The Last Film You Saw ~ Part 2

Chrissy

We watched The Ghost Writer, based on a book by Robert Harris. We'd seen it when it came out and bought the DVD to watch atain. Good story. Twist ending.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I watched a few films during a very lazy bank holiday weekend!

Stealing Sinatra - low-budget movie, but it stars William Macy, who makes any film worth watching. It's based on events when Frank Sinatra Jr was kidnapped, back in 1963. The film is entertaining enough.

Sylvia Scarlett - it pains me to say this about any movie starring Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn, but this film is really just not very good. Grant has a terrible Cockney accent, and Hepburn seems to overact terribly (and both of these actors are favourites of mine usually). It's near the beginning of both of their careers, and worth watching if only to see how much they improved with classics like Bringing Up Baby and The Philadelphia Story.

Mogambo - Clark Gable, Ava Gardner and Grace Kelly get steamy in Kenya. Really enjoyed this film.

Force of Arms - WWII movie with a romantic backdrop - or a romantic movie with a WWII backdrop; I'm not sure which this film is. But William Holden is in it, and he was such a beautiful man before alcohol ravaged his looks, as well as being an under-rated actor. I liked this - a lot.

Sylvia Scarlett - it pains me to say this about any movie starring Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn, but this film is really just not very good. Grant has a terrible Cockney accent, and Hepburn seems to overact terribly (and both of these actors are favourites of mine usually). It's near the beginning of both of their careers, and worth watching if only to see how much they improved with classics like Bringing Up Baby and The Philadelphia Story.

It's known to be a bit of a turkey though isn't it? Katharine in particular is just terrible in it .. but then you watch the other two you mentioned and you can forgive them anything.

I watched Flushed Away too on TV and .. though I've seen it before .. loved it. I saw Monsters Vs Aliens for the first time and hated it .. fell asleep actually but Alan said I didn't miss a thing. Also saw Whistle Down the Wind and Rear Window .. both fantastic.

The Others

Brilliant film. Did you like it Sofia?

Break-up. I don't know why I bothered. I guess I expected it to be good :rolleyes:

But it had the world's greatest living actress in it Frankie.! It must have been that Vince Vaughn bloke who ruined it.

But it had the world's greatest living actress in it Frankie.! It must have been that Vince Vaughn bloke who ruined it.

I don't care how great Jennifer Aniston is (and really, I love her!), she should pick better movies!! I've only ever liked her in Bruce Almighty and He's Just Not That Into You.

I don't care how great Jennifer Aniston is (and really, I love her!), she should pick better movies!! I've only ever liked her in Bruce Almighty and He's Just Not That Into You.

My exwife and I used to amuse ourselves greatly by imagining Jennifer Aniston in the film roles of Angelina Jolie. For instance can you see JA as Lara Croft or as Salt? We used to laugh ourselves fit to bust.

On the other hand try to imagine Angelina Jolie as Rachel in Friends ?. She would just be the cow who stole everybodies boyfriends; she was not designed for female company.

Edited by vodkafan

It's known to be a bit of a turkey though isn't it? Katharine in particular is just terrible in it .. but then you watch the other two you mentioned and you can forgive them anything.

I watched Flushed Away too on TV and .. though I've seen it before .. loved it. I saw Monsters Vs Aliens for the first time and hated it .. fell asleep actually but Alan said I didn't miss a thing. Also saw Whistle Down the Wind and Rear Window .. both fantastic.

Oh Rear Window, is brilliant! But be careful not to watch the remake with Christopher Reeve - it is truly dire. I don't like having to say that because I have such respect for the way Christopher Reeve lived his life with such dignity after that awful accident, but the only good thing I can say about the remake is that it probably (hopefully) made him some money.

My exwife and I used to amuse ourselves greatly by imagining Jennifer Aniston in the film roles of Angelina Jolie. For instance can you see JA as Lara Croft or as Salt? We used to laugh ourselves fit to bust.

On the other hand try to imagine Angelina Jolie as Rachel in Friends ?. She would just be the cow who stole everybodies boyfriends; she was not designed for female company.

I actually believe Jennifer Aniston is a gifted comedy actress, although I agree that she should pick her films better; she is very typecast. I've always thought that Angelina Jolie is WAY over-rated in terms of both looks and talent.

