Steve's Bookshelf 2012

Karsa Orlong

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: Or maybe I could pass it on to frankie :giggle2:

You what?! :o

:D But you have three copies of A Game of Thrones, too, and you seem quite happy with them. Oh!! Do you know what I just realised you could totally do. Put your 'best' editions in the display case :haha:

Edit: Haven't read the book and am intimidated by it (:giggle2:) but I have to admit, it's a beautiful cover!

You what?! :o

It'd be the gift that keeps on giving :lol:

:D But you have three copies of A Game of Thrones, too, and you seem quite happy with them.

And two copies of A Dance with Dragons (thanks to TBD ineptitude :rolleyes: ). Hey, you could have that, too :lol:

Oh!! Do you know what I just realised you could totally do. Put your 'best' editions in the display case :haha:

That's a good idea! Don't know what I'd do with Han and Darth, though :giggle2:

Edit: Haven't read the book and am intimidated by it ( :giggle2:) but I have to admit, it's a beautiful cover!

Well, when you consider that the first edition I had 30-odd years ago had this cover:

Dune2.jpg

and the edition I got a couple of years back when I re-read it has this cover:

Dune3.jpg

I think the new version is a work of genius :lol:

Dune's not a book to be intimidated by. It's not heavy on the science or anything, it's more about race, religion, revolution, that kind of thing. :smile:

It'd be the gift that keeps on giving :lol:

And in what respect, I might ask :D

And two copies of A Dance with Dragons (thanks to TBD ineptitude ). Hey, you could have that, too

:o What, and let sci-fi/fantasy take over my bookshelves?

That's a good idea! Don't know what I'd do with Han and Darth, though

I know a place where you could put them! ;)

Well, when you consider that the first edition I had 30-odd years ago had this cover:

and the edition I got a couple of years back when I re-read it has this cover:

Hm. I actually like both of those covers too. What's wrong with them?

Oh wow. Was that just me being more open to scifi/fantasy, than you??

Dune's not a book to be intimidated by. It's not heavy on the science or anything, it's more about race, religion, revolution, that kind of thing.

I wish ex had told me that, I could've avoided being all intimidated, for so long :)

And in what respect, I might ask :D

Just think of all the re-reads! :giggle2:

:o What, and let sci-fi/fantasy take over my bookshelves?

Get a display case made :lol:

I know a place where you could put them! ;)

Kate Beckinsale told me that as well :o I wonder if she's that rude to all her stalkers <<ponders>>

Hm. I actually like both of those covers too. What's wrong with them?

Oh wow. Was that just me being more open to scifi/fantasy, than you??

Nah, I think you're just being more open to bad cover art :giggle2:

I wish ex had told me that, I could've avoided being all intimidated, for so long :)

Why, what did he tell you about it?

Get a display case made :lol:

Nah, I think you're just being more open to bad cover art :giggle2:

Yes... I suppose I could get a display case and enjoy the bad cover art! That's the only way to enjoy those kinds of novels ;)

:giggle:

Kate Beckinsale told me that as well :o I wonder if she's that rude to all her stalkers <<ponders>>

How does she know about the attic, if she hasn't been stalking you in return!! I think you might have a fan ;)

Why, what did he tell you about it?

Not much at all. Which is why I'm petrified!

:D

That's the only way to enjoy those kinds of novels

:giggle:

:lol:

I'll bring it with me next year. Then I can throw it at you. It's a hardback. A very big hardback :giggle2:

How does she know about the attic, if she hasn't been stalking you in return!! I think you might have a fan ;)

:o If only :lol:

Not much at all. Which is why I'm petrified!

Silly billy :lol:

Here's a review of it from SFReviews.net, edited for spoilers:

Literary landmark and pop culture icon, Frank Herbert's epoch-making Dune has for so long held the crown as the Most Important SF Novel Evar that to crank out yet another review simply to recapitulate the point seems superfluous, to put it mildly. Thus it falls upon me to draw everyone's attention back to an aspect of the book that often gets lost when any artistic work has spent decades groaning under the burden of its stature: that as a story, Dune positively rocks the casbah.

