Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 18

Janet

Completed Sounder last night - and couldn't sleep for a long time.

The wretched beauty of it is still haunting me.

Have picked up Sebastian Faulks' Birdsong to read next - but I'm still with Sounder, and haven't yet started on it.

Edited by bree

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of lovely days weather-wise has equated to fantastic reading days in the sunshine. I'm now eight hundred or so pages through The Count of Monte Cristo and I expect to finish it in two to three days as I simply can't put it down.

You're making me want to read it!

I've read the children's abridged version plenty of times while growing up, and loved it - but haven't read the complete version - and now I'm tempted.

Completed Sounder last night - and couldn't sleep for a long time.

The wretched beauty of it is still haunting me.

I read this years ago and although I don't remember much about it now, I can remember loving it. There was a movie made about it too, which was very good.

I'm about half-way through The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time and it's an absolute delight. Christopher is such a lovable character and the way his Asperger's is depicted rings very true. I keep catching myself grinning at the way he puts things.

Edited by poppy

You're making me want to read it!

I've read the children's abridged version plenty of times while growing up, and loved it - but haven't read the complete version - and now I'm tempted.

Ah you should, it's worth every last word. ;)

I read this years ago and although I don't remember much about it now, I can remember loving it. There was a movie made about it too, which was very good.

I'm about half-way through The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time and it's an absolute delight. Christopher is such a lovable character and the way his Asperger's is depicted rings very true. I keep catching myself grinning at the way he puts things.

Didn't know about the Sounder movie - will try and find it.

And I meant to ask you about The ... Dog. I read it a few years ago and not knowing anything about Asperger's, remember being startled - and delighted - at Christopher's expressions.

poppy, I wish you'd consider keeping a little log of the books you read - would love to peek into your thoughts of them.

Thanks for the thumbs up Chalie....I haven't read any of hers yet, but def sounds like my kind of read. Tempting to start it but that would then mean I would have four books on the go....lol.

Oh go on, one more wont hurt! :)

Suffering a small amount of mojo loss, equally due to getting an iPad for my birthday and struggling to get into 'Delirium' by Lauren Oliver, it's slowly getting moving now I'm halfway into it so hopefully I'll be moving along a little quicker now! :)

I'm nearly there, just another one hundred and fifty pages of The Count of Monte Cristo which has been a truly epic read.

Suffering a small amount of mojo loss, equally due to getting an iPad for my birthday and struggling to get into 'Delirium' by Lauren Oliver, it's slowly getting moving now I'm halfway into it so hopefully I'll be moving along a little quicker now! :)

I love my iPad to bits, but it is definitely a mojo killer. :( All my spare time goes to my iPad these days. I need to be more disciplined.

I really want to read that trilogy, but it will have to wait awhile. I went on a series bender and after I am done with them I want to go a different route.

I'm a total sook when it comes to books. A book is more likely to make me cry than not.

I finished The Hippopotamus last night, and started reading Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane, which seems good so far. It's a library loan so should finish it today or tomorrow at the latest.

I'm nearly there, just another one hundred and fifty pages of The Count of Monte Cristo which has been a truly epic read.

I'm very much looking forward to reading this one, after reading your thoughts on it :)

Whenever I hear of this book, it always makes me think of the film Sleepers - it was the book that helped one of the boys get through his incarceration.

I love my iPad to bits, but it is definitely a mojo killer. :( All my spare time goes to my iPad these days. I need to be more disciplined.

It is isn't it, in fact I'm on it now!!! Right I'm off.......... :giggle2:

Whenever I hear of this book, it always makes me think of the film Sleepers - it was the book that helped one of the boys get through his incarceration.

And I always think of the scene in The Shawshank Redemption where the men are sitting around cataloguing books for their new library. One of them comes across the book and sounds out the author's name as 'Alexander Dumb Ass', which cracks the others up. :D

It is isn't it, in fact I'm on it now!!! Right I'm off.......... :giggle2:

:D I have to go and do some work now, but not before I check in on my time-wasting games on the iPad. ;)

Today I took delivery (after wrestling it off a thief) of Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus. I can't wait to read this. :)

This wonderful sunshine coupled with me having 2 weeks off is doing wonders for my reading!

Going along nicely with All Hell Let Loose and now starting A Pale View of Hills by Kazuo Ishiguro.

That's wonderful Ben, I have it on the shelf, in fact two different editions, yet to get to it.

I must, I must, I must!

I finished The Hippopotamus last night, and started reading Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane, which seems good so far. It's a library loan so should finish it today or tomorrow at the latest.

I read Shutter Island, a while back, about the time the film came out. We went to see the film one night, and I had to stop at the bookstore on the way home to read it asap. :D I did enjoy it, I must say. Both the film and book. DiCaprio truly captured the character. It constantly surprises me how he is able to capture a character.

Some years ago I saw the film where he portrays Howard Hughes, and boy, oh boy, he had Hughes down pat! As well as J. Edgar. But I'm getting off topic now....sorry. :)