Cricket

Kylie

I'm really glad Lee's back. I've missed him. :)

I'm not so sure about Australia winning all the games. I think our batting is still kind of poor and I think we've been lucky at least in the first couple of games to have one stand-out batsmen in each game (Watson, then Marsh). If it wasn't for them, things would have ended very badly for us.

We still have a lot of problems with our top-order batsmen (come on Clarkey!)

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We still have a lot of problems with our top-order batsmen (come on Clarkey!)

Join the club :lol:

Our batsman are looking mentally tired, to me. It's always an issue for touring teams I guess, but some of our test batsman could've done with a break, imo.

Yes, well, I wasn't going to mention it here, but one of my workmates noticed the same thing last week. :(

Suddenly I feel like doing some overtime on Sunday. As much as I would hate it, I would make that sacrifice for my country. angel_not.gif

That, or I'll just come and steal the Ashes urn and become a national hero. ph34r.gif The funny thing about it is...I think I really would be a national hero if I did that!

So it's true - we did send a load of criminals to Australia! :out:

Yep, and soon we'll be comin' home again. :ph34r:

She says she "buys" all these books, but now I am beginning to wonder . . .

Well, what do you expect? Books are so expensive in Australia! :wink:

Woohoo! Australia wins the one-day series 4-1!

It may not be on a level with winning the Ashes, but it sure takes away a little of the pain. :) Well done boys! :D

Let's see if we can make it 6-1.

AND $6m was raised for the Queensland flood victims. Excellent result. :)

Edited by Kylie

Congrats to Australia for winning the ODI series :)

Another pathetic performance from our one-day batsmen. Have to say, I honestly don't think the Aussies have been particularly brilliant in any of the games, so that means we were even worse. I'd like to think we were just lulling the other teams into a false sense of security before the World Cup, but I don't think it's actually true ... :rolleyes::lol:

Jeez, have you been watching the current one-day match? Prior is such a cheat (yes, I said the 'c' word)! He knocked the bails off with his gloves and then tried to claim that Johnson had been bowled! What the? irked.gif And it was pointless trying to stump him anyway because Johnson was well within his crease. I've never seen anything like it before. mad.gif

I can't wait to see what your media make of this after the lashing they gave Hughes for the catch that wasn't a catch.

Ha, of course the English press wouldn't mention it. They would have totally jumped all over it if it had been the Aussies though.

Here's a link to video of the incident. I can't view it here at work (probably just as well or I'd get all riled up again).

Wow, I can't believe the arrogance! I watched the video and am massively appalled!! :irked:

Edit: Hehehe, talk about BBC not mentioning Prior's shenanigans: There were comments on the webpage with the link to the Prior event, and one of the comments read:

"Another example of the English cricket team cheating! They just can’t play fairly. Marcus Trescothick admitted in his book that he was the designated ball tamperer throughout the 2005 Ashes series, which England won by the skin of their teeth. If you don’t believe me Google marcus trescothick ball tampering. The first link that comes up is from the BBC, which is known to be the most unbiased media forum in the world!

And these are just the ones they haven’t been able to hide. What about all the other times they cheated without anyone knowing?"

Hehehe, BBC, known as the most unbiased media forum in the world! Hail, BBC! :giggle2:

Edited by frankie

I can't wait to see what your media make of this after the lashing they gave Hughes for the catch that wasn't a catch.

And Smith did the same the other day, when he'd quite clearly dropped the ball :irked:

But yeah, Prior's an idiot. Not a word about it in the paper I saw this morning :rolleyes: They'd've mentioned it if we'd still been in the ODI series, I expect, although cricket has been relegated from the back pages to large degree over here since The Ashes was won.

"And these are just the ones they haven’t been able to hide. What about all the other times they cheated without anyone knowing?"

Whoever wrote that was obviously suffering from sour grapes. The fact is, if you don't have to provide evidence you could say it about any team. We could have said it about Australia for years - they must've been cheating to have beaten us so many times (<-- yes, I'm joking, but you get my point :wink: ).

There have been trangressions by both England and Australia on this tour: Hughes and now Smith with their 'catches', and Ponting's five minute argument with both umpires over a decision that had been proven correct by the technology. A couple of those got me pretty riled up, too. There's no doubt that Prior tried to cheat. He didn't get away with it, thankfully. If I had my way, he'd be dropped for the World Cup but hey, that's just me.

Unfortunately, it seems to me that the modern day sportsman seems to be encouraged to do 'whatever it takes' to win, and I don't think that's unique to England. You only have to look at the amount of cheating that goes on in football - but that's a whole other conversation :lol:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

• 1 month later...

More interestingly, how highly entertaining have England been to watch in the World Cup this year? I mean, not by any means the best cricket I've ever seen; far from it. Yet once again we've managed to hopefully worm ourselves through after six increasingly incredible matches, culminating in the one against the West Indies today. I'll be the first to confess I believed we were out of it - as did many others I'm sure - and going home early, but it seems we've not quite finished yet. I guess I should have expected this; when have we ever done things easily. Game on. :lol:

Edited by Ben

Didn't England *ahem* lose to Ireland? *snickers gleefully :giggle: *

I can't believe I forgot to come here and, well, snicker gleefully when that happened. Thanks for reminding me, Ben! :D

Well, at least he's only getting angry at his own teammates this time. I'd rather that than see another international incident. :rolleyes: Poor old Ponting.

The Ashes? Pfft! That's ancient history, Raven...get over it! :P I'm focused solely on the next series now.