Janet's Reading 2012

Janet

Janet, I listened to the radio version of War of the Worlds as an audiobook, and I loved it. :)

I have listening the Orson Wells radio adaption of 'War of The Worlds' and think that it works so much better than the book (I think it's something to do with the time frame the book is set in, that really put me off). I would be interested to see how you could put this story into a musical!

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh - I'd forgotten about An Alien at St Winifreds. I loved that one. Indeed. Too many books! Too little time!

I shall look forward to it then! I saw it in a charity shop today!

sacred diary + some time = does not compute. You should read that through in one go. It's absolutely hiliarious. Has to be one of the funniest books I've ever read.

I said I will read it some time, not that it will take some time to read it! I have so many others to get through. I will get onto it soon, no doubt. :)

I have listening the Orson Wells radio adaption of 'War of The Worlds' and think that it works so much better than the book (I think it's something to do with the time frame the book is set in, that really put me off). I would be interested to see how you could put this story into a musical!

I haven't heard the Orson Wells version, Karen. The musical version of WoTW is on YouTube, I believe. Richard Burton is the narrator - he has the perfect voice for it! :)

Did you watch the Tom Cruise version of War Of The Worlds in the end Janet? It is actually about the only film I like him in. For once he doesn't try to be bigger than the story. He does everything he can to save his kids. I like the film.

#29 - read May

Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch

The ‘blurb’

Following the events of Rivers of London Police Constable and apprentice wizard Peter Grant is called in to help investigate the brutal murder of a journalist in the downstairs toilet of the Groucho Club in London's Soho district. At the same time Peter is disturbed by a number of deaths of amateur and semi-professional jazz musicians that occurred shortly after they performed. Despite the apparently natural causes of death each body exhibits a magical signature which leads Peter to believe that the deaths are far from natural.

This is the second in a trilogy of books featuring apprentice wizard Peter Grant. This time Peter must investigate the death of Cyrus Wilkinson who is “a part time Jazz saxophonist and full time accountant”. He discovers a series of similar deaths amongst other jazz musicians in Soho – killed by… well a method that would make the male population’s eyes water just thinking about it!

I enjoyed this as much as the first book. It has it all, action, adventure and humour in spades and some fabulous quotes (I like this one: “For a terrifying moment I thought he was going to hug me, but fortunately we both remembered we were English just in time. Still, it was a close call.”).

It was a pity that Lesley (recovering slowly from her injuries sustained in book 1) and the Thames girls didn’t appear a bit more in the book – I hope we might see them in instalment three. I don’t want to say too much more about the storyline as I don’t want to give anything away.

I enjoyed this as much as the first book. It has it all, action, adventure and humour in spades and some fabulous quotes (I like this one: “For a terrifying moment I thought he was going to hug me, but fortunately we both remembered we were English just in time. Still, it was a close call.”).

:lol: Hehee! I'm glad you enjoyed the second novel too, but now I'm upset to find out it's a trilogy? Only three books? :( Not that I've read the first one, yet :D But I have a feeling I shall really enjoy these novels!

#30 - read May

030-2012-May-11-WycliffeandtheGuildofNine.jpg

Wycliffe and the Guild of Nine by W J Burley

The ‘blurb’

The artists' colony is at the site of a disused mine working on the moor west of St Ives, and it's run by Archer and his wife Lina, according to astrological principles. The newest member of the colony is Francine, a beautiful if fey young woman with a legacy to invest. Archer isn't keen - not least because she is a Scorpio - but Lina takes a more pragmatic view. Then Francine is found dead, killed by a deliberately blocked gas-heater flue. Wycliffe investigates - and soon discovers that several members of the colony have very good reasons for not wanting the police poking into their affairs...