Edited by Ruth

I actually believe Jennifer Aniston is a gifted comedy actress, although I agree that she should pick her films better; she is very typecast. I've always thought that Angelina Jolie is WAY over-rated in terms of both looks and talent.

I thought the best film that Jennifer Aniston has made so far was The Good Girl. Agreed she should pick her films a bit better- way too many vacuous comedies that are all the same. I think Chandler had the same problem when he switched to films- he always plays Chandler. He made one with Salma Hayek that was quite good, but he was still Chandler.

Jolie probably is a bit over-rated now, I think she pushed herself to act well when she was younger (Girl Interrupted) but now she knows she can earn a lot of money just from her looks on-screen she doesn't try.

Could Jennifer play other roles though? .. could she play Queen Victoria or Galadriel or Sylvia Plath or whoever? I'm imagining she doesn't get offered those sort of roles otherwise surely she'd take them just to show us what she can do because whenever I see her in a film .. and admittedly I haven't seen her in many .. she is playing a version of Rachel. She and Kate Hudson are fighting for the same parts .. or so it seems to me.

As for Angelina .. she hasn't impressed me much with her acting but as for her looks .. I guess that's for the guys to say .. I can see that she's a bit of a femme fatale.

I think I've seen a bit of the remake of Rear Window Ruth :o .. poor Christopher (RIP :()

As for Angelina .. she hasn't impressed me much with her acting but as for her looks .. I guess that's for the guys to say .. I can see that she's a bit of a femme fatale.

I think I've seen a bit of the remake of Rear Window Ruth :o .. poor Christopher (RIP :()

Have you seen Jolie in The Changling? She was quite good.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - an absolute joy, but how could it be anything else with a cast including Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Bill Nighy and Celia Imrie.

I saw this a few weeks ago and thought it was a great film.

The Others is one of my favorites as well, Sofia! Just the kind of creepy movie I like.

Blech, Kate Hudson. Ditto to what you said, Poppy, plus she stole Matt from us :angry:.

I watched Crazy, Stupid, Love 2 nights ago and yeah, the movie itself was okay. Ryan Gosling however? Holy hell I would watch that movie every day and twice on Sunday just to watch him :giggle:

The Others is one of my favorites as well, Sofia! Just the kind of creepy movie I like.

Blech, Kate Hudson. Ditto to what you said, Poppy, plus she stole Matt from us :angry:.

I watched Crazy, Stupid, Love 2 nights ago and yeah, the movie itself was okay. Ryan Gosling however? Holy hell I would watch that movie every day and twice on Sunday just to watch him :giggle:

I also really like Paranormal Activity...all of them...you?

We did indeed watch Baz Luhrmann's William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet this evening. First time I've seen it in ages, had completely forgotten how great Claire Danes was in it, and the fabulous Miriam Margolyes and Pete Postlethwaite. Fab soundtrack as well, love the choir boys singing When Doves Cry as a hymn.

Unfortunately I'm not that familiar with Lara Croft or Salt (I've never even heard of the latter one :blush:).

:D You are too cruel! (And also perceptive :giggle:)

I agree, Jennifer Aniston is very gifted. I think she was the most talented comedy actress of the Friends cast. Timing was spot on, and the manerisms and everything.

I haven't seen that many Angelina Jolie movies. I have no idea whether that's because I'm consciously (or unconsciously?) avoiding her or if she makes films I'm not keen on. But I have to say she was amazing in The Changeling. Almost made me change my mind about her as a person. Almost! But personality aside, she is a gifted actor.

Could Jennifer play other roles though? .. could she play Queen Victoria or Galadriel or Sylvia Plath or whoever? I'm imagining she doesn't get offered those sort of roles otherwise surely she'd take them just to show us what she can do because whenever I see her in a film .. and admittedly I haven't seen her in many .. she is playing a version of Rachel. She and Kate Hudson are fighting for the same parts .. or so it seems to me.

I also think she doesn't get offered more serious roles, only the comedy ones. Which is a real shame. I think she could do more.

Back to movie which I saw last: Last night I watched an Irene Huss movie (based on a thriller by the Swedish author Helene Tursten), original title Nattrond. It was a good one, but nothing spectacular, and the whodunnit bit was, if not obvious, easily guessable.