Jump to content
Athena

Read-a-thons 2021

Recommended Posts

I know it's a bit early but.. well I felt in the mood. I will post the preliminary schedule for BCF monthly read-a-thons in 2021.

 

The following are set up as:

2021
[Month]: [Friday Date] [Saturday Date] [Sunday Date]

January: 01 02 03 04*
February: 05 06 07
March: 05 06 07
April: 02 03 04
May: 07 08 09
June: 04 05 06
July: 02 03 04
August: 06 07 08
September: 03 04 05
October: 01 02 03
November: 05 06 07
December: 03 04 05

 

Note:
* -> starts on New Year's Day.. not sure about that as I tend to be exhausted then (from lack of sleep due to it being too noisy to sleep). Might move it depending on what those of you who want to participate, think. Feel free to comment down below with any related thoughts.

EDIT: As per discussion we have added Monday the 4th of January to the January read-a-thon.

 

If this is not easy to read for you, please let me know and I'll see if I can write it down in a way that is more easy for you to understand.

 

I look forward to do more reading in 2021 :)!

 


 

Edited by Athena

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m glad you posted early, I’m looking forward to starting a new year of reading. This one hasn’t been great! 
 

I agree that New Year’s Day might not be great for a lot of people. I suppose we could just extend it to include Monday, the 4th? I’d be fine with moving it forward a week too though, what does everyone else think? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the idea of adding Monday the 4th!! Let's do that, since you three like the idea as well (though if anyone after this voices objections, I don't mean to exclude them.).

 

I will edit the list above, thank you for the idea Hayley!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to post here that it's January 1rst here tomorrow (and the same for some of you!). While for the past week I've been feeling like January 2021, that's still so far away,.. it actually isn't. My perception of time has been so confused and messed up lately.

 

Anyway.. for those interested, the read-a-thon is scheduled for Friday 1rst of January until Monday the 4th of January, so it would finish the end of Monday.

 

I currently don't really feel in the mood, but then it is not yet Jan 1rst. It's probably because I'm going through some difficulties atm, we'll see how things go.

 

To anyone who participates, I wish you happy reading! (And of course a Happy New Year!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Athena said:

Just wanted to post here that it's January 1rst here tomorrow (and the same for some of you!). While for the past week I've been feeling like January 2021, that's still so far away,.. it actually isn't. My perception of time has been so confused and messed up lately.

Me too! I assume it’s the weirdness at the moment changing our normal routines. I felt like the whole of December went by in a few days.

 

15 hours ago, Athena said:

 

I currently don't really feel in the mood, but then it is not yet Jan 1rst. It's probably because I'm going through some difficulties atm, we'll see how things go

Hope you’re okay. Don’t feel pressured to join in this month if you don’t feel up to it. And remember there’s an extra day so you can just see how you feel tomorrow or the next day :hug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hayley said:

Me too! I assume it’s the weirdness at the moment changing our normal routines. I felt like the whole of December went by in a few days.

 

Hope you’re okay. Don’t feel pressured to join in this month if you don’t feel up to it. And remember there’s an extra day so you can just see how you feel tomorrow or the next day :hug:

Yes I hope you are ok. 2020 was such a strange year, that I have decided not to put too much pressure on myself to do things. I might read a little today, but I am not going to use the read-a-thons to mark the quantity of pages read but just to enjoy reading.

Happy New Year to you all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m looking forward to reading this weekend, as now the festive season is over, as things should be slightly normal.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy new year both! 
 

I accidentally stayed up until 1 in the morning finishing One of our Thursdays is Missing :blush:. I love those books! 
 

I have more things I need to get done today so I won’t be able to read so much this afternoon (I’d already started by this time yesterday!) but I think I’m going to read some more of the short stories in The Other World, It Whispers, rather than start another novel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/01/2021 at 10:53 AM, Hayley said:

Me too! I assume it’s the weirdness at the moment changing our normal routines. I felt like the whole of December went by in a few days.

 

Same.

 

On 01/01/2021 at 10:53 AM, Hayley said:

Hope you’re okay. Don’t feel pressured to join in this month if you don’t feel up to it. And remember there’s an extra day so you can just see how you feel tomorrow or the next day :hug:

 

Thanks Hayley :hug:. I indeed read nothing on Friday, but yesterday (Saturday) I read 22 pages in The Donor by Claire Macintosh. It's a novella and has just over 100 pages, I hope to at least finish that today and hopefully read something more.

 

On 01/01/2021 at 1:21 PM, karen.d said:

Yes I hope you are ok. 2020 was such a strange year, that I have decided not to put too much pressure on myself to do things. I might read a little today, but I am not going to use the read-a-thons to mark the quantity of pages read but just to enjoy reading.

Happy New Year to you all!

 

That makes sense, it was indeed a strange year. I hope you enjoy your reading :). Happy New Year to you too, Karen!

