Sign in to follow this  
Hayley

2021 Updates and Improvements

15 hours ago, Raven said:

(what I am saying is we've all got preconceived ideas about how a forum should work that other potential new members probably won't have - unless they too are used to other forum boards).

I personally think the biggest hurdle to attracting and retaining new members isn't how the forum itself is structured, or how and where people make posts, it is how quickly we can make new members feel a part of the forum without them feeling like they are intruding into a clique.

I think that statement which I stuck in bold hits the nail on the head. When BCF closed for a while I went looking for another forum but none of them ever stuck with me because I was so used to the layout here. They weren't better or worse, just different and that was enough to put me off. The eagle-eyed amongst you will notice that I don't post a huge amount. I've been a member for 11 years and my post count is only about 2500 which works out to be 230ish post a year. I think part of this is due to the thing which links us all, which is books.

Reading is a slow process and although we all love books, we read different things so it takes time for our opinions to form. I read pretty much every new post on here (with the exception of the games forum) and although I would like to reply more often to people's book posts I don't because I haven't read the book. This isn't something that we can 'fix' as such and apart from somehow attracting more members to keep the topics posted moving it will be hard to improve. It is a sad fact that internet forums just aren't as popular as they used to be.

With regards to the personal blogs vs individual topics debate I can see the benefits of both. Even though I have always just posted in my blog in the past I think I'll start posting individual topics for books that I think merit further discussion as well.