TWILIGHT Saga by Stephenie Meyer

KW

"About three things I was absolutely positive. First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was a part of him-- and I didn't know how dominant that part might be-- that thirsted for my blood.

And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him."

TWILIGHT has been a success of gargantuan proportions here in the US market. I 'm not a vampire fan usually but, as a YA author, I couldn't ignore the sales of this book and finally sat down to see why it's been so popular.

The story is great.

It's the kind of story you can't wait to get back home to read at the end of every day. At the core it's about a relationship, human and non human, that reaches deep with devotion and committment and unreachable elements that will make you sigh.

I'd recommend the book, but with this warning: it is heavy on the adverbs. As you can see from the little blurb above " absolutely", "unconditionally" and "irrevocably"...I about went nuts with the adverbs.

I was never able to ignore them, because they dot the manuscript like periods at the end of a sentance. But I did read on in spite of them, which says a LOT for the story.

My rating: 7 1/2 out of 10

KW

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You can get it very cheaply online, EshInoBi - I found a copy for £3.75 on Green Metropolis. So, if you feel you absoluteoy can't wait for it from the library, you can always have a quick peek at availability 2nd hand on the internet.

I agree - to be honest, I felt like I'd read it all before in other vampire books. It read too much like wish-fulfillment on the part of the author, as if Bella was a Mary-Sue. I got about a third of the way through the second book and gave up.

I just didn't get why:

Edward loved Bella so much. I could just about get why she fell for him - he was a vampire, glamorous, good-looking, everything a teenage reader would want in a boyfriend - but why on Earth would 'an older man' fall for a seventeen/eighteen year old girl? What would she have to offer him? Her unique 'smell'? That made Edward seem superficial and certainly didn't endear him to me. If they spent some time together it might seem just about believable but Edward seemed to fall for her straight away and I thought, "Oh here we go...wish fulfillment..."

I much prefer Freda Warrington's vampire novels. Don't get me wrong, Twilight was good, but not as great as people make out.

• 2 months later...

About three things I was absolutely positive.

First, Edward was a vampire.

Second, there was a part of him - and I didn't know how dominant that part might be - that thirsted for my blood.

And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.

When Isabella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets the mysterious, alluring Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With his porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice, and supernatural gifts, Edward is both irresistible and impenetrable. Up until now, he has managed to keep his secret identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover his dark secret.

What Bella doesn't realize is that the closer she gets to him, the more she is putting herself and those around her at risk. And it might be to late to turn back . . .

Deeply seductive and irresistibly compelling, Twilight is an extraordinary love story that will stay with you long after you have turned the page.

I'd give the book a 9/10, certainly an excellent book that had me turning each page with more anticipation than the next.

Note to the Mods: I wasn't sure were to put this thread, feel free to move if necessary.

I read Twilight a few weeks ago and although it was good, I agree with the others and found it wasn't as great as people make out. I found it quite drawn out and I found the dialogue between Edward and Bella a bit dull.

I see that my post has been moved. (:

Glad this thread has been made, love the books and really looking foreward to Breaking Dawn - August the 2nd. :tong:

I see that my post has been moved. (:

Glad this thread has been made, love the books and really looking foreward to Breaking Dawn - August the 2nd. :tong:

I loved book one. What the author did particularly well was rack up the erotic (if that is the right word) tension between Bella and Edward without ever going below the neck. A lot of romance writers could learn a great deal from Stephenie Myer on that front. IMO it particularly hit the spot with reference to that swimmy, angsty, adolescent feeling of first love. I won't say it was a perfect novel but it's very rare these days for me to actually read while I'm stirring saucepans and supposed to be cooking - and Twilight did that for me.

I wasn't quite a struck on New Moon, but it's still a page turner. I've yet to read Eclipse, but a reading buddy seems to think that characters 'chuckle' rather too much in it. Same reading buddy has raved over The Host, so I am definitely heading to buy that one!

I've now read the second book. The story structure felt pretty much identical. I felt like I was reading the same book. But not bad. I'm in no hurry to read the third one; I'll read it when I get around to it.

There's a film of this book comnig out at the end of the year - the male lead is played by Robert pattinson, who played Cedric Diggory in the Harry Potter films...

Details HERE.

I have to admit that the only reason I read the Twilight series was because Robert Pattinson has the role of Edward Cullen and he is absolutely gorgeous :D.

But once I started reading them I was hooked and read all three books in about 4 days and I am desperate for 2nd of August to come for the next book.

I do hope that S.M gets rid of that awful Jacob Black cos he just ruins the book for me personally.

x x

the male lead is played by Robert pattinson, who played Cedric Diggory in the Harry Potter films...

Mmm, might have to check that out. I was always disappointed Cedric (or should I say, Robert) didn't get a bigger role in the movies. :D

Mmm, might have to check that out. I was always disappointed Cedric (or should I say, Robert) didn't get a bigger role in the movies. :D

Haha you and me both!