Mona's 2011 Reading List

anisia

This so has to be a better year for reading as far as I'm concerned! With this in mind, new thread! :D

Currently reading:

"A Clash of Kings" - George R.R. Martin

January

1. "Understanding Criminal Behaviour" - David W. Jones, 262 pages

February

2. "Lord of Misrule" - Rachel Caine, 352 pages

3. “Still Me” – Christopher Reeve, 336 pages

4. "Flowers for Algernon" - Daniel Keyes, 224 pages

5. "Carpe Corpus" - Rachel Caine, 356 pages

6. "The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries)" - L. J. Smith, 240 pages

March

7. "The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries)" - L. J. Smith, 210 pages

April

8. "Fade Out" - Rachel Caine, 345 pages

May

9. "Kiss of Death" - Rachel Caine, 348 pages

10. “Ghost Town” – Rachel Caine, 480 pages

11. “The Tales of Beedle the Bard” – J.K. Rowling, 128 pages

June

12. "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" - J.K. Rowling, 223 pages

13. "Bite Club (Morganville Vampires Book 10") - Rachel Caine, 448 pages

14. "An Utterly Impartial History of Britain" - John O'Farrell, 592 pages

15. "Beyond Belief" - Colm O'Gorman, 320 pages

August

16. “How Starbucks Saved My Life” – Michael Gill, 368 pages

17. “Room” – Emma Donoghue, 402 pages

18. “Slam” – Nick Hornby, 304 pages

October

19. "The Amber Spyglass" - Phillip Pullman, 368 pages

20. "The Illustrated Man" - Ray Bradbury, 240 pages

21. "The Great Gatsby" - F. Scott Fitzgerald, 320 pages

November

22. "A Game of Thrones" - George R.R. Martin, 807 pages

23. "The Collector" - John Fowles, 283 pages

Edited by anisia

• 1 month later...

Understanding Criminal Behaviour by David W. Jones was definitely worth it. Although I definitely could have been faster with it, the reason it took so long to finish was that I decided to take notes while reading, since the book was from the library. As I've always been fascinated by "why" people end up doing criminal acts, this was a very interesting read. The chapters were focused on different topics, including Gender and crime or Youth crime. I particularly liked the studies it brought forth and the fact that although the book did focus on different aspects, the chapters did link with each other because of these studies. Another thing I liked was that it combined sociological and psychological theories, giving a more comprehensive explanation to certain behaviors.

I remember us talking about the book, I'm happy to hear you enjoyed reading it :) I just checked the local library and uni library and it just so happens that uni has an electronic copy of it so yep I will get to read it when I want :)

What are you planning on reading next?

Thanks Ben; sorry I'm only replying now, I kinda missed my own thread's reply :rolleyes:

Good luck with your reading! I hope you have great year :-)

Thank you! :D

I remember us talking about the book, I'm happy to hear you enjoyed reading it :) I just checked the local library and uni library and it just so happens that uni has an electronic copy of it so yep I will get to read it when I want :)

What are you planning on reading next?

That's right, we did have a talk about the book, when I was still at the beginning of it. It was definitely a good read, although I need to stop taking notes, it made it a very long read too :P Hope you enjoy it!

I'm halfway through Still Me, Christopher Reeve's autobiography right now. I am also halfway through the 5th volume of the Morganville Vampires series. I was hoping to finish both before February 1st, but unfortunately I work tonight, it won't happen :(

Author: Rachel Caine

Title: Lord of Misrule (Morganville Vampires)

Book description (amazon.co.uk)

Morganville. Texas. Just south of normal. In the college town of Morganville, vampires and humans coexist in (relatively) bloodless harmony. Then comes Bishop, a master vampire who threatens to abolish all order, revive the forces of the evil dead, and let chaos rule. But Bishop isn’t the only threat. Violent black clouds promise a storm of devastating proportions. As student Claire Danvers and her friends prepare to defend Morganville against the elements – both natural and unnatural – the unexpected happens: Morganville’s vampires begin to vanish one by one. Discovering why leads Claire to one last choice: swear allegiance to Bishop…or die.

Personal Note: After I was done with the 4th volume of the series, I felt the need of a break from Morganville. Not because I didn’t enjoy the books, but simply because after four volumes, I needed to read about something else. Lord of Misrule is the fifth book in the Morganville Vampires series and although I don’t think it’s the best so far, I definitely loved reading it. It’s packed with action, I love that the characters have enough depth that I now have favorites – Michael. As with every other volume, the ending has left me wanting to start the next one the minute after! Rachel Caine certainly likes cliffhangers…

Edited by anisia

• 2 weeks later...

Title: Still Me

Author: Christopher Reeve

Book Description (amazon.com)

Christopher Reeve has beaten the odds before. He scored his first role in a Euripides play at 15, costarred with Katharine Hepburn at 22, and was one of two advanced-program students accepted at Juilliard, to which 2,000 drama students annually apply. (The other advanced student became his best friend, Robin Williams.) Reeve rode a sailplane to 32,000 feet over Pikes Peak, fell 90 feet from a parasail harness into four feet of water and walked away. He survived emergency appendectomy, malaria in Kenya, and the disastrous filmChanging Channels, with Burt Reynolds. He flew vintage airplanes upside down. On his first solo transatlantic flight, a radar controller informed him he was about to run out of gas 200 miles west of Iceland. The radar controller had misread his screen, and Reeve landed safely.

Then, in 1995, his horse balked at a 3-foot-3-inch racecourse fence, made an abrupt “dirty stop,” Reeve’s hands got tangled in the reins, he landed on his head and got a “hangman’s injury”–a broken neck. Ace paramedics got oxygen to him 60 seconds before brain damage set in, and a helicopter named Pegasus lofted him to a hospital.

Reeve was already important. His interpretation of Superman was classic, and his starring role in The Bostonians launched the Merchant/Ivory school of filmmaking. But it was not until his paralysis that Reeve really got moving as a public figure of the first rank. As his memoir Still Me details, since the accident, Reeve has directed his first film, started the Christopher Reeve Foundation to fund spinal-cord-repair research, lobbied Congress, and crisscrossed the country on speaking engagements.

Says Reeve, “Lindbergh made it across the Atlantic [where he was feted by Reeve's grandma]; Houdini got out of those straitjackets; with enough money and grass-roots support, why shouldn’t I be able to get out of this wheelchair?” Part Hollywood reminiscence, part scientific detective story, and part soapbox speech, Still Me explains the tantalizing but quite real possiblity that Reeve (and a quarter-million other paralyzed people, plus 49 million disabled Americans) may get back on their feet. Bobby Kennedy once tried to bolster Reeve’s faith by saying, “Just fake it till you make it. The prayers will seem phony, but one day they’ll become real.” Christopher Reeve has more than a prayer, he has a program. He ain’t fake, and he just might make it, leading a cast of millions.

Personal Note

“Still Me” , Christopher Reeve’s autobiography is definitely not what I had expected when I started reading. Despite the fact that it was written after Reeve’s horrible accident that left him paralyzed, the book is incredibly uplifting. The chapters are a combination of Reeve’s life before the accident, starting with his childhood, and his life and everything he went through after the accident. I think what I liked the most is the honesty. He doesn’t sound unnaturally upbeat, he talks both about the very low times and the happy ones. Another thing that stood out to me, which is less related to his own story is the names that make an appereance. Reeve comes from an older generation of actors, the ones that are now highly acclaimed – Robin Williams or Morgan Freeman to name just two. These are actors that became famous during the same years as Christopher Reeve, and I found it interesting to read about how they were before they were very well known for their acting careers.

I definitely recommend this book whether you are one that’s followed Reeve’s acting/directing career or not.

Author: Daniel Keyes

Title: Flowers for Algernon

Book Description (amazon.com)

Charlie Gordon, IQ 68, is a floor sweeper, and the gentle butt of everyone’s jokes, until an experiment in the enhancement of human intelligence turns him into a genius. But then Algernon, the mouse whose triumphal experimental tranformation preceded his, fades and dies, and Charlie has to face the possibility that his salvation was only temporary.

Personal Note

This was a reread for me and again I found this book fantastic. It’s so interesting watching the way Charlie evolves, both intellectually and psychologically. I found the ending excellent and it brought up a lot of questions in my mind. Again, very glad I reread this!

How weird, I completely missed your reply... and I normally get notifications! Odd.