This is the last Wycliffe book published before W J Burley’s death. It’s also the last Wycliffe book for me as I’ve now read them all! It started with a holiday in St Ives years ago when we had a day on the beach and I couldn’t get into the book I’d taken with me (P D James’ Devices and Desires, which I have still not read!) so I went into a local bookshop and as a Cornish writer, Burley had a prominent display of books just inside the door, so I decided to give it a go! Then followed years of trying to track the other published books down - oh, how did we cope before the internet?!). I even wrote to the author and had a lovely reply from him. He told me that Wycliffe had just been commissioned as a TV series and sure enough six were adapted by HTV (the rest of the Wycliffe series were ‘based on the books by…’ rather than being adaptations) and the books were suddenly available everywhere! Anyway, I’ve gone off at rather a tangent!

This book features some characters from and earlier story, Wycliffe and the Quiet Virgin although it isn’t a sequel and can be read as a standalone story.

Wycliffe is enjoying a relaxing bank holiday with his wife Helen when he gets a phone call to say that a young woman at a craft colony has been found murdered. Wycliffe discovers it’s a someone he knew from a previous case – he feels guilty that he didn’t keep in touch with the victim, Francine, the ‘Quiet Virgin’ from the earlier book. As he investigates it becomes clear that there are a number of suspects and as a second and then third death occur, Wycliffe must keep a clear head as he investigates past and present to try to find the murderer.

The books are very easy reads for when you want something that isn’t at all taxing – in fact, they are rather formulaic and, had it not become a quest for me, I probably wouldn’t have read them all! That said, I did enjoy them and I am sorry that Burley didn’t get to complete the one he was working on when he died. I felt this story was rather weaker than some of the earlier Wycliffe titles.

On a completely shallow note, they look very prettyful on my bookshelf and although I am highly unlikely ever to read them again I can’t bring myself to part with them!

xWycliffe.jpg

I really want to read these books, but I have to deplete my TBR first - so frustrating!!! Janet, you make them sound right up my street, and like frankie said, it's good to hear you enjoyed the second as much as the first. :smile2:

Awww, you're doing *so* well - I'm sure you'll be at zero before you know it. :)

I've reserved #3 from the library. I think it's just been released, but it still says 'on order' for this title on the library catalogue so I don't know when I'll get it.

Book #31 - Read May

031-2012-May-14-TwopencetoCrosstheMersey.jpg

Twopence to Cross the Mersey by Helen Forrester

The ‘blurb’

When Helen Forrster's father went bankrupt in 1930 she and her six siblings were forced from comfortable middle-class life in southern England to utmost poverty in the Depression-ridden North. Her parents more or less collapsed under the strain, father spending hours in search of non-existent work, or in the dole queue, mother on the verge of a breakdown and striving to find and keep part-time jobs. The running of the household, in slum surroundings and with little food, the care of the younger children, all fell on twelve-year-old Helen. Unable to attend school, Helen's fear that she was to be trapped forever as druge and housekeeper caused her to despair at times. But she was determined to have a chance asn struggled, despite her parents to gain an education.

Helen Forrester (real name June Bhatia) and her family went from a comfortable upper-middle class lifestyle in the south of England, to a life of poverty in the slums of Liverpool. Her mother, totally unable to cope with the family’s reduced circumstances had a breakdown and her father spent his time trudging the streets, unsuccessfully looking for work and it was left to Helen to take care of the family. This book is not a tale of misery but rather is a tale of hope over adversity. The author writes with such honesty and I really enjoyed it - if enjoyed is the right word. Social history books are right up my street and it reminded me of some of Orwell’s books (albeit from a female perspective) so it’s little wonder it was ‘my thing’!

033-2012-May-20-GobbolinotheWitchsCat.jpg

Gobbolino the Witch’s Cat by Ursula Moray Williams

The ‘blurb’

Gobbolino is the charming tale of a cat born a witch's cat but who would much rather be a kitchen cat. While his sister Sootica learns how to ride a broomstick and turn mice into toads, Gobbolino sets out to find a family to care for him and a home of his own. But Gobbolino is mistrusted wherever he goes, and blamed for myterious happenings such as the farmer's milk turning sour, and the orphanage children's gruel turning into chocolate! After many such adventures, Gobbolino finally finds the home of his dreams.

This was one of my favourite books as a child. I came across a copy in a charity shop with the same cover I used to have so it seemed like fate… then I lost it! However it turned up on the bookcase in my son’s bedroom (which is kind of ironic since he doesn’t actually like reading and it’s mainly for DVDs!).

It tells the story of a little kitten, Gobbolino, whose mother belongs to a witch. But Gobbolino is not like a proper witch’s cat, and unlike his sister Sootica he just doesn’t fit. After being left behind he sets out on a grand adventure trying to find a home where he can be accepted for what he is – but this proves to be far more difficult than he ever imagined.

I read this time after time as a child, and yet I couldn’t really remember the detail – although it soon came back to me. I’m not sure how today’s youngsters would take it (although I don’t think it feels particularly dated) as I don’t suppose it has enough action in it. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed it – it certainly lived up to my fond memories of it.

032-2012-May-18-FiftyShadesofGrey.jpg034-2012-May-24-FiftyShadesDarker.jpg035-2012-May-29-FiftyShadesFreed.jpg

Fifty Shades Trilogy by E L James

The ‘blurb’

The Fifty Shades trilogy features Christian Grey, a millionaire businessman with a penchant for spanking, and shy virgin Ana who is captivated by him. What starts out as a business-type arrangement (dom/sub contract) quickly turns into more and both parties make compromises to ensure their relationship works.

Apparently, having read these books means that my life must be unfulfilled in some way! That’s rot though, of course – for the record, I love my life, but people are quick to judge when it’s something that they don’t like - especially when it's something that has taken off in such a big way. I could make judgements about why people don’t like the book (aside the poor writing) but I won’t.

Anyway… I wouldn’t have paid full price for these books (I’m sure paperback copies will end up in charity shops aplenty before too long) but I was happy to purchase them for the cheap price on the Kindle to get to the story’s conclusion. Okay, so the characters aren’t overly-lovable, but I didn’t hate them either.

The BSDM aspect of the first book (which isn’t something I’ve ever read before) was interesting and I liked the edgy will-she-won’t-she feel of it. I found it slightly unbelievable that Christian fell for Ana so quickly and was easily able to adapt his lifestyle to accommodate her. I’m fairly certain that he would have found it harder to give up his totally dominating behaviour and I’ve liked the author to have explored Christian’s lifestyle and behaviour a bit more. I found the plot device of Ana's 'inner goddess' extremely annoying. Okay at first, but it was so overused it just became irritating.

The second and third books lost that edgy feel unfortunately, but by the end of the first one I had sufficient interest in the characters to want to find out how the story ended. However, this is why I don’t usually read ‘series’ books. The 'Rivers of London' trilogy are an exception!

Great literature it isn’t. It started life as fan fiction, and it shows. The dialogue is stilted and repetitious (I lost count of the number of times Christian’s lip ‘hitched’, and the Holy Crap references were frequent and rather grating) and parts of it were totally unbelievable, but there was enough storyline to keep me interesting in finding out the outcome.

Book #31 - Read May

031-2012-May-14-TwopencetoCrosstheMersey.jpg

Twopence to Cross the Mersey by Helen Forrester

I've read all Helen Forrester's autobiographical books and found them fascinating (like you Janet, I love social history) It's hard to comprehend the poverty in Great Britain during the depression, although her parent's were particularly bad managers of money. I just googled her and see she only died last year, so she lived to the ripe old age of 92, which is pretty good going considering the deprivations she suffered as a child.

Poppy, you're right - it's pretty amazing after what she went through that she survived into such late life. :) I loaned the book to my Mum (who I knew would love it too) and she found the second part of the autobiography in a charity shop last week so that will be coming my way soon. Fascinating stuff. :)

I've just remembered that I've totally forgotten to respond to some of your earlier posts! :blush:

I've tried to like iced coffee, but I just can't get on with the normal stuff. I don't mind the Starbucks frappucino (sp?) (Peter calls it a happy slappy frappy coffee! :lol: )

Happy slappy frappy :D I'm kinda bummed that I only tried 'normal' coffee at Starbucks when I had the chance to try all kinds of new things. But there'll be plenty of opportunities when I come and visit the UK some day, hehe!

