Summer Olympics

Katrina1968

Jumping in the thread with a bit of Romanian pride, Sandra Izbasa just received the gold medal at vault. So proud of her!!! :D

Well done Sandra :)

And this means you can keep using R and F!! I

I'm relieved. I don't often ROFL but it's nice to know I still can :D

I'd just turned over from the pommel horse final (Louis got silver, joint highest score but lower on execution so came second, and Max got bronze) to see Andy serve that ace to win. :exc:

I've been recording the tennis just in case I had to switch off :D Woohoo :exc:.. well done Louis and Max :)

Now over to the women's sprint final in the velodrome ... this channel hopping is exhausting!

It should be an Olympic sport actually .. I'm in training :D

Edited by poppyshake

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely .. and what's more .. don't make him angry :D

Yeah he is a scary legend when he is angry, that was my interview of the games so far wanted to see if his skin would go green :D

I am exhausted with all this channel hopping and Olympic action...

I don't think it is fair to be critical of the U.S. women for choosing to wear bikini bottoms in beach volleyball.

I wasn't singling out the US team (sorry if it sounded that way). I was singling out the sport.

We will have to agree to disagree. Muggle, if you had ever been a woman who has been subjected to crude and sexist taunts from men your entire life (for simply being a woman, walking down a street conservatively dressed - among other personal experiences with men objectifying women), you might understand why I get riled about this. :):friends3:

Go Usain Bolt! :D

Oh he flew :boogie: ... not perhaps so good coming out of the blocks but it never seems to matter does it? Wish Justin Gatlin hadn't got Bronze (wish he wasn't allowed to compete actually .. and the same goes for Dwain Chambers) but you can't have everything.

Usain is such a character ... you've got to love him :)

post-5612-0-46425100-1344201285_thumb.jpg

Edited by poppyshake

well thankfully i got to watch the stupendous Bolt do it again, but now I hve no tv service, what a pain, its all gone blank and i am on the phone to the company.

Goodness!! .. he's blown your telly up Pickle :o

Oh he flew :boogie: ... not perhaps so good coming out of the blocks but it never seems to matter does it? Wish Justin Gatlin hadn't got Bronze (wish he wasn't allowed to compete actually .. and the same goes for Dwain Chambers) but you can't have everything.

I guess I missed something there. Did Gatlin and Chambers do something naughty?

I guess I missed something there. Did Gatlin and Chambers do something naughty?

Drug cheats.... Gaitlin originally got a lifetime ban, reduced to 8 years, then reduced to 4 years as he "helped" the authorities with information... :(

For balance, David Millar, the British cyclist should be included. He failed a test for EPO and that was the reason he was not asked to join team Sky in the Tour de France.

I didn't know about him but I did put the balance in with Chambers (who's British) .. thankfully he didn't make the final but he shouldn't have got anywhere near it imo.

Gatlin is in another league though ... tested positive at least twice and has served bans but here he is still, plus his former coach Trevor Graham (involved in the BALCO scandal) and current coach Dennis Mitchell are also drugs cheats. They talk about athletes serving their time and everything but I was thinking about Marion Jones and the Sydney Olympics and I thought well yes she was stripped of her records and medals but they weren't able to give me back all the time I wasted listening to commentators practically wetting themselves over her and saying what a superwoman she was .. I bet I could be a superwoman if you stuck that many steroids in me .. I'm pretty lethal after a Red Bull and two aspirins tbh :D

Oh dear. It's such a shame that they resort to drugs. It makes you wonder why they do it given all the drug tests around, but they must think they have a reasonable chance of getting away with it (which makes you wonder how many others might be doing it and getting away with it!)

One thing that makes me sad about the likes of Marion Jones and Alberto Contador (2010 Tour de France) is that they get to have their moment of gold-winning glory on the dais, they have their national anthems played and receive all the attention and good things that happen as a result, but the silver-medal winner can never go back and enjoy their moment as the rightful winners of gold. And the person who came fourth never got to stand on the dais.

I also don't know how they can sleep at night after all the praise lavished on them, knowing that they have cheated to get there!

Am I the only one who gets fed up with the athletes posing in front of - and mouthing off to - the cameras when they're lining up at the start? :banghead:

Thought Christine did really well in the 400m last night, and a great result for our men's hockey team, coming back from 3-0 down to draw against the Aussies :smile:

They seem to be getting through the events so fast I'm starting to wonder what's left for this week :giggle2:

Am I the only one who gets fed up with the athletes posing in front of - and mouthing off to - the cameras when they're lining up at the start? :banghead:

A little yes .. it depends on what they're doing but generally I hate all that swagger before a race ... if they do well then I'll put up with it afterwards (just don't push it :D). I loved the shot of Usain doing his famous lightning pose with the giant Olympic mascot (the real, walking and presumably talking one). I can put up with a lot from him because he does it all with humour.

Thought Christine did really well in the 400m last night, and a great result for our men's hockey team, coming back from 3-0 down to draw against the Aussies :smile:

Christine did well but she seemed disappointed .. that lane draw was a hinderance, still .. another silver :) and woohoo for the men's hockey team :)

They seem to be getting through the events so fast I'm starting to wonder what's left for this week :giggle2:

It's only Monday but I get the sense of things winding down .. I'm panicking at the thought of next week :( Still Steve, I've heard the British Bake-Off is back so no worries :D

post-5612-0-33064600-1344247040_thumb.jpg

Oh dear. It's such a shame that they resort to drugs. It makes you wonder why they do it given all the drug tests around, but they must think they have a reasonable chance of getting away with it (which makes you wonder how many others might be doing it and getting away with it!)

One thing that makes me sad about the likes of Marion Jones and Alberto Contador (2010 Tour de France) is that they get to have their moment of gold-winning glory on the dais, they have their national anthems played and receive all the attention and good things that happen as a result, but the silver-medal winner can never go back and enjoy their moment as the rightful winners of gold. And the person who came fourth never got to stand on the dais.

I also don't know how they can sleep at night after all the praise lavished on them, knowing that they have cheated to get there!

I have no use for Marion Jones. Her whole life has been a big lie. btw, she spent 6 months in jail for a crime she did.

I am a fan of women's basketball and was in attendance of several games when Marion Jones played against the UVA (University of Virginia) team several times. Even then she was arrogant and of poor moral character.

So pleased for Beth right now :D

Yes well done to Beth .. she's done so much for UK gymnastics :)

I've bought some stamps today :D .. couldn't resist it. Couldn't afford many so had to choose (not all available either .. selling out quick apparently) Went with some Mo's and Jessica's :D

post-5612-0-13230400-1344268002_thumb.jpg

It was brilliant wasn't it, she is such a nice person.....

watching the cycling its so nail biting but go Queen Vic!!!! Just watched the Chinese make a massive tactical mistake in her first race

Fantastic result for the show jumping team - didn't see it but have been informed they had a jump off against the Netherlands and won, so another gold to add to the TeamGB tally! :clapping:

Recorded the gymnastics to watch when I got home, and delighted to see Beth win a bronze, but so disappointed for her that she didn't nail that landing. I'm sure she'll be delighted with her bronze though.

I can't believe that after all these years Nick Skelton is still winning and competing - I remember watching him at Olympia over 30 years ago !

Several more finals tonight, which I shall be tuning in to after EastEnders :smile:

Apparently ! Another great win today for the 2 Brownlee brothers in the triathlon, much of which I was able to watch while cleaning various residents rooms. I love my job (sometimes) !