------------------------

Title: Carpe Corpus

Book Description (amazon.co.uk)

This title includes a brand new and exclusive morganville short story only available in this edition. In the small town of Morganville, vampires and humans lived in (relative) peace – until all the rules got rewritten when the evil vampire Bishop arrived, looking for the lost book of vampire secrets. He’s kept a death grip on the town ever since. Now an underground resistance is brewing, and in order to contain it, Bishop must go to even greater lengths. He vows to obliterate the town and all its inhabitants – the living and the undead. Claire Danvers and her friends are the only ones who stand in his way. But even if they defeat Bishop, will the vampires ever be content to go back to the old rules, after having had such a taste of power?

Personal Note

I feel that the Morganville series is getting better and better with each volume. In this volume I reached the point where I was questioning everyone’s motives and wondering who was on the good side after all, as Rachel Caine keeps the readers in suspense until the last page of the book. I’m very curious to see how the changes happening at the end of the book will affect Morganville in the next volume.

Edited by anisia

Understanding Criminal Behaviour by David W. Jones was definitely worth it. Although I definitely could have been faster with it, the reason it took so long to finish was that I decided to take notes while reading, since the book was from the library. As I've always been fascinated by "why" people end up doing criminal acts, this was a very interesting read. The chapters were focused on different topics, including Gender and crime or Youth crime. I particularly liked the studies it brought forth and the fact that although the book did focus on different aspects, the chapters did link with each other because of these studies. Another thing I liked was that it combined sociological and psychological theories, giving a more comprehensive explanation to certain behaviors.

Interesting that this escaped my attention the first time I read through your thread, as it seems like a book that would appeal to me greatly. During this year in my psychology classes, we have done a whole section on Forensic Crime which has looked a intently at the way in which a criminal mind works; whether it differs to ours or whether it is upbringing that is imperative in someone turning to crime. It was incredibly interesting and I imagine some of the studies that popped up were ones we focused on. For instance in gender and youth crime we looked at people like Farrington and Sutherland, who you may have come across. I may have to add this one to my list, anyways.

Interesting that this escaped my attention the first time I read through your thread, as it seems like a book that would appeal to me greatly. During this year in my psychology classes, we have done a whole section on Forensic Crime which has looked a intently at the way in which a criminal mind works; whether it differs to ours or whether it is upbringing that is imperative in someone turning to crime. It was incredibly interesting and I imagine some of the studies that popped up were ones we focused on. For instance in gender and youth crime we looked at people like Farrington and Sutherland, who you may have come across. I may have to add this one to my list, anyways.

It's definitely a good book to read if you are interested in how people become criminals, as there were so many theories studied. It felt very comprehensive unlike some of the psychology books I've read, which just focus on one or two aspects.

Title: The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries)

Author: L. J. Smith

Elena is the school beauty, but she’s bored. Until a new boy turns up in her class. Stefan is dark and mysterious – and she’s determined to get to know him better. But Elena reminds Stefan of someone from his tragic past, and he’s just as determined to resist her. Until a series of attacks in the area terrify the school and town and Stefan, the outsider, is held responsible. Elena is the only one who offers to help and, falling in love with her, Stefan tells her his terrible story. He is a vampire, on the run from his evil brother, Damon, who is also a vampire, but doesn’t share Stefan’s qualms about drinking human blood. And Damon is the one Stefan suspects of really being behind the recent attacks… Can Elena help prove his innocence – without revealing his secret?

Personal Note

I definitely expected something else when I started this. I saw the TV show first and I thought it was very much based on the books – instead I found an Elena I dislike and no Damon. Although I guess he does make an appearance at times. I will read the next book in the series, but I am not impressed so far. It feels simplistic, with not enough emotion and character depth. I think I had too many expectations because I loved the TV show. It is an easy read though, it took me just a few hours, and it was enjoyable despite everything. Certainly enough to keep me reading.

It's definitely a good book to read if you are interested in how people become criminals, as there were so many theories studied. It felt very comprehensive unlike some of the psychology books I've read, which just focus on one or two aspects.

Could I be as bold as to ask you to take a look at my reading blog, vodkafan and I have just discussed books we could read on the subject of 'why' in terms with psychopaths etc, and we'd like bookish recommendations? :) Pretty please!

