Frankie reads 2012

frankie

Hey Frankie, I must say I do love looking through yours (and Kylie's) lists as the new year comes around. I've been thinking about taking up some challenges in 2012 because it's something I never do. Looking through your lists I think your version of the Rory List could be one I'd be interested in attempting, if you don't mind me using the list? In any case, best of luck with your reading next year, look forward to reading your thoughts/reviews. :friends3:

Eventhough I've called it 'my original Rory list' or something along those lines, I haven't actually put the list together myself, I've copied it from some website many many years ago. I only call it 'my list' on here as a remainder for myself that it's the first list I have personally started tackling, way before I joined BCF, and this way I won't confuse it with the other lists :) So feel free to copy the list :) I hope you have fun with it, and do record your journey in the appropriate Rory Gilmore books challenge thread if you like :)

I hope they were the ones you wanted! I've no idea what happened there.

*Subscribes and settles back to enjoy frankie's 2012 postings*

Ooh thank you for you trouble! I forgot all about them myself... Don't fasten your seatbelt, I think it might be a very eventless season :giggle:

I'm looking forward to reading through this when I've got a spare hour or two Frankie :D

You're welcome to it, although it won't take you more than a minute every other week, the way I've been going lately. It seems like I never get to actually writing any reviews. I had to literally sit myself down yesterday to work on all the reviews I've been neglecting to write. It was fun though, but it gets tough when you are trying to remember all the events and characters of a book you read 3 months ago... :P

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never finished the 30 Day Book Thingy that I started yesterday, so here's a remainder in this post:

Day 01 – Best book you read last year

Day 02 – A book that you’ve read more than 3 times

Day 03 – Your favourite series

Day 04 – Favourite book of your favourite series

Day 05 – A book that makes you happy

Day 06 – A book that makes you sad

Day 07 – Most underrated book

Day 08 – Most overrated book

Day 09 – A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving

Day 10 – Favourite classic book

Day 11 – A book you hated

Day 12 – A book you used to love but don’t anymore

Day 13 – Your favourite writer

Day 14 – Favourite book of your favourite writer

Day 15 – Favourite male character

Day 16 – Favourite female character

Day 17 – Favourite quote from your favourite book

Day 18 – A book that disappointed you

Day 19 – Favourite book turned into a movie

Day 20 – Favourite romance book

Day 21 – Favourite book from your childhood

Day 22 – Favourite book you own

Day 23 – A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t

Day 24 – A book that you wish more people would’ve read

Day 25 – A character who you can relate to the most

Day 26 – A book that changed your opinion about something

Day 27 – The most surprising plot twist or ending

Day 28 – Favourite title

Day 29 – A book everyone hated but you liked

Day 30 – Your favourite book of all time

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And here are the ones that I did manage to answer to this year:

Day 01 – Best book you read last year

The Last Family in England by Matt Haig (5/5)

(Bubbling under: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Gold by Dan Rhodes

Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

The Dirt by Mötley Crüe

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Dexter is Delicious by Jeff Lindsay

Freaky Friday by Mary Rodgers

Sellevision by Augusten Burroughs

Magical Thinking by Augusten Burroughs

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach

Possible Side Effects by Augusten Burroughs)

Day 02 – A book that you’ve read more than 3 times

According to my goodreads account I've read the following books more than three times:

~ Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh (both in English and in Finnish)

~ Anastasia series (#1-5) by Lois Lowry

~ Bridget Jones diaries by Helen Fielding

~ Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella

~ The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer by Jennifer Lynch

Day 03 – Your favourite series

Who came up with these questions? Have they no idea how difficult it is to choose between so many great series? Have they no idea how many great series there are to be read? Who cares, it's time for the non-annual Frankie Awards!

Winner of the Favorite Foreign Teenage Series: Anastasia Krupnik by Lois Lowry

Winning attributes: main character is superbly witty, intelligent, quirky, lovable and highly literate and happens to have the best parents in the world of literature and the most sweetest little brother anyone could hope fore. Main character is also highly approachable and easy to relate to.

Winner of the Favorite Finnish Young Adult Series: Sanna by Anu Jaantila

Winning attributes: main character goes to US for a student exchange year, and thus frankie learns a lot about America and soon she wishes to spend a year there, herself. Philosophical, linguistic. We also meet chicanos: or rather, Sam, who is every young adult's dream partner.

