Downton Abbey

Ruth

Has anybody else been watching this? I'm hooked!! I do love a good period drama. Can't believe that it's the last episode on Sunday though.

Maggie Smith is simply brilliant, but the whole cast has been excellent. I'm really pleased that there will be another series next year :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was really disappointed with the first episode, but I stuck with it and I've really got into it. I think the first one (which was 90 minutes, I think?) set the scene, so I guess that was it's purpose and maybe why nothing much happened. I'm also glad they've commissioned a new series.

It's great that ITV (a channel I hardly ever watch) has produced something so good, but I do wish it was on the BBC so we could watch without so many ad breaks!

I love Hugh Bonneville, but I think that Maggie Smith steals the show! :)

Absolutely love this series and boo-hoo the last episode is this Sunday :cry: . I think that it is geared up very nicely for another series as presumably the last one will end as WWI starts so there must be plenty of material for a sequel. Hope so. Without sounding patronising, I think ITV have done themselves proud with this production. But then the Sherlock Holmes series was ITV's and that was excellent too (I mean the Jeremy Brett ones). I never thought they would match Pride and Prejudice for production values but I've been proved wrong.

I'm really pleased that there's to be a new series of "Downton" next year - thanks for the info, Ruth!

I like Hugh Bonneville too, Janet - and am fond of his Lord Robert. Such a pity that the decent bloke His Lordship is can't have a son or two - 3 daughters (with only one of them likeable) is a bit of a shame, especially when it means losing the home he loves. Maybe if there's to be another series, an illegitimate son will turn up, to throw a spanner in the works?! Maggie Smith is great, too - an elegant touch of comedy or distain, don't we think?

I loved the story about the missing snuffbox. It was a hoot how Anna and Bates set up the nasty Thomas and Miss O'Brien to effectively "finger" themselves as the thieves! :lol:

I love period dramas & think Downton Abbey 's great , Sunday night wont be the same without it so I'm glad they're making a second series :D

I love the blossoming relationship between Anna & Bates even though he looks old enough to be her father :giggle2:

Yes I have loved it too. Reminds me of 'Upstairs, Downstairs' that I watched every episode of, when I was many many years younger.

Did you know they're remaking Upstairs Downstairs? I read it somewhere. I don't remember the original but I did manage to watch the very last episode a few weeks ago because I came across it when I was channel hopping!

I swore I wasn't going to watch it nerver being a big fan of ITV adaptations of period drama, but it has me hooked I love Maggie Smith and I even fancy Brendan Coyle a little :D

True. I still haven't forgiven ITV for casting Billie Piper as Fanny Price in Mansfield Park! I'm so glad I decided to watch Downton Abbey though - I think the fact that Maggie Smith was in it persuaded me (I'm a fan of her and her son Toby Stephens, and will watch anything with either of them in). But ITV have redeemed themselves with Downton Abbey - when period drama is done well, it is my favourite type of tv show to watch, and it's been done extremely well here :)

Edited by Ruth

Did you know they're remaking Upstairs Downstairs? I read it somewhere. I don't remember the original but I did manage to watch the very last episode a few weeks ago because I came across it when I was channel hopping!

No I did n't know. I will look forward to that and no doubt watch them all again :D

No I did n't know. I will look forward to that and no doubt watch them all again :D

Apparently it's going to be on over Christmas, and is set 6 years after the original series ended. I know that one of the original cast is in it, and also Keeley Hawes. I never watched the original, but am tempted to see if I can get the box sets to watch.

I thought it was a great ending too. I'm not sorry Mary didn't say yes, she is such a cow!!! After what she did to poor Edith too.

Reckon there will be a great second series, they will probably all go to war and die in the trenches!! :(

• 1 year later...

So glad I found a thread on this show. I had never heard of it til I found it on my Kindle fire and am able to watch all the episodes for free (for the first 30 days ).

I have watched Season 1,and it shows that there are so far 3 of season 2. I havent started them yet. Trying to drag it out a little longer,but will watch them soon . I also found a book on it ,so want to order that too .

My favorite character is Daisy. The poor little skinny kid,she keeps doing the wrong things,but towards the end of the first season,she starts saying such funny lines.

Definitely an A PLUS show .

Love it too. I didn't start watching until the second series so hired the first ones and watched right through within a few days :blush2: Maggie Smith is superb as always and I just love to hate O'Brian and Thomas, the nasty pair. And I find Edith and Sybil far easier to like than Mary.

I agree about Edith and Sybil. Especially Sybil really...I feel sorry for Edith, because everyone in her family acts like she's hideous looking, when she's actually very attractive. Her character really grew as well during the second series. Mary always strikes me as incredibly selfish

I doubt that she will ever make Matthew happy. I didn't like the way Lord Robert had a personality transplant for series 2 - he hated the fact that Sybil wanted to marry a chauffeur, because he thought that Branson was inferior to the family - but he was perfectly happy to have it away with the maid while his wife was suffering with the Spanish flu!

Despite that though, and even though I though series 1 was better than series 2, it has remained consistently entertaining from day one. Maggie Smith is just amazing. In fact, she's brilliant in everything I've ever seen her in, but the role of Dowager Crawley was made for her!

Edited by Ruth

Poppy and Ruth -

Yes, I agree, it's a nice twist on things to have the 2 "bad guy " characters on there . I went back last night to watch the last few shows listed for season 2,and find they aren't free, you have to pay to get them,so I will do that here soon .I try to avoid using my credit card unless it's an emergency,so I'll have to go get a gift card to put money on my account .

So, are there only the 3 in Season 2,then the show is over ? I hope not, it would have been good to go one for a long time when there are so many characters on the show .

Mary is downright evil hearted in a way ,but once in awhile you feel a little sorry for her because she is so pretty, she could really have a nice life if she'd just try to change her nasty personality .

I was hoping Edith would be able to keep hold of the older oyfriend she had. She seemed to truly like him . The youngest girl is so beautiful,as is their mother .

I like the humor in the show, especially the 2 older ladies that seem to bicker with each other quite a bit. They are really funny .

Edited by julie