Kylie's Literary Adventures In 2010

Kylie

ETA: <sigh> I keep messing up my posts today.

I managed to acquire another 18 books on the weekend. It looks like my total number of books bought this year will easily go over 300. :( I've officially run out of space on all my bookcases in my library.

I've decided to take the door off my library because the pesky thing is taking up space where I can put another big bookcase. :wink:

Edited by Kylie

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having slogged my way through Atlas Shrugged for the last 4 weeks and buying loads more books at the same time, I've decided to spend some time whizzing through some of my lighter reads in an effort to get my TBR pile down.

Here are the books I'd like to get through before the end of the year:

Judy Blume: Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret

Janet Evanovich: Hard Eight

Jasper Fforde: First Among Sequels

Charlaine Harris: All Together Dead

Susan Hill: The Woman in Black

Kathryn Kenny: Trixie Belden

Robin Klein: Penny Pollard's Passport

Robin Klein: Thalia the Failure

CS Lewis: The Last Battle

Astrid Lindgren: The Brothers Lionheart

John Marsden: The Great Gatenby

AA Milne: Winnie-the-Pooh

LM Montgomery: Anne of Green Gables #3: Anne of the Island

Terry Pratchett: The Bromeliad Trilogy #1 - Truckers

Terry Pratchett: The Bromeliad Trilogy #2 - Diggers

Terry Pratchett: The Bromeliad Trilogy #3 - Wings

Terry Pratchett: Discworld #5 - Sourcery

PG Wodehouse: Full Moon

And one more chunky book:

Sylvia Plath: The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath

Edited by Kylie

Oh Robin Klein. I'm going to have to read some of her books now. People Might Hear You is one of the few books I can remember well from intermediate school (aged 11 for overseas people).

I think we only had 2-3 of her books in the school library so it might be time to catch up on the rest now I'm older.

Judy Blume ; Are you there God its me Margaret I haven't read that in years, I remember it confused the hell out of me when it was bought for me for reasons which I won't go into. Some brilliant choices there though some childhood favourites, we still make my dad do his Eyeore impression from Winnie The Pooh as he read it to us as children ( I will be 38 soon and it still is a fond memory):D

Having slogged my way through Atlas Shrugged for the last 4 weeks and buying loads more books at the same time, I've decided to spend some time whizzing through some of my lighter reads in an effort to get my TBR pile down.

Here are the books I'd like to get through before the end of the year:

Judy Blume: Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret

Janet Evanovich: Hard Eight

Jasper Fforde: First Among Sequels

Charlaine Harris: All Together Dead

Susan Hill: The Woman in Black

Kathryn Kenny: Trixie Belden

Robin Klein: Penny Pollard's Passport

Robin Klein: Thalia the Failure

CS Lewis: The Last Battle

Astrid Lindgren: The Brothers Lionheart

John Marsden: The Great Gatenby

AA Milne: Winnie-the-Pooh

LM Montgomery: Anne of Green Gables #3: Anne of the Island

Sylvia Plath: The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath

Terry Pratchett: The Bromeliad Trilogy #1 - Truckers

Terry Pratchett: The Bromeliad Trilogy #2 - Diggers

Terry Pratchett: The Bromeliad Trilogy #3 - Wings

Terry Pratchett: Discworld #5 - Sourcery

PG Wodehouse: Full Moon

Read the Magician's Guild, then you can wipe three books off your list when you throw the other two in the bin!

Oh Robin Klein. I'm going to have to read some of her books now. People Might Hear You is one of the few books I can remember well from intermediate school (aged 11 for overseas people).

I think we only had 2-3 of her books in the school library so it might be time to catch up on the rest now I'm older.

Robin Klein is terrific. I would highly recommend Hating Alison Ashley. I know I've read others but can't remember what they were like. The two on my list will technically be re-reads because I last read them about 20 year ago!

