Mona's 2011 Reading List

anisia

Title: Slam

Author: Nick Hornby

Book Description (amazon.co.uk)

‘There was this time when everything seemed to have come together. And so obviously it was time to go and screw it all up.’

Sam is sixteen and a skater. Just so there are no terrible misunderstandings: skating = skateboarding. There’s no ice. Life is ticking along nicely for Sam: his mum’s got rid of her rubbish boyfriend, he’s thinking about college and he’s met someone. Alicia.

Then a little accident happens. One with big consequences for someone just finding his way in life. Sam can’t run (let alone skate) away from this one. He’s a boy facing a man’s problems and the question is – has he got what it takes to confront them?

Personal Note

I was very disappointed with this book, perhaps because I had very high expectations from the author. I have never before read a book written by Nick Hornby, but I’ve heard the author praised a lot. The book just didn’t live up to its expectations at all. The topic, while very important just didn’t really interest me. To be honest, the main character just annoyed me, and the whole part with him talking to a poster just added to the annoyance. I felt like it somehow approached an important topic but didn’t go in depth? Overall, I was just not impressed by the book at all. I might try another Nick Hornby book though, as I have really only heard good things about his books.

Edited by anisia

Title: Slam

Author: Nick Hornby

‘There was this time when everything seemed to have come together. And so obviously it was time to go and screw it all up.’

Sam is sixteen and a skater. Just so there are no terrible misunderstandings: skating = skateboarding. There’s no ice. Life is ticking along nicely for Sam: his mum’s got rid of her rubbish boyfriend, he’s thinking about college and he’s met someone. Alicia.

Then a little accident happens. One with big consequences for someone just finding his way in life. Sam can’t run (let alone skate) away from this one. He’s a boy facing a man’s problems and the question is – has he got what it takes to confront them?

Personal Note

I was very disappointed with this book, perhaps because I had very high expectations from the author. I have never before read a book written by Nick Horny, but I’ve heard the author praised a lot. The book just didn’t live up to its expectations at all. The topic, while very important just didn’t really interest me. To be honest, the main character just annoyed me, and the whole part with him talking to a poster just added to the annoyance. I felt like it somehow approached an important topic but didn’t go in depth? Overall, I was just not impressed by the book at all. I might try another Nick Hornby book though, as I have really only heard good things about his books.

I have not read this particular one but I've read High Fidelity and that was great. And as you say I have only also heard good things about his books. Great review I'll think twice before picking this on up.

Edited by I'mRose

I have not read this particular one but I've read High Fidelity and that was great. And as you say I have only also heard good things about his books. Great review I'll think twice before picking this on up.

Thank you!

Yes, I think that's why I was so disappointed about it, because everyone recommends this author so I started with high expectations.

I'll give High Fidelity a try though, that one has been recommended to me a few times :)

Personal Note

I was very disappointed with this book, perhaps because I had very high expectations from the author. I have never before read a book written by Nick Horny, but I’ve heard the author praised a lot. The book just didn’t live up to its expectations at all. The topic, while very important just didn’t really interest me. To be honest, the main character just annoyed me, and the whole part with him talking to a poster just added to the annoyance. I felt like it somehow approached an important topic but didn’t go in depth? Overall, I was just not impressed by the book at all. I might try another Nick Hornby book though, as I have really only heard good things about his books.

I agree with you've, I think I've read all Hornby's novels except for his book on songs, and this was my least favorite. I just couldn't relate to the main character, and I found the skating bit annoying. Yes, it's an important topic but I couldn't really care less... :blush:

I would definitely recommend you read another Hornby, because this book doesn't say squat about his talent as an author. I'd recommend About a Boy or maybe Juliet, Naked. :) High Fidelity was also good, just not my personal favorites :)

I agree with you've, I think I've read all Hornby's novels except for his book on songs, and this was my least favorite. I just couldn't relate to the main character, and I found the skating bit annoying. Yes, it's an important topic but I couldn't really care less... :blush:

I would definitely recommend you read another Hornby, because this book doesn't say squat about his talent as an author. I'd recommend About a Boy or maybe Juliet, Naked. :) High Fidelity was also good, just not my personal favorites :)

I'm glad I wasn't the only one with these thoughts! I always feel bad about saying I didn't enjoy a book, especially if the author is so well known.

I'll get the recommendations from the library next time I'm there :)

• 2 months later...

