Okay, here it is, in all its scary glory! noes-1.gif

• Adrian Plass The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass, Christian Speaker, Aged 45¾
  • Adrian Plass An Alien at St Wilfred's
  • Bill Bryson A Walk in the Wood
  • Chris Evans Memoirs of a Fruitcake
  • Dawn French A Tiny Bit Marvellous
  • Garth Stein The Art of Racing in the Rain
  • George Orwell Burmese Days
  • Hilary Spurling The Girl from the Fiction Department: A Portrait of Sonia Orwell
  • J B Priestley English Journey
  • Jeanette Walls Half Broke Horses
  • Jenifer Wayne The Day the Ceiling Fell Down
  • John Ajvide Lindqvist Let The Right One In
  • Laurie Lee A Moment of War
  • Mary Hooper Fallen Grace
  • Patrick Ness A Monster Calls
  • Rachel Simon The Story of Beautiful Girl
  • Roald Dahl Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
  • Roald Dahl Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator
  • Stuart Maconie Adventures on the High Teas: In Search of Middle England
  • Thomas Hardy Tess of the D'Urbervilles
  • Wendy Jones The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price Purveyor of Superior Funerals
  • William Shakespeare The Merchant of Venice (Cambridge School's Shakespeare)

Pre-2012

• A A Milne The Red House Mystery
  • A J Cronin A Song of Sixpence
  • A J Cronin The Green Years
  • A J Cronin The Minstrel Boy
  • A J Cronin The Northern Lights
  • Agatha Christie Peril at End House
  • Agatha Christie Sparkling Cyanide
  • Bill Bryson A Short History of Nearly Everything
  • Celia Rees Witch Child
  • David Park The Rye Man
  • Diane Chamberlain The Lost Daughter
  • Emily Barr The First Wife
  • Emily Barr The Life You Want
  • Eva Ibbotson The Star of Kazan
  • Fanny Flagg Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café
  • Frances Osbourne The Bolter
  • Fynn Mister God, This is Anna
  • G K Chesterton The Man Who Was Thursday
  • Gabriel García Márquez Love in the Time of Cholera
  • George Orwell Decline of the English Murder
  • George Orwell Inside the Whale and Other Essays
  • Germain Greer Shakespeare's Wife
  • Gervase Phinn Head Over Heels in the Dales
  • Graham Greene The Third Man/The Fallen Idol
  • H Rider Haggard King Soloman's Mines
  • Isabel Allende The House of the Spirits
  • J K Rowling The Tales of Beedle the Bard
  • Jane Austen Mansfield Park
  • Jane Austen Sense and Sensibility
  • Jerome K Jerome Three Men on the Bummel
  • John Skinner Journals of a Somerset Rector (1803 to 1834)
  • John Wyndham The Chrisalids
  • John Wyndham The Kraken Wakes
  • Kate Morton The Forgotten Garden
  • Lionel Blue Hitchhiking to Heaven
  • Mark Wallington Boogie up the River
  • Molly Bihet A Child's War
  • Noel Streatfeild Ballet Shoes
  • Pat Barker The Eye in the Door
  • Pat Barker The Ghost Road
  • Roald Dahl James and the Giant Peach
  • Roald Dahl The BFG
  • Robert Louis Stevenson Treasure Island
  • Sally Gardner I, Coriander
  • Sally Magnusson Family Life
  • Sebastian Faulks On Green Dolphin Street
  • Simon Brett Mrs Pargeter's Point of Honour
  • Stan Barstow A Kind of Loving
  • Steig Larsson The Girl Who Kicked a Hornet's Nest
  • Stephen Fry The Fry Chronicles
  • Sue Gee The Mysteries of Glass
  • Thomas Hardy Far From the Madding Crowd
  • Virginia Woolf The Common Reader
  • W Somerset Maugham The Travel Books of W Somerset Maugham
  • William Golding The Lord of the Flies