Dune landed right at the time that science fiction and the world at large were on the cusp of radical change. The second half of the 60's would bring about colossal social upheaval and a decisive reshuffling of old orders. Among the issues engaging public consciousness were environmentalism and the wisdom, or lack thereof, of exploiting Earth's natural resources with no thought to long term consequences. When these concerns peaked for the first time in the eary 70's with the first major "energy crisis," Frank Herbert, whose story here is fundamentally all about such short-sighted exploitation, found himself something of a guru among the young, politically motivated, and eco-aware. He became a popular speaker at Earth Day events, and the continued high sales of Dune and its first sequel Dune Messiah would carry over to 1976's Children of Dune, which would become the first SF novel ever to hit #1 on the New York Times hardcover bestseller list.

But social and political relevance aside, what has made the original novel such an enduring classic? To cut through the noise, I think it simply has to do with being a tremendous story that, like the contemporaneously released The Lord of the Rings, presented readers with a narrative on a grand scale, set in a comprehensively realized imaginary world that offered not only escape, but easily understood parallels to concerns we face in our own lives.

By now the story should be familiar to so many readers that a synopsis ought to be unnecessary, but for the two of you still uninitiated, here goes: When the noble house of the Atreides is given governance of the remote desert planet Arrakis, its patriarch, Duke Leto Atreides, knows all too well that he is walking into a trap set by their worst rivals (and distant blood relations), the Harkonnens, who are themselves patsies of the emperor.

[ ... spoilers removed ... ]

You'd have to be a blind fool to deny that Herbert's worldbuilding here has influenced essentially every epic-scale SF and fantasy series to follow. Herbert created what was, in 1965, the most complex backdrop of politics, economics, religion, science, philosophy, and culture to inform an SF novel to date. With a rich cast of supporting characters and imaginative fauna, like the legendary sandworms, helping to realize his creation, Herbert wrote a quintessential adventure saga that was, and still is, as thought-provoking as it is purely enjoyable. For first time readers, diving into Dune takes a bit of acclimating, regardless of any previous exposure to the universe through (ugh) its movie or game adaptations. The book has a style accessible yet literary that respects the reader's intelligence, something the publishing world of 1965 didn't quite expect from SF. (Dune was rejected by major publishers, whose editors complained they couldn't understand it, and it ended up published by Chilton, known for their automotive manuals!) A number of storytelling devices, like hearing the characters' internal monologues, aren't really in vogue anymore.

But such stylistic indulgences do not diminish the value of the story, both as glorious entertainment, and as the novel that took science fiction at a turning point in its history and transformed it forever.

Full review, with spoilers, here: http://www.sfreviews...rbert_dune.html

I'll bring it with me next year. Then I can throw it at you. It's a hardback. A very big hardback :giggle2:

Oi!! :o And you call yourself the one person in London who has manners!

Thanks for the review. I suppose I have no choice but to read it sometimes. But the reviewer will be happy that I haven't seen the movie and know nothing about it beforehand.

Funny thing, that it was first published by an automotive manual publishing company :D:rolleyes: It reminds me of Jasper Fforde and how he had to send his novel the so many different publishers before he finally succeeded in getting published. And now look where he's at. And it's so sad about John Kennedy Toole :(

Most wouldn't give you advance notice...

That's what Steve's been telling us. It sounds like a pretty scary place, from all the things I've heard. I'm glad I'll have The Defender of Books with me when I visit. She can kick some serious butt!

Oi!! :o And you call yourself the one person in London who has manners!

Yeah, but I didn't say whether they were good or bad manners :lol:

Thanks for the review. I suppose I have no choice but to read it sometimes. But the reviewer will be happy that I haven't seen the movie and know nothing about it beforehand.

Whatever you do, don't watch the film, at least until after you've read the book. I almost hated the movie: it spends two hours on the first half of the novel and then rushes through the rest of it in ten minutes. Awful. Same goes for the tv mini series :banghead:

Most wouldn't give you advance notice...

Schoolboy error on my part :doh::giggle2:

That's what Steve's been telling us. It sounds like a pretty scary place, from all the things I've heard. I'm glad I'll have The Defender of Books with me when I visit. She can kick some serious butt!

