Cricket

Kylie

True, and I must admit that while I have the telly on I'm not paying much attention.

We've been hearing a bit about how much they thrash the Aussies. I know we're opponents, but really, is it necessary to be so vitriolic? I don't mind a bit of banter but they're just plain mean. They treat us like enemies and there is no sign of mateship. :( And apparently they're going on about Hughes being a 'cheat', which is a very strong word to use on a sportsman.

It is a strong word, maybe too strong, but I was watching when it happened and I thought the Aussie appeals were bang out of order. Sometimes, when the ball hits fingers and ground at the same time, it's understandable - but that ball hit the ground six inches in front of him. Cook knew he wasn't out, and I think Hughes knew it full well. It smacked more of desperation than cheating, to be honest.

Re thrashing the Aussies, I for one have had to put up with years of gloating from my Aussie colleagues, so these past two weeks have been an absolute joy, and I make no apologies for gloating right back at 'em :wink:

Happy days! I remember watching the Headingley test in '81 when Botham and Willis turned the whole series on its head. And 2005, and that thrilling series. But this has topped them all, for me. I think it's too easy to say the Aussies are in decline - I think our lads have been magnificent. With the exception of two or three days in the entire series they've outplayed the Aussies in every department. Even in the Perth test the bowling was still good. T20 World champs and the Ashes in Australia within 12 months. Fantastic! Team of the Year and Coach of the Year at the next Sport Personality Awards, surely? :D

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, and I must admit that while I have the telly on I'm not paying much attention.

We've been hearing a bit about how much they thrash the Aussies. I know we're opponents, but really, is it necessary to be so vitriolic? I don't mind a bit of banter but they're just plain mean. They treat us like enemies and there is no sign of mateship. :( And apparently they're going on about Hughes being a 'cheat', which is a very strong word to use on a sportsman.

To be fair Kylie, we've been on the other end of the press bashing for years. We've had to endure a lot of stuff coming out of the Aussie press for quite a few years (since 1986 in fact). Ricky Ponting had to really grit his teeth to wish us well on TV the other day. :D I think the shoe is on the other foot for the time being and you can't deny us our happiness in this series. I'm sure it won't last for very long. :friends0::friends3:

Who's trying to deny anyone happiness? Our press is nowhere near as harsh as yours and they're a lot more unbiased.

Maybe I've missed something, but I've always seen Ricky give genuine congratulations to opponents.

You're right, the UK press is very harsh. They take great delight in building people up and then knocking them down with a wrecking ball. I can already see the headlines if we don't do well against India in the summer :rolleyes:

It's just the nature of things; if you would have beaten us convincingly, I'm sure the Australian press would have been exactly the same. I don't mean that offensively, It's just that The Ashes seem to go beyond competition and turn more personal; hence the snide comments and jibes at different batsmen and such strong comments in the papers. Don't get me wrong, I far from agree with it in any sport. It is the same in football really; more often or not it turns stupidly personal and offensive over a game, and it's visible in football where there's fights and violence and hooliganism. It's a shame sport sometimes turns people against each other for stupid reasons, when it should bring people together.

Edited by Ben

Harsh!?! This is the first England win in Australia I have witnessed, and I've been following Test cricket since 1991!

:lol:

And the first I have been able to watch live on tv :D

And the first time my Aussie colleagues have been old enough to know a home defeat :giggle2:

The only thing I can imagine being a better feeling than this is our lot winning the footie World Cup - and that isn't going to happen in my lifetime by the looks of it :rolleyes::lol:

Well done Straussy and the boys, you've done us proud.

:D:D:D:D:D

My Aussie colleague hasn't turned up at work today! :wink: Shame

Well done the boys. Certainly makes up for a pathetic World Cup .... and that Alastair Cook, what lovely eyes! :P

Commiserations Kylie - take heart. At least your team isn't as bad as the New Zealanders.

I don't know, LM, I reckon NZ would have a pretty good chance against Australia with the way we've been playing lately!

We may as well turn this into a general 2010/2011 cricket season thread now that the Ashes are over.

The 20/20 between Australia and England has just finished. It was sooooo close! I said to a mate at work today that I hoped it would be a close game and I certainly got my wish! It came down to the last ball and England had lost 9 wickets. But of course England won again. :( I was really hoping Australia would win as a kind of tribute to the Queensland flood victims. They could do with some sort of a pick-me-up, no matter how small.

I don't know, LM, I reckon NZ would have a pretty good chance against Australia with the way we've been playing lately!

No you would thrash us still. Our team is possibly the worst it's ever been in history. It's a national embarassment.

Sorry about the 20/20 result. A close game always makes for good entertainment though - nobody likes to see a thrashing.

I can't believe I forgot to come here and gloat at our win in the 20/20 the other night. And goodness knows I'm entitled to it after everything the Australian and English teams have put me through lately!

The first match of the one-dayers is currently on and Australia is a bit behind at the moment. The last over was fantastic, with Watson getting a couple of sixes (he's now on 126). The crowd is booing every dot ball. giggle.gif I love it when the crowd gets into it and the game gets a little tense. I'm thrilled with all these close games we've had lately! :D

I can't believe I forgot to come here and gloat at our win in the 20/20 the other night.

I remember when we had to cling on to small victories :wink::friends3:

Brilliant knock by Watson today. Shame he couldn't do it when it really mattered :giggle2:

Joking aside, I think he's been the Aussies' best and most consistent player for the whole of the England tour and considering everything else that must be on his mind at the moment that was a truly great knock :)

I'm just glad, for our sake, that Brett Lee's quit test cricket - he is (and always has been) brilliant :)

As usual when we lose, our bowling's okay but the batting's poor. I can see Australia winning all seven. Mind you, if you'd've given me the option before the tour to either win The Ashes or the ODI series, I know which one I'd've taken, so I'm still happy. Don't give us much hope for the World Cup, though - we were a shambles in the last one as well :doh::lol: