Do you use your local library...?

Do you use your local library?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use your local library?

I am able to access several libraries as I live in suburbia. They have loads of computers for free use although you have to book a space in advance. The nearest library is nearly always full with students and adults alike - it has a good atmosphere. There is a large selection of audio books and because of the area I live a big selection of Gujarati books.

I borrow regularly - my current reading book is from the library. There is a very grumpy librarian - my husband is determined to make him smile one of these days. :D

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a very grumpy librarian - my husband is determined to make him smile one of these days. :)

How can you be grumpy working in a library? I have to confess though that one or two customers scare me a bit but even then I just smile! - nervously!

I visit my library weekly, I also volunteer there, I do story time for the preschoolers and sometimes shelf, stamp new books, discuss and plan activities for the kids. I love the staff and they have a good selection, I do occasionally have to order something from other branches.

I use my library quite often. I usually take three or four books out at a time but always end up having to renew one of them :) Luckily I can renew books online and also reserve books and check the library catalogue on-line too. Libraries are wonderful places:)

I would be in trouble if my library started charging for reserved titles, but so far I don't think it's in the plans. I did like my prior library's online system (I could reserve up to 100 items at a time, keep track of when they would be in, suspend items if I was going out of town and didn't want to lose my hold spot, renew items all from home) better than my current library's system (it is a much smaller library and you must go in to reserve or renew and often have no idea when your reserved copies may arrive).

It seems I need to reserve quite a few of the books I want on line. It is a nice sized library, but is small compared to many others, however, they don't seem to stock popular books very much (so it is good for finding something different). I have therefore, paid a few 60p reservation fees.

My library seems to be good for reference books and they have a good children's library. We might as well have a children's library upstairs. When I sort those books out properly I will decide if it is worthwhile enrolling Katie yet. If we have enough picture/baby books I might wait until she is old enough to appreciate goin and can get something out of visiting.

Our library doesn't charge to reserve a book, but I still rarely use it. Only if I am fairly certain I won't like a book that is scheduled for a reading thread have I done it.

I guess I just hate giving back a book. Especially if I've enjoyed it a lot. Plus I write in my paperback books [in pencil!], and of course we can't do that with a Library book.

So I voted for the occasional use.

Emma, our library were encouraging parents to enroll their babies and toddlers. Amy loves coming home with a new selection of books to look through, even though she has loads in her bedroom! And she loves having her own card.. makes her feel important! :)

Emma, our library were encouraging parents to enroll their babies and toddlers. Amy loves coming home with a new selection of books to look through, even though she has loads in her bedroom! And she loves having her own card.. makes her feel important! :)

Was just going to say the same, Littley loves having his card and choosing, he often chooses things that he already has and that's a new lease of life for that book but also he picks stuff that is quite hard and he is now desparate to unlock the reading code!

I know kids like libraries. That's what I mean. Katie is far too young to uderstand what books are at the moment. As long as we have some picture books and baby books I can look at those with her for now. When she's old enough I'll then take her to the library..

I loved libraries as a kid but i stopped going to my village library as the woman who worked there was an evil miserable witch so we used to go to the bigger library!!!

My friend who was pregnant read loads of kids books when she was pregnant so the baby could get happy book vibes!!!

My friend who was pregnant read loads of kids books when she was pregnant so the baby could get happy book vibes!!!
My Mam used to bring home bags-full of children's books from the library when she was pregnant with me and read them all aloud so I'd get used to her voice rhythms as she read to me. It must have worked because I still adore books! She tried it again when she was preggers with my sis and encouraged me to "read to the baby" too (although I was only three at the time). I guess my childish tones put Leni off as she's not much of a reader at all - LOL!

Icecream - have you had your book bag for Katie yet? They're free and you get them from your health visitor or the library - there will be two more bundles when she's a bit older. Sorry can't remember off the top of my head whether it's 18 months and 3. When she gets a bit older a lot of libraries do reading schemes where you can get certificates for taking out/reading a number of books. Your local library may also do storytime or rhyme time.

Judy - I thnk I heard omethng about it but haven't received it yet. It's when she's a bit older I think..

The scheme is called BookStart and the first bag is 0-12 months, 18-30 months and then 36-48 months. I think they generally give the first one at 7-9 months.