Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 14

Chrissy

I finished The Leopard by Jo Nesbo then started to read Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris......finished that, am now gonna start on The Executioner by Chris Carter.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have managed to get up to chapter 14 of A Discovery Of Witches today by sneaking the odd 10/15 mins upstairs when kids were amusing themselves... Off to bed in a bit to try and get a few more chapters under my belt, intrigued to see which direction it's going to go next.....

Did you like Sister

Yes I did Inver it was one of those can't stop reading need to know what happens kinda book :D

Managed to sneak in a few more pages of Someone Else's Son today.

Finished The Checkout Girl today, which I really loved, but am now struggling with what to read next. :doh: Picked up London by Edward Rutherford, but put it down after a few pages. Then I started Evolution by Stephen Baxter, and have also put that down after a few pages. :doh: I'm stuck! What to do....what to do.... I've got too many to choose from. Ugh!

Guest happyday

I am currently reading "Think Like A Champion" from Donald J. Trump

This book contain short stories, educational, informative and inspirational

cheers,

HappyDay

Edited by Kell
link removed as per rules

Just finished 'City of Glass'(Mortal Instruments~Book 3) by Cassandra Clare and about to start 'City of Fallen Angels' (Mortal Instruments~Book 4) by Cassandra Clare. :)

And I bought 'The Resident' by Francis Cottam during the week. :)

Wohoo! I finally finished The Group and will now move on to Brooklyn by Com Tóibín.

Finally? Didn't you only start reading it a few days ago? huh.gif

I've only read a few pages today and I did a little more book organising as well.

Finally? Didn't you only start reading it a few days ago? huh.gif

I think I started it on Sunday or Monday, I don't recall. It was such a dense read and I've been wanting to get on with Brooklyn since I got it on Friday, that yes, I would say finally :giggle:

I'm feeling quite high-brow, so I'm about to start The Greatest Show On Earth (The Evidence for Evolution) by Richard Dawkins. It also happens to be a gorgeous day, so I shall read it in the sun in the back garden. Doesn't get better than that! :boogie:

I'm feeling quite high-brow, so I'm about to start The Greatest Show On Earth (The Evidence for Evolution) by Richard Dawkins. It also happens to be a gorgeous day, so I shall read it in the sun in the back garden. Doesn't get better than that! :boogie:

Hope you enjoy 'The Greatest Show On Earth' bobblybear, it is a very good read imo.

Wish it was nice here to sit out and read, it is very overcast and grey here in the West Midlands, UK :(

I have under 100 pages left to read of Kraken by China Mieville and under 100 pages left of Beloved by Toni Morrison, I hope to have both finished by next weekend. Also reading Haruki Murakami's Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman on and off; some great stories, others a little confusing but all good. Making way through Wormwood Forest: A Natural History of Chernobyl by Mary Mycio which is very interesting!

Edited by chrysalis_stage

Hope you enjoy 'The Greatest Show On Earth' bobblybear, it is a very good read imo.

Wish it was nice here to sit out and read, it is very overcast and grey here in the West Midlands, UK :(

Thanks Chrysalis. I've just finished the first chapter and it's very interesting. It's just clouded over though, so I've had to come inside. It's very cold when that sun disappears. :icon_eek:

I've decided to go with London Calling by Barry Miles - "a countercultural history of London since 1945". Lots of bohemians, artists, Soho drunks and hippies, by the look of things. I should be right at home :lol:

Sounds great, Roland! I'll be interested in your thoughts on this. I read Miles' authorised biography of Paul McCartney many years ago, and I was quite impressed.

I have under 100 pages left to read of Kraken by China Mieville and under 100 pages left of Beloved by Toni Morrison, I hope to have both finished by next weekend. Also reading Haruki Murakami's Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman on and off

Wow, I'm jealous of all your reads, Chrysalis! I have all 3 on my TBR pile.

Thanks Chrysalis. I've just finished the first chapter and it's very interesting. It's just clouded over though, so I've had to come inside. It's very cold when that sun disappears. :icon_eek:

Good to hear :) It is a bit nippy, fingers crossed it is better tomorrow.

