• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
Chrissy

The Last Film You Saw

True Grit! :D

Another one on my list, shouldn't be too long before I get chance to watch it.

Any good? I'm still undecided on whether to bother, because they should have stopped by now.

I'd say that the first is still the best and they go downhill a little bit which each follow up. Pirates of the caribbean 4 was still a good movie, I just love them all nontheless.

Yesterday evening 'Notting Hill' was on tv in Holland, my daughter and I enjoyed watching it together. Putting Grant and Robberts together gave excellent comedy. laugh.gif We laughed throughout the movie and really needed that.

I've been watching many movies the past few weeks. Tuesday sparked a discussion between my children and me after watching John Q. taking hostages in a hospital so his son could get a new heart. It wasn't just a an amazing movie, but thoughtprovoking. It is true though what we saw in the movie, nowadays most people in health care only want to make money instead of helping people too. There is nothing wrong with making money of course, but why have most doctors and nurses stopped helping people who don't have money? Isn't the first purpose of studying medicine supposed to be helping fellow human beings? Or animals if you're a vet, I don't know about their attitude though, I have no experience with them. I did see similar problems in Holland in health care though where people without money don't get help.

I watched my first Indiana Jones film today. I don't actually remember what it was called though lol, something about a temple I think :blush: but I actually enjoyed it much more than I thought I would! It was a bit cheesy but I was very impressed when I saw the kid from the Goonies was in it :D

I watched Paul not long ago as well and thought that was really funny, I love Simon Pegg and Nick Frost :D

I'd say that the first is still the best and they go downhill a little bit which each follow up. Pirates of the caribbean 4 was still a good movie, I just love them all nontheless.

Sounds about right too me; I love the first one, and always feel that the others are just a little down on the standard, even if I do still enjoy them.

Really want to see the new Jane Eyre film! Also Red Red Riding Hood. Neither has come out on Redbox so still waiting.

Last film I saw was Beastly, a remake of Beauty and the Beast with Vanessa Hudgeons. It's was ok. Not nearly as good as Disney's Beauty and the Beast though!

Bridesmaids - bit disappointed it had the potential to be so much better.

Les Girls - an MGM musical from 1957, with Gene Kelly (who I adore), Mitzi Gaynor and Kay Kendall. Lots of fun! It was Gene's last film with MGM under his contract.

Letters to Juliet - an easy romance to watch whilst ironing - yes, the pile was that big!

Yes was good a little predictable! Good way to watch a film though, haha!

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets......NOT by choice...my daughter made me sit through it....surely this counts as Mom abuse????

Interview With a Vampire

Another film that underlines my dislike of Tom Cruise. Otherwise, it was okay, but nothing to get overly excited about.

Unknown - I enjoyed it. It kept you guessing until the last 30 minutes of the movie. It was based on a book so I'll have to pick up the book now.

Transformers 3 - wow, was this terrible. I thought it was funny when the one of the guys behind me said "you know, the best part of the movie was the soundtrack". I gotta said that I agree with that statement.

Unknown - I enjoyed it. It kept you guessing until the last 30 minutes of the movie. It was based on a book so I'll have to pick up the book now.

I really liked this movie, and had no idea where it was going until it was revealed. I didn't know it was based on a book, so I'll have to check that out.

The Lost Valentine - not that good, predictable and just average really, but, Betty White stole every scene she was in, and I have to admit that she made me cry at the end. My only excuse was that it was pouring with rain outside and I came across it while channel hopping. :blush:

Have been rewatching the Harry Potters in sequence...alittle OCD much?!, but he last thing I saw at the cinema was the last Pirates of the Caribbean, I think it's a Johny Depp thing..have to say the first was the best...