Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 18

Janet

almost halfway through The Boy in the Suitcase...started last night and found it very hard to put down!

I read it a while back, and really enjoyed it. Part of a series I believe. I must look for more. :)

I've put the bio of Patricia Highsmith to the side for the moment, a little more than half way through, and am now reading Wool Omnibus Edition by Hugh Howey. I'd never heard of him, and now I can't remember where I saw mention of this, but it was only 5.99 USD on Amazon for the kindle edition, and it's a dystopian/post-apolyptic sort of novel. Gets more and more interesting, I'm about 90% done. Really enjoyable.

Edited by pontalba

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....and am now reading Wool Omnibus Edition by Hugh Howey. I'd never heard of him, and now I can't remember where I saw mention of this....

Looked at this on Amazon and added it to my wishlist as it sounds interesting. I also bought Argelton by Suw Charman-Anderson, as it appeared in the 'Customers Also Bought....' and seems very intriguing.

I'm about 150 pages into my re-read of The Book Thief, and thoroughly enjoying it.

Was it really? Let me know if you find more...?

It seems it is the first of a new series. Drat, I love to pick up a series when it's at least 4 or 5 into it. :) Here is a link to both a review of The Boy in the Suitcase, and detailing it being the first in series.

Anyone that has not read this book yet, don't delve too deeply into the review, spoilers abound.

Looked at this on Amazon and added it to my wishlist as it sounds interesting. I also bought Argelton by Suw Charman-Anderson, as it appeared in the 'Customers Also Bought....' and seems very intriguing.

Argleton looks fun as well, thanks! :D

I completed What Katy Did : 3 stars from me.

Have just picked up Sounder by William H Armstrong.

It's a 1970 Newbery award winner - and I'm hoping to enjoy this children' classic.

I just checked it out and I think I may have to add it to my list. I keep seeing you mentioning it lately and it's caught my attention. :D

It's a pretty great book, I'm thinking 5/5 if nothing drastic happens to change my opinion of it :)

I finished a book today for the first time in ages: Virginia Holman's Rescuing Patty Hearst. Unfortunately my TBR won't decrease though, because I also received PG Wodehouse's Pigs Have Wings in the mail. I'm planning a bit of a book spree tomorrow as well.

How was Patty?! :)

For other book activity, I'm planning to try and get my various book lists up to date tonight, because I'm woefully behind. I also need to catalogue many of my newer books online and shelve them all.

Happy times :D

I bought Quantum Leap: The Beginning at a secondhand bookshop yesterday :) Haven't done any reading today, I've been too tired :(

Finished Wizard and Glass. Best book in the Dark Tower series so far. I'm really enjoying these books a lot.

Started A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin. I'm always slow to switch gears from one book to another, so I probably won't get into it too much until tomorrow.

How was Patty?! :)

Hmm, 'twas OK. Maybe not as great as I was expecting (I did, after all, think it was about Patty Hearst!) It was interesting but I felt it could have been fleshed out a lot more. I think this might be worthy of an actual review in my thread, if I ever get around to it!

I started Adventures In A TV Nation, by Michael Moore last night, and so far it looks really good. :)

I've also been deliberating over whether or not to get Game of Thrones, and see if I enjoy it. People were talking about it yesterday, and assured me that although it wasn't my normal 'thing', I would probably love it. Hmm...

I've also been deliberating over whether or not to get Game of Thrones, and see if I enjoy it. People were talking about it yesterday, and assured me that although it wasn't my normal 'thing', I would probably love it. Hmm...

It's a terrific book. Not that I want to put you off it, but the author is far from finishing the series, so if you did read it and liked it, and then read the others in the series that have been published to date, you will be in for a very long wait ( I.e. years) for the conclusion, so be prepared! :smile:

Hmm, 'twas OK. Maybe not as great as I was expecting (I did, after all, think it was about Patty Hearst!) It was interesting but I felt it could have been fleshed out a lot more. I think this might be worthy of an actual review in my thread, if I ever get around to it!

Yeah, what a bummer it wasn't about her. But I'm going to of course read it anyways, someday, and now that I know it's not about her I can adjust my expectations accordingly. Sorry you had to be the one to find out :(:empathy: I'll be waiting for the review when you have the time :)

I did a bit of re-reading of some of the latest pages of The Hippopotamus that I've already read. There was something I didn't remember and I had to be reminded of what had happened. I have no idea where it's going now. Exciting!

I've been reading 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep', and with a bout 30 pages I absolutely love it. It took me a few chapters to really get into it, but now I'm getting to the stage where I wish that this book was a lot longer than it actually is. I don't want it to end.

I started Adventures In A TV Nation, by Michael Moore last night, and so far it looks really good. :)

I just looked this one up, and it looks like it could be an interesting read. Might have to do some more research on it. Looking forward to your review on it.

I've been reading 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep', and with a bout 30 pages I absolutely love it. It took me a few chapters to really get into it, but now I'm getting to the stage where I wish that this book was a lot longer than it actually is. I don't want it to end.

That's good to hear, as I have this one on my to-be-read list :)

I just looked this one up, and it looks like it could be an interesting read. Might have to do some more research on it. Looking forward to your review on it.

Read a bit more at lunchtime, and it is very interesting and amusing so far. I like Michael Moore, although I think in recent years he has started to believe his own hype. He does bring matters to people's attention though, and is determined to raise awareness of injustice. I recommend Stupid White Men, by Moore, as well - interesting book :)

I finished two books last night!

In book form I finished Twilight by Stephanie Mayer and started The Difference a Day Makes by Carole Matthews.

On my kindle I finished Ellie Foster's English Coursework by Tina Oor Munro and have started Shades of Grey by Michael Cargill

Today I've downloaded two freebies, A Lady of Letters by Richard Allberry and Black Ops: Olympics by Matt Lynn.

Finished Wizard and Glass. Best book in the Dark Tower series so far. I'm really enjoying these books a lot.

I agree - it's by far my favorite. Some people don't like it because it doesn't move the series forward really, but I loved the story of Roland and Susan.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, it was my first Diane Chamberlain and I was very impressed, I've just finished The Good Father and very much enjoyed that too, she's definitely on my author radar now!! :)

Thanks for the thumbs up Chalie....I haven't read any of hers yet, but def sounds like my kind of read. Tempting to start it but that would then mean I would have four books on the go....lol.

A couple of lovely days weather-wise has equated to fantastic reading days in the sunshine. I'm now eight hundred or so pages through The Count of Monte Cristo and I expect to finish it in two to three days as I simply can't put it down.

I agree - it's by far my favorite. Some people don't like it because it doesn't move the series forward really, but I loved the story of Roland and Susan.

Yeah, I loved their story and I loved how Roland changed by telling it.

Edited by gidgmon