Wow, I'm jealous of all your reads, Chrysalis! I have all 3 on my TBR pile.

:D All great reads Kylie, I wasn't too keen on Beloved when I started it but it developed nicely and I am now 'enjoying' it.

I have under 100 pages left to read of Kraken by China Mieville

How are you enjoying Kraken, I loved its wierdness when I read it last year.

I finished Janet Eranovitch- One for the Money and started Plum Spooky this morning by the same author, how have I missed these before they are very funny, problem is I guess they get lumped in with all the chicklit literature which I am not a big fan of. :D

Wow! You all seem to read really sophisticated books compared to me.

I finished Girl on the Run by Jane Costello this afternoon and will be making a start on a re-read of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix later today.

The Stephanie Plum series is good fun, pickle, and it's not really "chicklit" so much as knockabout crime fiction - even my brother-in-law enjoys them, and he's about as far from being a "reader" as you could get. Like all series, there comes a time when you've had enough, but that's probably quite a long way down the line, I'd say. Enjoy!

The weirdness is so loveable, even the horror aspects and the humour is spot on. Kraken is like a big olde tease though, it is packed full of such imaginative side characters and anecdotes with many not developed further than a mention and I found myself gagging for more description as they are so interesting. Mieville's imagination knows no bounds it seems, but I must say I do think I prefer the bas lag books, just because of the scale of the world building. It will definitely require another read to absorb everything and pick up things I missed as there is alot of fantastic elements to remember. As silly as it sounds I'm very happy to have China Mieville's books in my life! biggrin.gif

Edited by chrysalis_stage

I finished Janet Eranovitch- One for the Money and started Plum Spooky this morning by the same author, how have I missed these before they are very funny, problem is I guess they get lumped in with all the chicklit literature which I am not a big fan of. :D

The Stephanie Plum series is good fun, pickle, and it's not really "chicklit" so much as knockabout crime fiction - even my brother-in-law enjoys them, and he's about as far from being a "reader" as you could get. Like all series, there comes a time when you've had enough, but that's probably quite a long way down the line, I'd say. Enjoy!

I've been told that I would love The Stephanie Plum series from a good friend. Yet she knows I don't like chick -lit so I would say that it would be more of a crime fiction.*Hopes*

As for me I am now 100 pages into The Portable Door by Tom Holt. I just love this book and I hate that I don't have much time to read it. I am going to make time this evening to chill and read and not doing any work.

I'm half way through 'Glory in Death' (J.D.Robb) having read 'Naked in Death' last week. I plan to have it finished by Tue. Then I've got 'A is for Alibi' or 'Step on a crack' to start on.

Sounds great, Roland! I'll be interested in your thoughts on this. I read Miles' authorised biography of Paul McCartney many years ago, and I was quite impressed.

OK, but you'd better be patient, Kylie. Big book, sloooooowww reader ....

I have now finished the second one and will definitely be looking for more, I guess the library had them in the wrong place as I never noticed them before. I thought they were really funny.

The weirdness is so loveable, even the horror aspects and the humour is spot on. Kraken is like a big olde tease though, it is packed full of such imaginative side characters and anecdotes with many not developed further than a mention and I found myself gagging for more description as they are so interesting. Mieville's imagination knows no bounds it seems, but I must say I do think I prefer the bas lag books, just because of the scale of the world building. It will definitely require another read to absorb everything and pick up things I missed as there is alot of fantastic elements to remember. As silly as it sounds I'm very happy to have China Mieville's books in my life! biggrin.gif

I completely agree I am happy to have read all his books, I think the Bas Lag books are more horrific ( in a poetic descriptive way) but I have had an obsession with Kraken for such a long time.

I've been told that I would love The Stephanie Plum series from a good friend. Yet she knows I don't like chick -lit so I would say that it would be more of a crime fiction.*Hopes*

I think you would really like them they have some great humour in them and some hilarious characters