Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Dark Fire by C.J. Sansom, second in his series. I thoroughly enjoyed it, more so than the first, can't wait to read the third. Soon. :)

Am reading Night Train by Martin Amis. I can't say I think too much of it, and if it was much longer, I'd pitch it.

We visited the Library Sale today. /sigh/ :D

One Day the Ice Will Reveal All Its Dead by Clare Dudman

Leonardo's Flight by Philippe BlaisThe Sisters by Robert Littell

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Libra by Don Delillo

Manifold Origin by Stephen Baxter

Prayers for Rain by Dennis Lehane

A Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane

See No Evil by Robert Baer

The Autobiography of Henry VIII by Margaret George

Death in a Strange Country by Donna Leon

Uniform Justice by Donna Leon

Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky by Chris Greenhalgh

I woke up very early and lay in bed for ages hoping to go back to sleep. It wasn't meant to be, so at half past four I got up, made myself a cup of tea and snuggled up on the sofa with 'Tell Tale' an absorbing and compelling book by Sam Hayes. I had to drag myself away from it to go to a 'do' this afternoon. I will have it finished by tomorrow night. :)

I haven't done much reading this weekend as I have been too busy but I did manage to finish Jo Nesbo - Redbreast which I loved and I will be looking for more of hs.is work, I have also started G W Dalquist - The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters which is good but odd, anyone else read this/

I did manage to get a good haul from the library

Neil Gaiman - Fragile Things

Jennifer Armintrout - Ashes to Ashes

Chris Wooding - Retribution Falls

James McGee - Rapscallion

Finished Elsie and Mairi Go to War. It's a fascinating story - two well-to-do young women who become friends through their shared love of motorbikes (and imagine how rebellious that would have been in the years leading up to the First World War) and go off to "do their bit" (and quite a lot more than their bit) nursing wounded soldiers just yards behind the front line in Belgium. I won't spoil the story, because I know Pontalba has it lined up, but let's just say that Elsie and Mairi's story didn't end with the end of the War. A really worthwhile read, I thought.

I finished the can't-put-this-down-'til-I-know-what-happens 'Tell Tale' by Sam Hayes this morning. What a compelling and exhausting read!

This book creeps up on you, with a slow build up of the characters and the situation. You feel that you kind of know what is going on, but it's all given to you gradually. Without realising, the tension is mounting and mounting until you're gripping the book tightly and turning the pages with a strange combination of almost-dread and absolute thrill to find out what happens. Really well written, and a harrowing joy to read. :)

That sounds excellent, Chrissy! Glad you enjoyed it so much, and I think I need to add it to my wish list :D.

I finally finished part one of Tattoo last night. I'm loving it, but am having a hard time making myself sit down and read for long periods of time. It's like my mojo's there, but refuses to come visit me :huh:.

The Mermaid's Mirror is turning out to be a very quick read so last night I borrowed Oogy by Larry Levin from our work stash. If any of you read Dewey (the library cat) and liked it you'd probably like Oogy, too. It's about a dog that was being used as a dog fighting target and survived. He lost an ear and got pretty beaten up, making him look 'ugly' (Oogy, his name, is a play on ugly). The book is written by the family who adopted him.

Edited by CaliLily

I'm trying very hard to finish "She" by Rider Haggard (had it for over a week now) as I took 3 new books out of the library on Saturday that I want to start getting my teeth into:

Stettin Station - David Downing

A Razor Wrapped in Silk - R N Norris

A Vengeful Longing - R N Norris

I like "She" but it isn't as good as King Solomon's Mines.

I woke up very early and lay in bed for ages hoping to go back to sleep. It wasn't meant to be, so at half past four I got up, made myself a cup of tea and snuggled up on the sofa with 'Tell Tale' an absorbing and compelling book by Sam Hayes. I had to drag myself away from it to go to a 'do' this afternoon. I will have it finished by tomorrow night. :)

I have just ordered this from Amazon, thank you Chrissy for pointing me in this books direction.

I started Therepy by Sebastian Fitek last night and I can't put it down!

This is such a brilliant book, if you are enjoying it so far, just you wait!

I have just ordered this from Amazon, thank you Chrissy for pointing me in this books direction.

Thank Michelle! She's the one that got me started (and on 'Therapy too!) :lol:

Just started Michael Frayn's Towards the End of the Morning. To quote the blurb, it's ...set in the crossword and nature notes department of an obscure national newspaper during the declining years of Fleet Street, where John Dyson dreams wistfully of fame and the gentlemanly life - until one day his great chance of glory at last arrives.

I finished the can't-put-this-down-'til-I-know-what-happens 'Tell Tale' by Sam Hayes this morning. What a compelling and exhausting read!

This book creeps up on you, with a slow build up of the characters and the situation. You feel that you kind of know what is going on, but it's all given to you gradually. Without realising, the tension is mounting and mounting until you're gripping the book tightly and turning the pages with a strange combination of almost-dread and absolute thrill to find out what happens. Really well written, and a harrowing joy to read. :)

So jealous, might just have to go and buy it now :P

Got another chunk of vanity fair read today :)

I've read another 50 pages of Atlas Shrugged. I'm making good progress, but it's going to be tight if I want to finish reading it before it's reviewed on the book show next month!

I've read another 50 pages of Atlas Shrugged. I'm making good progress, but it's going to be tight if I want to finish reading it before it's reviewed on the book show next month!

Are you still enjoying AS, Kylie?

I'm hoping to read a good chunk of part two of Tattoo tonight before I fall asleep, and in other book-related news, my friend at work today lent me Assassini by Thomas Gifford. Can't wait to get to that one in my TBR pile! :D

Finished Company of Liars by Karen Maitland, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and have this morning started reading The Shadow of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

I am glad you enjoyed it, I just finished it myself recently, you should try her otherone The Owl Killers also very good.

I read a bit more of The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters and its very good