Rebus Returns

That's right fans of grumpy, Scottish detectives everywhere. Rankin has resurrected Rebus for his new novel, published next November.

After reading Rankin's books since Rebus retired, it was only a matter of time.

Not according to Ian Rankin. According to the BBC website he revealed his plans at Hay. He said that there was unfinished business for Rebus and that he would appear in the next novel.

My cynical mind suggests that Rankin's sales figures are down so including Rebus alongside his new creation will appeal to the fan base.

Still, another Rebus book will always be welcome; I wasn't keen on Doors Open although The Complaints was better.

• 10 months later...

I really enjoyed Standing in Another Man's Grave. I have been on a reading kick for the last 18 months and several new books have recently appeared for series I had already finished. This was the first one that lived up to my expectations. I prefer books that have signficant female characters and the Malcolm Fox books did not.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll pass. I gave Rankin many chances. But I have no use for characters with too many issues or excessively depressing settings that are supposed to be gritty. The story should be strong enough without too many side issues. But that's just me.

• 4 months later...