Baking...

Kell

I've never been a baker. It's all meats & veg & pasta & puds that I can do, but when it comes to baking, I've always been useless. So why is it that I suddenly got it into my head to try & bake an apple & blackberry pie today???

I've just had a nightmare of pastry with flour everywhere. Then I managed to manhandle the top crust into place, only to remember I hadn't added the sugar to the pie & had to take it off again, at which point it fell apart & had to be re-kneeded, re-rolled & re-manhandled on top again.

I've just stuck it in the oven now & it should be readdy some time in the next 45 minutes, so I'll let you know how much of a disaster it's been when I taste it. You never know - it might taste alright, even if it looks terrible.

I'll get there eventually...

There are certainly some scruptious scents wafting through from the kitchen. Another 5-10 minutes & the proof will be in the pudding! I took a peek a minute ago & it was certainly looking good. I just hope it TASTES good too!

Watch this space...

My pastry has always turned out that way in the past, Louise - more like cardboard that anything resembling a foodstuff, but it really worked out well this time for some odd reason. Am feeling very proud of myself & almost ready to attempt baking a cake (which will end in me crossing something off my list of 50 things to do before I'm 50!).

We have been swamped with blackberries. I have made four huge jars of jam, and two apple/blackberry pies. There are still loads in the garden that have now gone bad. If I'd have known that I may have sold some jam..

I am so envious. First Kell is baking blackberry pies and now you, Icecream. And what better way to enjoy the blackberry pies than with Icecream.

Truthfully, blackberry pie is my favorite. I did not pick blackberries this year because the berry patch where I pick berries did not have any. The owner of the patch pulled out all the plants and re-planted the field.

Mugglenot, the blog entry in question can be found here.

I'm thinking of doing a meat & potato pie this weekend - i haven't had that in donkeys years!

That is hilarious kell. Forget the sugar, good thing you remembered. btw, we use splenda all the time in place of the "other" sugar. Glad your pie turned out great. I would love a piece of it.

Oh yeah, you write very well.

I love to bake...when the weather is cool...fughedaboudit when the weather is above 75*F, though! :)

The secret to good pastry for pies is simple: don't handle it any more than absolutely necessary.

When I make pie crust, I measure out all my dry ingredients and sift them together, then I add the fat (usually butter flavored Crisco shortening, but you can use lard, butter, whatever you like best).

Using a pastry blender, start cutting it into the flour mixture until it looks like coarse corn meal. Then add your icy cold water, just a tablespoon at a time, and moosh it together with your hands until you have it all hanging together in a ball.

Let it rest a bit, then roll it out.

Hope this helps!

If your pastry is gray...uh....you might want to wash your hands! ROTFLOL! :)