Star Trek & Stargate (& other Sci-Fi)

Nollaig

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well neither did I, that's why I still have a pounding headache from spending an hour crying after watching that blasted movie! But the fact is he does, and it's pretty epic (as well as heart breaking) so it's worth watching.

See , the thing is, (this is blasphomy, I realise, considering the thread I am in!), I HATE Star Trek! I just love Data. His character was amazing & I could watch the ones he was in over & over & over & over (I think you get the point). My OH loves all things Star Trek, so I have had to suffer through the original, TNG (which was at least bearable), DSN, Voyager & Enterprise......shudder!

Ok, I guess I'd best be going now, before someone kills me! :P

He's only dead in the same respect that Spock was dead after Wrath of Khan. If the story is good enough, or the pay packet large enough, we'll see the character again. Personally, I don't think Nemesis is the end of his story (indeed, it isn't, if you've read Star Trek: Countdown).

Wouldn't read it in a mad fit. Not just because bringing Data back through B4 completely disregrards the entire essence of Data's character, as I've already said, as well as completely undermining the significence of his death - I don't know why anyone would want to do that. I know someone else who read and enjoyed that comic, and even he agreed with me. Then again, comic continuations are always complete rubbish (take the Buffy one for example, Joss Whedon is involved in that and he still managed to allow it become a complete load of tosh) so I'd never read them nor consider them relevant to anything.

I generally don't regard comics and novels as being part of the Trek "canon" - for want of a better term - as there are so many, and they tend to contradict themselves as much as the TV programs they are based on, but at the same time it was pretty obvious from the moment that Data downloaded a copy of himself into B4 that they had an out for the death of his character.

Spiner is on record as saying he doesn't see how he can continue to play an android when he himself is aging, but had Nemesis done better at the box office, and had Stewart and Co. been convinced to come back, I'm sure Data would have been a part of the story, one way or another.

You're horribly cynical aren't you? I thought I was bad. I know money will always win out over anything like the death of a character, but as it is, Spiner himself said, as you just said, he didn't see how he could continue to play Data, and this is how it HAS ended, so concern not yourself with the cynical 'what if's, and just be glad that Data's death need not be the undermined melodramatic irrelevance it could potentially be! Personally, I'm happy that his ending is so defined, he is the only one that could have lived forever, but we actually get to see the vast extent of his life, particularly the humanistic development of it, and even though I'm sad that he is (as far as I am concerned) irrevocably dead, I'm glad that I got to see all of it, if that makes sense.

I don't believe I'm being cynical, I just have a good idea of how the game is played.

Very few shows are willing to kill off main characters, and Star Trek is probably one of the worst offenders.

Tasha Yar died, and then came back as her daughter; Spock died, and got resurrected; Jadzia Dax died, and her character came back again (albeit being played by a different actress). The only character to have died (apart from Data, thus far) is Kirk!

If there had been another Next Generation film - and there still could be, I wouldn't rule it out - I believe Spiner would have been involved. Data’s death scene was written and filmed, but the get out was in place* - that's all I'm saying.

*Thinking about it, in a lot of ways, it's a very similar get out to the one they used in Time's Arrow.

Edited by Raven

It's a good movie, but it went in a different direction (read as; action blockbuster) to what I would like (read as; even remotely intellectual). As my brother said, it made Nemesis look like a masterpiece.

It's a good movie, but it went in a different direction (read as; action blockbuster) to what I would like (read as; even remotely intellectual). As my brother said, it made Nemesis look like a masterpiece.

It took me a couple of viewings to fully warm to the idea, but to my mind Star Trek went in the right direction for a movie franchise that is [probably] going to be carrying the Star Trek flag for the next few years (and it was a much better film than Nemesis).

Whilst I'd agree that it was thin on intellectual ideas, having re-watched some episodes from the rather po-faced TNG again recently, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I do think the next film will need to have a bit more meat on its bones, story wise, however.

Has anyone been watching Stargate Universe?

No, but I've heard good things about it and I'm looking forward to it being released on DVD at some point!

I'm currently watching SG-1 season 9 for the first time and it's strange seeing Ben Browder and Claudia Black together in a show without anyone yelling "Frell!" every five minutes!

Stargate Universe is about as inspiring as the new Star Trek movie.

It's so MELODRAMATIC, it couldn't be more dramatic if they had 13 year old emos playing the part! That third episode, my god -

"I know how you feel given that your dad pulled a Bruce-Willis-In-Armageddon, see both my parents died when I was a kiddy and then I was raised by an (IRISH IF YOU DON'T MIND) priest who drank himself to death when I was 16, and I just had hallucinations in a desert on an alien planet while being aided by an inexplicable potentially halluncinatory whirlwind.'

It nearly turned me suicidal to avoid watching the end of it :P

It's not funny, the characters (other than Rush who I love) are completely forgettable, and there's nothing NEW in it.

What's going to happen in the next episode?

OMG we're flying towards the sun - well how about the ship is one giant solar panel, we'd never be lucky enough that they all just die now. Though I would miss Rush.

Does anyone else on here like Babylon Five ? I know I have probably asked this before ...

Yes, although I feel I missed large chunks of it. I was fascinated by the development of some of the characters. One day I may indulge in the box set! :D

I would highly recommend it - to the best of my knowledge, it is the only, and certainly the first series, to have the five year story arc. My favourite characters are definately G'Kar and Marcus. I couldn't believe it when he died - that was so sad. I would have loved to have seen him and Ivanava get together. As for those Shadows - they were scary !

• 3 weeks later...