I cannot read?

Napoleon

I read my first book at 16. I read all the time, I read several books at the same time. But then I lost it.

This has made me fail at all walks of life. Especially academically. I just can't read!

But I want to change it, I want to be able to read fast. I want to.

How do you focus, how do you get the discipline?

Hmm, I have a slightly different approach.

Studies show a positive correlation, actually, between reading speed and comprehension of text. (http://www.readingmatrix.com/articles/bell/article.pdf). They also show that the thing that improves reading speed is amount of reading done rather than techniques on how to read. I agree that reading and people's skills at reading is massively important to their academic life. So, here is some advice.

You cannot start off reading with Chemistry 101. To someone who doesn't feel like they can read, this would be intensively dull and difficult to maintain an interest in. You need to get some books under your belt, so to speak. Go for the exciting things. I'd recommend something fast-paced and exciting that still maintains a good quality of writing, like Dan Brown or Stieg Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The stories are good and the writing technique pulls you in, which makes them perfect starter books for adults.

And then once you can devour books, you can move on to less conventional books that require a little more focus. Eventually you will have obtained a level of skill that you can (with some difficulty of course) apply to non-fictious literature. Even the time you spend reading fiction in the meantime is hardly a waste - fiction teaches us many wonderful things.

So, pick The Da Vinci code up. Buy a decent copy if available, with slightly bigger writing and nice pages (not stamp-sized pocket editions). Make some tea, sit down with proper light, put on some background noise (or not, optional) and start on page one and see what happens.

And remember: quantitude.

I stopped reading after I left college, but a holiday a few years ago re-ignited my passion as there was not a lot else to do and I haven't stopped reading since!!

Try to find something that hooks you from page one!! good luck hope you start reading again soon :readingtwo:

Hmm, I have a slightly different approach.

Studies show a positive correlation, actually, between reading speed and comprehension of text. (http://www.readingmatrix.com/articles/bell/article.pdf).

Fine example here, couldn't start reading!]

And remember: quantitude.

I tried looking it up with no success, what does it mean?

young adult books

There are such a thing? Sounds awful-

Hahah. :)

By saying quantitude I meant you need to read a big amount of books. It doesn't matter if they are considered "bad" books. It really doesn't. Read erotic novels, if that's your thing. Kiosk literature, Stephen King, anything that will hook your attention is a-ok with me.

Once you find something you like, read more of it. And the rest will come.

Good luck and let us know how it goes - what you buy, when you read it, what you think of it. And don't let anyone play elitist with you, we all have a starting point and they are starting points for a reason.

Again, my suggestions would be something like the Da Vinci Code. If that works, he luckily has four other books of exactly the same recipe.

This may sound a bit odd, but you could try hypnotherapy - I have always been a big reader, but when I was studying for exams I found I literally could not read. In desperation (not so much for the exams but because life without reading was impossible to imagine!) I went for hypnotherapy, and after two sessions was reading again with no problem.

Good luck whatever you try :)