Janet's Reading 2012

Janet

#29 - read May

Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch

I enjoyed this as much as the first book. It has it all, action, adventure and humour in spades and some fabulous quotes (I like this one: “For a terrifying moment I thought he was going to hug me, but fortunately we both remembered we were English just in time. Still, it was a close call.”).

It was a pity that Lesley (recovering slowly from her injuries sustained in book 1) and the Thames girls didn’t appear a bit more in the book – I hope we might see them in instalment three. I don’t want to say too much more about the storyline as I don’t want to give anything away.

Jus finished number three - Whispers Under Ground. If you enjoyed the first two, you'll love this one. Not least because, and it doesn't give one jot away, you will definitely see more of Lesley, and a bit more of the Thames girls (like you, I'd like to see even more of them too!). I still think the first was the best, but I suspect that is as much because it was so new to me - I know a bit more about what to expect now. Even so, these two are worthy successors, and the series remains one of the shrinkingly small number of those where I will buy the new book as soon as it is out in hardback.

Edited by willoyd

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently on 16% of book #3 and you're right - I'm enjoying it very much. :)

If it wasn't for the fact that #1 was a Book Club read I probably wouldn't have picked it up at all - that's what I love about Book Club - it makes us read things that we wouldn't necessarily choose.

Book 40 - read June 2012

040-2012-Jun-19-ThePrinceofMist.jpg

The Prince of Mist by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

The ‘blurb’

It is 1943 and the winds of war are sweeping across Europe. Max Carver’s father – an eccentric watchmaker and inventor – has decided to move his family away from the city to an old wooden house on the coast. But as soon as they cross the threshold, strange things begin to happen. Max discovers a garden filled with eerie statues; his sisters are plagued by unsettling dreams and voices; a box of old films opens a window into the past.

Most unsettling of all are the rumours about the previous owners of the house and the mysterious disappearance of their son. As Max, his sister Alicia and their friend Roland delve into the past, they encounter the terrifying story of the Prince of Mist-a sinister shadow who emerges from night to settle old scores, then disappears with the first mists of dawn…

This young adult novel, which started Carlos Ruiz Zafón’s writing career, starts with the words "Max would never forget that faraway summer when, almost by chance, he discovered magic." And so begins the haunting tale of Max’s new life away from the city he grew up in. At first he is unhappy about moving away from his friends and starting again, but he quickly settles into the new house, despite feelings of apprehension about the house itself, and soon becomes friendly with a young boy called Roland.

But tragedy strikes when one of Max’s sisters has a sinister accident and the past is unleashed and Max, his sister Alicia and Roland are caught up in a spooky adventure which will test them to the extreme and change their lives forever.

The writing is excellent. The book is so atmospheric and the author captures the essence of all of the characters so well, especially the ‘creepiness’ of the titular Prince of Mist. At one point something happens relating to water (I won’t say what as I don’t want to spoil things) and I found I was holding my breath whilst reading!

Bizarrely, although this book is set during WW2, it had a feel of the 1970s about it to me. Maybe it was because I had the same freedoms that Max did and spent lazy summers on my bike! There is mention of the war, but somehow it didn’t really make me think of the 1940s. One day I will get round to reading The Shadow of the Wind to enjoy some more of this author’s lovely prose.

#41 - read June

041-2012-Jun-21-TheHorseandhisBoy.jpg

The Horse and hIs Boy by C S LewIs

The ‘blurb’

NarnIa… where horses talk… where treachery Is brewIng… where destIny awaIts.

On a desperate journey, two runaways meet and joIn forces. Though they are only tryIng to escape theIr harsh and narrow lIves they soon fInd themselves at the centre of a terrIble battle. It Is a battle that wIll decIde theIr fate – and the fate of NarnIa Itself.

Shasta, a young peasant boy was abandoned as a baby and was taken In by a fIsherman. HIs lIfe Is harsh and hIs adopted father Is often unkInd to hI'm. One day a stranger vIsits and Shasta overhears the man offer hIs father money In return for Shasta who he wIshes to be hIs slave. Shasta resolves to run away. By chance he dIscovers that the man’s horse, Bree, can speak and the paIr make theIr escape. Soon they meet up wIth a young gIrl called AravIs, who Is fleeIng from an arranged marrIage, and her talkIng horse HwIn and the four of them head towards NarnIa.

