• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
ned

Something I've Learned Today

The jam wagon wheels destroy those pathetic original ones.

There's enough. What have i learned today? That i need more sleep than i got this week! Night :blush:

In China during the Han rule 300BC to 100AD, the punishment for speaking back to the Emperor was your choice of either Death or Castration. Now there's a toughie.

Women were just killed i would guess although women were actually viewed as inferior to animals so i don't think that one would even get the Emperor unless he was feeling frisky. He had many wives and used to give them away to Kings and rulers of other lands as bribes.

And New York used to be part of the country called New Netherlands, busy91, go figure! :D

Wasn't New Yorkoriginally called New Amsterdam? That would fit in with the New Netherlands...

In China during the Han rule 300BC to 100AD, the punishment for speaking back to the Emperor was your choice of either Death or Castration. Now there's a toughie.

Can I choose castration please? LOL!

The funny silver metal thing that seems to come away from John's door every time I hoover his room at work, is nothing to do with his door, but actually sits on the bottom of the hoover !

I've been working away like a good little student today and have learned loads about New Labour's social inclusion initiatives in the 1990's. Good stuff :D

I learned that people in Europe apparently don't put ice in their drinks as much as we do in America. That is really interesting to me since I can't drink soda or water without it!

I learned that people in Europe apparently don't put ice in their drinks as much as we do in America. That is really interesting to me since I can't drink soda or water without it!

I rarely have ice in my drinks and never do when I'm at home. I also ask for no ice if I'm given the option :D

:lol: I learned that I was right in thinking that in the States one cannot have a party (or a drink) without ice :)

The only thing i have ice in is Magners, it waters the drink down and makes it taste horrible otherwise.

I've learned today that sometimes male politicians have more common sense when it comes to babies than so-called child-rearing "experts" who have sold over 2 million copies of a dreadful book on the subject when they (a female, I might add) has never actually had a child of her own.

I've also learned that when I read such articles, I find myself cheering said politician as I personaly cannot stand the woman who wrote the books or her ideas on how to "manage" yor baby. (Her book is actually the only book that I have ever - wait for it - RIPPED UP!).

:lol: I learned that I was right in thinking that in the States one cannot have a party (or a drink) without ice :)

And we now have Gilmore Girls evidence to back this up. I saw an episode tonight where Lorelai and Rory were drinking Cokes at Yale. Their cups were full to the brim with ice, with a bit of Coke squished in. :D I feel like saying 'Would you like some drink with your ice?' Over here, we would complain about receiving so much ice in a drink. I think it's a rip-off because you get so little drink.

And we now have Gilmore Girls evidence to back this up. I saw an episode tonight where Lorelai and Rory were drinking Cokes at Yale. Their cups were full to the brim with ice, with a bit of Coke squished in. :) I feel like saying 'Would you like some drink with your ice?' Over here, we would complain about receiving so much ice in a drink. I think it's a rip-off because you get so little drink.

Exactly!! It's a known fact that McDonalds and other fastfood restaurants fill your cup with ice and then pour a little soda as an afterthought because they save money that way! Besides where's the taste if all you're drinking is cool water with a hint of soda?

Exactly!! It's a known fact that McDonalds and other fastfood restaurants fill your cup with ice and then pour a little soda as an afterthought because they save money that way! Besides where's the taste if all you're drinking is cool water with a hint of soda?

I always make a point of saying no ice when I order my drink.