Winner of the Favorite Foreign Young Adult Series: Making Waves by Katherine Applegate

Winning attributes: learning about the dating code in the US, and getting to read about awfully many young nice guys. Nostalgia!

Winner of the Favorite L. M. Montgomery Series: Emily by L. M. Montgomery

Winning attributes: Emily strives to be an author, despite of numerous obstacles in her path. Good old times, a certain Canadian atmosphere.

Winner of the Favorite Children's Book Series: Tiina by Anni Polva

Winning attributes: A girl who is not an ordinary girl of the 50s-60s: she speaks her mind, she doesn't know how to knit, she isn't afraid to defend the weak, she's a great athlete and she fights like boys and with boys.

Winner of the Favorite Chick-Lit Series: Bridget Jones by Helen Fieding

Winning attributes: The books never get old no matter how many times frankie reads them. Funny, funnier, funniest! And Mark Darcy.

Winner of the Favorite Fantary Series: Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling

Winning attributes: Fantastic stories, wonderful characters, always something new to notice and learn. And Ron, Snape and Neville Longbottom.

Winner of the Favorite First-Seen-on-TV-Then-Read-the-Books series: Trial & Retribution by Lynda la Plante

Winning attributes: Short and to the point, and yet very creepy! Things aren't always what they seem at first. Pure genious.

Winner of the Favorite Children's Detective Series: Bill Bergson by Astrid Lindgren

Winning attributes: Written by the Scandinavian Queen of Literature, Astrid Lindgren. My most favorite young detective with his two friends, who fight the war of the Roses while battling the criminal minds of Sweden. Excellent.

Winner of the Favorite Male Serial Killer Series: Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

Winning attributes: How many serial Killers can you name whose acts can be justified to a degree, and who can turn your socks around?

Winner of the Favorite Female Serial Killer Series: Gretchen Lowell by Chelsea Cain

Winning attributes: it's a nice change to get to read about a female serial killer. The second novel was especially shocking.

Winner of the Favorite Young Adult Series Written in the Form of Diary: Adrian Mole by Sue Townsend

Winning attributes: main character is as neurotic and unfathomable as can be. Includes numerous quirky, incomprehensible characters.

Winner of the Favorite Thriller Series Written by a Woman: Grant County + Will Trent by Karin Slaughter

Winning attributes: Intriguing and scary cases to be cracked by a mixed set of characters, ones that aren't polished to be perfect, machine-like solvers of crimes, but who are every bit as authentic as the the next guy/gal.

Winner of the Favorite Thriller Series Written by a Man: Lincoln Rhyme by Jeffery Deaver

Winning attributes: includes my most favorite quadriplegic character in the history of literature. A mastermind. Incredible storylines and twists that leave your heart pounding. Unputdownable!

Winner of the Favorite Vampire Series: Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris

Winning attributes: the most desirable vampire character known to man - and vampires. Sassy, scary, sinister,...

Winner of the Favorite TV Show Made into Novels Series: Mr Monk by Lee Goldberg

Winning attributes: Goldberg has taken up a very courageous task of trying to make the famoust TV detective seem just as believable in books. I believe he pulls it off quite nicely, and this makes a fun series to read.

Frankie Hate -award goes to: the publishing team of the wonderful Anastasia Krupnik series, who denied Lois Lowry her wish to publish more Anastasia novels! I'm a hater.

Special Mention goes to Lois Lowry, who took time of her busy author's life to answer to frankie's e-mail in which she celebrated her discovery of four more Anastasia novels that had been published back in the day but had never been translated into Finnish, which is why frankie didn't discover these books until the year 2010.

Day 4 ~ Favourite book of your favourite series

I've given this some thought, and have chosen The Coffin Dancer from the Lincoln Rhyme series by Jeffery Deaver. The series was recommended to me by dear Charm, and the first novel, The Bone Collector was amazing. I didn't really think Deaver could top that and was hesitant to start reading the second novel, TCD. When I did, it blew my mind. There were some literary twists and turns which I didn't think could be possible to invent, which makes Deaver a genious in my books. A truly enjoyable and thrilling read, and I guess now again I fear that Deaver can't top this. I'm sure he'll prove me wrong, again.