Have you ever heard the song 'Forever Autumn' by Justin Hayward? That's from this musical.

I listened to it but I have to say I've never heard it before. But then again, I've never liked musicals. I only like Fame and West Side Story and that's as far as I'll go. (Fame is superb! I love the soundtrack)

I've seen/heard him interviewed a few times, and I liked him, but don't know why I've avoided reading his books. Will definitely not overlook him now though, and at least give him a try.

I wonder why you've avoided him all these years! :)

Well, it's scheduled to be a trilogy so far - but it could end up as a trilogy of five books for all I know! :D

Here's hoping! :D

I really want to read these books, but I have to deplete my TBR first - so frustrating!!! Janet, you make them sound right up my street, and like frankie said, it's good to hear you enjoyed the second as much as the first. :smile2:

Like Janet later replied, you've been doing so well! It's just sort of a shame that all the reading circle and book club books have slowed you down, but then again you wouldn't read those if you didn't want to :)

Apparently, having read these books means that my life must be unfulfilled in some way! That’s rot though, of course – for the record, I love my life, but people are quick to judge when it’s something that they don’t like - especially when it's something that has taken off in such a big way. I could make judgements about why people don’t like the book (aside the poor writing) but I won’t.

I wholeheartedly agree with you and I still think it's better to actually try them than just to go claiming they are rubbish without really knowing it. And if one thinks they are rubbish, and does not plan on reading them, why do they still have to go 'hating on' the people who would like to decide for themselves? It makes no sense to me :D I'm going to try the first book. I won't buy a copy because I might not like the book and I don't want to spend that much money on it, but then again I have a feeling these books aren't going to end up in the library any time soon...

And some people keep saying that the writing's poor. Well, some people say that about Twilight and still they love the story and keep reading the books.

Anyway, thanks for the review, it was a great one. I guess I'm feeling like the books are the underdogs at the moment and I always feel for the underdogs, and because of that I salute anyone who doesn't conform to the majority's views but is brave enough to say they liked the books if they really did :)

I've just remembered that I've totally forgotten to respond to some of your earlier posts! :blush:

I wouldn’t worry – I do that too – sometimes I just forget which posts I’ve responded to. :)

Happy slappy frappy :DI'm kinda bummed that I only tried 'normal' coffee at Starbucks when I had the chance to try all kinds of new things. But there'll be plenty of opportunities when I come and visit the UK some day, hehe!

Plenty of opportunities for Starbucks in the UK. :D I doubt there are many large towns without one these days! Bath is our nearest one – I don’t often go in as I tend not to stop for a coffee when I pop into Bath for shopping. I’m not into shopping (unless it’s for books!) so I tend to do what I have to quickly and get out!

I listened to it but I have to say I've never heard it before. But then again, I've never liked musicals. I only like Fame and West Side Story and that's as far as I'll go. (Fame is superb! I love the soundtrack)

I love musicals! :D Forever Autumn was a huge hit in 1978, but of course you weren’t even born then! :giggle2: I’ve never seen West Side Story! :o I love Fame though (or do you mean the modern re-make? I haven’t seen that either!).

I wholeheartedly agree with you and I still think it's better to actually try them than just to go claiming they are rubbish without really knowing it. And if one thinks they are rubbish, and does not plan on reading them, why do they still have to go 'hating on' the people who would like to decide for themselves? It makes no sense to me :DI'm going to try the first book. I won't buy a copy because I might not like the book and I don't want to spend that much money on it, but then again I have a feeling these books aren't going to end up in the library any time soon...

I typed my review after looking at the customer reviews on Amazon and I was shocked at how judgemental some people are about… not the book itself actually, but those who read it. I don’t really think there is such a thing as ‘bad reading’. Everyone likes different stuff but something like this has, much like the Harry Potter books did for children (and adults), got people reading, and that can only be a good thing as far as I’m concerned.