So I haven't read a lot...actually that isn't very true, I have read, just not entire books. Been doing lots of reading for school and trying to keep up with what I liked at Uni. The 4 books I can think of I finished recently were:

The Amber Spyglass by Phillip Pullman

Enjoyed it a lot but I don't recommend reading it if you've had a long break from the volumes before. I was confused for the first few chapters because it had been months since I had read the book before this one. As much as I liked the whole series overall, I fear I did miss a lot in the last volume regarding the poilitcs part. I still loved the whole series, I think I need to re-read it at some point.

The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury

Excellent short-stories book! I will be honest and admit I probably never would have read it had I not heard about it in Criminal Minds and I would have missed out. It's Sci-fi combined with horror - loved it. The idea of tattoos coming to life and each telling a story is original and made me curious from the first page. Highly recommended.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I am always worried about saying anything regarding classics, because I don't really write reviews. So I'll just say I am glad I finally read it - it was very good and tragic and I couldn't put it down.

Edited by anisia

• 2 weeks later...

Title: A Game of Thrones

Author: George R.R. Martin

First volume of a brilliant new fantasy trilogy: the most powerful, original and absorbing new epic since Stephen Donaldson’s Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. The first volume of George R R Martin’s glorious high fantasy tells the tragic story of treachery, greed and war that threatens the unity of the Seven Kingdoms south of the Wall. Martin unfolds with astonishing skill a tale of truly epic dimensions, thronged with memorable characters, a story of treachery and ambition, love and magic. Set in a fabulous world scarred by battle and catastrophe over 8000 years of recorded history, it tells of the deeds of men and women locked in the deadliest of conflicts and the terrible legacy they will leave their children. In the game of thrones, you win or you die. And in the bitter-cold, unliving lands beyond the Wall, a terrible winter gathers and the others — the undead, the neverborn, wildlings to whom the threat of the sword is nothing — make ready to descend on the realms of men. A Game of Thrones begins the most imaginative, ambitious and compelling fantasy epic since The Lord of the Rings. Thronged with memorable characters, it unfolds with astonishing skill a tale of truly epic dimensions. There have been many pretenders to the throne of Tolkien: now at last he has a true heir.

Personal Note

Over 800 pages read in less than 3 days, I think it’s obvious I more than enjoyed the first book of the series. I would actually start the second one right now if I didn’t have another book from the library to finish before the due date. A Game of Thrones is the type of book that I probably enjoy the most – fantasy, set in a somewhat medieval time. The characters are well written, the plot is very intricate – I’ve always admired authors who write books like this one so well, that despite the many subplots, they still come together and make sense. The one thing I need to say is that I was “annoyed” by the way the author tends to kill off characters. It works with the plot, but by the end of the volume, I was screaming in my head and thinking “no, why did you do that???”. I highly recommend the book and author, will continue with the second book of the series very soon.

Title: The Collector

Author: John Fowles

Withdrawn, uneducated and unloved, Frederick collects butterflies and takes photographs. He is obsessed with a beautiful stranger, the art student Miranda. When he wins the pools he buys a remote Sussex house and calmly abducts Miranda, believing she will grow to love him in time. Alone and desperate, Miranda must struggle to overcome her own prejudices and contempt if she is understand her captor, and so gain her freedom.

Personal Note

Despite finding it a bit slow going, especially in the first part, this was an excellent read with a good ending that I thought fit the book perfectly. Weirdly, I felt sympathy for both characters and there were times when I found Miranda rather obnoxious and full of herself. The one thing that I would have liked more is if part two and one came the other way around; in my head they just sound better in that order. In the second part especially there were also a lot of quotes I am sad I didn’t write down – I remembered my quote book when I was already towards the end of the book. Still one that I really liked and put down is "I am older and younger. I am older because I have learnt, I am younger because a lot of me consisted of things older people taught me”.

I keep thinking of buying A Game of Thrones, but I haven't got round to it yet. Maybe I should buy it to read over the Christmas holidays, it sounds as though it's a book I will just want to keep on reading!

I read The Collector a few years ago, I remember enjoying it, but nothing else about it - it might have to go on the list for a re-read.

Thanks for the reviews! :)

• 1 month later...

I'm with Ooshie - I read The Collector some years ago, enjoyed it (and it was oppressive, just like Andrea said) but can't remember much about it, apart from the main events. Needs a re-read, me thinks! Thanks for reminding me of the book :)

Edited by frankie