ThIs Involves travellIng through a cIty called Calormen. On theIr way through the cIty they are separated when Shasta Is mIstaken for PrInce CorIn who went mIssIng from a vIsitIng Royal party earlIer that day – when the two meet later It Is easy to see why as they look vIrtually IdentIcal. Shasta Is taken to the Royal Palace where he dIscovers that NarnIan Queen Susan (from The LIon, The WItch and The Wardrobe) Is goIng to be forced to marry the CalormenIan PrInce Rabadash. The NarnIan party hatch a plan to escape. MeanwhIle AravIs meets an old frIend who helps her to get away from the cIty unseen, but not before she overhears a plan for PrInce Rabadash to take an army to try to defeat Archenland (reIgned over by PrInce CorIn’s father, KIng Lune) - and NarnIa. Shasta manages to leave vIa the rooftops of the Palace and he and AravIs eventually meet as arranged where they contInue theIr journey towards NarnIa to warn KIng Lune of the planned attack. Along the way the paIr have many adventures and meet Aslan – wIll they be In tI'me to warn KIng Lune so that he can defeat the CalormenIan army?

Well I dIdn't hate It - but It wasn't a patch on the fIrst two. ThIs book was a stumblIng block for me - I thInk I mentIoned somewhere that I read the fIrst two to my chIldren when they were lIttle, but dIdn't contInue because there was somethIng about thIs book that made me not want to read It. HavIng read It, I'm not sure what It was about It that put me off - It's faIrly harmless. I dIdn't really remember the story as I was readIng It - lIttle bIts of It came back to me but I guess that as a chIld It can't have been a favourIte as I don't thInk I can have re-read It - I know I read the other NarnIa chronIcles quIte a few tImes!

It doesn't really seem to sIt wIth the other books. I know Edmund, Lucy and Susan are In It, and Aslan - and NarnIa appears a lIttle, but It dIdn't really feel lIke a NarnIa book!

The paperback Is 270 pages long and Is publIshed by HarperCollIns. The ISBN number Is 9780007316199. It was fIrst publIshed In 2009.

3/5

(FInished 21 June 2012)

#42 - read June 2012

042-2012-Jun-26-MyBestFriendsGirl.jpg

My Best Friend’s Girl by Dorothy Koomson

The ‘blurb’

What would you do for the friend who broke your heart?

Best friends Kamryn Matika and Adele Brannon thought nothing could come between them - until Adele did the unthinkable and slept with Kamryn's fiance, Nate. Worse still, she got pregnant and had his child. When Kamryn discovered the truth about their betrayal she vowed never to see any of them again.

Two years later, Kamryn receives a letter from Adele asking her to visit her in hospital. Adele is dying and begs Kamryn to adopt her daughter, Tegan. With a great job and a hectic social life, the last thing Kamryn needs is a five-year-old to disrupt things. Especially not one who reminds her of Nate. But with no one else to take care of Tegan and Adele fading fast, does she have any other choice?

So begins a difficult journey that leads Kamryn towards forgiveness, love, responsibility and, ultimately, a better understanding of herself.

This book really wasn't my cup of tea. (mind you, tea isn't my cup of tea!!) - very predictable with no surprises and a rushed ending.

Several things didn’t sit with me. Firstly, I do not believe for one second that Adele would have left her child (Tegan) with her abusive father and stepmother. Her own childhood was terrible – why would she put her own child through that? I know she doesn’t have any other relatives to help but in that situation her little girl would be better with foster carers. It just isn’t believable but was needed as a plot device to force Kendra’s hand.

Secondly, Kendra’s relationship with her boss (and later, lover) Luke wasn’t convincing at all. Why would she allow him into her life the way she did after the way he treated her? The whole idea of him keep turning up at her flat to spend time with Tegan was just creepy, and would Kendra really have forgotten the child and gone out straight from work after only a few weeks of being a mother? No, of course not. As you might have guessed, I didn’t warm to the character of Kendra at all!

