Ben's Reading 2011

Ben

The next book I'm starting is Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper. This is the first of the five books which form Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising sequence.

Synopsis:

Three children, on holiday in Cornwall, discover an ancient map which leads them into a search for a buried grail.

This looks good, and I've heard good things from people on here and in real life. It also has a somewhat sentimental value to me because they are - as far as I can remember - the only books my Auntie ever bought me. I've pushed them aside for a long time now, I'm not sure why, but now is the time to read them. Has anyone read this or the series before?

Edited by Ben

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As we've discussed before Ben, I've read the second book but not the first in The Dark Is Rising series. I have Under Sea, Over Stone on my Kindle, but I've got a few other books on the go at the moment but I think this'll be one of my upcoming reads in the next couple of weeks. The second book, The Dark Is Rising, was fantastic and I have high hopes for the rest of the series as I've been told that that one isn't even the best of them.

The next book I'm starting is Under Sea, Over Stone by Susan Cooper. This is the first of the five books which form Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising sequence.

Synopsis.

Three children, on holiday in Cornwall, discover an ancient map which leads them into a search for a buried grail.

This looks good, and I've heard good things from people on here and in real life. It also has a somewhat sentimental value to me because they are - as far as I can remember - the only books my Auntie ever bought me. I've pushed them aside for a long time now, I'm not sure why, but now is the time to read them. Has anyone read this or the series before?

I read the series quite a few years ago & absolutely loved it . In fact I think I'll probably read it again quite soon maybe as bedtime reading for my DD :)

As we've discussed before Ben, I've read the second book but not the first in The Dark Is Rising series. I have Under Sea, Over Stone on my Kindle, but I've got a few other books on the go at the moment but I think this'll be one of my upcoming reads in the next couple of weeks. The second book, The Dark Is Rising, was fantastic and I have high hopes for the rest of the series as I've been told that that one isn't even the best of them.

Yeah it's been a bit of a slow start in my opinion but Over Sea, Under Stone is starting to pick up pace a little bit now. I'll confess the main reason for me even picking up these again was seeing them discussed on the forum, otherwise they probably would have been left for a while yet. If the books get better as the series progresses then I can't wait to get stuck into the rest. I'll be sure to let you know my thoughts on this one; let me know when you decide to read it.

I read the series quite a few years ago & absolutely loved it . In fact I think I'll probably read it again quite soon maybe as bedtime reading for my DD :)

Awesome, thanks for the comment. Looking forward to these now. :friends3:

Edited by Ben

Hey guys, not much reading going on at the moment due to the revision. Well, I am reading, but it's all text-books and notes that I've written. Nevertheless the short start I've managed to make on Over Sea, Under Stone is a good one; a steady start which has taken a start to get going, but I think it's just about to pick up pace, so I'm looking forward to getting stuck into this a bit more when I have the time on my hands. I hope everyone else is having a good reading year so far. :friends3:

Edited by Ben

Glad your enjoying Under Sea, Over Stone Ben it's probably a good choice of book to read, as in not too taxing , if your busy with other stuff. I kind of wish I hadn't picked The Forsyte Saga for my first read of the year as I'm quite busy myself & it's the sort of book you need to concentrate on, though I am enjoying it it'll probably take me till February to finish it :)

Glad your enjoying Under Sea, Over Stone Ben it's probably a good choice of book to read, as in not too taxing , if your busy with other stuff. I kind of wish I hadn't picked The Forsyte Saga for my first read of the year as I'm quite busy myself & it's the sort of book you need to concentrate on, though I am enjoying it it'll probably take me till February to finish it :)

:lol: Yeah it certainly is quite light and easy to read, perfect for reading alongside my heavy revision books at the moment. Ooh, I've heard of that saga before, refresh my memory on what they're about again?

Hi Ben, what a great review of Clockwork Orange! It's such a controversial and disturbing read, but at the same time it's one of those books that grips you and you can't put it down, no matter how awful it gets.

Thanks Frankie, glad you enjoyed it. It was quite difficult to sum up in a review really; was a struggle trying to say what I thought of it, because it can be seen from so many different perspectives. I definitely know that I enjoyed it though; wish I would have read it before now.

Edited by Ben

Really nice review of A Clockwork Orange, Ben.

I never could finish the book. While I understood the reasons behind the way it was written, the made-up language irritated me to no end. I tried to read it twice, as the the themes of the book have always interested me, but I just couldn't do it.

I never could finish the book. While I understood the reasons behind the way it was written, the made-up language irritated me to no end. I tried to read it twice, as the the themes of the book have always interested me, but I just couldn't do it.

Thanks! I can understand where you're coming from; the language really distracts from the plot for some people when reading A Clockwork Orange. Thankfully, that wasn't the case for me and it didn't seem to bother me at all. Have you considered finding out what the words mean before reading, so then you can substitute as you go through? I think I found myself doing that without meaning to as I read. It's a shame you couldn't manage to finish the book though, I think it's one everyone should read.

Edited by Ben

Have you considered finding out what the words mean before reading, so then you can substitute as you go through? I think I found myself doing that without meaning to as I read.

That is a good idea, and maybe I will try it again someday. I still have the book, as I can't quite get myself to part with it, because it's a dytopian novel, and I generally love those.

That is a good idea, and maybe I will try it again someday. I still have the book, as I can't quite get myself to part with it, because it's a dytopian novel, and I generally love those.

Have you read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley? I haven't, but it's supposed to be good, heard great things from a classmate.

