The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent

Janet

049-2009-Oct-01-TheHereticsDaughter.jpg

The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent

The ‘blurb’

Sarah Carrier has always been at odds with her mother, Martha, who is as tough as Sarah is Wilful. A gifted herbalist, Martha spends her days plucking grasses and plants in the fields, ready to cure whatever ills come her way. The fearful villagers of Andover, near Salem, have already been infected with smallpox and now another, equally devastating plague is ready to strike: that of malicious gossip and tongue-wagging, as poisonous as any disease.

As tales of magic are spun by a group of hysterical young girls, Martha soon finds herself accused of witchcraft. Neither Sarah, nor her brothers, are prepared to see their mother die and are cast into prison themselves. And it is there that Sarah commits a fateful heresy of her own.

Rich with historical detail, The Heretic’s Daughter is a devastating portrait of the transgressions of a small community and the secrets that lie at its heart.

I have had my eye on this since Waterstones gave me a paper bookmark featuring it and have been waiting for months for it to come out in paperback format.

Based on the story of Martha Carrier who was convicted as a witch, it tells the story of the run-up to the accusations against her and also of her subsequent trial, conviction and hanging. The tale is told in her daughter Sarah’s voice as she explains her part in her mother’s conviction to her granddaughter, some 60 years after the event.

Martha Carrier was the only accused to go to the gallows having entirely proclaimed her innocence. Without exception, the other women and men bought to trial for practising witchcraft had at one time or another confessed, even if it was under duress, but Martha steadfastly pleaded not guilty.

Obviously the story is not going to be entirely factually correct, but the author has clearly been meticulous in her research. The parallel story of Sarah’s father and his part in the death of Charles I is based on unproven rumours and gives an air of mystery to the story.

The author has the great skill of building a picture so vivid it is easy to imagine you are living the life of Sarah Carrier, from the fields of her home in Andover, Massachusetts to the stench and squalor of Salem prison. I can really see this being made into a film.

I think comparisons to The Lost Book of Salem (called The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane in the US) will be inevitable, but although both are based on real events and people from the Salem Witch Trials of 1692, the stories are entirely different. It is interesting though that both authors are directly descended from the women they each write about.

I think this was a remarkable d

Edited by Janet
Spelling!

I have not long finished the book myself (The Lost Book of Salem is in my tbr pile) and I found it a fascinating read as well. I have wanted to learn more about the Witch trials for a while, as I have several friends who are witches, and it is seasonal with Halloween at the end of the month. I had some sort of idea as to what went on, but this certainly helped to fill in the gaps. It is a book that I would defianately recommend.

Edited by Talisman

Excellent review, Janet! Thanks for posting it, and now have added it to my wishlist :blush:. Ever since I finished reading The Lost Book of Salem (aka The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane) I have been looking for another book about the Witch Trials. I discovered earlier that I'm descended from a Salem woman who was accused of being a witch but was later aquitted, and it's all so fascinating!

Thanks for the review Janet and very timely it was too as I had mentioned this in the "has anyone read" thread. I loved the Lost Book of Salem so will definitely put this on tbr pile which is at the point of toppling over - one more book should do it;)

I discovered earlier that I'm descended from a Salem woman who was accused of being a witch but was later aquitted, and it's all so fascinating!

Wow - that is fascinating. We both loved Deliverance Dane's story (I think both of us went on about it so much that everyone knows just how much! :blush: ) so I was pleased to get this one. :lol:

June - I'm glad you liked it too.

Muggle and Sue - I'm sure you will enjoy it - I hope so, anyway. :D

Wow - that is fascinating. We both loved Deliverance Dane's story (I think both of us went on about it so much that everyone knows just how much! :blush: ) so I was pleased to get this one. :lol:

We did go on, but we wanted to share the magic! :D I loved that I found a book I was so excited about and then in turn got to share it with everyone else :eek:. Hopefully I'll get to pick up the Heretic's Daughter very soon, and thanks again for your lovely review!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for this review, Janet! I'm going to add this book to my wishlist so I don't forget to borrow it from the library at some point. Very compelling review you gave. :) I'm so glad you enjoyed your read!

I discovered earlier that I'm descended from a Salem woman who was accused of being a witch but was later aquitted, and it's all so fascinating!

That really IS fascinating, Peace! What a great subject for you to research more and more.. So interesting for you. :)

• 1 month later...

That is soooo cool! I can't believe I missed that the first time I read this thread! Brilliant stuff!

I'm just over half way through this book now and would have to agree with others saying it would make a great film.

I can't get over how easy it was in those days to be charged and convicted on the crime of witchcraft! It's not surprising people behaved like sheep in doing what they were told by the local reverend, they were really conscience of what others thought of them, I suppose they had to be, or they'd end up on the gallows!

Yep, it's pretty cool stuff, Charm! My ancestor was Rebecca Blake Eames and was accused in 1692. She was pardoned though before being executed and lived until 1721 when she was in her 80's :lol:.

I think I'm going to have to make a trip this weekend and pick up this book. I'm in the mood to read any and all kinds of historical New England goodies!