There were too many other things that were just not credible.

I'd have loved it about 10 years or so ago but my reading tastes have changed so much that I don't enjoy chick lit any more. It's a book club read and we're discussing it on Tuesday - three of the group haven't finished it, and of the four who have (one being me!) I know that three of us didn't enjoy it. The idea for the story was a good one, but the actual telling of it wasn't so good.

That said, plenty of people do like it from the reviews on Amazon and I'm not being disparaging about chick lit – it’s just that this book was really not for me - and it wouldn't be good if we all liked the same things. :)

My Best Friend’s Girl by Dorothy Koomson

That said, plenty of people do like it from the reviews on Amazon and I'm not being disparaging about chick lit – it’s just that this book was really not for me - and it wouldn't be good if we all liked the same things. :)

I read this book at the end of last year and although i enjoyed it, i did think at times it was a little unrealistic and i agree with what you said about the book not being for you, i dont think it was a book for me either! :)

It did generate some good discussion at Book Club last night, despite the fact none of us particularly liked it! :lol:

I haven't read much for the last two days because of Wimbledon. It's frustrating because I was really enjoying Whispers Underground and I've lost the plot momentum now.

I'm also just over half-way through The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (it's my 'read-in-the-bath' book) but that doesn't take much concentration! :lol:

#43 - finished 1 July

043-2012-Jul-01-PrinceCaspian.jpg

Prince Caspian by C S Lewis

The ‘blurb’

"Look sharp!" shouted Edmund. "All catch hands and keep together. This is magic -- I can tell by the feeling. Quick!" The evil king Miraz and his army can only mean trouble for Narnia, and Prince Caspian, rightful heir to the throne, fears for the future of his country. He blows the Great Horn in desperation, summoning Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy to help with his difficult task -- that of saving Narnia before its freedom is lost forever.

Spoilers if unread...

In Narnia, Prince Caspian should rightly be king, but his evil uncle Miraz killed Caspian’s father and has taken the crown. As Miraz has no children, Prince Caspian will one day be restored to his rightful place on the throne at Narnia. However, Miraz’s wife has a baby – a boy – and immediately Caspian’s life is in danger. He must leave the castle without delay if he is to survive, so helped by his tutor, Doctor Cornelius, he flees on his horse and makes his way to Aslan’s How near Cair Paravel. Along the way he meets some of the talking creatures from long ago of whom his tutor had spoken a great deal. They accept Caspian as their rightful King and agree to help him.

Meanwhile the Pevensie children are heading back to school after the school holidays. Whilst sitting in a railway waiting room they are suddenly pulled back to Narnia. The place they arrive back at is overgrown so at first they don’t know where they are but soon work out that they are, in fact, back at Cair Paravel where they ruled as Kings and Queens of Narnia after their adventures in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. They soon find the gifts given to them by Father Christmas in that earlier adventure with the exception of Susan’s horn which was lost. They rescue a dwarf called Trumpkin who tells them of the Telmarines who have invaded Narnia, driving all the talking animals underground until some of them forget their amazing ability to talk. He also tells them about Prince Caspian being usurped by his uncle Miraz.

The children resolve to also head to Aslan’s How in order to help Caspian fight against the Telmarines. They find the journey difficult but Lucy is sure she sees Aslan, although the others can’t see him, and by following him she leads the others to Caspian where they must defeat the Telmarines in order to restore Caspian to the throne.

At the end of the book Aslan reappears and makes a doorway which will transport the defeated Telmarines back to their original land – which is, of course, Earth. The Pevensies return by this method too, but not before Aslan has told Peter and Susan that they are too old to ever return to Narnia, having learned all the lessons they need to progress to adulthood

I watched the film version of this a few weeks ago, which is what prompted me to re-read the whole series, and I think that watching it probably didn't help, as although it wasn't an exact adaptation it meant nothing about the book was new (I can't really remember the other ones apart from TMN and 'Wardrobe' despite reading them loads as a child) but it wasn't as good as the first two books (in suggested reading order!). However I did enjoy it and I’m looking forward to the remaining three adventures in Narnia.