Edited by frankie

Title: The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries)

Elena is the school beauty, but she’s bored. Until a new boy turns up in her class. Stefan is dark and mysterious – and she’s determined to get to know him better. But Elena reminds Stefan of someone from his tragic past, and he’s just as determined to resist her. Until a series of attacks in the area terrify the school and town and Stefan, the outsider, is held responsible. Elena is the only one who offers to help and, falling in love with her, Stefan tells her his terrible story. He is a vampire, on the run from his evil brother, Damon, who is also a vampire, but doesn’t share Stefan’s qualms about drinking human blood. And Damon is the one Stefan suspects of really being behind the recent attacks… Can Elena help prove his innocence – without revealing his secret?

Personal Note

I definitely expected something else when I started this. I saw the TV show first and I thought it was very much based on the books – instead I found an Elena I dislike and no Damon. Although I guess he does make an appearance at times. I will read the next book in the series, but I am not impressed so far. It feels simplistic, with not enough emotion and character depth. I think I had too many expectations because I loved the TV show. It is an easy read though, it took me just a few hours, and it was enjoyable despite everything. Certainly enough to keep me reading.

anisia! I felt exactly the same way about Elena! I read the second book, it was okay, there is Damon :)

anisia! I felt exactly the same way about Elena! I read the second book, it was okay, there is Damon :)

Even with Damon there I just couldn't get into the books at all...although yes, Damon did make things better - possibly because I have the actor who plays Damon in the TV show in my head ;)

Title: The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries)

Torn between two vampire brothers

Damon: determined to make Elena his, he’d kill his own brother to possess her.

Stefan: desperate for the power to destroy Damon, and protect Elena, he gives in to his thirst for human blood.

Elena: the girl who can have anyone finds herself in the middle of a love triangle . . . one that might turn deadly.

Personal Note

I found it a very difficult read simply because it was boring! As I said with the first volume in the series, I had higher expectations, because the TV show is so well done. In the end though, I just can’t like any of the characters in this book. I think for once I don’t feel a connection with a young-adult book at all. I can’t get into the teenage drama and Stefan just annoys me. All in all, I didn’t like the book and I’ve given up on this series. I know there are two more books to be read, but I just can’t read anymore of this.

• 1 month later...

Title: Kiss of Death

Claire Danvers has a few things on her mind. First of all there is the laundry, which is now an unfortunate shade of pink. Then there is her boyfriend, Shane, who is never too far from her thoughts. Finally there is her best friend Eve's relationship problems. As if life as a student wasn't complicated enough, Claire just happens to be studying in Morganville. A town run by vampires. Trouble seems to follow Claire and her friends like a shadow and tonight is no exception to the rule. They must find the most difficult documents for a vampire to acquire; people passes that will allow 'bad ass' Morley and his friends to leave Morganville. But it's proving incredibly difficult, and with the odds seemingly stacked against them, the biggest question of all is...Will they survive?

Personal Note

Book 8 of the series and I'm sad to know that I'm coming closer to the end of this. I read it in a day and imediatelly started book 9 which I am already halfway through. What I particularly enjoyed about this one is that the plot was completely different than the books before. What I didn't like? Eve - she's a character I'm starting to really get annoyed with. She's become whiny and selfish and she's changed a lot (for the worse in my opinion) since the first book.

I need to recommend this series again if you enjoy vampire books - the plot is original, the characters are well written and it has many volumes so far, keeps you entertained for a while!

Edited by anisia

• 4 weeks later...

Title: Ghost Town

This title includes a brand new and exclusive Morganville short story. When Claire is ordered to repair the systems that protect Morganville, it’s not just cutting into her study time, it’s a life-threatening problem. If there’s one thing this vampire-infested town is serious about, it’s security. But achieving the impossible only brings a whole new set of problems, and the upgrades have unexpected consequences: people inside the town are slowly beginning to forget who they are, even the vampires. Soon, the town’s little memory problem has turned into a full-on epidemic. Now Claire needs to figure out a way to pull the plug on her experiment – before she forgets how to save Morganville…

Personal Note

This is probably my favorite book in the series so far, or close to the top anyway. Although I had become annoyed with Eve in the book before, I think she has redeemed herself a bit in this one and I feel she’s less self-centered and annoying. I will say though, the ending not only schocked me, but I also just wasn’t a fan. While it makes sense and I can see it happening, I was just going “no! how can this happen???” in my mind.