It's fascinating stuff though, Charm. I was always surprised at the fact that some people back then believed that if they became ill or something bad happened to them, that they must have done something wrong against God and were being punished! So if the people who were trying to help those who were ill (like witches) they were seen as evil themselves. You just couldn't win! :lol:

Wow peacfield! what a great piece of history you have :lol:

I am on page 84 and at the moment there is just stirrings, I agree with Charm, from reading other books on the salem witch trials, watching documentaries, I find it hard to believe how easy it was to just accuse innocent people but given the time, the mentality. :lol:

Yep, it's pretty cool stuff, Charm! My ancestor was Rebecca Blake Eames and was accused in 1692. She was pardoned though before being executed and lived until 1721 when she was in her 80's .

Thank heavens she was pardoned, although I wouldn't believe she was a witch even if she wasn't, it appears you could have said someone was an alien in those days and the powers that be would have believed you in a heartbeat! :lol:

I think I'm going to have to make a trip this weekend and pick up this book. I'm in the mood to read any and all kinds of historical New England goodies!

I really think you'd love this book, definately historical New England, and very interesting told from a child's point of view, makes you want to find out the underlying stories that the adults don't talk about in front of her. I just hope they're all explained or I'll be :lol:! :readingtwo:

It's fascinating stuff though, Charm. I was always surprised at the fact that some people back then believed that if they became ill or something bad happened to them, that they must have done something wrong against God and were being punished! So if the people who were trying to help those who were ill (like witches) they were seen as evil themselves. You just couldn't win!

I know! Or if you threw a woman into the lake and she floated, she was a witch as she was being held up by the hands of the devil or demons or some other unspeakable. If she sank she wasn't, but the poor sod was dead anyway! How is that a fair test? :lol:

I am on page 84 and at the moment there is just stirrings, I agree with Charm, from reading other books on the salem witch trials, watching documentaries, I find it hard to believe how easy it was to just accuse innocent people but given the time, the mentality.

It didn't appear that many of the ones in power were accused though, you'd think that wouldn't have been more prevelent considering how easy it would have been to get rid of an adversary. Can you imagine that today? Half the government would be going to the gallows! :tong:

I really think you'd love this book, definately historical New England, and very interesting told from a child's point of view, makes you want to find out the underlying stories that the adults don't talk about in front of her. I just hope they're all explained or I'll be :lol:! :lol:

Oh me too! :lol:

Copied from my reading log ~

‘The Heretic’s Daughter’ is the story of Sarah Carrier, daughter of Martha Carrier, one of the many women accused of being a witch and eventually hanged in Salem, Massachusetts. Martha Carrier refuses to answer to any of the accusations made by ‘the afflicted girls’ because like so many others, Martha knows that the accusations are based on lies, the story is told through Sarah’s eyes as she sees her Mother being accused, arrested and being hanged for a crime that did not exist, then the eventual arrest of herself and her three brothers. Sarah and her brothers do what their Mother asks of them, something that kills their spirit and their outlook of the world they thought they knew. Sarah also finds out secrets about her family which helps her to understand her parents more.

I found ‘The Heretic’s Daughter’ to be a interesting and hard hitting story, the story is told by Sarah and reading what happened through the eyes of a young girl makes everything that occurred even more brutal.

I felt anger at the girls who accused so many innocent people and questioned why anyone would believe them, there was a number of people who did question the girls motives and as you read the story, you realise that people who were being accused had at some point argued with the families of the girls who accused them, it seemed to get easier for people to be hanged.

‘The Heretic’s Daughter’ is an interesting story which you can tell has been researched well, a definite read for anyone with an interest (like me) in the Salem Witch Trials.

I'm going to be putting this in my Amazon basket soon. It sounds really interesting.

Thanks for the reviews!:friends0:

You are welcome Cookie, I hope you get the chance to read it, its a excellent book :D

I'm going to be putting this in my Amazon basket soon. It sounds really interesting.

I've just opened a bookring for it if you're interested :D

Copied from my reading log:

My thoughts:

This story is set in 1692 during the hysteria of the Salem witch trials and told from a child's point of view. It is a raw glimpse into a time when a slipped comment or an act of help could be misconstrued into being something more sinister. I found it to be quite a harrowing read, stirring up a mix of emotions from anger about the way the family were treated to sadness when it seemed things couldn't get any worse for young Sarah. It is definately a book which will stay with me for some time.

The relationship between mother and daughter was a strange one, not your typical love and hugs type, more cold than that, but still strong in that Martha Carrier knew her daughter extremely well and so hardened and prepared her as best she could to the hardships of life, while still developing an unspoken loving bond. As young Sarah learned in the end, she was definately 'her mother's daughter'. It never ceased to amaze me how independant and strong in spirit a child could be, she was resilient and adaptable to each and every situation she was placed in, right up until the point where she was imprisoned and even then, being protective of her family.

I loved how the story was written, the author (a tenth-generation descendant of Martha Carrier) manages to create the atmosphere wonderfully, with a swift moving plot and an abundant blend of betrayal and secrets.

If you are in any way interested in the Salem witch trials, I would definately recommend this. It's a well researched, facinating, historical read of the true horrors which were bestowed upon many innocent souls