But can she run as fast me? :out:

Yeah, but I didn't say whether they were good or bad manners :lol:

Yeah you did! As an example you mentioned you open the door for ladies. Haha! You are so busted.

Whatever you do, don't watch the film, at least until after you've read the book. I almost hated the movie: it spends two hours on the first half of the novel and then rushes through the rest of it in ten minutes. Awful. Same goes for the tv mini series :banghead:

Oh I don't think you need to worry about that :giggle:

Most likely yes, and faster! Also, I will teach her jaunting. That'll teach you!

Yeah you did! As an example you mentioned you open the door for ladies. Haha! You are so busted.

Yeah, but I'm learning from others, so now I hold the door open, wait until they get halfway through it, then let it shut in their faces. That'll learn 'em :angry::giggle2:

Most likely yes, and faster! Also, I will teach her jaunting. That'll teach you!

I think I would be strangely impressed if that happened :lol:

Don't listen to them. It's not at all scary. I spent about 10 days there alone and didn't meet a single rude person. Everyone was very friendly and I even saw people standing up for others on the Tube. When I couldn't operate the fancy taps at a Maccas restaurant, a very sophisticated-looking chick helped me without me asking (I was trying to be invisible because I felt so stupid for not being able to operate a tap). I had also heard beforehand that everyone would be rude and no one spoke to each other on the Tube, blah blah blah. So I think Londoners may be liars, but they're not rude. ;)

Oh, wait, I had one scary encounter with a very suspicious-looking character who approached me in the street and offered me a lift in his taxi (I had my luggage with me and was looking very touristy at the time). His taxi didn't so much resemble a taxi as a plain-looking van, and there was a guy standing near the van staring at us ('twas early in the morning and there were few people around). I used my little noggin and got the hell away from him. :) Don't worry - I came out alive and I'll make sure you do too!

ETA: And the scary dude who I think wanted to abduct me and do god-knows-what was also very nice. :)

If you try to steal a book from me or try to pick on me or Frankie, I'll run like the wind (after you, not away from you). :P

Yeah, but I'm learning from others, so now I hold the door open, wait until they get halfway through it, then let it shut in their faces. That'll learn 'em :angry::giggle2:

Why would you want to learn rude manners? Quit it!

I think I would be strangely impressed if that happened :lol:

Oh I bet ;)

Don't listen to them.

After taking your stories into consideration and realizing that every Brit here on the forum has been polite, nice and pleasurable, not to mention a blast, I'm thinking Steve is actually getting it twisted and he is the only inpolite Brit. He almost had me fooled! :o

If you try to steal a book from me or try to pick on me or Frankie, I'll run like the wind (after you, not away from you). :P

Thank you kindly, Kylie :flowers2: I knew I could trust you!

I'm thinking Steve is actually getting it twisted and he is the only inpolite Brit. He almost had me fooled! :o

It wasn't difficult :P:giggle2:;)

Steve, if/when I meet you, I'm going to be very disappointed if you're not wearing green face paint and have a crazed look on your face. :(

Nah, this is what I really look like:

Malazanav.jpg

I recently gave a friend a copy of Replay for his birthday. He finished it last night and said it's usurped LotR to become his favourite book. It prompted me to dig out my copy again, and I noticed that the author, Ken Grimwood, died aged 59, of a heart attack, whilst writing the sequel. I wonder if he's replaying his own life like Jeff Winston did in the book.

Book # 37: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

KavalierClay.jpg

Synopsis:

Samuel Klayman--self-described little man, city boy and Jew--first meets Josef Kavalier when his mother shoves him aside in his own bed, telling him to make room for their cousin, a refugee from Nazi-occupied Prague. It's the beginning, however unlikely, of a beautiful friendship. In short order, Sam's talent for pulp plotting meets Joe's faultless, academy-trained line, and a comic-book superhero is born. A sort of lantern-jawed equaliser clad in dark blue long underwear, the Escapist "roams the globe, performing amazing feats and coming to the aid of those who languish in tyranny's chains". Before they know it, Kavalier and Clay (as Sam Klayman has come to be known) find themselves at the epicentre of comics' golden age.