Edited by anisia

Title: The Tales of Beedle the Bard

Author: J.K. Rowling

‘You’ve never heard of The Tales of Beedle the Bard?’ said Ron incredulously. ‘You’re kidding, right?’ (From Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows) Published by the charity Lumos in association with Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, The Tales of Beedle the Bard is the first new book from J. K. Rowling since the publication of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The Tales of Beedle the Bard played a crucial role in assisting Harry, with his friends Ron and Hermione, to finally defeat Lord Voldemort. Fans will be thrilled to have this opportunity to read the tales in full. An exciting addition to the canon of Harry Potter, the tales reveal the wonderful versatility of the author, as she tackles with relish the structure and varying tones of a classic fairy tale. There are five tales: ‘The Tale of the Three Brothers’, recounted in Deathly Hallows, plus ‘The Fountain of Fair Fortune’, ‘The Warlock’s Hairy Heart’, ‘The Wizard and the Hopping Pot’, and ‘Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump’. Each has its own magical character and will bring delight, laughter and the thrill of mortal peril. Translated from the original runes by Hermione Granger, the tales are introduced and illustrated by J. K. Rowling. Also included are notes by Professor Albus Dumbledore, which appear by kind permission of the Hogwarts Headmasters’ Archive.

Personal Note

I can’t believe it took me such a long time to finally read this! As an avid (obsessed) Harry Potter fan, I am disappointed with myself. Even so, I finally did, got the book from the library and just an hour or two later it was all over. I have always loved fairly tales and this book was perfect. The notes written by Albus Dumbledore at the end of each story were great. Not a lot more I can say about it except I enjoyed it and it was nice having something new to read that related even a bit to Harry Potter.

• 4 weeks later...

Title: Bite Club (Morganville Vampires)

Morganville, Texas is a quiet college town where humans and vampires live in relative peace. But lately a great deal of blood is being spilled - not in a feeding frenzy, but for someone's twisted idea of entertainment. After discovering that vampires populate Morganville - and surviving a number of adventures with her new night-dwelling friends - college student Claire Danvers has come to realise that for the most part, the undead just want to live their lives. But someone else wants them to get ready to rumble. There's a new extreme sport being broadcast over the Internet: bare-knuckle fights pitting captured vampires against one another - or, worse, against humans. Tracking the out-of-town signal leads Claire - accompanied by a loyal group of friends and frenemies - to discover that what started as an online brawl will soon threaten everyone in Morganville. And if they want to survive, they'll have to do a lot more than fight...

Personal Note

First of all, book ten of Morganville Vampires? When did that happen??? I am still very undecided about this volume and whether I liked it a lot or not. It should be an easy decision, but all through the book I felt like I was struggling a bit with it. I think it's the change in the writing style, mainly adding Shane's point of view parts. It felt very different than the other books. The topic on the other hand was unexpected and I felt it did bring Shane's aggression to front in a very original manner. I'm just wondering now what else there is to write about. I know there's a new book coming out and I keep thinking the series should end soon, before it gets boring.

Title: An Utterly Impartial History of Britain: (or 2000 Years Of Upper Class Idiots In Charge)

Author: John O'Farrell

Many of us were put off history by the dry and dreary way it was taught at school. Back then ‘The Origins of the Industrial Revolution’ somehow seemed less compelling than the chance to test the bold claim on Timothy Johnson’s ‘Shatterproof’ ruler.But here at last is a chance to have a good laugh and learn all that stuff you feel you really ought to know by now…

In this ‘Horrible History for Grown Ups’ you can read how Anglo-Saxon liberals struggled to be positive about immigration; ‘Look I think we have to try and respect the religious customs of our new Viking friends – oi, he’s nicked my bloody ox!’Discover how England’s peculiar class system was established by some snobby French nobles whose posh descendents still have wine cellars and second homes in the Dordogne today. And explore the complex socio-economic reasons why Britain’s kings were the first in Europe to be brought to heel; (because the Stuarts were such a useless bunch of untalented, incompetent, arrogant, upper-class thickoes that Parliament didn’t have much choice.)

