Why read if you're not gonna write down the road

emin

It seems to me everyone has different gifts. Not all are called to the writing life; Reading is for everyone who can learn the skill. What utterly amazes me is what reading means to each individual reader. Some do read and feel compelled to write what they glean from the words of others. Some write for publication, some for their own purposes. Thank God for all of them. I believe that all readers glean from their reading. We glean ideas and life changing information from the time we first learn C-A-T says 'Cat'. Hopefully that process never stops til we die. What we do with the written word is up to us.

From this point forward, I will only read what I have written myself and eat only what I have cooked myself (how could I be SO lazy as to eat someone elses cooking)

It's a toss-up as to whether I die from boredom or starvation first!

Ian

The more I read the less I feel that I could ever be a writer - it's not laziness, it's more a matter of not wanting to end up like a literary version of an out of tune X factor hopeful. I certainly think about ideas etc though.

What's the first?

Not many can do what? read?

This sounds like the saying of Grasshopper in the TV series Kung Fu!

LOL!! oh my word I nearly died when I read that haha.

To be honest I think it's easy for somebody who can't read well to get disillusioned with reading. I've never heard anyone who was a big reader of books describe reading as borrowing or stealing somebody elses thoughts :huh:.

Reading and books are a link between all human beings. No matter what you experience or what bad times you are going through, you can bet that someone else down the line has gone through it and maybe wrote about it. It's like if everybody reads, it's like the whole of humanity is holding hands, people both past and present. There are a few missing links in the chain but more and more get linked everyday. Oh my god I'm so not making sense lol

I love being lazy!

mocking.gif Me too! Maybe we could talk Michelle into changing the name of the forum to 'Lazy Unoriginal Nitwits Club Forum'

Hm... sarcasm would be more satisfying if the OP was actually going to read this. Since he can't/won't it takes a bit of the fun.

Edited by CaliLily

....maybe learn some population dynamics and the answer will be revealed.

I'm on it, Harry, I'm on it! I'll report back forthwith...oh, hang on...no, no can do mate. I'd have to read the research undertaken...irked.gif

Reading and books are a link between all human beings. No matter what you experience or what bad times you are going through, you can bet that someone else down the line has gone through it and maybe wrote about it. It's like if everybody reads, it's like the whole of humanity is holding hands, people both past and present. There are a few missing links in the chain but more and more get linked everyday. Oh my god I'm so not making sense lol
I thought you were making a lot of wonderful sense :) all art (music. paintings. you name it) is about emotional connection. Why do people get talkative with strangers in front of figurative masterpieces, propose with classic love songs, write dedications inside books they want to share with those they care about? They do all of the above because creativity equals communication, between creative types and their audiences, as well as amongst audiences themselves. I for one write, apart from the simple fact that I happen to enjoy it rather a lot, because I want to reach out to people, tap them on the shoulder, tell them something - I most certainly do not write because I want to do all the thinking for a load of lazy bums...!

I'm on it, Harry, I'm on it! I'll report back forthwith...oh, hang on...no, no can do mate. I'd have to read the research undertaken...

*un-Mod-like snigger*

Perfect sense and wonderfully put. Lovely post Eliza, in what is a very curious thread lol.

Why just enjoy in other people's thoughts, why stay lazy, why not think hard and try to enjoy in your own thoughts..

What a bizarre question. Do you also think that people shouldn't watch movies unless they want to be an actor? Are you implying readers are lazy and have no thoughts of their own. Because you're insulting a whole community here. Was that your intention?

Edited by Ruth

I think we can safely close this thread now as the original poster was obviously trying to get a reaction.

*Firmly plants a big sign reading "Please do not feed the Troll"*