Two people who I know that are reading it (one’s a work colleague and the other an ex-colleague) would class themselves as ‘non-readers’ and in fact one of them told me she hasn’t read a book since she left school, not even on holiday. Now, I don’t know whether either of them will now become readers as a result, but I’m sure there are people out there who will start to read as a result of these books – and as I said, to me anything that encourages reading is a good thing.

And some people keep saying that the writing's poor. Well, some people say that about Twilight and still they love the story and keep reading the books.

There is no doubt that the writing is not good – Austen it isn’t! It is highly repetitious and a lot of it got on my nerves but I don’t regret reading them.

Anyway, thanks for the review, it was a great one. I guess I'm feeling like the books are the underdogs at the moment and I always feel for the underdogs, and because of that I salute anyone who doesn't conform to the majority's views but is brave enough to say they liked the books if they really did

I try not to read reviews until I’ve finished reading the book in question, so I didn’t realise quite how divided opinion is. I’ve just looked now on the UK Amazon, and the first book currently has 1,342 Reviews – of these, 679 are 5 stars and 368 are 1 star! Now, I have no problem with people hating it and saying the writing/story is bad – but when they start criticising people who do enjoy it, then I start to feel uncomfortable.

One reviewer said something like “I can’t wait to get back to the Trollope book I was reading now…” (whether she means Anthony or Joanna, she doesn’t say :giggle2: ) – to me, that’s just pretentious. I haven’t read any Trollope (of either variety) but just because I’ve read these doesn’t mean I haven’t read some more ‘highbrow’ books either – but then I like travel books, memoirs, classics, contemporary fiction, young adult… - it’s a cliché, but variety really is the spice of life! :D

Good or bad, love it or hate it, one thing I do know is that E L James must be rubbing her hands together in glee!

Plenty of opportunities for Starbucks in the UK. I doubt there are many large towns without one these days! Bath is our nearest one – I don’t often go in as I tend not to stop for a coffee when I pop into Bath for shopping. I’m not into shopping (unless it’s for books!) so I tend to do what I have to quickly and get out!

I think we got our first Starbucks here in Finland maybe half a year ago, and it was set up in some airport :D As far as I know, they haven't opened any other ones anywhere. We'll have to wait and see...

Hehe, we are pretty much the same on that score, I'm not into 'normal' shopping either, but I could spend hours shopping for books :giggle2: Which is hilarious when I know some of my pals would get bored silly if they went on a shopping spree with me. And vice versa, I'd get bored if I had to go shoe shopping with a friend!

I love musicals! :DForever Autumn was a huge hit in 1978, but of course you weren’t even born then! :giggle2: I’ve never seen West Side Story! :o I love Fame though (or do you mean the modern re-make? I haven’t seen that either!).

How have you managed to avoid seeing West Side Story?? It's a real classic! (Oh and when I talk musical, I always mean the ones one can watch on TV, not the ones one has to go out and see). And yep, I meant the original, old Fame. I love that. I bought the soundtrack on some shop years ago and was excited to get home and listen to it, and then I discovered it wasn't the original soundtrack, but just some random people singing. I was soooo disappointed! I found the original soundtrack in 2006 and I had to buy it and it was so amazing being finally able to listen to the real people singing the songs. :wub:

I typed my review after looking at the customer reviews on Amazon and I was shocked at how judgemental some people are about… not the book itself actually, but those who read it. I don’t really think there is such a thing as ‘bad reading’. Everyone likes different stuff but something like this has, much like the Harry Potter books did for children (and adults), got people reading, and that can only be a good thing as far as I’m concerned.

Two people who I know that are reading it (one’s a work colleague and the other an ex-colleague) would class themselves as ‘non-readers’ and in fact one of them told me she hasn’t read a book since she left school, not even on holiday. Now, I don’t know whether either of them will now become readers as a result, but I’m sure there are people out there who will start to read as a result of these books – and as I said, to me anything that encourages reading is a good thing.