A book about then that is also incisive and illuminating about now, ‘2000 Years of Upper Class Idiots in Charge’, is an hilarious, informative and cantankerous journey through Britain’ fascinating and bizarre history.As entertaining as a witch burning, and a lot more laughs.

Personal Note

The book started wonderful, I was hooked after the first few pages and overall it was a good book to learn about the British History at least on a basic level. The problem is that after 2-300 pages, I didn't find it as amusing as I had at the start. Not saying it doesn't have some excellent jokes, but somehow by the end of the book, I just wasn't that impressed. I also felt that it went a bit too fast over some moments and gave too little details. I'm somewhere in the middle with this book, I rated it 3/5 on Goodreads. I thought it was good for information if you're starting to read about British History and the writing is hilarious at times. I just started losing interest halfway through it, so I can't give it a very high rating.

Title: Beyond Belief: Abused by His Priest. Betrayed by His Church. The Story of the Boy Who Sued the Pope

Author: Colm O’Gorman

'I was living in a world where a priest who spoke the words of God used me for sex, and there was no-one to tell. The world where this horror happened didn't exist for anyone else.'

As a boy in Ireland where everyone - from among his own neighbours to the powers of church and state - chose to deny that a priest could sexually assault a child, Colm O'Gorman felt only shame, guilt and fear at the regular rape and abuse he suffered.

But Colm would go on to make history, successfully suing the Roman Catholic Church, asking questions of the Pope himself and creating a watershed in history as hundreds more victims found the courage to report their abuse.

Beyond Belief is a powerful story of a young man's shame turning to outrage, and demonstrates that - whatever our past hurts - there is hope for the future if we are prepared to stand for truth.

Personal Note

It was the title that made me read the book and I'm very glad I gave it a shot. I read it all in an afternoon and I couldn't put it down. It's inspiring to see how far this man has come in his personal and professional life. One of the reasons I tend to stay away from these kinds of autobiographies is that I can't get into the writing, but I found the way this one is written perfectly - it's very factual but there's still a lot of emotion. Overall I am very impressed with the book and of course I am amazed by the author's strength.

• 2 months later...

Title: How Starbucks Saved My Life

Author: Michael Gill

A candid, moving and inspirational memoir about a high-flying business man who is forced to re-evaluate his life and values when he suddenly loses everything and goes to work in Starbucks. Michael Gill had it made. He was educated, wealthy and well-connected. He had a creative and lucrative advertising job, which he loved and which he was good at, and a model family and home life. Then he loses it all. He is fired by a young exec whom he had mentored. He has an extramarital affair that destroys his family and results in a newborn son. Then he is diagnosed with brain cancer. He has no insurance, no income. One day he wanders into Starbucks and by chance signs up for a job interview. His would-be boss is a young black woman who gives him a job, and sets about training him and mentoring him. What follows is an inspirational eye-opener as Gill experiences a whole new world compared to his former life — with people from completely different ethnic and social backgrounds. ‘How Starbucks Saved My Life’ follows Gill’s journey of discovery as gradually he is forced to question his ingrained assumptions, prejudices and habits.Gill emerges from his fall from grace with humility and gratitude. His new-found empathy teaches him how anyone who has lost their way, or made a mistake, can start again.

Personal Note

“How Starbucks Saved My Life” is an easy read but very inspiring. The reason why I chose the book was because of my love for coffee and Starbucks, and I wasn’t disappointed. I found it interesting to see how a man with big wealth, who grew up with money and who was part of a social life that included meeting Frank Sinatra, could end up working for Starbucks, as a barista. What I particularly liked was that the author was honest and admitted his faults and the fact that he was quite judgmental in the life he had before losing his job – you can see the changes in him over the course of the book. While not an incredible book, I still recommend it, if you’re interested even in just seeing how Starbucks works and what you need to learn if you want a job there.

Title: Room

Author: Emma Donoghue

Jack is five. He lives with his Ma. They live in a single, locked room. They don’t have the key. Jack and Ma are prisoners.

Personal Note

This is probably the best book I’ve read in a very long time. Incredibly written, sad, but inspiring too. While the point of view is Jack’s, it’s narrated in a way that keeps you reading. I loved the open ending and the fact that not everything got worked out and was perfect – it gave the book a lot of realism.

Edited by anisia