Judy Blume ; Are you there God its me Margaret I haven't read that in years, I remember it confused the hell out of me when it was bought for me for reasons which I won't go into. Some brilliant choices there though some childhood favourites, we still make my dad do his Eyeore impression from Winnie The Pooh as he read it to us as children ( I will be 38 soon and it still is a fond memory):D

I just finished this today and it was an excellent young adult book. I wish I had read it at a certain time in my life. :) I read The House at Pooh Corner earlier this year and completely fell in love with the story. :)

Read the Magician's Guild, then you can wipe three books off your list when you throw the other two in the bin!

giggle.gif Tsk tsk Raven!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is anyone else getting nerdily excited about started their reading blogs for 2011? I've been looking forward to it for a couple of months at least. :blush:

I wonder when the mods will be setting up the new section? (Was that subtle enough, do you think? :giggle:)

Edited by Kylie

Is anyone else getting nerdily excited about started their reading blogs for 2011? I've been looking forward to it for a couple of months at least. :blush:

just popping in to say that I'm really excited about that :D is it a bit strange that I've already planned out my posts?

just popping in to say that I'm really excited about that :D is it a bit strange that I've already planned out my posts?

Not strange at all! I haven't started yet for some reason. I think I don't want to start because then I'll finish and the enjoyment will be over for another year. :blush: Well, that, and I'm still waiting on a quantity of books from the post office so I'd like to have my TBR pile for 2011 a bit more finalised yet.

Heck yeah! It's December already, only a couple of days til the end of the year! Let's get started, shall we? :giggle2:

I think I'll start planning my posts today!

Me, too. Me, too. :exc: :exc: :exc:

On another forum I'm already reconstructing my page. :D

*thumbs up* Good work Lopeanha! :D

I won't feel right ending this blog unless I've written a line or two about every book I've read. <groan> Why did I let myself get so far behind? :irked:

Anne of Avonlea

Anne of the Island

Anne of Windy Poplars - by LM Montgomery

The second, third and fourth books in the Anne series. I absolutely adore this series and all the characters within. Anne of the Island is probably my favourite of the three above, because there's plenty of romance and interaction between Anne and her childhood friends.

The Lost Continent by Bill Bryson

A typically humorous Bryson book about his travels in 'small-town America'. A lot of Americans seem rather upset at his treatment of them (according to various book reviews), but I found his stories interesting and I don't for a second think that were mean or spiteful. It's just Bryson's way of writing. He likes to take the mickey out of everything. And he must have said something right, because I now have a huge desire to visit those parts of America he travelled around. :)

Definitely Dead

All Together Dead - by Charlaine Harris

I read Definitely Dead back in August, so to be honest I can't remember a great deal about it. However, All Together Dead is still fresh in my mind, and boy was it great! Sookie attends a vampire conference and things go quite hideously wrong. I can't wait to see where the series goes from here, especially now

that her telepathic ability has come out into the open

Thanks for the update Kylie!

Hmm my eldest son likes reading Bill Bryson. Maybe I should see what I am missing. My 13 yr old daughter likes vampire books. I have brought her several but I worry they have slightly too adult an undercurrent. Some I have left on the shelf on the bookshop that looked too overtly racy or violent.

I'd definitely recommend reading Bryson, VF. I've loved everything of his. His books are both very funny and educational. :)

Well done on your reading year Kylie, I have only read one Bill Bryson book (I keep saying I will read more) and it was 'The Life And Times Of The Thunderbolt Kid, it was hilarious :lol: I will invest in some more real soon :)

Edited by Weave

Well done on your reading year Kylie, I have only read one Bill Bryson book (I keep saying I will read more) and it was 'The Life And Times Of The Thunderbolt Kid, it was hilarious :lol: I will invest in some more real soon :)

I have that one on my TBR pile Weave. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

I have that one on my TBR pile Weave. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

It was very funny and poignant at the same time :) What do you think I should try next in his vast collection of books :)

I won't feel right ending this blog unless I've written a line or two about every book I've read. <groan> Why did I let myself get so far behind? :irked:

:lol: this is exactly how I feel and I'm so far behind it isn't funny, and my memory isn't that good either so I'm in danger of forgetting the plotlines.

Merry Christmas Kylie :xmassmile: and happy reading in 2011 :readingtwo:

I've definitely forgotten most plots so you will notice that my reviews will be very short and along the lines of 'a good read', 'a bad read' etc. :rolleyes: I've been glad to notice that I can combine reviews as I've been reading several series. :giggle2:

I've definitely forgotten most plots so you will notice that my reviews will be very short and along the lines of 'a good read', 'a bad read' etc. :rolleyes: I've been glad to notice that I can combine reviews as I've been reading several series. :giggle2:

Wow serious cheating or what