Thoughts:

For a long while, as I was reading this book, I was thinking to myself "oh gawd, I'm going to have to revise all of my other scores downwards" :lol: I found the first two thirds of the novel spellbindingly, astonishingly brilliant. It's the sort of book that makes me look at my own attempts to write stories and think I might as well give up. It's written with such verve and style that it took a hold and wouldn't let go, and it's the sort of book where I found myself annoyed when I had to stop reading, and then thinking about it when I wasn't reading it.

The main reason for all this is the characters. Starting with Josef Kavalier's tense escape from Nazi-occupied Europe (the culmination of his studies in magic and escapism, no less). Leaving his immediate family behind, he comes to reside with his aunt, Ethel Klayman, in New York, where he meets his cousin Sam. Sam is something of an artist, and has a job creating ads for a company that sells novelties. When Sam discovers that Joe has studied art, and sees the quality of his work, he begins to form the idea for a comic book, and his bosses - seeing the success of Superman - see the dollar signs.

I couldn't really believe how thrilling this stage of the novel was. Chabon writes the creative process that the two, and a select group of friends, go through in a fashion that is more exciting than most action sequences in supposed thrillers. The tales that Joe and Sam create come vividly to life in your imagination, from the genesis stories of their characters - which are told quite superbly as stories within the story - to the descriptions of the cover art and the composition of the panels on the pages of the comic books. It really is some of the most confident and imaginative writing I've yet come across. It made me wish that I could actually read the adventures of The Escapist and Luna Moth for myself.

Chabon keeps this going for a long time, and sustains the pace really well. I was swept along, and happy to believe that Sam and Joe would achieve such success so quickly. Perhaps this panache doesn't carry on quite through the final third, which is necessarily downbeat, but that is a really minor and probably unavoidable issue, I think. Naturally, proceedings gradually become darker and darker, as Joe watches events in Europe from across the ocean and fears for the lives of those he loves and left behind. The story subtly (and sometimes not so subtly) deals with bigotry, both religious and sexual, and even intellectual, from the treatment of the Jews to the deriding from some quarters of the comic books themselves. It covers two decades with a sweep that sometimes verges on epic but ultimately relies on the intimate. It made me really care about its wonderful characters, who leap off the page, and makes you root for them throughout. And it's full of period detail and atmosphere, and the amount of research that Chabon must have done into the so-called 'golden age' of comic books is astonishing. It's a book that, I think, works on practically every level.

Most importantly, this was one of frankie's recommendations to me in our 'challenge'. So all I can say is thank you thank you thank you, frankie, for pointing me in the direction of this marvellous book. I think I can safely say it will go down as one of my all-time faves :D

10/10

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Have you ever awarded a 10 before?

That's about the third one this year :lol: But then the other two books (Replay and Gates of Fire) were superb, too :D

The question is, what do I follow it up with. I can't make up my mind.

I'm so thrilled :D:exc: When I'd finally chosen the six books to recommend to you, I did imagine that this would likely be your pick, but I never imagined that you could love it so! I'm a very happy bunny now :giggle2:

As for the novel... I read it in November (?) 2010, and while I have unfortunately forgotten much of what happened, some of the finer details of the novel, it is a book that I keep thinking about. It just creeps up in the mind. You've done a great job with your review, I wouldn't have been able to say what it was exactly in the novel that moved me so.

:hyper:

The question is, what do I follow it up with. I can't make up my mind.

What did you have in mind?

What did you have in mind?

I really wanted to pick something off my TBR list, but I couldn't make up my mind. I pulled The Algebraist, Shadow of the Scorpion, Childhood's End and Mockingbird off the shelf but none were grabbing me. After a while I realised why: all the talk in Tim's thread about science fiction series had got me in the mood for some space opera. I didn't want any of the authors I've already tried, either, so I ended up reading samples of Leviathan Wakes and Old Man's War. I went with Old Man's War in the end.

http://www.amazon.co...38542379&sr=8-2