Day 05 – A book that makes you happy

This was a really difficult one, I don't seem to read that many books that make me happy ../../../public/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif Then I came across with the title The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows and knew that that has to be my choice. My thoughts on it in 2009 after reading the book:

"I just finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. It was absolutely brilliant, a book that I wish to buy some day and reread it. Like I said in the GLPPPS thread, I usually don't like books that are in a letter form but I really didn't mind this time, the letters were wonderfully written. In these letters the authors of this book had managed to capture the personal style and character of each of the persons who were writing the letters.

Edited by frankie

I've been thinking about the way in which I choose which book to read next. It's usually a very random, mood-based decision, and sometimes I feel like I neglect certain sections or subsections of my 'library', and I was thinking about coming up with a rota that would help me remember all the different kinds of challenges and genres that I want/need to get to reading. This is not going to be set in stone, I would only start to feel like reading was homework. So this is just something to keep in mind:

Rota:

- a Rory book

- a 1001 Books challenge book

- a memoir/(auto)biography

- non-fiction

- a book from library that have borrowed, never finished/got to reading but want to read

- a book bought in Australia

- a First Tuesday Book Club book

- a classic

- a crime novel

- a Finnish novel

- a Nordic Council literature prize book

- a book acquired after recommendations from BCF

- just whatever the heck I fancy!

Edited by frankie

Eventhough I've called it 'my original Rory list' or something along those lines, I haven't actually put the list together myself, I've copied it from some website many many years ago. I only call it 'my list' on here as a remainder for myself that it's the first list I have personally started tackling, way before I joined BCF, and this way I won't confuse it with the other lists :) So feel free to copy the list :) I hope you have fun with it, and do record your journey in the appropriate Rory Gilmore books challenge thread if you like :)

Ah I see. I just thought I'd ask, that's all. Also, as you've brought it over from whatever website you got it from, I think it seems appropriate to credit you with it anyway. I've got it all set up with my shiny new book blog that's waiting to be posted soon. I'll definitely pop by the thread as well. I'm sure this will be a great challenge, there's some fantastic books on the list and of course a fair few I've never heard of so I'll definitely find something new.

Edited by Ben

Phew, that first page of posts is EPIC. I'm going to have to sit down during a quiet moment and work and go through it all making a note of things to add to my meagre list. 300 books in a year :o , I thought I was bad with buying books, you do read loads more in a year than me though.

Yay, you've posted, you're obviously not that upset with the Ringo joke! Honestly, I was only kidding, you know that right? :empathy:

The reason why you have more books on your TBR but less on your wishlist is because I'm wishing to have all the books you have and I don't yet own :haha: And you know what? I bought 5 books today (one might not be for me ;)) so it's official, this year I've bought over 300 books. I was trying so hard not to cross that line... :(

Oooh and don't worry, I'm done posting! What a funny thing that your post should be the first one on the second page, all neat and tidy. And yes you knew/know that I have that Mencken book borrowed (no, haven't returned it yet, I can re-borrow it 8 more times hehehee!), I even told you some details about it, there was an example of Finnish English. Can't remember what it was though.

It took me ages to make all the lists. The editor was playing with me, not bolding the things that seemed bolded when I hit 'save changes'. All that sort of whacky things. I'm happy it's done now though. And now I can just relax and read and go and look at other people's logs! :grinhat:

No, I wasn't upset with the Ringo jokes. It was like a joke upset thing. :)

Over 300 books bought? Go Sari! I'm so proud I could cry. Heehee. So that doesn't include books you borrowed?

I was very pleased to be both the first person who commented on your thread and the first post on the new page. Very neat indeed! I think I vaguely remember discussing the Mencken book. Man, there sure are a lot of Mencken books to buy!

I have to update my reading list already with recent purchases and I want to go through and compare my list with my actual bookshelves so I can make sure nothing is missing.

Ah I see. I just thought I'd ask, that's all. Also, as you've brought it over from whatever website you got it from, I think it seems appropriate to credit you with it anyway. I've got it all set up with my shiny new book blog that's waiting to be posted soon. I'll definitely pop by the thread as well. I'm sure this will be a great challenge, there's some fantastic books on the list and of course a fair few I've never heard of so I'll definitely find something new.

We are more than happy to have you in the challenge group! :smile2: I've certainly read books I never would've otherwise picked up, just going by that list.

Phew, that first page of posts is EPIC. I'm going to have to sit down during a quiet moment and work and go through it all making a note of things to add to my meagre list. 300 books in a year :o , I thought I was bad with buying books, you do read loads more in a year than me though.

