pontalba's 2007 books read list

pontalba

Well for now at least, and the foreseeable future I am finished with Irene Nemirovsky. Just finished her bio by Johathan Weiss, and while it is well written it doesn't have the "heart" I would expect of a bio of this woman. It is dry, although really without much paper on it's subject, it could not help but be so.

I found it to be more conjecture than fact as far as her personal feelings.

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished Pride and Prejudice, my first Austen. Most enjoyable. I actually was inspired to read Austen by Reading Lolita in Tehran and am very glad I have finally started to plug that particular hole in my reading.

My California cousin informed me she thought Austen was "overrated", not so in my opinion. Her writing is as fresh and pleasant to read now as it was in 1813. Her insights into human nature read well in the present day.

Just prior to that I finished The Wooden Sea by Jonathan Carroll, and a funnier tear-jerker you could not find. Quirky and decidedly masculine in flavor it was a pleasure to read and one of the aspects I really appreciated was the older [47 y.o.] having a chance to get to know and appreciate his younger [17 y.o.] self in a very different and interesting manner.

I'm so glad you liked Pride and Prejudice Pontalba! I read it last year (it was also my first Austen) and it's now one of my very favourite books. I found myself flicking forward to see what would happen next - something I very rarely do! I agree that her writing and insights translate well into the present day.

Pride and Prejudice was my first Austen too. I think she has some good characters and you are right, she does have some good insights into human nature, but I am not over keen on her writing.

I had a bit of trouble getting into the rhythm of her writing, but when I did I enjoyed the flow, what was it that you didn't care for?

• 1 month later...

Well I managed to round out the year with a new book and two old ones I had already, so that wasn't too bad. :friends0:

By Love Possessed was a book I'd had sitting on my shelf for almost a year and I am upset I put it off for so long, Cozzens writes some of the best interior monologues and back stories that I have ever read.

The Golden Notebook by Lessing was a new acquisition, and well worth the read, even though some parts were difficult and the narrator uncertain at times. Half the fun was unraveling the identities.

The World at Night was a war time spy/love story that moved rapidly but did not stint on action or plot line. I have several others of Furst's and look forward to reading them, hopefully this new year.

I recommend all of the above highly!