I agree. Whatever to get people reading :yes: I mean, I do personally think that the more varied books we read, the richer we are, but not everyone is the same, we don't all like the same books. Some people have more specified likes and dislikes and I have to admire a person who gets totally engrossed in one genre only, too; that's dedication.

I try not to read reviews until I’ve finished reading the book in question, so I didn’t realise quite how divided opinion is. I’ve just looked now on the UK Amazon, and the first book currently has 1,342 Reviews – of these, 679 are 5 stars and 368 are 1 star! Now, I have no problem with people hating it and saying the writing/story is bad – but when they start criticising people who do enjoy it, then I start to feel uncomfortable.

I really wouldn't have guessed that the 5 star ratings are far more than the 1 star ratings, that's a bit surprising, given how many are eager to diss the books vs the people who defend them.

Good or bad, love it or hate it, one thing I do know is that E L James must be rubbing her hands together in glee!

I think that's one thing we all can agree on, no matter what we think of the books! :D

037-2012-Jun-12-TheMagiciansNephew.jpg

The Magician’s Nephew by C S Lewis

The ‘blurb’

Narnia, where horses sometimes grow wings and talking beasts are called to life… a new world of magic, where the adventures begin.

Digory and Polly meet and become friends one cold, wet summer in London. Their lives burst into adventure when Uncle Andrew, who thinks he is a magician, sends them hurtling to… somewhere else. They find their way to a new land – Narnia! But when they awaken and evil sorceress, Polly and Digory are sent on a quest to stop her before she destroys the world they’ve just discovered.

There is a lot of debate about which order the Narnia Chronicles should be read in. I remember having a conversation with a friend about it years ago but I can’t remember the outcome now!

Wikipedia has this to say about the subject:

The Magician's Nephew, the penultimate book to be published, but the last to be written, was completed in 1954. Lewis did not write the books in the order in which they were originally published, nor were they published in their current chronological order of presentation.

So that clears that up then! :P

Anyway, in the end I decided to read them in the reading order as numbered by publishers, making The Magician’s Nephew book number one. I read the Narnia books numerous times as a child and I read this and The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe to my children when they were younger, but something about The Horse and his Boy made me stop. Having seen the film of Prince Caspian a few weeks ago I decided now was time for a re-read of all seven titles.

Digory’s mother is unwell and his father is away, so he and mother go to stay with relatives in London. He becomes friendly with Polly, who lives next door. One rainy day they are playing in the attics, which belong to the whole row of terrace houses and are accessible from each house. They decide to investigate an unoccupied house in the row, but they miscount and instead end up in the study of Digory’s strange Uncle Andrew. The Uncle tricks Polly into touching a ring and she disappears – leaving Digory to take two ‘out’ rings (that Polly touched which made her disappear) and two ‘in’ rings so that he can rescue her. She comes up in a pool of water into a clearing of other pools. When Digory arrives they decide to explore before returning home, but they manage to wake a witch (who calls herself a Queen) and all sorts of disasters follow. However, it’s not all bad news and the children also witness the birth of a new country – Narnia.

I really enjoyed this story. I loved the references at the start of the book to Sherlock Holmes and the Bastable children (who appear in E Nesbit’s ‘Treasure Seeker’ books) and I like Lewis’ conversational tone and the way he speaks to the reader. The story is charming and I thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

I've read a few pages of 50 shades... and decided it's not for me. The writing got on my nerves far too much! :D But then I also found Twilight absolute rot - even though I can occasionally enjoy a book when the writing isn't exactly Pulitzer worthy but the plot grabs me for some reason.

I think part of the problem is we all know it began life as fan fiction (and to me, certainly reads like it!). Although there is some good stuff out there, I have read a LOT of crap too (much like books ;) ) but I think there is still a stigma involved with that, and that is added to the stigma of the BDSM element. I know many people who have suggested literotica.com as a free alternative! The unfulfilled thing is nonsense though - does that mean people who read chick lit are doing so because they haven't had a happy ending?

