Your book activity in 2012

Kell

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have started Report for Murder by V.L. McDermid. It's the first book I have read by her and I am looking forward to getting home after work and reading some more....oh of course that is after I go out for my run. :D

Edited by Shin

I went to a charityshop today, just to have a quick peek, not to buy anything, I swear! And didn't! Only one book. Only one tiny book. I had to get it because it's been on my wishlist for some years now and I found an English copy of it, it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and it was only 80cnt. It's Julie Gregory's Sickened. A true story about a Munchausen by Proxy case. Sick, but should be utterly fascinating, as I like all things psychological.

Haven't done any reading yet today, but I did find time to do a little book shopping.

I got:

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Hand That First Held Mine by Maggie O'Farrell

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell

These are all fantastic books. Have you read Maggie O'Farrell before? If not, you have picked the right ones to start with. :smile:

Started the Knife of never Letting Go - Patrick Ness this morning one of my many kindle sale downloads

Oooh, I bought this one too. Have heard loads about it and can't wait to start it.

Halfway through Into The Darkest Corner & totally gripped now :smile:

Such a great book, isn't it? One of the best of 2011 I think.

I'm about 20 pages from the end of Afterlight, which I will finish tonight. Tomorrow is my day off from studying, so I'm looking forward to doing loads of reading in the evening.

Edited by bobblybear

Finished a couple of e-books on my Kidle today - Stealing Phoenix by Joss Stirling (3/5) and X Y Z A Detective Story by Anna Katharine Green (2/5).

Oh, why did I think that you would want to close off your library in the future from Jasper. Sowwy!

No, I don't want to totally close it off from him. He's allowed in there when I'm there, but not without me. I have a kind of see-through blind that is attached to the doorframe now.

You'd better be scared :giggle: It's going to be a tough ride!! I'm going to strongly recommend you read Howards End is on the Landing, over and over again, and be influenced by Hill's year of no book-buing, just reading what you have on your bookshelves. And forget about buying all the books that she mentions!!

I'm not sure that HEiotL would be very good for me. The recommendations might be too tempting! I really do want to read it though.

I had some awesome bookish activity today! I got A Mencken Chrestomathy from Kylie, as an Xmas present! Thank you hun!

You're welcome! :D Merry Belated Christmas.

Hey guys!

I've been wondering where you got to, missy. *hugs*

I went to a charityshop today, just to have a quick peek, not to buy anything, I swear! And didn't! Only one book. Only one tiny book. I had to get it because it's been on my wishlist for some years now and I found an English copy of it, it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and it was only 80cnt. It's Julie Gregory's Sickened. A true story about a Munchausen by Proxy case. Sick, but should be utterly fascinating, as I like all things psychological.

*gasps* What? You've been crackin' down on me and then *you* go and buy a book?! Outrageous!!!

You've bought more books than me this year. :P

I love that you said you didn't buy anything and then confess to buying a book. :)

No, I don't want to totally close it off from him. He's allowed in there when I'm there, but not without me. I have a kind of see-through blind that is attached to the doorframe now.

I think that is wise and well. It wouldn't be fair to totally close it off from him. He likes watching through the window :)

I've been wondering where you got to, missy. *hugs*

Me too! Where you been at, peace?! :):empathy:

*gasps* What? You've been crackin' down on me and then *you* go and buy a book?! Outrageous!!!

You've bought more books than me this year. :P

I love that you said you didn't buy anything and then confess to buying a book. :)

Well I had to buy that one book, it's been on my wishlist for ages and it was only 80cnt. Like one teeny tiny AUS$! Try and beat that, missy. Besides, I won't be buying any more books as per my rules of book buying on my reading log. I can control myself. Unlike some other people.

:giggle:

Besides: Who ordered a whole lot of books just before the turn of the year, and will be having some book delivery action soon??

Edited by frankie

Bought a few books today, nearly entirely with gift cards -

Dark Matter, A Ghost Story - Michelle Paver (bought due to BCF recommendations, so not my fault!)

Mr Rosenblum's List - Natasha Solomons (bought due to BCF recommendations, think it was Kylie?)

Emma - Jane Austen (inspired by all those on here wanting to read more Austen in 2012)

The Hare With Amber Eyes - Edmund De Waal

Me Before You - Jojo Moyes

The Man Who Broke Into Auschwitz - Denis Avey

Call The Midwife - Jennifer Worth

The Other Hand - Chris Cleave

The TBR pile just grew a bit more, oops! :o

Finished my first book of the year last night - When Broken Glass Floats by Chanrithy Him - a Cambodian survivor and one of the lucky ones who managed to get to the US (this is not one for the faint hearted but is very, very good and really makes you think about how lucky we are) - I am now reading a book based in the Solomon Islands - Devil, Devil by GW Kent.

Whitegold mentioned 'Coffee At Luke's', a book of essays written about various aspects of the Gilmore Girls TV series. I bought it, it has arrived and I am already on page 60. Thank you Whitegold, it's such a brilliant read! :D

This actually means that I have started 2012 with two - that's 2 - books the go! Me, the same me that read less that 40 books last year. :blush2: Between the brilliance that is Jasper Fforde's 'The Last Dragonslayer', and now this Smart Pop book I am well covered with healthy and enjoyable wordage. :D

I'm still working through Fleabag & The Ring Fire by Beth Webb, and also downloaded Broadmoor Revealed: Victorian Crime & The Lunatic Asylum by Mark Stevens for my laptop 'Kindle', as it's free and came recommended in Janet's thread.

Oh no Charm!

After finally writing my review of my first read of 2012. I am half way through a book called You might be a Zombie and other bad news, but utterly true facts. It's a funny book but will be onthe side lines as I am about to start The Girl who kicked the Hornets nest. The time has come to read it :( I am kinda sad now, but it has been sat on my book shelf for far too long I wanna read it so bad.

No book reading for me since the beginning of Dec I believe, no mojo :( This hasn't stopped me browsing amazon and downloading books to my kindle in the hope it will inspire me to read ;)

Sorry to hear that Charm, I hope your mojo comes home soon :friends0:

No book reading for me since the beginning of Dec I believe, no mojo :( This hasn't stopped me browsing amazon and downloading books to my kindle in the hope it will inspire me to read ;)

Oh no thats terrible, nothing tempted you at all (the new Kresley Cole is out in Jan special offfer on Amazon....go on) Lara Adrian had one of her later one 9 I think on the kindle deal if you haven't read that already 10 is the last one I think. what else what else????? am trying to think of books which might tempt you. will go away and have a think

Oh no Charm!

After finally writing my review of my first read of 2012. I am half way through a book called You might be a Zombie and other bad news, but utterly true facts. It's a funny book but will be onthe side lines as I am about to start The Girl who kicked the Hornets nest. The time has come to read it :( I am kinda sad now, but it has been sat on my book shelf for far too long I wanna read it so bad.

Thanks CW, I hope you enjoy The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest and it's as good as you hoped! :D

Sorry to hear that Charm, I hope your mojo comes home soon :friends0:

thank you Chaliepud, me too! :hug:

Oh no thats terrible, nothing tempted you at all (the new Kresley Cole is out in Jan special offfer on Amazon....go on) Lara Adrian had one of her later one 9 I think on the kindle deal if you haven't read that already 10 is the last one I think. what else what else????? am trying to think of books which might tempt you. will go away and have a think

Aw fanks pickle! You're such a star :hug: I'm halfway through reading Witchfinder, Dawn of the Demontide by William Hussey, and I know if I put my head down I could have it finished in one night, it's even pretty good! I also downloaded the Lara Adrian bargain and almost went for Lothaire *drool*! ;)