PLAYS

• William Shakespeare A Midsummer Night's Dream (Cambridge School's Shakespeare)
  • William Shakespeare Hamlet (Cambridge School's Shakespeare)
  • William Shakespeare Romeo and Juliet (Cambridge School's Shakespeare)
  • William Shakespeare The Comedy of Errors (Cambridge School's Shakespeare)
  • William Shakespeare The Life and Death of King John
  • William Shakespeare The Merry Wives of Windsor (Cambridge School's Shakespeare)
  • William Shakespeare Twelfth Night (Cambridge School's Shakespeare)

Sadly the numbers didn't copy across (they've turned into bullet points!) but there are 84 in total!

Two on your list stand out (to me) as being utterly brilliant - The Art of Racing in the Rain and The Forgotten Garden. Two of my favorite reads this year. :smile: Good luck in getting through them. I'm too scared to even list mine - I don't want to face it. :hide:

• Thomas Hardy Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Awww .. poor Janet :empathy: ... ;):D

Some crackers there ... you are guaranteed lots of pleasure.

As for The Art of Racing in the Rain .. that's a book that fits in very nicely with what I have in mind for the November Reading Circle so hold your horses Janet (I'm giving you loads of clues :D) it might just be chosen :)

Some good sounding books there Janet. I have a suggestion, I noticed a few classics in there, they should be available free on kindle so you could download those and bin the tree book that would remove a few from your list.

Awww .. poor Janet :empathy:;)

Some crackers there ... you are guaranteed lots of pleasure.

Not a favourite then, Kay?!! :giggle2: I saw the most recent adaptation of Tess a few years ago and loved it.

As for The Art of Racing in the Rain .. that's a book that fits in very nicely with what I have in mind for the November Reading Circle so hold your horses Janet (I'm giving you loads of clues ) it might just be chosen

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more! ;)

Some good sounding books there Janet. I have a suggestion, I noticed a few classics in there, they should be available free on kindle so you could download those and bin the tree book that would remove a few from your list.

Ah, that's a really good idea - I will look into that, thanks. :)

:o:wibbly: I'm not usually in favour of capital punishment :D

Try not to panic - I expect I'll take any I get rid of to a charity shop - I'm not totally heartless! :P

Two on your list stand out (to me) as being utterly brilliant - The Art of Racing in the Rain and The Forgotten Garden. Two of my favorite reads this year. :smile: Good luck in getting through them. I'm too scared to even list mine - I don't want to face it. :hide:

I'm really sorry - I missed your post. I'm looking forward to both - I enjoyed one of Kate Morton's previous books (but I can't remember the title :blush: so I have high hopes for The Forgotten Garden. :)

That's ok Janet. :smile: Kate Morton was quite well known for The House at Riverton, but a lot of reviews said that The Forgotten Garden was even better, so I read that one instead. One day I'll get around to The House at Riverton, so I can compare the two and see if I like them both equally.

Not a favourite then, Kay?!! :giggle2:

Well I must admit it's not Janet .. but I'm in the minority though so chances are you'll love it.

I saw the most recent adaptation of Tess a few years ago and loved it.

The Justine Waddell one? I saw that and thought it was quite good because Justine made me forgive Tess in ways I couldn't quite in the book (for being an awful drip I mean :D) I still wanted to kick Angel until his teeth rattled though :D

Try not to panic - I expect I'll take any I get rid of to a charity shop - I'm not totally heartless! :P

Phew .. I knew you could never be cruel to a book Janet :friends0:

That's ok Janet. :smile: Kate Morton was quite well known for The House at Riverton, but a lot of reviews said that The Forgotten Garden was even better, so I read that one instead. One day I'll get around to The House at Riverton, so I can compare the two and see if I like them both equally.

The House at Riverton!! Thanks - I still couldn't remember what it was called! I did enjoy it. :)

Well I must admit it's not Janet .. but I'm in the minority though so chances are you'll love it.