If you think I was bad, go and look at Kylie's reading log :D She's worse! And the book buying has definitely escalated since I joined the forum. This place is bad on my economy :P

No, I wasn't upset with the Ringo jokes. It was like a joke upset thing. :)

I did think that might be the case but I had to make sure! I can't risk having hurt you and not know!

Over 300 books bought? Go Sari! I'm so proud I could cry. Heehee. So that doesn't include books you borrowed?

No, over 300 books ACQUIRED. There's a huge difference. In my defense, a great deal of them have been bought at secondhand bookshops and charityshops, so it hasn't been that expensive for me. And you've presented me with like 50 books yourself!! And no, books acquired list does not include books borrowed. That's another list :giggle:

I was very pleased to be both the first person who commented on your thread and the first post on the new page. Very neat indeed! I think I vaguely remember discussing the Mencken book. Man, there sure are a lot of Mencken books to buy!

It is just the sort of neatness I enjoy very much :) The amount of Mencken's to be bought is bewildering, but then again, as I'm sure I'll just fall in love with him while reading my new awesome Mencken, I'm just happy that there are so many books to be enjoyed in the future. It would be very crappy indeed to become a fan and then realise there were only a few books to read. Consider that! *miss smarty pants*

I have to update my reading list already with recent purchases and I want to go through and compare my list with my actual bookshelves so I can make sure nothing is missing.

I know you do, you book hauler :D I'm cracking up here! But don't you think your comparing your list with your actual bookshelves will take... months? I had no idea you had such a long holiday off work. :P

Frankie, I'm equally fascinated by your lists. A few questions, please: Where does the 501 Must Read list come from (I can't find it under Reading Challenges, but the title sounds familiar)? What are the Rory lists (the intro on the Reading Challenge list is a bit vague)? Which 1001 list are you working from, as there have been various updates (only because I'm thinking of copying the list onto my thread as it looks a good idea to keep it updated there)?

Looking forward to seeing you finish off the 30-day challenge - that was one of the more interesting ones I had a go at last year (so thank you for posting it on this forum!).

Not certain I would dare list books acquired - although I might this year as in general terms am aiming to keep the acquisitions down and the boost the reading up for 2012!

Edited by willoyd

Frankie, I love your lists! I am going to come back and have a proper read later on :)

Thanks Laura :) I've noticed you've been keeping busy today compiling your own lists which I will have to take a closer look at later myself, as you weren't yet finished the last time I looked.

Frankie, I'm equally fascinated by your lists. A few questions, please: Where does the 501 Must Read list come from (I can't find it under Reading Challenges, but the title sounds familiar)? What are the Rory lists (the intro on the Reading Challenge list is a bit vague)? Which 1001 list are you working from, as there have been various updates (only because I'm thinking of copying the list onto my thread as it looks a good idea to keep it updated there)?

Looking forward to seeing you finish off the 30-day challenge - that was one of the more interesting ones I had a go at last year (so thank you for posting it on this forum!).

Not certain I would dare list books acquired - although I might this year as in general terms am aiming to keep the acquisitions down and the boost the reading up for 2012!

Thank you for your kind words willoyd :) As for your questions:

- the 501 Must Read list I've snatched from lauraloves who introduced the list to the forum in the first place. I believe the list is from a book similar to the 1001 Books list book, although it is set in the form of a few different genres, rather than just be a list of whatever books that are great. I suggest if you have further questions, you nip into Laura's log :)

- Any vagueness on my part concerning the Rory list is accidental and unfortunate, and only due to the fact that I wish to think everyone is in the know of one of the world's greatest TV shows, the Gilmore Girls. Rory Gilmore is the most well read teenager/young adult I know and she and her mother, Lorelai, as well as her Grandfather Richard always talk about books they want to read and have read and make other references to books and characters from books. It's a great show and some of the most fanatic Rory fans have compiled different lists of books that are mentioned or seen on the show, and that's how they've come to be. There are a fair number of GG fans here on the forum and we discuss the show and also have set up that reading challenge in the appropriate section. We also do mini group reads of chosen books, it's great fun :) (sorry for the ramble :D I could've answered in fewer words I suppose...)

- The 1001 Books challenge that I'm tackling is the 2006 version, and that's due to the fact that I bought that particular edition some years ago and want to thus keep to it. There are later editions as you know, but I'm not personally that keen on them because the 2006 is keeping me busy as it is :) I don't even think I have the newer lists, but I suppose they have their own advantages, more books being added to the 2000 section. I'll be interested to see which list you shall go with (you are more than welcome to copy+paste the one on my thread) and which books you end up reading off the list in 2012! :)

Edit: Oh and keeping a list of acquired books can be a good way to keep track of the number of books bought, and even the expenses (some members keep a tally of that as well), but in my case I can't say it has slowed me down one bit when it comes to book hoarding :giggle:

Edited by frankie

No, over 300 books ACQUIRED. There's a huge difference. In my defense, a great deal of them have been bought at secondhand bookshops and charityshops, so it hasn't been that expensive for me. And you've presented me with like 50 books yourself!! And no, books acquired list does not include books borrowed. That's another list :giggle:

Oh now, don't you try blaming me for all those books! :P You did quite well without me, missy. :D

It is just the sort of neatness I enjoy very much :) The amount of Mencken's to be bought is bewildering, but then again, as I'm sure I'll just fall in love with him while reading my new awesome Mencken, I'm just happy that there are so many books to be enjoyed in the future. It would be very crappy indeed to become a fan and then realise there were only a few books to read. Consider that! *miss smarty pants*

Indeed! The only problem is that his books are rather hard to come by and be quite expensive. :( Maybe they'll be reprinted in time.

I know you do, you book hauler :D I'm cracking up here! But don't you think your comparing your list with your actual bookshelves will take... months? I had no idea you had such a long holiday off work. :P

Hardy har har! :P I think it will only take a couple of hours. It'll be easy because I have my books arranged the same way on my shelves as I do in my posts (well, my fiction books at least).

It's a great show and some of the most fanatic Rory fans have compiled different lists of books that are mentioned or seen on the show, and that's how they've come to be.

Does this mean that I'm the most fanatical GG fan because I compiled an ultimate list from all the different lists floating around? :D

Edited by Kylie

Thanks Laura :) I've noticed you've been keeping busy today compiling your own lists which I will have to take a closer look at later myself, as you weren't yet finished the last time I looked.

I've had a proper look through your lists now and all I can say is wow, you have a lot of books hehe!

I've just about finished my lists now, just got a couple of bits and bobs to tweak!

Loving your lists frankie, the Rory list is such a good one .. lot's of great books on it so it's extra tempting. Good luck with it and with all your reading goals for 2012 :friends0: Thanks also for giving us an update on your 30 day book thingy :giggle2: .. I love that you gave seventeen answers to one of the questions :lol: I bought Matt Haig's The Last Family in England from a charity shop the other week .. it rang a bell and now I know why :smile:

I've been thinking about the way in which I choose which book to read next. It's usually a very random, mood-based decision, and sometimes I feel like I neglect certain sections or subsections of my 'library', and I was thinking about coming up with a rota that would help me remember all the different kinds of challenges and genres that I want/need to get to reading. This is not going to be set in stone, I would only start to feel like reading was homework. So this is just something to keep in mind:

When my TBR list was over 200, I used to have them all categorized into an order of reading, and would usually read the next book at the top of the list, or at least within the top three, and it helped me for quite a while, especially if I found I wasn't enjoying a book, as I knew which book I had coming up next and could encourage me to keep going. Since I've been reading ebooks, this has sort of gone out of the window, but having some sort of plan definitely helped me.

Happy reading in 2012, frankie :)

I find the Rory Gilmore list concept fascinating. Because Rory is a fictional TV character. Do you know the history of how it happened , Frankie,? I mean was it always intentional on the part of the series creators? Or did it evolve through fans noticing and compiling a list? Are the shows creators aware of it now? I guess they must be. How much input does the actress who plays Rory have on her character's books? Does she actually read them all herself? All burning questions which need to be answered!

I could never ever do this Frankie I don't like to think about what my next book will be until I am finished the one I am on or nearly so, it would feel too regimented. I even feel pressure from having a small TBR pile, although sometimes I get recommended a book by someone on BCF , which I invariably purchase and start almost straight away.

Yet strangely enough in all other areas of my life I love working from lists, I get more done that way.

Ooh thank you for you trouble! I forgot all about them myself... Don't fasten your seatbelt, I think it might be a very eventless season :giggle:

:giggle2:

Good luck following the rota.

I try to vary what I read, so I don't often follow non-fiction with another non-fiction, or a children's/YA with another title from that section, so I hope it helps you. :)

Holy heck, how did I forget to reply to all your lovely messages? Must be corrected immediately!

Oh now, don't you try blaming me for all those books! You did quite well without me, missy.

Well not really, you've sent me like 232 books this year!!!

Indeed! The only problem is that his books are rather hard to come by and be quite expensive. Maybe they'll be reprinted in time.

Oh heck, I didn't even consider they might be out of print! :( We must start bombing different publishing houses to reprint them! Yes, this shall be our task for 2012. Never mind actually reading any books, just demand publishing!

Hardy har har! I think it will only take a couple of hours. It'll be easy because I have my books arranged the same way on my shelves as I do in my posts (well, my fiction books at least).

That's what I like about your library, that's it's in alphabetical order. And yes, thus makes checking things twice a whole lot easier. But still, with the amount of books you own, it would take a few weeks! There's no arguing.

Does this mean that I'm the most fanatical GG fan because I compiled an ultimate list from all the different lists floating around?

Only if it means I love Luke more!

I've had a proper look through your lists now and all I can say is wow, you have a lot of books hehe!

I've just about finished my lists now, just got a couple of bits and bobs to tweak!

Haha, I think you got as many books from that ebay delivery in 2011 as I have on my TBR :D So you've quite out-done me last year. I bow to the master ;)

Loving your lists frankie, the Rory list is such a good one .. lot's of great books on it so it's extra tempting. Good luck with it and with all your reading goals for 2012 Thanks also for giving us an update on your 30 day book thingy .. I love that you gave seventeen answers to one of the questions I bought Matt Haig's The Last Family in England from a charity shop the other week .. it rang a bell and now I know why

Thank you poppyshake :) The Rory list is the coolest, I've read some amazing books because of it, ones that I wouldn't have discovered other way. And well, I gave seventeen answers because there were seventeen different subsections :giggle: It would be rude not to answer all!

I hope you enjoy The Last Family in England. I guess the fact that I'm such a dog lover contributed to me enjoying the book so much. But there are some valuable life lessons there :)

When my TBR list was over 200, I used to have them all categorized into an order of reading, and would usually read the next book at the top of the list, or at least within the top three, and it helped me for quite a while, especially if I found I wasn't enjoying a book, as I knew which book I had coming up next and could encourage me to keep going. Since I've been reading ebooks, this has sort of gone out of the window, but having some sort of plan definitely helped me.

Happy reading in 2012, frankie

Having plans definitely helps, but only if one keeps to them *rolling my eyes* The rota is just a tentative one. I don't want to be too organisational, it'll take the fun out of reading. And we don't want that, do we? Happy reading to you too, Claire!

I find the Rory Gilmore list concept fascinating. Because Rory is a fictional TV character. Do you know the history of how it happened , Frankie,? I mean was it always intentional on the part of the series creators? Or did it evolve through fans noticing and compiling a list? Are the shows creators aware of it now? I guess they must be. How much input does the actress who plays Rory have on her character's books? Does she actually read them all herself? All burning questions which need to be answered!

Oh boy. I don't think I know any of the answers! I mean, the shows creators are definitely aware of the Rory lists, that I'm sure of. And I do think Alexis Bledel reads a lot, yes. I think she's once said she'd rather stay home and read a good book than go out to all those TV business functions or whatever. As for the other questions, oh boy! I have to get back to you on those! And some other Roryite might want to help you with the answers in the meantime. Guys, any help? :P

I could never ever do this Frankie I don't like to think about what my next book will be until I am finished the one I am on or nearly so, it would feel too regimented. I even feel pressure from having a small TBR pile, although sometimes I get recommended a book by someone on BCF , which I invariably purchase and start almost straight away.

Yet strangely enough in all other areas of my life I love working from lists, I get more done that way.

I know exactly what you mean, I don't want to be too anal about things either. But I have thought about how I usually go for the latest books I've bought. I do need to read the earlier one as well. And I keep thinking some books are so precious that I want to savour them and read them 'til last', but hell, when's that going to be? So I need to start reading those really precious books as well. The rota might help me with that. I hope!

Good luck following the rota.

I try to vary what I read, so I don't often follow non-fiction with another non-fiction, or a children's/YA with another title from that section, so I hope it helps you.

I'm with you on that one, I don't like it if I read too many samish books in a row. There needs to be some mixing up every now and then :)

Well not really, you've sent me like 232 books this year!!!

Haha, that number is increasing every minute! I'm sure I read somewhere else that you blamed me for 150 or something. I would sensibly estimate it at around one dozen. :P

Oh heck, I didn't even consider they might be out of print! :( We must start bombing different publishing houses to reprint them! Yes, this shall be our task for 2012. Never mind actually reading any books, just demand publishing!

I found some interesting links today. I know you're not big on ebooks (neither am I), but I found quite a few of Mencken's works available to read/download online. I know I've sent you a Project Gutenberg link before, but here's The American Language there are a couple of others that I'll send you.

Only if it means I love Luke more!

No deal. :P

I mean, the shows creators are definitely aware of the Rory lists, that I'm sure of. And I do think Alexis Bledel reads a lot, yes. I think she's once said she'd rather stay home and read a good book than go out to all those TV business functions or whatever. As for the other questions, oh boy! I have to get back to you on those! And some other Roryite might want to help you with the answers in the meantime. Guys, any help?

I'm glad you asked for help. Not that I have all the answers, but I was itching to try answering them! But it's your thread and the questions were directed to you so I kept my big mouth shout. ;)

The show's network, the WB, originally posted a Rory list on their website, but it's no longer there. I believe that's the version that has the books split into classics and contemporary. It was a reasonably short list (I think they just wanted to give a taste of Rory's reading) compared to some of the others floating around.

I think some people probably took that list and expanded it as they noticed other books on the show, but maybe some people started from scratch. There is a big thread somewhere on the internet (similar to our forum threads here) where a lot of people were contributing books in order to make a complete list. These lists are no longer just restricted to Rory's reading. They tend to include books that all the other characters read (none read as much as Rory though!)

No two lists are the same. Sometime in the last couple of years I grabbed several of the most extensive lists and combined them into the mother of all lists. I, of course, would like to think that my list is now the most complete. ;) If you would like a copy I would be happy to send it to you. I don't think you've watched the show before, but if you ever do, my spreadsheet also lists the episodes that the books appear in (well, most of them).

The show's creator, Amy Sherman-Palladino, is very intelligent and that's where all the pop culture references come from. She wrote the show as well, so she would have chosen all of Rory's books. I sometimes wonder if Alexis' reading tastes are similar to Rory's.

Yes, I've also heard/read that Alexis Bledel (Rory) likes to read. She also actually hates coffee (good girl!) and she is drinking coke in all those coffee scenes.

I hope that helps!

Edited by Kylie

Haha, I think you got as many books from that ebay delivery in 2011 as I have on my TBR :D So you've quite out-done me last year. I bow to the master ;)

I havent actually included them all in my TBR list, I've got about 100 or so on there, but I'm going to go through the boxes again this year. I've had to leave a lot of them boxed up because I don't have the room for them!

^ All your lovely posts will be replied to a bit later, have to post about my yesterday's book haul first as someone (Kylie!) is showing some eagerness to know about it.

Jane Austen: Persuasion (I had to get an English copy, finally!)

John Banville: The Sea (wohoo! in English)

Djuna Barnes: Smoke and Other Early Stories (this author was mentioned in some book about books and authors, the name rang a bell so had to buy it, it was cheap)

J. M. Barrie: Peter Pan (have never read it, and I think it's one of those one should read at some point)

John Boyne: The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (love the book, had to get my own copy, was hella cheap)

John Boyne: Mutiny on the Bounty (wohoo! more Boyne for me and hella cheap)

Gerald Clarke: Capote - A Biography (wohoo! I've wanted to read a bio about him for a while now, I was happy to find a copy)

Richard Ellmann: Oscar Wilde (more bios!)

Ritva Haavikko (ed.): Mika Waltari - Kirjailijan muistelmia (a famous Finnish author. I've seen this copy of his memoirs in various secondhand bookshops and I've craved after it, but the copies have always been really expensive, ranging from 10 to 20e. This one was for 2e!!! It was a steal!)

Ernest Hemingway: By-Line (wohoo for Hemingway!)

Ernest Hemingway: To Have and Have Not (English copy to replace my Finnish copy)

Jack Kerouac: Maggie Cassidy (wohoooo! hella cheap too)

Jeff Lindsay: Darkly Dreaming Dexter (English copy to replace my Finnish copy)

Edgar Allan Poe: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe (a beautiful used paperback, only 1e!!!)

Thomas de Quincey: Confessions of an English Opium-Eater (interesting!)

Kauko Röyhkä: Kaksi aurinkoa (one of my most favorite Finnish novels, I've been looking for a cheap copy of this for years and years!!!)

Pentti Saarikoski: Nuoruuden päiväkirjat (the early diaries of a great Finnish author, poet, and translator)

Virginia Woolf: Moments of Being (wohoo for Woolf!)

All these books apart from Capote and Pentti Saarikoski were really cheap. About 2/3 of the English titles were only for 1e, which is amazing. I found this great secondhand bookshop where I got like 8 books for 12e. And all the English novels were in English, no Finnish translations, which I'm particularly happy about. A great, great haul!

Jane Austen: Persuasion (I had to get an English copy, finally!)

John Banville: The Sea (wohoo! in English)

Yay for finding so many books in English! Have you read Banville before? I think The Sea was a bit unpopular with some people here, but I still have high hopes for it. It's also on the 1001 list, isn't it?

Djuna Barnes: Smoke and Other Early Stories (this author was mentioned in some book about books and authors, the name rang a bell so had to buy it, it was cheap)

I don't recall hearing of this author before, but any book about books and authors is bound to be good!

J. M. Barrie: Peter Pan (have never read it, and I think it's one of those one should read at some point)

I read an ebook of Peter Pan a few years back and recently bought myself a 'real' copy because I loved it so much. It really is very good. :)

John Boyne: The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (love the book, had to get my own copy, was hella cheap)

John Boyne: Mutiny on the Bounty (wohoo! more Boyne for me and hella cheap)

Ah, Boyne! I've been curious about Mutiny on the Bounty for a while. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. :)

Gerald Clarke: Capote - A Biography (wohoo! I've wanted to read a bio about him for a while now, I was happy to find a copy)

Awesome! I think I'll have to add this to my wish list. Gerald Clarke wrote the biography on Judy Garland that I bought recently, and I think it's a highly regarded biography, so I have a feeling the Capote one will be excellent as well.

Richard Ellmann: Oscar Wilde (more bios!)

Nice! I'll be interested in your thoughts on this. Wilde is someone I'd like to read about in the future.

Ritva Haavikko (ed.): Mika Waltari - Kirjailijan muistelmia (a famous Finnish author. I've seen this copy of his memoirs in various secondhand bookshops and I've craved after it, but the copies have always been really expensive, ranging from 10 to 20e. This one was for 2e!!! It was a steal!)

Aw, it's always so great to find a book you really want for such a cheap price!

Ernest Hemingway: By-Line (wohoo for Hemingway!)

Ooh, what's this about? Is it non-fiction? I'm intrigued.

Jack Kerouac: Maggie Cassidy (wohoooo! hella cheap too)

Woohoo for Kerouac! I've got it on my TBR pile too.

Ernest Hemingway: To Have and Have Not (English copy to replace my Finnish copy)

Jeff Lindsay: Darkly Dreaming Dexter (English copy to replace my Finnish copy)

Awesome! So you're going to get rid of your Finnish copies, or will you keep them both?

Edgar Allan Poe: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe (a beautiful used paperback, only 1e!!!)

Fantastic! I love Poe so much. His writing is just awesome.

Thomas de Quincey: Confessions of an English Opium-Eater (interesting!)

Yes, I reckon this will be interesting too. I think this is also on the 1001 list?

Kauko Röyhkä: Kaksi aurinkoa (one of my most favorite Finnish novels, I've been looking for a cheap copy of this for years and years!!!)

Pentti Saarikoski: Nuoruuden päiväkirjat (the early diaries of a great Finnish author, poet, and translator)

Two more great finds! You're on a roll!

Virginia Woolf: Moments of Being (wohoo for Woolf!)

Yay! I bought this recently too. Is it in English or Finnish?

All these books apart from Capote and Pentti Saarikoski were really cheap. About 2/3 of the English titles were only for 1e, which is amazing. I found this great secondhand bookshop where I got like 8 books for 12e. And all the English novels were in English, no Finnish translations, which I'm particularly happy about. A great, great haul!

I hope I get to visit that bookshop one day. It sounds truly awesome. :D