 

On 01/01/2021 at 1:29 PM, Marie H said:

I’m looking forward to reading this weekend, as now the festive season is over, as things should be slightly normal.

Happy New Year to everyone!

 

Happy New Year to you too Marie :)! I hope you have fun reading!

 

16 hours ago, Hayley said:

Happy new year both! 
 

I accidentally stayed up until 1 in the morning finishing One of our Thursdays is Missing :blush:. I love those books! 
 

I have more things I need to get done today so I won’t be able to read so much this afternoon (I’d already started by this time yesterday!) but I think I’m going to read some more of the short stories in The Other World, It Whispers, rather than start another novel. 

 

Happy New Year to you Hayley! Haha, I'm glad it was an excellent read :)! I hope you enjoy The Other World, It Whispers :).

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Athena said:

Happy New Year to you Hayley! Haha, I'm glad it was an excellent read :)! I hope you enjoy The Other World, It Whispers :).

 

Thank you! I hope you enjoy The Donor! :) 

 

I read two of the stories from The Other World yesterday and there’s two left so I think I can probably finish that today. I definitely feel like reading a novel rather than short stories next though. You know when you want something you can really get engrossed in? Thinking I might go for Ransom Riggs Hollow City.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Hayley said:

Thank you! I hope you enjoy The Donor! :) 

 

I did, thank you :)! In fact I liked it so much I struggled to read something else for a while :lol:. So I ordered the author's most popular / best reviewed book (The Donor was a novella).

 

19 hours ago, Hayley said:

I read two of the stories from The Other World yesterday and there’s two left so I think I can probably finish that today. I definitely feel like reading a novel rather than short stories next though. You know when you want something you can really get engrossed in? Thinking I might go for Ransom Riggs Hollow City.

 

I hope you enjoyed whichever book you ended up reading :).

 

After The Donor I struggled for a while, then decided to try rereading a short Stilton book (Geronimo Stilton 3: De Piraten van de zilveren Kattenklauw). Later in the day I read Himouto! Umaru-chan volume 8 by Sakakuhead. I then re-read Cakes in Space by Philip Reeve and Sarah McIntyre, and I re-read Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball by Laura Ellen Anderson (Amelia Fang book 1).

 

I hope to read some more today, as it's the extra day :).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking forward to the Feb read-a-thon, as it looks like wintery weather this weekend, so it will be nice to be all cosy reading time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Marie H said:

I'm looking forward to the Feb read-a-thon, as it looks like wintery weather this weekend, so it will be nice to be all cosy reading time.

 

I totally forgot about it to be honest :doh:. Thank you Marie, for reminding me!

 

To be fair to myself, the past couple of weeks have been rough, we had a loss in the family :cry2:.

 

I'm reading The Pillars of the Earth together with a friend, all through February, and each day I am planning to read the assigned pages/chapters. So I will be reading that on the read-a-thon Friday, Saturday and Sunday too. I'm currently also reading Boys Don't Cry but I expect to have that finished before the weekend. I'll have to see which of my graphic novels, graphic memoirs, comics, illustrated children's books, I feel like reading.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/02/2021 at 10:32 AM, Athena said:

, the past couple of weeks have been rough, we had a loss in the family :cry2:

I’m so sorry to hear that :( please take extra good care of yourself:hug:

 

On 02/02/2021 at 6:42 PM, Marie H said:

I'm looking forward to the Feb read-a-thon, as it looks like wintery weather this weekend, so it will be nice to be all cosy reading time.

I was thinking the same thing, although I was hoping we’d get some snow and it doesn’t look like we are now, just rain!

 

 

I thought I was going to be finishing The Cuckoo Wood for the start of the read-a-thon but I finished it last night, so now I need to decide what to read next! 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This weekend I will be reading books by authors I really like, rather than the books I should read. *metaphorically throws a few book over her shoulder*

 

So I have a handful of Rivers of London novella/graphic novels to read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Snow's forecast for the weekend!

It says 90% chance of rain tomorrow and then just cloudy on Sunday for me! Maybe they’ll be wrong and we will get some snow. Fingers crossed!

 

26 minutes ago, Marie H said:

This weekend I will be reading books by authors I really like, rather than the books I should read. *metaphorically throws a few book over her shoulder*

 

So I have a handful of Rivers of London novella/graphic novels to read.

This sounds like an excellent idea :) 

 

I decided to go for another detective novel / mystery, because I’ve been enjoying those recently. I do have a few on my shelf so I just went with the first one to catch my eye, which was The Frightened Man by Kenneth Cameron. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marie H said:

 

I have a handful of Rivers of London novella/graphic novels to read.

 

 

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

 

This sounds like an excellent idea :) 

 

 

Seconded! 

 

I'm about ready for a new Rivers of London story, not long to go now... (18th March!)

