Game of Thrones

Karsa Orlong

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ But, to be fair, you've been down on Game of Thrones for quite a while. 

The people who were posting yesterday were largely fans of the series who were reaction Tweeting.  Give them 9 months without any new material and I suspect most of them will be watching when the next series kicks off.

^ But, to be fair, you've been down on Game of Thrones for quite a while. 

True, there wasn't any one incident or death or whatever in the show that angered me like with those people.

The reaction to last night's episode is rather amusing, especially all the people Tweeting they're going to stop watching. 

They'll be back. 

Every last one of them.

Totally agree. If they were actually 'reaction Tweeting', then they obviously love attention...which they wouldn't get if they stopped watching the show!

I've just finished watching the season. I had only watched the first episode, so I just watched episodes 2-10 one after another, with a short break to go shopping. Immediately afterwards I went online to read all of the articles and stuff I'd been avoiding. From all accounts, it appears to be one of the most-watched episodes of GoT ever, and it appears that most people think that

Snow will be coming back one way or another

, so those viewers will most definitely be back. There have been so many deaths, what difference does one more make, really?

I stopped watching at the end of season 4 and haven't been back.  It's quite easy to walk away. 

I don't think I've ever 'walked away' from a TV show in my life. If I latch onto something, I'm in it for the long haul. I couldn't imagine not watching it to the end, even if some episodes (or even seasons) of a show are not as good as others. My curiosity would definitely get the better of me!

Now I have to go back through this thread to find out why you abandoned it (the show, not the thread)...

ETA: OK, you haven't actually mentioned any problems with GoT in this thread. In fact, you seemed to be really enjoying season 4...so why did you stop watching? Something to do with the books?

I don't think I've ever 'walked away' from a TV show in my life. If I latch onto something, I'm in it for the long haul. I couldn't imagine not watching it to the end, even if some episodes (or even seasons) of a show are not as good as others. My curiosity would definitely get the better of me!

I can't do that, cos there's always something else I'd rather watch.  If I fall out of love with a show then I feel like I'm just wasting time watching hour after hour that could be better spent doing something else.  I've made that decision with books, belatedly , as well.  If I'm having to force myself to read a book I'd rather dump it and pick up another  :smile:

ETA: OK, you haven't actually mentioned any problems with GoT in this thread. In fact, you seemed to be really enjoying season 4...so why did you stop watching? Something to do with the books?

It's a combination of both, although I got bored with the books long ago - and have posted too many times already about what I think of them, which is why I've never really said in here that I dislike the show.  But, since you ask,  I can only think of one episode in season 4 that I really enjoyed.  It was the best episode the show had done since season 1, but I was already bored with it at that point and it wasn't enough to make me want to carry on watching.  I'd stopped caring about any of the characters and was getting fed up with all the hype.  I remember reading about new cast members and all the teases the producers were dropping about season 5 and I realised I wasn't at all interested any more, and that was the end of it for me.

I've walked away from a few shows in the past, mostly because I hated what the writers were doing with the characters or sometimes just from a lack of time on my part.  I don't have a lot of free hours in my day so shows I don't love get cut.

I'll admit that I turned the channel on what I assumed was the last scene of the GoT finale because I didn't want to see what I think happened happen.  I know in my mind what went down but, you know, I'll just exercise my right to the Schrodinger's Cat principle ;)

Until next season! 

Well, I had posted months ago about how in love with GoT I was, but after this season I do believe my love has flown away like a wounded bird.  This fifth season felt very different from the other seasons, right from the beginning, and seemed so shrouded in mystery that I felt more distance than ever before.  This is something I discussed with Hubby after the first couple of episodes.  Each small scene from all the characters just didn't seem like enough, and it kept me on the sidelines.

As far as,

John Snow being killed, it would be totally pointless death if he doesn't come back in some way. I truly feel like it is a betrayal to the audience and to readers (I suppose it happens in the books as well). I just feel like there's no point rooting for anyone, and if you can't root for a hero/heroine, then what's the point in watching?  It just proves that you can't ever count on anything when it comes to shows like this.  I have enough disappointment in real life, I don't need this much of it in entertainment.

I honestly don't know if I'll watch again, and not just because of this finale, but because life's too short to be tormented by a TV show. :P

I guess I can understand why viewers might stop watching, but I really loved season 5 and will definitely keep watching. :) My friend, who would usually love this type of show, refuses to even start watching it because he doesn't want to get attached to characters who then die.

