. Historical fiction? You can't go wrong with Simon Scarrow.

Hope some of those sugestions appeal - they're all faves of mine. :-)

ETA For sheer quintessential Britishness, try Stephen Fry and Giles Brandreth. Do not miss these guys out!!!

I quite like Mike Gayle's novels but he has strayed from his original "life from a blokes point of view" into the realms of chick-lit in recent books.

You could also try David Nicholls, but he has been a bit hit-and-miss for me.

Other authors that write contemporary fiction, off the top of my head, include Ian McEwan, Jonathan Cope and Martin Amis.