Edited by Ben

Have you read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley? I haven't, but it's supposed to be good, heard great things from a classmate.

Yes, I have! It's one of my favorites, probably only second to 1984 by George Orwell. Both books made frightening predictions that are still relevant today.

If you are considering reading Brave New World, I would definitely recommend it. :)

Yes, I have! It's one of my favorites, probably only second to 1984 by George Orwell. Both books made frightening predictions that are still relevant today.

If you are considering reading Brave New World, I would definitely recommend it. :)

1984 is a book I've not actually read, and yet I've seen a production of it and have analysed it inside-out for school. I genuinely enjoyed it as a book, even if I haven't read it cover-to-cover. As for Brave New World I have it on my Kindle ready to be read, so perhaps I'll get to it soon enough. It's one of those books I've always thought I 'should' read.

Regarding the language in A Clockwork Orange, I printed myself off a translation from the internet and had it tucked inside the book so if I ever got stuck with a word I could just look it up on the spot. Once you get used to it though, it gets easier to read. :)

I really enjoyed Brave New World, Ben. It's definitely due for a re-read, especially because I'd also like to read Brave New World Revisisted, which looks at how his vision compared to the world 30 years later.

Regarding the language in A Clockwork Orange, I printed myself off a translation from the internet and had it tucked inside the book so if I ever got stuck with a word I could just look it up on the spot. Once you get used to it though, it gets easier to read. :)

That makes a lot of sense, actually; I imagine it's a lost easier to read with a translation on hand. I did pick it up quite nicely as I went along though, and the book is so fantastically written.

I really enjoyed Brave New World, Ben. It's definitely due for a re-read, especially because I'd also like to read Brave New World Revisisted, which looks at how his vision compared to the world 30 years later.

Yeah, like I said above, it really is one of those books that I've always thought I should get around to reading. One of my friends is studying it for his English coursework - I'm doing The Picture of Dorian Gray and Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde - and he's really enjoying it. Brave New World Revisited sounds like it could be an excellent companion to Brave New World for the compare and contrast. Perhaps one to look out for when I get around to reading it, then.

:lol: Yeah it certainly is quite light and easy to read, perfect for reading alongside my heavy revision books at the moment. Ooh, I've heard of that saga before, refresh my memory on what they're about again?

It's basically the story of the Forsyte dynasty, an upper middle class family & it spans about 50 years, there's 3 volumes but I've just got the first which starts at the end of the nineteenth century. It's a good read if you like family saga's which I do :D

It's basically the story of the Forsyte dynasty, an upper middle class family & it spans about 50 years, there's 3 volumes but I've just got the first which starts at the end of the nineteenth century. It's a good read if you like family saga's which I do :D

It sounds good - thanks for the recommendation Kidsmum. :friends3:

Hi Ben, haven't read it for a long time but Brave New World is a good book with powerful ideas, I am sure you will enjoy it.

Thanks Vodkafan, I think with all the recommendations of it, it would be ridiculous to let it slip my grasp; I'm going to make it one of my near-future reads I'm sure.

A Clockwork Orange. - Anthony Burgess.

Well, here it is, the third finished novel of the year, and by far the strangest book I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Although the book deals with some serious issues such as rape, violence and crime - enough to put some people off - I feel that this is a piece of literature that everyone should read. My reasons for this are simple: the novel is thought-provoking, intriguing, and throughout I felt connected with the main protagonist, Alex; a strange thing to say about a fifteen year delinquent who enjoys gang-crime and extreme violent acts, but who also enjoys classical music. Particularly Beethoven's Ninth. Some people who will read this novel, will have no sympathy for a mere child who brings so much hurt and violence to perfectly innocent victims, but as the novel progressed I'm sure that I wasn't the only one who began to sympathise with the troubles that the Government forced upon him. Now, I imagine opinion about this novel is divided right down the middle; some will say he got what he deserved, others will disagree. I do know one thing for sure; this novel is one that everyone should read at some point in their lives.

5/5.

Great review Ben, I am still in two minds about reading it (after effects of the film, as you know :)) but your review has helped :)

Great review Ben, I am still in two minds about reading it (after effects of the film, as you know :)) but your review has helped :)

Thanks, I aim to please so I'm glad I managed to help you out; let me know if you do read it.

Edited by Ben

Hey guys, as you all know the recreational reading has had to be put on hold until the exams are finished, meaning I haven't had much chance to get stuck into Over Sea, Under Stone yet. I'm still only a little way through it and it's frustrating not having the time to read at the minute, seen as though I'm really hoping for a good total books read this year. Ah well I'm sure it'll pick up soon; I have so much good stuff waiting for me on my shelves.

Hope everyone's having a good reading year so far. :friends3:

Edited by Ben

Reading news; not technically read anything - although I am planning on doing after this post - but purchases count as news right?

Well, I need some sort of repentance from you guys; because although I said I wouldn't be buying anymore books because of the lack of space and the fact I have a Kindle which should save me this problem, I caved. I swear as I'm wandering WH Smith's, books just jump off the shelves. I got a 'buy one get one half-price' offer on The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver, which looks quite interesting, and Hell Gate that looks like you're typical crime and murder novel, written by Linda Fairstein.

*hangs head in shame.*

I'm going to go read some of Over Sea, Under Stone to try gain some forgiveness. It'll be the first time I've read for my own enjoyment in quite a while actually. (:

Edited by Ben