 

Weather here should be rain all day tomorrow and snow all day Sunday, so a spot of reading may be a good idea - once the live cricket is over!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2021 at 7:40 PM, Raven said:

 

Weather here should be rain all day tomorrow and snow all day Sunday, so a spot of reading may be a good idea - once the live cricket is over!

 

 

Quoting myself, what a narcissist...

 

Turns out the Met Office cannot predict the weather as I woke up to sunshine today, and it only started raining lightly just as the sun was setting (they've also changed their forecast for tomorrow, dialling back on the predicted levels of snow...

 

No reading managed so far today! (again).

 

Edited by Raven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Managed a couple of hours reading yesterday and today. Finished Black Mould (Rivers of London graphic novel), and started The Further Station (Rivers of London novella) today. Nice to see Abigail again in The Further Station, and looking forward to seeing What Abigail Did That Summer in March! :exc:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marie H said:

 

Managed a couple of hours reading yesterday and today. Finished Black Mould (Rivers of London graphic novel), and started The Further Station (Rivers of London novella) today. Nice to see Abigail again in The Further Station, and looking forward to seeing What Abigail Did That Summer in March! :exc:

 

 

I like The Furthest Station, it's a good little story (and also looking forward to What Abigail did That Summer!)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My apologies for coming back to this topic after the read-a-thon ended, I've been exhausted and busy the past few days.

 

 

On 05/02/2021 at 11:20 AM, Hayley said:

I’m so sorry to hear that :( please take extra good care of yourself:hug:

 

Thank you Hayley :hug:.

 

Quote

I thought I was going to be finishing The Cuckoo Wood for the start of the read-a-thon but I finished it last night, so now I need to decide what to read next!

 

Oops!

 

On 05/02/2021 at 12:54 PM, Madeleine said:

Snow's forecast for the weekend!

 

Did you get any snow? It started snowing Saturday evening here, and stopped around 15:00 on Sunday. Today they predict more snow fall. It will be cold all week so I think the snow will stay for a while, though if it doesn't snow too much it should disperse eventually due to the wind, traffic, etc.

 

On 05/02/2021 at 6:32 PM, Marie H said:

This weekend I will be reading books by authors I really like, rather than the books I should read. *metaphorically throws a few book over her shoulder*

 

So I have a handful of Rivers of London novella/graphic novels to read.

 

That sounds great!

 

On 05/02/2021 at 6:59 PM, Hayley said:

I decided to go for another detective novel / mystery, because I’ve been enjoying those recently. I do have a few on my shelf so I just went with the first one to catch my eye, which was The Frightened Man by Kenneth Cameron. 

 

I hope you enjoy(ed) it :)!

 

On 05/02/2021 at 8:40 PM, Raven said:

Weather here should be rain all day tomorrow and snow all day Sunday, so a spot of reading may be a good idea - once the live cricket is over!

 

I hope you had fun!

 

On 05/02/2021 at 11:00 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

I'm in! Started my new book today, Bel Ami by Guy de Maupassant so here I am. 

 

Hi Luna! I hope you enjoy Bel Ami :).

 

On 06/02/2021 at 6:31 PM, Raven said:

Turns out the Met Office cannot predict the weather as I woke up to sunshine today, and it only started raining lightly just as the sun was setting (they've also changed their forecast for tomorrow, dialling back on the predicted levels of snow...

 

Awww.

 

On 06/02/2021 at 6:31 PM, Raven said:

No reading managed so far today! (again).

 

Yeah, I have those kind of days too..

 

10 hours ago, Marie H said:

Managed a couple of hours reading yesterday and today. Finished Black Mould (Rivers of London graphic novel), and started The Further Station (Rivers of London novella) today. Nice to see Abigail again in The Further Station, and looking forward to seeing What Abigail Did That Summer in March! :exc:

 

Yay!! I hope you enjoy What Abigail Did That Summer when it comes out.

 

9 hours ago, Raven said:

I like The Furthest Station, it's a good little story (and also looking forward to What Abigail did That Summer!)


I hope you enjoy What Abigail Did That Summer too.

 

I ended up reading my 'required' pages on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, but nothing more. I'm reading about 30-50ish pages of The Pillars of the Earth (book 1) by Ken Follettt every day (until the end of February) (how many depends on the day as my friend and I prefer to stop at a chapter or section break). The book is a re-read for me (a new read for my friend). On Saturday I started West End Girls by Jenny Colgan, which I'm reading together with another friend. We read about 50ish pages a day.

 

Reading totals:

 

Friday:

The Pillars of the Earth (Pages 165-194)

 

Saturday:

The Pillars of the Earth (Pages 194-228)

West End Girls (Pages 1 - 65)

 

Sunday:

The Pillars of the Earth (Pages 228-281)

West End Girls (Pages 66-108)

 

I haven't started a read of my own alongside them, as I'm struggling with things (life) as it is atm.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×