Nothing to do with my review really, but I was pleased to see Somerset getting a mention in this book, when Lucy describes “when the rich loam had taken the edge off their hunger, the trees turned to an earth of the kind you see in Somerset, which is almost pink. They said it was lighter and sweeter.” I can’t say our soil is as lovely as this sounds, being rather sticky, heavy red clay soil - not that I've ever eaten it! :giggle2:

Jus finished number three - Whispers Under Ground. If you enjoyed the first two, you'll love this one. Not least because, and it doesn't give one jot away, you will definitely see more of Lesley, and a bit more of the Thames girls (like you, I'd like to see even more of them too!). I still think the first was the best, but I suspect that is as much because it was so new to me - I know a bit more about what to expect now. Even so, these two are worthy successors, and the series remains one of the shrinkingly small number of those where I will buy the new book as soon as it is out in hardback.

I've just finished it - and you were right, I did love it! I've given all three books 5 stars - I think #2 was my least favourite but I really loved all three of them. I would love (a really good) BBC adaptation of them - or a British film. As Ben Aaronovitch is a scriptwriter I guess it could happen. I wonder if we'll get any more Rivers of London books?!

I've just finished it - and you were right, I did love it! I've given all three books 5 stars - I think #2 was my least favourite but I really loved all three of them. I would love (a really good) BBC adaptation of them - or a British film. As Ben Aaronovitch is a scriptwriter I guess it could happen. I wonder if we'll get any more Rivers of London books?!

I'm enjoying 2 but it makes me even more excited to think that 3 is better :D I said to Alan last week that they should be made into drama's .. it's about time the BBC adapted something else other than Austen/Dickens (as much as I love them). Ooh will we get any more Rivers of London books? I thought it was a trilogy .. is it not certain then? That's an exciting thought :smile:

It is a trilogy... at the moment. But then having a trilogy of five books is not unheard of, so who knows?! I love the characters in the books and I'm sure there are plenty more London crimes for them to solve! :D

044-2012-Jul-05-TheVoyageoftheDawnTreader.jpg

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C S Lewis

The ‘blurb’

Book five in the Chronicles of Narnia sees the intrepid Edmund and Lucy returning to Narnia--with their beastly cousin Eustace in tow--on the ship The Dawn Treader where their old friend Prince Caspian is searching for lost friends of his father's. As the children take to the Eastern Seas in their hunt for the friends they find themselves embroiled in a dangerous adventure that leads them once again into the arms of Aslan the lion.

This story features Edmund and Lucy – the two youngest Pevensie children – and their irritating cousin, a boy “ called Eustace Clarance Scrubb and he almost deserved it…” (which is a cracking opening line!). Peter is staying with Professor Kirke (with whom the children stayed in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and Susan is in America with her parents, having both been told by Aslan at the end of Prince Caspian that they wouldn’t come to Narnia again.

Edmund and Lucy are sent to stay with their cousin Eustace whilst their parents are away. He’s a nasty, spoilt boy and they don’t relish the prospect of their stay at all. One day they are in Lucy’s room arguing about a picture of a boat hanging on the bedroom wall, which Lucy says looks like a Narnian vessel and Eustace is taking the rise out of them as, of course, he doesn’t believe in the existence of Narnia. However, the picture becomes a door to Narnia and soon draws the children in!

On the ship – the Dawn Treader – they find King Caspian. He is on a journey to find the end of the world in order to find out what happened to the seven Lords sent out by his evil uncle Miraz (whom Caspian and the Pevensies defeated in the previous book) who failed to return. Caspian asks the children to come along, and so begins their adventure – and the reformation of Eustace!

I think this is probably my third favourite of the Narnia books (the first two faves being The Lion, the Witch the Wardrobe and The Magician’s Nephew). The journey takes them on many adventures, told as standalone stories with a moral.

At the end of this story, Edmund and Lucy are told that they won’t return to Narnia.