But at the end of the day, I don't really care what people like to read. I love reading other people's reviews to see what they thought of something I have read or not, to see whether I agree or if it's something that sounds like I should look out for. I've picked up books based on the reviews of others I've hated, and equally I'm sure I've missed out on things that don't sound quite for me. We can't all agree - some people liked Catcher in the Rye for heavens sakes. :giggle2:

I'm glad you enjoyed them Janet, and if you'll not judge me for not reading them I'll try not to judge you for not liking all my football books :P

But at the end of the day, I don't really care what people like to read. I love reading other people's reviews to see what they thought of something I have read or not, to see whether I agree or if it's something that sounds like I should look out for. I've picked up books based on the reviews of others I've hated, and equally I'm sure I've missed out on things that don't sound quite for me.

I love reading the reviews on here too - even if it's not something that appeals to me.

We can't all agree - some people liked Catcher in the Rye for heavens sakes. :giggle2:

They do - I can't understand it! :P

I'm glad you enjoyed them Janet, and if you'll not judge me for not reading them I'll try not to judge you for not liking all my football books :P

Deal! :D

Out of interest, do you read fictional football books as well as non-fiction?

No. For some reason I can't explain, I'm really not interested in them. I love fiction and I love football, but for me the two are best kept separate like chocolate and cheese.

When I read a football book (and I do read quite a few of them!) I'm interested in building up my knowledge of football history or reading about a time I remember from the perspective of someone involved... I'm interested in what actually happened if that makes sense.

No. For some reason I can't explain, I'm really not interested in them. I love fiction and I love football, but for me the two are best kept separate like chocolate and cheese.

When I read a football book (and I do read quite a few of them!) I'm interested in building up my knowledge of football history or reading about a time I remember from the perspective of someone involved... I'm interested in what actually happened if that makes sense.

My son used to like cheese and chocolate spread sandwiches - but I guess that's not what you mean? :P

Yes, that makes sense - I can understand why the fiction wouldn't appeal about something you're so passionate about, and the factual would. :)

038-2012-Jun-15-TheLionTheWitchandTheWardrobe.jpg

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C S Lewis

The ‘blurb’

When Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy took their first steps into the world behind the magic wardrobe, little do they realise what adventures are about to unfold. And as the story of Narnia begins to unfold, so to does a classic tale that has enchanted readers of all ages for over half a century.

Four children, the Pevensies, are evacuated during WW2 to go and stay in a large country house with a kindly Professor. One day whilst they are playing hide and seek, Lucy hides in a wardrobe in a room that is entirely empty apart from this one piece of furniture. Pushing backwards to hide between the fur coats she finds trees inside the wardrobe, and further still snow on the ground – she has (although she doesn’t know it at the time) discovered Narnia. Whilst there she means a faun called Mr Tumnus and goes back to his cosy home for tea. He confesses that he tricked her and intended to betray her presence to a wicked witch, who styles herself as Queen of Narnia who has made it always winter but never Christmas. However, Mr Tumnus’ conscience won’t let him hand over Lucy and he returns her to the wardrobe.

She immediately rushes to tell her brothers, Peter and Edmund and her sister Susan of her adventures but after examining the wardrobe and finding the back made of wood they don’t believe her. Eventually Edmund finds his way into Narnia where he meets the evil Queen. When she finds out there are four Pevensie children she tells Edmund to bring his brother and sisters to her and that she will reward him handsomely if he does. He returns home but pretends to the others that it was just a game. Later, whilst the Professor’s housekeeper is showing guests round the house the four children hide in the wardrobe and of course they all end up in Narnia where they are quickly befriended by the Beaver family who tell them of a prophesy concerning a great lion called Aslan and ‘two sons of Adam and two daughters of Eve’ and there their adventures begin as Edmund betrays his siblings and the race is on to get to the four thrones Cair Paravel and defeat the witch.

There can’t be many people who don’t know this story (don’t all rush at once to tell me you’ve never read/seen it!). The Chronicles of Narnia were firm favourites of mine as a child and the first two certainly don’t disappoint now I’m an adult – I’m looking forward to the rest of the series. :D