The Justine Waddell one? I saw that and thought it was quite good because Justine made me forgive Tess in ways I couldn't quite in the book (for being an awful drip I mean :D) I still wanted to kick Angel until his teeth rattled though :D

Phew .. I knew you could never be cruel to a book Janet :friends0:

I haven't seen that version, Kay. There was a newer one made/shown in 2008 which starred someone called Gemma Arterton (no idea what else she's been in either before or since!) which was great. If I'm remembering correctly Ruth Jones (of Gavin and Stacey fame) played Tess's mother in it and was really good.

I'm really sorry - I missed your post. I'm looking forward to both - I enjoyed one of Kate Morton's previous books (but I can't remember the title :blush: so I have high hopes for The Forgotten Garden. :)

I enjoyed The Forgotten Garden even more than The House at Riverton which I thoroughly enjoyed... Don't be in a rush to read The Distant Hours though, I was so looking forward to it that I bought the hardback as soon as it was published, but was left very disappointed, the story was good but far too long and over stretched, just my opinion though :)

I am now resolving - once again - to buy fewer books. For the remainder of this year I am going to do my best to reduce my 'to read' pile which must be in excess 50 unread books, taking into account previous years.

<snip>

Claire gets a mention here - she's inspirational, having reduced her own 'to read' pile into single figures!!! I'm not sure how well I'll do at it - as you can clearly tell, my willpower is pathetic - but I will give it my best shot.

It didn't take me long to fail, did it?! :blush::giggle2:

I bought A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness on Saturday! I got the beautiful illustrated copy (I don't know if there is an unbeautiful, unillustrated version!!). So many people on here, including Michelle and Kay, have recommended it to me.

I met with Michelle and her youngest daughter in Bluewater on Saturday for a coffee and of course it involved a trip to Waterstone's...! I had a lovely time with them and I don't regret buying this as I love the sound of it (and I was sort of on holiday so it was a sort of holiday present to myself) but I must try harder!

Ah well, back on the bandwagon!

Bath's not that close to me, so it's a once in a while trip, but always make sure I go to Mr B's and Topping & Co, but have to buy at least one book from them, just because they are both so lovely. I'm probably due for another Bath visit soon, but at least by then I'll have finished my challenge and will be able to buy books guilt free. :lol:

I bought A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness on Saturday! I got the beautiful illustrated copy (I don't know if there is an unbeautiful, unillustrated version!!). So many people on here, including Michelle and Kay, have recommended it to me.

I look forward to your thoughts on this as it's something I want to read myself.

• 2 weeks later...

I look forward to your thoughts on this as it's something I want to read myself.

I don't want to read my copy as I don't want to spoil it! :blush: I might see if I can get it out of the library! :lol:

I only managed to read two books in August. :o Adventures on the High Teas by Stuart Maconie, and today I have finished Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls - which is for my Book Club tomorrow night.

Yesterday I read The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass, Christian Speaker Aged 45¾ by Adrian Plass (a friend loaned it to me after I enjoyed a previous diary by this writer - that she also loaned me! It was samey and I'm hoping she doesn't try to lend me more!!) and also James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl.

I finished Memoirs of a Fruitcake by Chris Evans this morning. I loved it every bit as much as the first part of his autobiography. He's certainly had a colourful career and this is written honestly and with nearly all of the blame for everything firmly pointed at himself. I know a lot of people find him arrogant, but the book certainly doesn't come across that way. It's a shame that there won't be any more.

I love him as a DJ!

This morning I finished An Alien at St Wilfred's by Adrian Plass. I just have to try to thank the lady who loaned it to me without her sending me more, which is what happened next time! I really don't need any more books.

I have now read 6/85 from my 'to read' pile - 79 remaining. Small steps...

I know a lot of people find him arrogant, but the book certainly doesn't come across that way. It's a shame that there won't be any more.

I love him as a DJ!

I would have also said that Chris Evans was a bit arrogant, so it's surprising to say that his book isn't like that. This might have to be added to my TBR list.