• 3 months later...

I started watching this show this summer and finished season 5 last week. I got hooked quite quickly. 

I am glad right now that none of my top favorite characters have died.

But I am a bit sad about Tywin and Stannis cause they were terrific villains. And also, Robb and Cat were great characters. (Btw: no way that Jon Snow is actually dead and gone, they're trying to fool us, I bet).

Edited by Athena
Added spoiler tags, as I could still read what the words said and others might be able to as well.

• 4 months later...

Well the hype is starting for Series 6, I can't believe how much Bran has grown, he's almost unrecognisable!  Must admit I was a bit disappointed in Series 5, but then I found the book a slog as well.  Very dubious about the new series, it will be odd not having a book to prepare me!  I have misgivings that a couple of my favourite characters will go, but who knows?  The worst thing will be trying to avoid conversations in the office before I've seen it myself, wish it didn't go out on Mondays here as I don't usually get to watch it until the weekend.

I have bailed on a few TV series - see "Heroes" thread - but I've stuck with this one as I like a lot of the characters and actors, even if it is very OTT at times.  Plus there is nothing like it on TV.

• 2 months later...

wow!!!! I have now watched 2 episodes of the new season and the series is terrific this year. I was totally "blown away" tonight at the very end of the show when something totally unexpected happened....for the good. I can't wait until the next episode. The show is now ahead of the books.

Edited by muggle not

Only seen the first episode so far, I think some of the characters seem to have gone back to where they started in the first book - possible spoilers:

Arya fighting again...Dany (who always bored me) back with the dothraki.

And am I the only one who thinks that Melisandre looked like Dobby from Harry Potter in the last scene?

Edited by Athena
Spoiler tags added.

Only seen the first episode so far, I think some of the characters seem to have gone back to where they started in the first book - possible spoilers:

Arya fighting again...Dany (who always bored me) back with the dothraki.

And am I the only one who thinks that Melisandre looked like Dobby from Harry Potter in the last scene?

When do you get to see the 2nd episode. you are in for a big surprise at the very end of the show.

Edited by Athena
Spoiler tags added.

I hope you don't mind, Madeleine (and Muggle Not), but I've added spoiler tags to the spoiler :). If you're interested, see this thread on how to do this yourself.

As for GoT, we have to finish watching season 5 first. I'm in a dilemma whether or not I'll watch the sixth season, once out on Blu-ray, because it's ahead of the books (and it's doubtful GRRM will have published the next book soon).

I hope you don't mind, Madeleine (and Muggle Not), but I've added spoiler tags to the spoiler :). If you're interested, see this thread on how to do this yourself.

As for GoT, we have to finish watching season 5 first. I'm in a dilemma whether or not I'll watch the sixth season, once out on Blu-ray, because it's ahead of the books (and it's doubtful GRRM will have published the next book soon).

hehe - there was no need to do that Athena. There is nothing inside the "spoiler". :) Edited by muggle not

hehe - there was no need to do that Athena. There is nothing inside the "spoiler". :)

It was coloured white, to look just like the background. You had to select it to view it. I've made it the normal black colour now, so it's easier to read.

Watched ep 2 this afternoon and thought it was much better than the first one (no Dany for a start) and yes there were several shocks and the ending...that's how you end an episode and leave people breathless for more!  Definitely back on form.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not enjoying this season as much, because there are several situations in which a character favoured by the audience gets saved (or further than that) by something unexpected. The writers could take the time to present these scenes in a more reasonable manner, but then these would be less spectacular. On a positive note, the dragon looks amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I had posted months ago about how in love with GoT I was, but after this season I do believe my love has flown away like a wounded bird.

I had similar feelings myself last season but it has definitely picked up again. I suggest you give it one more chance. I find that marathoning the episodes makes them feel much more cohesive because there are so many moving parts with so many characters that they can't fully develop many story lines in one episode. Plus, you have made it this far so you can't turn back down. :)

I'm actually really enjoying this series,  I think it's much better than the 5th one, and the not knowing what's coming gives an extra frisson, although some of this series is actually based on events in book 4.  It does feel a bit fragmented sometimes, as there are so many characters and storylines, although the storylines do follow a logical sequence.  Haven't seen this week's yet though.