One thing that amused me was the way that Eustace’s parents are described ‘progressively’ as “up-to-date and advanced people [who were] vegetarians, non-smokers and teetotallers and wore a special kind of underclothes”! :lol:

I liked The Voyage of the Dawn Treader too .. I'd put it third also (behind the same two :smile:) though there was another one I enjoyed .. The Silver Chair I think but I'm not sure now. Have you seen the films Janet? I saw TVOTDT at the cinema a year or so back in 3D and enjoyed it .. the boy that played Eustace was outstanding.

No, I haven't seen the The Voyage of the Dawn Treader film, Kay. I'd like to (I'm hoping my friend might buy it for her children as they have the first three in the set!!). I'd love to see how it translates to film. :)

I finished The Silver Chair a couple of days ago - I've also just finished A Month in the Country by J L Carr thoughts to follow on both eventually. :)

045-2012-Jul-10-TheSilverChair.jpg

The Silver Chair by C S Lewis

The ‘blurb’

"Quick!" said Eustace. "Hold hands! We mustn't get separated!" And before Jill quite knew what was happening, he had pulled her out of the door, out of the school grounds, out of England, out of our whole world into That Place.

Eustace and Jill are whisked to the land of Narnia where Aslan, the great Lion, needs their help to find the missing Prince Rilian. Teaming up with Puddleglum, the Marsh Wiggle, the search takes them through some of the most dangerous underland of Narnia. Even if they attain their goal, it can only be the start of further trouble.

The penultimate Narnia book in ‘reading order’ sees Eustace (from The Voyage of the Dawn Treader) enter Narnia again to help find Price Rilian, King Caspian the tenth’s son, who has been missing for some years. This time Eustace takes with him a school acquaintance called Jill Pole. Jill is being bullied at their laid-back, progressive school and Eustace finds her crying and hiding from a bunch of girls. He tells her about Narnia and as they run to hide from the bullies, they open a gate on the school boundary and find themselves on a cliff in Aslan’s country where they meet the great lion. Eustace falls from the cliff and Aslan blows him to safety in Narnia. He then gives Jill four signs that will enable the pair to rescue Rilian, and so begins an adventure that will lead them through many perils on their quest to do Aslan’s bidding.

I quite enjoyed this story, if only for the character of Puddleglum, a pessimistic ‘Marsh Wiggle’ based on Lewis’ gardener, Frederick Paxford, a man whom Lewis’ stepson, Douglas Gresham described as "always ready to say the most depressing things and apparently to take the gloomiest attitude to everything while at the same time to expect everything to turn out well." However, yet again it failed to live up to the first two (in ‘reading order’) – the spirit of which Lewis didn’t seem to capture as well in my humble opinion. I am just about to start on the final instalment, The Last Battle

Hope you get on ok with the last one Janet .. it was my least favourite but as it's the conclusion ... I soldiered on with it. The first two were easily the best which is a bit of a shame in a way but they are both very good stand alone books anyway. I only read TLTW&TW as a child and somehow or the other (must have been living under a rock) never knew it was part of a series.

I don't know if they will be making any more films because the last two struggled a bit (and the stories don't exactly improve) but it would be so good if they went back and made The Magicians Nephew :smile:

046-2012-Jul-13-WhispersUnderGround.jpg

Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch

The ‘blurb’

Peter Grant is learning magic fast. And its just as well - he's already had run ins with the deadly supernatural children of the Thames and a terrifying killer in Soho. Progression in the Police Force is less easy. Especially when you work in a department of two. A department that doesn't even officially exist. A department that if you did describe it to most people would get you laughed at. And then there's his love life. The last person he fell for ended up seriously dead. It wasn't his fault, but still.

Now something horrible is happening in the labyrinth of tunnels that make up the tube system that honeycombs the ancient foundations of London. And delays on the Northern line is the very least of it. Time to call in the Met's Economic and Specialist Crime Unit 9, aka 'The Folly'. Time to call in PC Peter Grant, Britain’s Last Wizard.

I took the ‘blurb’ from Amazon and would query the last sentence (it’s the same on the Book Depositary and Waterstone’s websites) because I think it should say ‘Wizard’s apprentice’?

This is the third part of the fantastic Rivers of London trilogy (so far) which sees Peter Grant, apprenticed to the Wizard, Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, investigating a murder on the London Underground. The story also sees a welcome return of Lesley who was notably absent in the last instalment following her injuries in book one and more of the wonderful Thames sisters (although I’d have liked more of them!).

Peter, Lesley and Nightingale – together with various members of the Metropolitan and Belgravia Police and Sergeant Jaget Kumar from the British Transport police investigate the death of a US senator’s son found on the tracks of the London Underground. The murder weapon appears to be a segment of pottery which exhibits traces of vestigia – a magical property meaning the supernatural is involved. The investigation takes them underground, not only into the tube system but also into the sewers beneath the city where they discover more than just a killer…

I have loved all three books of this series and this instalment doesn’t fail to deliver. Aaronovitch is a born story-teller and this has a fantastic mix of drama and humour. I think I said this about book 1, but when reading this it was like I could see a BBC Sunday night production playing out in my head. I can’t believe this is going to be the final instalment of the Rivers of London series – it’s crying out for more. Please.

I can’t believe this is going to be the final instalment of the Rivers of London series – it’s crying out for more. Please.

Any reason why you think it is the last? I haven't seen any indications to suggest this yet, and agree with you, it's just warming up!

I seriously can't wait to read these! Blooming TBR shelf

You don't have to, you know! It's about reading what you want to read!

Edited by willoyd

Any reason why you think it is the last? I haven't seen any indications to suggest this yet, and agree with you, it's just warming up!

I thought I'd read it was only going to be a trilogy - I'm glad that's not the case.

In fact, I've just looked on Wikipedia, and listed under the Rivers of London section it says:

Rivers of London

Now of course, I realise that anyone can edit Wikipedia and I can't see anything on Ben's site, but I really hope it's true! (Although there is no London connection in the title that I can work out - feel free to point it out if anyone can see a pun or something that I'm missing!).

fingersx.gif

Oooh, a post on Ben's blog...

A Clarification....

A question I keep getting asked is how many Peter Grant books are there going to be and whether it is a trilogy, a quadrology or whatever. For clarity I'm going to answer this in two ways...

1) The Peter Grant books should be thought of as an ongoing series of detective novels in the manner of Ian Rankin, P.D. James or Ed McBain's 87th Precinct. There are some elements and story lines that carry over and develop from book to book but it is not a trilogy in the fat fantasy series sense.

2) Currently I am working on book 4 which should be completed before Christmas and published, probably, in the spring. So far Gollancz (Orion) have commissioned me to further write 5 and 6.

Assuming that people continue to buy the books I plan to keep writing them until I run out of ideas or I can afford a yacht(1). I plan to write some non Peter Grant books at some point but I'm having far to much fun with the Folly at the moment to quit.

(1) And I'm not talking about some dinky dinghy with sails I'm talking about a fudge-off oligarch, James Bond villain yacht here.

:doowapstart:

One day I will get round to reading The Shadow of the Wind to enjoy some more of this author’s lovely prose.

Oh, you are in for a great treat, I loved The Shadow of the Wind! I enjoyed it so much that I've been too scared to read anything else by the author :D I'm fearing the other novels won't compare :blush:

Great news about the Peter Grant series by the way! :smile2:

fingersx.gif

:D That looked rather rude to me, at first :giggle2:

(Which now reminded me of the Mr Bean movie, where he learns some new interesting hand gestures in the States...)

Oh, you are in for a great treat, I loved The Shadow of the Wind! I enjoyed it so much that I've been too scared to read anything else by the author :D I'm fearing the other novels won't compare :blush:

I think my Mum has my copy. I've no idea when I'll get round to it though!

Great news about the Peter Grant series by the way! :smile2:

Yes, I'm soooo pleased!! :D

:D That looked rather rude to me, at first :giggle2:

(Which now reminded me of the Mr Bean movie, where he learns some new interesting hand gestures in the States...)

I have never seen it but I can see what you mean! :lol:

Oh, you are in for a great treat, I loved The Shadow of the Wind! I enjoyed it so much that I've been too scared to read anything else by the author :D I'm fearing the other novels won't compare

Ditto. The Shadow of the Wind is one of my favourite books :smile: